Chapter [5]

Call My Agent

 

« We aren’t waiting for Soojin? »

 

« Soojin will be away for a few days, she has important meetings to attend in and out of Seoul. »

 

James nods as Minnie answers his question. Indeed, the agent hasn’t been around these days, but he never really asked why and thought she was just out when he was at the office.

 

The usual reunion Minnie organizes at the beginning and the end of the week starts. Yong takes notes for Soojin. Instead of Soojin sitting near Remy, it is Yuqi and James is on the couch. The company has been going at a fast rhythm, with everyone ending and starting new projects at the same time.

 

While Soojin is booked with Park Jiwan’s movie, all the other agents are going strong behind their talents. Soojin’s drive stimulates the dynamic of NYA more than the other agents notice. James grew a lot ever since his beginning under NYA, always pushed to do his best by Soojin’s ethic.

 

« I am really pleased with everyone's results. We are almost in the middle of the year, and we already have a couple of very good movies on list for the Blue Dragon Film Awards. »

 

Minnie claps her hands, she believes good work should be acknowledged. The CEO, from having been an agent herself, knows how important it is to be supported by your boss, and she never hesitates to say when things are good.

 

« Some of our talents have also shown their capabilities in drama this year, and we have more to come in the second half of the year. Don’t slack off, and keep the good work. »

 

Yuqi nods, unlike Remy and Soojin, most of her talents are booked in dramas, which are widely popular in Korea but can be regarded as less worthy than movies. Yet, Minnie never forgets to mention the value of dramas, pushing Yuqi’s work to the light.

 

« On a more personal note… »

 

Everyone looks in Minnie’s direction, the woman suddenly turns almost shy. Her natural commanding aura is still here, but the subtle blush on her cheeks indicates she is going to say something personal. Remy is already smiling.

 

« You may have already heard it around the office. Miss. Cho and I are planning to get married this summer. »

 

Siwoo, Yuqi’s assistant, and Yong clap their hands together excitedly. Soon everyone congratulates Minnie, the CEO doesn’t know where to look, she chooses to look at Remy who gives her two thumbs up.

 

« Since my work life is very much important, all of you are invited. You should receive an invitation in the following month. That would conclude today’s reunion. »

 

Remy tells Minnie she did good, the woman is always so reluctant to share her personal life. He knows she went out of her way when she admitted her work and so the people she works with are important to her. It isn’t exactly what she said, but he knows this is what she meant.

 


 

« You are like a dog. »

 

Jiwan only implies that Soojin never lets go once she has a good grip on something, the agent understands what she means. Still, she frowns a little at the not-so-subtle comparison.

 

« You know how to sway a lady. »

 

Soojin furiously continues to type on her computer. Park Jiwan next to her chuckles, she thinks the agent is quite impressive. In the back of her head, she makes a note to thank Lee Sanghoon for introducing her to Soojin.

 

Jiwan has never seen someone carry on a project with such passion, not even herself. Every second she finds herself doubting her movie, she just has to look at Soojin to know she is on the right track.

 

The two women are currently in Busan, freshly out of a meeting with potential funding for the movie. Soojin believes they shouldn’t only look at big companies, but also knock on the door of middle-sized one, it could give them more flexibility with the creative process.

 

With Soojin in charge of finding the funding, and getting together a team of producers to assure the crew hiring and the budgeting, Park Jiwan has all the freedom she needs concerning her creative decision-making. Soojin still booked an appointment with a producer she deeply trusts to help Jiwan in her visualization of the movie.

 

Jiwan finds it hard to say no to Soojin, not when the woman drives the project beyond her expectations. Right now, as the agent is typing another email on her computer, Jiwan finds her attractive.

 

« Tell me Soojin, how far are you aiming for with this movie? »

 

« Cannes. »

 

« I see. »

 

Soojin feels there is something Jiwan isn’t telling her, and maybe it is time for them to have an honest conversation. She pushes away her computer and looks at the screenwriter in front of her. In her early forty, she wears her hair in a bob, she aborts simple colors, and her smell always feels like she is fresh out of the shower. There is nothing fancy about her, except for her mind.

 

« I think for this to work we should be honest with each other. »

 

« I agree. »

 

« Why did you hit on me during a professional dinner? »

 

Jiwan holds Soojin’s gaze. It is heavy and deep. The agent is very serious, but not angry. Soojin hasn’t fought a single time with Jiwan yet, but Jiwan has seen her at meetings and heard about her in the industry; she knows she should be aware of Soojin.

