Chapter [9]

Call My Agent

 

« Everything is good. »

 

Minnie looks one last time at the three contracts in front of her, Soojin and Remy are sitting in front of her desk, waiting for the woman to give them the contracts.

 

The three of them have finally managed to settle for the CEO position. Starting next August, Soojin and Remy will be the co-CEO of NYA, and Minnie will leave her functions to them both for a whole year. Soojin and Remy will be helped by a team of lawyers. In case of conflict between the two co-CEO, Minnie will have the last word.

 

To take any major decisions, the two need the other approval.

 

There are a couple of pages with special clauses, such as Soojin's whole month abroad where Remy will be in charge of the things Soojin can’t handle as she is away. James and Yuqi will also have more work as a part of the talents under the care of Soojin and Remy will exceptionally be handled by them during the year.

 

Remy pushed to make the contract clear on a specific matter; Soojin and he are both responsible for the business side of Minnie’s position, and he won’t be alone facing it. It was important for him, and neither Soojin nor Minnie fought over it. Surprisingly, Soojin had been comprehensive about Remy, and Minnie felt more confident trusting the company between the hands of the duo as she saw how well they work together.

 

Soojin never lets Remy behind, and Remy always pushes Soojin further. Minnie knows the duo is one of the foundations of the success of her company. NYA wouldn’t have made it this far without the passion inside Soojin and the artistic strategy developed by Remy for his talents.

 

« Let’s sign, then. »

 

Remy hands a pen to Soojin. The three of them sign one contract, then gives it to the one on their right and repeat it until each of them has signed the three contracts. Remy rubs Soojin’s legs under the desk, he knows it will be a big deal for them both.

 

« Yuqi and James will also have a document to sign. Before I let you two go… »

 

Minnie sits up in her seat and claps her hands together, a sign she has something important to say. She looks at each of them, her eyes are kind, heavy with worries, but trying to convey to her two agents how much she trusts them and appreciates them. Contrary to her fiancée, she doesn’t manifest her feelings through physical contact, but rather through words of affirmation, and discreet actions.

 

Minnie prefers to show people she sees them, that she understands them, and that she acknowledges their effort and hardship. Words of affirmations. She knows Soojin isn’t a big fan of those, she prefers the physical love of Miyeon or the comforting contact of Remy. Soojin likes when people, she loves, touch her, she feels like she exists this way.

 

« … I am eternally thankful to the two of you. As your employer, but most importantly as your friend. There is no one I trust more to do this job and to take care of the cinema the way you two do. I wished to always have the means to completely support every single one of your decisions, and I hope you both know I do always respect and support you. »

 

Soojin bites her lips, Remy reaches out to hold her hand in his, and Soojin squeezes it. Minnie smiles as she sees them interact.

 

« I am proud of you, of the work you do, of the passion you share, of the art you help to create. I hope we continue to share the same path for a long time, as I want to continue to grow with you two. You are very dear to me, and I am grateful to have met you. »

 

Soojin nods, Minnie knows to not expect any response from the woman. Remy gives her a thumb up, and Minnie understands it is more than just a gesture.

 

The two agents leave Minnie’s office, Soojin rushes to the elevator, rides up to the rooftop, and finally, when she reaches the fresh air, she explodes in tears. As always when her emotions overwhelm her, she crouches down and buries her face between her knees. Here on the roof, as the sun of the afternoon hits her, she lets herself cry.

 

There is a part of Soojin that ashes to hear those words from her parents’ mouths.


 

« What is your favorite food? »

 

« Hum. »

 

« I asked you a question. »

 

« It is… meat. »

 

« Just meat? There isn’t any dish you prefer? »

 

Soojin finally puts down her phone and looks in front of her, longly. Shuhua believes there is no need to think about the question so deeply, but she doesn’t want to break Soojin’s focus so she waits.