 

« If we are being honest, then I thought you were really pretty. I still think you are very attractive. »

 

« I am not interested. »

 

« I understood that. I am sorry it was unprofessional of me. »

 

« This should never happen again. Nor with me, nor with anyone else. I am trusting you for this project, I am trusting you with our actresses and actors. You have to respect everyone, just like everyone respect you. »

 

Jiwan is taken aback. Soojin is firm with her words, it feels terrifying because the woman stays completely calm, but in her eyes, there is a fire you know will burn you. Jiwan understands why people fear Soojin.

 

« If you do not take care of your actors, they die. If no one fight for new ideas, they die. I am fighting for you because I believe in you and choose to see past your actions. But don’t misunderstand me, I fight for my actors before anything else. Without them, there is no movie, there is no cinema. »

 

Soojin pulls her computer back toward her and continues to type. Jiwan lets out a breath she didn’t even know she was holding.

 


 

« You got a tan? I thought it was all business for you. »

 

« Shut up. … I fell asleep in the swimming pool. »

 

Remy chuckles, the two are in the open kitchen of the office, drinking their cup of coffee. The first one for Remy but already the second one for Soojin. The woman is freshly back from her week of meetings to find funding for Jiwan’s movie. It was quite successful, and Jiwan decided to celebrate by spending an afternoon at the swimming pool of their hotel.

 

Soojin eventually fell asleep under the sun. The woman has been giving her everything every second of each hour she was awake, and completely forgotten to take a breath. After every meeting, she had called Minnie, asking her thoughts on the proposition she got, needing more ways to understand the financial aspect of making a movie.

 

Remy helped her too, only a little because he doesn’t want to come back to his days when he was doing business for his former boss. Soojin thanked him a lot, she knew he did what he could.

 

In the end, they are still in discussion with the companies interested in Jiwan’s movie, and nothing has been signed. Soojin will have to go back again, but not before a moment. It feels good to know she will only have to focus on her talents for now. Finding funding is really not an interesting part of the job.

 

« I want to say you look horrible from the fatigue, but the tan makes you look good. »

 

« So nice of you. »

 

Soojin chuckles behind her cup of coffee. The kitchen starts to get crowded, and Miyeon enters with Yong at her side. The publicist happily greats Soojin, it has been a while since she has seen her, and she even compliments her tan.

 

Soon after, Yuqi arrives, and Soojin immediately perks up.

 

« Yuqi, I have to talk with you. I will meet you in your office. »

 

Soojin runs to her own office and collects something from one of her drawers.

 

Yuqi didn’t get the occasion to confront Soojin about Shuhua’s contract yet, and she still doesn’t know how to bring the subject. It needs to be done, she knows, but Soojin… The problem is that she respects Soojin a lot, everyone respect Soojin a lot, and most importantly, Minnie always seems to have her back.

 

It is one thing to confront Soojin, it is another to risk being on bad terms with her CEO.

 

« Yuqi! We have many things to tell each other. Let me close the door. »

 

Yuqi feels like it is Soojin’s office. The woman is always so confident about everything. She is never scared to make her voice heard.

 

« Minnie told me about your thoughts on Shuhua’s contract. I think I should explain myself. »

 

« Minnie- »

 

« First, I want to apologize. You have all the rights to fight for your talent and it is selfish of me to not want to let you do so. I admit it. Shuhua is the best cast. »

 

Soojin smiles sincerely. She really thought about what Minnie told her the past few weeks, and there is no reason for her to act in such a way. It is even unfair to Yuqi.

 

« I also wanted to talk about the contract. You owe me a favor, remember? »

 

Yuqi chuckles awkwardly, she really should think of her words more carefully with Soojin.

 

« Shuhua is your talent, and I am not taking her away from you. But when it comes to this movie, all the promotion abroad will be done with me as her agent. This is all I ask. »

 

« You didn’t really ask. »

 

« I prefer when things are done clearly. »

 

« Sure. »

 

« Glad we agreed on this. Now, I have something for you. »

 

Yuqi watches as Soojin puts down a script on her desk. There is a red post-it on it with Shuhua written on it.

 

« Shuhua’s drama is doing well, but before the filming of the movie, she should act in a drama a bit bigger. This one is perfect. The cast is quite fancy, but they are still searching for a second lead actress. »

 

Yuqi pulls the script to herself, she opens it and sees the vaguely familiar name of Jeon Soyeon. Soojin starts to explain how everything is already ready for the start of the shoot, Shuhua only has to learn the script. The first reading is in two weeks, so Yuqi has to decide fast.

 

« This will greatly help me to find funds. The more known Shuhua gets, the more willing companies will be to invest their money. »

 

« I understand. I will talk with Shuhua about it. »

 

« I already organized a rendezvous with the screenwriter for Shuhua and you. Well. If you need me or anything, don’t hesitate to reach out. »

 

Soojin finishes their discussion with a genuine smile, and a wink before leaving Yuqi’s office.