 

The two women are hanging out in Shuhua’s caravan. The production for the new MBC drama has already started, but Shuhua isn’t planning to film before another hour. Since Soojin always takes a lunch break, Shuhua decided to call her, and the agent came to the filming.

 

Even if Soojin is here, she is always on her phone, scrolling through her emails, sending messages, and emails. So Shuhua feels proud when she manages to get Soojin’s attention on her, even for a few minutes.

 

« I think I like samgyeopsal the most. »

 

Soojin nods to herself, well aware it would be too complicated to explain why her favorite dish is a French one. As much as she likes Shuhua, she doesn’t feel like sharing this part of herself with the actress just yet.

 

« What about you? »

 

« Chocolate! »

 

Shuhua perks up as she mentions her favorite food, she even starts to explain why what brand of chocolate is her favorite, and which to eat according to her mood. Soojin listens intensely, she doesn’t even pick up her phone to continue working, she sits on the couch next to Shuhua and listens.

 

« Also… I wanted to say thank you for the other day at the party. »

 

« You’re welcome. »

 

« You know a lot of people. »

 

« That’s my job. »

 

Shuhua nods, her brain is working hard, trying to find a way to make Soojin talk, but the agent has the tendency to answer questions in quite a frustrating way. It is a relief when the agent decides to speak.

 

« Speaking of it… »

 

Soojin her dry lips taking the time to choose her next words. Shuhua’s eyes automatically focus on the action, the cherry red lips are how so attractive. Shuhua bites her lips, she doesn’t realize how she naturally leans toward Soojin.

 

« … Remy told me I was quite drunk at the party. I hope I wasn’t too… annoying. »

 

« No! Not at all! »

 

« You don’t have to lie to me. I won’t get angry at you if you tell me the truth. »

 

Soojin chuckles and Shuhua joins her. The agent knows some people fear her and try to stay on her good side whatever the cost, but she wishes they wouldn’t. She wishes people would be more honest with her, and wouldn’t care so much about her reaction.

 

« You weren’t annoying at all! »

 

« Well, good then. I hope you had a good time. »

 

« I did. It was really… nice. A lot of people, but… it was nice. I had fun. »

 

Soojin nods, she smiles ever so gently at Shuhua, and Shuhua smiles back. They only break eye contact when a staff of the filming knocks at the door to tell Shuhua it will soon be her turn to film.

 


 

« You see the office over there? Hum? Well, that’s where you should have been an hour ago. »

 

« Come on, Miyeon. I called to say I wouldn’t be able to make it. »

 

« Where were you? »

 

« Out of town. »

 

« What for? »

 

« Unnie… »

 

« Don’t start. It won’t work. »

 

« I am sorry. »

 

« Soojin. It is important, you know this meeting was important. Your presence is required, it isn’t an option to come or not. »

 

« I am sorry. I forgot. »

 

« Yong called you ten times. »

 

« Unnie… »

 

Miyeon grits her teeth, if there is one thing she finds hard to resist it is Soojin’s pleading tone as she refers to her as “unnie” rather than her name, especially at the office. The publicist groans, and walks Soojin to her office, she closes the door behind them and tells the woman to sit down.

 

Soojin has been a bit out of it those last days. Obviously, she is still as passionate about her work, and none of her talents have complained about her, but she has been less and less present at the office, missing important meetings. Despite the many reminders sent by Yong, the agent failed to be present enough time for Miyeon and Minnie to notice.

 

« Jinnie, is there something wrong? »

 

« No. Why? »

 

« You have been absent a lot. We have been wondering if you were okay. »

 

« Minnie and you? … Well, I am fine. »

 

« I can understand it can be stressful sometimes. The movie, the talents, and now the CEO position, but you can tell us when it is too much for you, Jinnie. »

 

Miyeon rubs Soojin’s leg, but the agent doesn’t say anything, and it is to be expected. After all, they are at work, Miyeon understands and so she doesn’t push it.

 

« You should sleep over tonight. Okay? »

 

« Hum. »

 

« Also, I sent you all the notes about the meeting you missed. Okay? Give Minnie and me a review of it. Okay? »

 

« Hum. »

 

« Good. Go now. I’ll see you tonight. »

 

« Hum. »

 

Soojin walks to her office, Yong finds her on the way and explains to her how she organized her desk. With a pile of scripts, another of the notes given by Miyeon, and finally one with the important mails Soojin has failed to take care of.

 

The agent spends all her afternoon going through the three piles. Like there has been a common word passed around the office, no one bothers her. Soojin loses herself in her work, without even taking a single break from it. Yong brings her a coffee at some point, she knows Soojin so well she can anticipate her needs.

 

When Soojin is done, the sun is already on the other side of the globe, and most of the office has been cleared out. Only one office is still light up, Soojin takes her stuff and walks there. Through the glass wall of the office, she can see Yuqi at her desk, deep in thought.

 

« Is everything okay? »

 

« Oh. I didn’t know you were still here. »

 

Soojin sits down in front of the younger woman. She takes the documents laying in front of her and starts to read through them. Nothing is interesting, and she puts them back down. Instead, she looks at the other woman, Yuqi is already looking right back at her.

 

Soojin knows those eyes. She doesn’t like them.

 

« Ask. »

 

« What happened between Soyeon and you? »

 

« Why do you care? »

 

Yuqi doesn’t respond, she starts to munch on her cheek, and she avoids Soojin’s stare. When finally she confronts her gaze, Soojin sees a glimpse of envy.

 

« I see. Well in this case I will answer you. »

 

Soojin leans back on her seat, she focuses as she has to dive back into memories from years ago. Before she was an agent before she knew anything about the beauty of the world, and before she was the person she is now.

 

« We met at university. We shared some classes, and eventually, we got closer. We… Soyeon… I… I fell in love with her. And then, we broke up. After that, we never talked to each other ever again, until now. »

 

« What happened, why did you break up? »

 

Soojin groans, but Yuqi’s eyes convince her to answer. She needs a moment, it is hard to open boxes she had sealed a long time ago. She bites her tongue and takes a deep breath.

 

« We broke up because… because it was as far as our relationship could go. »

 

« Do you… Do you still… love her? »

 

Yuqi’s last words are nothing but a whisper. Soojin looks at the desk in front of her, and then she builds the courage to look at Yuqi.

 

« I don’t think so. »

 

« Then… Why do you avoid her? »

 

Yuqi doesn’t expect a change in Soojin’s posture. Her shoulders tense up, her breath becomes shaky, and she holds her hands together, diving her nails in the back of her hand.

 

Before those last months, Yuqi always saw Soojin as a strong person. The woman could have her excess of anger and rage, but Yuqi had understood quickly it was only her passion speaking up. There was never an ounce of bad intentions in her, every single one of her actions had the same goal: to push the cinema further.

 

But over the last months, as she got closer to the woman, Yuqi realized there was more depth to her character. Soojin was also vulnerable, there was a part of her that always seek out company, which was scared of being alone. Yuqi can’t get out of her mind the many times a tired Soojin asked her to stay the night with her. It didn’t make sense at first, but eventually, she learned that Soojin’s family wasn’t in Korea but on the other side of the world, and she didn’t seem to have much contact with them.

 

There is a part of Soojin bigger than her passion which she tries her best to keep locked. And apparently, Soyeon lives in this part of Soojin’s heart.

 

« I have to go. Miyeon is waiting for me. »

 

Soojin stands up, takes her stuff with her, and walks toward the door. Yuqi doesn’t miss her shaky state, nor the marks on her nails in her left hand.

 

« See you tomorrow, Yuqi. Good night. »

 


 

« We should take a picture together. »

 

Lee Eungae wraps her arm around Soojin’s waist to bring the agent closer. Soojin groans, the actress adores her agent very much and always tries to immortalize their moment together with a picture. Like right now as they are at the opening of a pop-up store for a major fashion brand.