 


 

« You are slacking off! »

 

« I am doing my best. »

 

Soojin runs up to Remy’s level, the man picks up the pace again, and Soojin grunts. Still, she pushes herself to keep up with her friend.

 

It is Wednesday morning, and the two friends always go for a run in the morning. Everyone knows to not expect them at the office before noon. Minnie encourages her employees to take a morning off to practice any kind of sport.

 

Soojin and Remy run together. James swims, Yuqi plays tennis, and Miyeon and Minnie go to the gym. Soojin follows them sometimes, but she always prefers to be outside. Miyeon says she is a wild child at heart, Minnie just thinks Soojin’s energy isn’t meant to be restricted.

 

« Soojin, I can’t see you anymore. »

 

« you. »

 

Soojin breathes as she picks up her pace again, she catches up with Remy and even tries to distance him. It ends up in a sprint, the first one to pass through the gates of the park. Soojin is in front for the most part, but she starts to curse like a sailor when Remy takes the lead toward the end.

 

« Loser. »

 

« Shut up. »

 

They catch their breath while sending threats to the other. Remy offers the breakfast at a nearby restaurant. Soojin eats for two after running, and he thinks it is funny. The two then get to their place to change. They live in the same neighborhood for Soojin to ring his bell whenever she needs some company, which happens more often than she would admit.

 

« Catch you later. I have a business lunch. »

 

« Hum… Later. »

 

They go their separate way. Soojin takes her time to look around her and even buys a rainbow pop stick on her way home.

 

« Hello, Soojin. »

 

The agent turns around, her tongue out to her pop stick, she meets Shuhua who looks at her half surprised half amused. The actress is wearing a simple spring dress, with her wavy hair and small figure, Soojin finds her adorable. Yet she frowns when they meet eyes.

 

« Shuhua. Are you following me? »

 

« Maybe it is you following me. »

 

« That is not my style. »

 

« I thought you were always so busy. »

 

« You thought of me? I remember you not wanting to address me for more than five minutes a day. »

 

« I failed to see this clause in my contract. »

 

« Read it again, then. »

 

Shuhua watches as Soojin’s lips let out of the rainbow pop stick with a pop. The agent looks different, with her hair in a ponytail, sweat dripping down her neck, and her very tight sports clothes on.

 

« I have work to do. »

 

« Sure. »

 

« See you around, Shuhua. »

 

Soojin leaves before the actress can say more, she continues to walk with her pop stick in . Shuhua has to admit, that Soojin has a certain charm when she isn’t all mighty in her agent role.

 

A charm Shuhua likes.

 


 

« Song Yuqi? I thought I had rendezvous with Seo Soojin. »

 

Yuqi appears at the front desk directly from her office and is a bit late for her meeting with Jeon Soyeon. She almost runs into someone but catches herself before the impact. She ends up face to face with a woman she has never seen before.

 

Wolf cut, bangs in front of her eyes, provocative look, and mysterious eyes. Yuqi apologizes a couple of times, bowing and stumbling in her words. There is even a blush rising to her cheeks, she feels her heart beat faster, and her eyes refuse to leave the woman’s face.

 

« I am so sorry. »

 

The woman smiles, she takes Yuqi’s hands in hers as the agent can’t stop moving them around.

 

« It is fine. Don’t worry so much about it. Maybe you could help me find someone? »

 

« Oh… Yes. »

 

« Wonderful. I am searching for a Song Yuqi. »

 

« That's me! »

 

Yuqi almost screams her words. The woman smiles at her with the same energy, her gums showing in the process.

 

« I am Jeon Soyeon, and apparently I have rendezvous with you. »

 

« We-We should go in my office since we-we have rendezvous. »

 

Yuqi wants to bang her head against the front desk for stuttering so many times. Soyeon nods to her words, still smiling.

 

Yuqi suddenly realizes they are still holding hands, and she quickly lets go. She then turns around and starts to walk toward her office. On the way, they pass by Soojin's office and Yuqi watches as Soyeon enters confidently.

 

« Soojin! »

 

« Soyeon. »

 

Soojin stands up, and Yuqi is surprised to see her coworker bow toward Soyeon. It is a scene she sees quite rarely.

 

Soojin only really bows to people higher than her in the hierarchy or people she truly respects. Usually, she keeps it at a slight movement of her head.

 

« You don't have to bow! I am so happy to see you! »

 

« Yeah. »

 

Yuqi notices how Soyeon hesitates to wrap Soojin in her arms, and finally chooses not to.

 

« I thought I would be meeting you. After all, I personally sent the script to your office. »

 

« I know. Thank you for always thinking of me. »

 

« Why are you so polite to me? »

 

« I am normal polite. »

 

« Anyway, it is fine. I think Yuqi right here is more of a cutie than you are. »

 

« Watch your words. »

 

« Don't worry. Not mixing personal and professional. I know the deal. »

 

« Good. »

 

Soojin looks at Yuqi, clearly asking why Soyeon still is in her office. The younger agent puts an end to the conversation, and walks Soyeon to her office; not without saying a quick "thank you" to Soojin.