 

Lee Eungae pulls at her agent, trying to make her walk on the photo call with her so they can take a press picture together. The thing is, the press adores Eungae, so they support her idea of taking a picture with her agent. Soojin groans strongly but follows the actress.

 

« Smile for the cameras! »

 

« Hum. »

 

Soojin poses next to Eungae; in her black suit, with her long dark hair and her iconic cherry lips, the agent is to die for. The press pictures will come out wonderfully with Eungae and her white look, the actress in her dress looks innocent near her dark-dressed agent, together they form an amazing couple.

 

« Thank you. »

 

Eungae squeezes Soojin against her. They walk away from the photo call, Eungae in Soojin’s arms even if the agent keeps telling her she isn’t supposed to be walking with her. Eungae promises once inside she will do all her press-pictures alone, and explains that it gives her strength to be near Soojin for now. Soojin doesn’t argue more.

 

« I haven’t seen you in a while. »

 

« I know. You were visiting your family. »

 

« My mom made some side dishes for you by the way. »

 

« I will call her to say thank you. »

 

« You know, my mom would love to have you over one day. »

 

« Hum. »

 

Soojin doesn’t do it on purpose, she tries very hard to keep her relationship professional as much as possible. Except quite often, personal and professional mix together and she finds herself invited over to some family dinner more often than not.

 

When Soojin realized the line between professional and personal was so hard to keep clear, she started to choose her talents even more carefully, only investing her sweat and tears in people who deserved it. Obviously, she isn’t close with every single one of them, Eungae and Yiseo are among the exceptions.

 

« I will see you at the gathering after. Okay? Make a sign if something is wrong. »

 

Eungae nods, she finally lets go of Soojin and walks inside the shop while Soojin stays backstage. The agent busies herself by looking around, she nods at the people she knows, and she is careful not to start any conversation with anyone. Those are usually pointless and last for hours.

 

Soojin keeps an eye on Eungae the whole time, she is only distracted by her phone which keeps buzzing in her pocket. The constant buzzing forces her to respond, she isn’t surprised to see it is Shuhua bugging her with messages. Usually, Shuhua prefers to call her, but when she can’t she messages her, like right now.

 

Soojin doesn’t really know where is the actress right now. From what she is writing, she seems to be bored as she is sending Soojin cute kitten videos and random updates about her state of mind. Soojin responds with an emoji before pushing her phone back into her pocket.

 

Shuhua keeps up her updates, and Soojin continues to respond. Sometimes an emoji, other times a gif, and even once a real answer she typed herself. Shuhua is funny, witty even, and Soojin even lets out a small laugh at one of the messages.

 

« Not that I don’t like seeing you smiling but you weren’t paying attention to me. »

 

« Look. »

 

Soojin shows the funny video to Eungae while they start making their way to the terrace at the top of the building where is held the pop-up store event. The terrace is press free with only a few photographers allowed in, and it already feels less heavy. It is a sort of after-party where people invited meet up, drink, and eat together.

 

Soojin keeps playing with her phone, and Eungae looks at the sender of the texts.

 

« Is it Shuhua as Yeh Shuhua the actress? »

 

« Hum. »

 

« I didn’t know you guys were close like this. You rarely ever answer my texts. »

 

« You don’t text. »

 

« Fair. I actually thought she was shy, she didn’t even talk to me once when we were doing the auditions for Park Jiwan. »

 

« Hum. »

 

« I thought I would have booked the role easily, to be honest. I really wanted to play for Jiwan. »

 

Soojin finally looks up from her phone, she grabs a glass of champagne from one of the trays carried by the servers and drinks it in one big gulp.