 

Soojin knows which boundaries she can and which she can't cross. When she gave the script to Yuqi, it meant Yuqi is in charge from A to Z, and she will not interfere unless asked to.

 

« I read the script, and one of my actresses would be a good cast for the part.»

 

« This is why it is you and not Soojin. I have to admit, I always wanted to work with Soojin. »

 

« I- »

 

« Sorry. I am glad we might work together soon. So, when can I meet your actress? »

 

« In a few minutes. I wanted to go over some aspects of the production with you beforehand. »

 

« Oh... I am listening. »

 

Soyeon leans on Yuqi's desk, bringing herself so much closer to the agent. Her mysterious eyes shine from curiosity, and her face hasn't even once lost its smile.

 

Yuqi has to admit, that she is both surprised by the personality of the screenwriter and flustered by her beauty. She feels like a teenager again, even if she knows she is the one who should be leading the conversation, Soyeon destabilizes her.

 

« I have been told the production was ready to start. Since my actress is currently engaged in a drama, I had some concerns about the schedule. »

 

Soyeon looks longly at Yuqi, and at first, the agent thinks she hasn't understood her question. But the woman eventually answers.

 

Yuqi feels her heart beating fast every second Soyeon and her lock eyes. Her look is so deep, and there shines a sparkle of curiosity.

 


 

« Again. Yuqi's office is further. »

 

« I know. But now that you are my second agent, I have the legitimacy to hang out here. »

 

Soojin looks up from her computer, and Shuhua smiles at her from the couch. The actress clearly doesn't need anyone to tell her to get comfortable.

 

« I am only your agent when abroad. We are in Korea. »

 

« What we are going to do is: I won't ask why you want so bad to be my agent abroad, and you will let me hang out here. »

 

Soojin sighs but doesn't reject Shuhua's offer. Instead, she closes her computer and watches Shuhua from behind her desk.

 

« Why are you here, then? Something you want to ask? »

 

« Yuqi is still busy with the producer in her office. She told me she would get me when she is done. »

 

« What are your thoughts on the script? »

 

« My character is quite minor. At least in the three first episodes. They haven't finished writing the other ones. »

 

« It gives you the time needed to finish shooting your drama. »

 

« You know everything about me. »

 

Soojin rolls her eyes. Shuhua has a satisfied smirk on her lips.

 

« I knew you weren't a monster. »

 

« Congratulations, you saw through my disguise. »

 

« There are a lot of rumors about you going around. »

 

« I guess. »

 

« Directors often say you are a . »

 

Soojin chuckles, Shuhua watches as the agent leans back in her seat. She is more carefree than usual, she runs her hand through her hair and it falls beautifully around her face. Shuhua bites her lips.

 

« I haven't worked with any of your talents, yet. But I heard from the other actresses on set, they said they would sign with you within a heartbeat if given the possibility. »

 

« And what do you think of all of this? »

 

« You care about what I think of you? »

 

Soojin raises one eyebrow, challenging Shuhua to tell her more. The actress is too eager to talk with the usual cold and distant agent to not share.

 

« I think they are both right. »

 

« So, you are saying I am a ? »

 

« You are saying it yourself. »

 

Shuhua carefully studies Soojin's reaction, and she sees the subtle smile. Her eyes have a playful flame, and she is clearly relaxed right now. Shuhua lets herself laugh at the implication of her words, and Soojin follows along.

 

« Well. Let me call Yuqi. You spent enough time here. »

 

Soojin reaches for her desk phone, Shuhua can't help but watch every single movement of the other woman.

 

From the way she elegantly puts her hair back, her fingers which slide on the touches of the phone, her attentive eyes focus on the front desk she can see from her office, and her cherry lips she keeps bitting.

 

Shuhua doesn't even hear a single word of the exchange between Soojin and Yuqi. She is too absorbed in the agent in front of her, and when Soojin smiles at her, she blushes.

 

« Yuqi is coming. Apparently, she and Soyeon hit it off pretty well. »

 

« Soyeon? You are familiar with her? »

 

Soojin doesn't respond as Yuqi enters her office to get her actress. Shuhua leaves without any answer, but with a wink from Soojin.

 

It makes her blush even more.

 

 


We have finally met Soyeon! I kept my words. Two chapters.
I really wonder what is the general opinion on Soojin's character, and on the general atmosphere/pace of the story.

Also, in the beginning, I thought eight chapters would be enough. I might have underestimated the length of this story. We will see in the future.