 

« Why did you take the casting easily? »

 

« I did not. I just thought I would be chosen for the part. Shuhua doesn’t have much experience and- »

 

« It wasn’t about experience. »

 

« Yeah but- »

 

« No. »

 

« Okay. Tell me then. Would you have picked Shuhua if it was up to you, and only you? »

 

« Yes. Shuhua was the obvious choice. Park Jiwan had already chosen her during the first audition. The second one was only to confirm her choice. »

 

« Why did I bother then? »

 

Soojin sighs, she grabs another cup of champagne and drinks it all again. Eungae bites her lips, she knows her agent, and right now she is slowly sliding on a dangerous path. Yet, she continues, because Eungae wanted the role and she is a bit bitter that Shuhua, an actress who has only played in a few dramas got the part instead of her. Her who played in major movies, and her who has received the Rookie Award.

 

« You bothered because this is your job. If you don’t want to do it according to the rules anymore, you tell me and I will direct you toward someone who matches your morals. »

 

« Come on. I was just asking. I was curious. »

 

« You think I am stupid? This isn’t the first time, but keep it going and one day it will be the last time you and I have this talk. »

 

« I was just asking. Jeez. »

 

Soojin grabs her third glass of champagne and walks away. The agent keeps on drinking, in one of the corners of the rooftop. Soojin is pretty and she knows that despite the celebrities present at the event, some of the stares are at her. She acknowledges none of them, lost in her thoughts.

 

The conversation with Eungae put her in a horrible mood and the only reason she is staying is to make sure the actress goes back home safely.

 


 

« Oh. That’s you. »

 

« Well, I am your agent after all. »

 

Shuhua continues to eat her lunch as Yuqi takes a seat next to her. The agent fishes out a stack of papers out of her bag and puts them down on the table in front of them.

 

« This is the script for the next episode. »

 

« Thanks. Want some? »

 

« Not really, I ate with Soojin already. »

 

« Oh! »

 

Shuhua perks up at the mention of Soojin. She was expecting the agent to join her on the set, as she does quite often, but instead, Yuqi came. Even if the two take care of her, Shuhua likes having Soojin with her. The agent is quite… pleasant.

 

« I didn’t know you guys were hanging out so often. »

 

« She only visits me during my breaks. »

 

« Really? »

 

« Yeah. »

 

« That is very nice of her. »

 

Shuhua nods, indeed, she appreciates every moment she can share with the agent. She feels a bit lonely on the set, everyone is older than her, and the actors have created a certain friendship between them as they shot a lot of scenes together.

 

On the other hand, Shuhua has only been present for a few days, and her scenes don’t make her interact with many of them. Even if everyone is very nice to her, she feels a bit left out. Soojin’s company is what makes it bearable. The agent always orders her delicious food, and when she isn’t completely absorbed by her phone, she talks with Shuhua until she gets called to film.

 

« You seem to like her. »

 

« Yes. She… Soojin looks out for me. »

 

« Are you saying I don’t? »

 

« No. I am saying, she is very present. Like… She is not what people say her to be like. »

 

« Well, glad you realized it. »

 

« I never doubted it. »

 

Yuqi steals some of Shuhua’s food, the actress lets her, and even pushes the container closer to Yuqi.

 

« To be honest, I was worried Soojin wanted to steal you from me. »

 

« What do you mean? »

 

« When Soojin promoted herself as your second agent, I was upset. I worked so hard to promote you, and book commercials, and web dramas for you at the beginning. Minnie, and Remy, both believed in you a lot, and when you signed with me, I promised myself I will make it work for you. I saw how passionate and hard-working you were, and this is why I worked so hard for you. »

 

Shuhua has stopped eating, her entire attention now on Yuqi.

 

« I have done all the work, and she just took the result, without even asking. I think… a part of me couldn’t be mad at Soojin as much as I wished. And this is why I accepted it without even fighting. And now… I see you, I see it. Soojin knows what she does, and there were never any bad intentions in her actions. »

 

Yuqi sighs.

 

« You should trust Soojin. I trust her. If anything, Soojin pushed you more than I could have. I know you have quite the dream, I hope you know you can trust Soojin and me to make it happen. »

 

Shuhua looks intensely at Yuqi next to her. There are hundreds of thoughts in her head and nothing at the same time. The knowledge you aren’t the only one who believes in yourself, Shuhua isn’t very familiar with it.

 

There is a long silence between them.

 


 

« You are concerned. »

 

Minnie smoothens the wrinkles between Miyeon’s eyebrows. Her fiancée is laying on the couch with her, snuggled in between her arms as they are watching a movie together, but she can clearly feel that something isn’t right. To be honest, she has already guest the reason, but she prefers waiting for her fiancée to tell her.

 

« Soojin is not doing okay. »

 

Minnie leans her cheek on top of Miyeon’s head as she listens silently. There is no need for her to answer, she knows Miyeon needs to figure out her thoughts about her concern first and to do so, she needs to say them out loud.

 

« She spends all of her time outside of the office. I understand she has meetings, and she visits her talents on set, but this is more than usual. I called her three times before an important reunion and she didn’t show up when she was the one to ask me to organize it for Park Jiwan’s movie future promotion. »

 

Miyeon sighs hard, she closes her eyes for a second.

 

« I don’t know what to do, she refuses to talk to me. I want to help her. I don’t understand why she refuses to let me in. I can see that something is wrong, and it worries me. »

 

Minnie squeezes Miyeon in her arms, and the woman relaxes a little. She finds her fiancée’s hand and intertwines their fingers.

 

« Even the other day when she slept over, I could see something was bothering her. I really worry about her, Nicha. »

 

« I know, love. »

 

Minnie squeezes Miyeon against her even more. She wraps her arms around her waist, and breath in the scent of the woman she loves.

 

Soojin used to be a source of concern for Minnie because her closeness with Miyeon wasn’t easy to manage at first. The hardest thing had been to understand how the dynamic between the three of them would work. Especially when she first started to date Miyeon.

 

Miyeon tended to put Soojin first in her list of important things, and Soojin always puts Miyeon before anyone else in her list of people. This was a real trouble for Minnie as she struggled to find her place between the two, but Miyeon showed her many time how much she loved her, and that she wanted it to work between them. Surprisingly Soojin too.

 

Placing Miyeon first in her list of people also meant placing Miyeon’s happiness first, and Minnie was part of Miyeon’s happiness. It took a moment, and many tries, but Minnie no longer doubt her place. Miyeon will always be the first one for Soojin, and Soojin will always be among Miyeon’s daily concerns, but the two don’t let the importance of their relationship overtake Minnie’s place.

 

« Sometimes, people need to figure out things for themselves before sharing with someone else. You know Soojin loves you very much, and she will come to you when she feels like it. Okay? »

 

« Thank you. »

 

Miyeon turns around in Minnie’s arms, she leans in to give her a gentle kiss before snuggling back in her arms. She rests her head on her shoulder and snuggles even closer in her hold.

 

 


The plot is moving forward through baby steps. The worst part is that I have a scene in my head between Shuhua and Soojin that is amazing and I won't be able to make it happen before I don't know how many chapters because it needs 10 thousand things to happen before and I am dying. I always wanted to try to write slow burn; turns out it is as painful as reading it. Do not recommend.

In other news. Yuqi and Shuhua got a scene together after nine chapters. This is a mess, Yuqi is Shuhua's agent and it is only now that we see them interact! Please forgive me.

Also, I have finally figured out everyone's age. So Soojin and Soyeon are 28, but this was mentioned already since Miyeon met Soojin when she was 18 and it has been 10 years since they have known each other. Shuhua is 23, she said it twice already. Yuqi is 26, so it fits well with her background story and her meeting with Remy. Minnie is 29, Miyeon is 30, and Remy is the oldest, he is 33.