Chapter [6]

Call My Agent

 

« How do I look? »

 

« Good. »

 

Soojin doesn’t even look up from her phone, she is scrolling through a website, and her attention only focuses on the words she is reading.

 

Jung Yiseo, one of Soojin’s talents, is currently trying on outfits for a photo shoot for a magazine. She is still deciding among the different outfits landed to her by different fashion brands. Unfortunately, her agent is not paying attention to her.

 

« What is so interesting on your phone? »

 

Yiseo leans over Soojin’s shoulder to see the screen. The agent is reading through critics of a drama, which isn’t out of place, but the fact that she is more interested in those than in Yiseo is quite out of the ordinary.

 

« What drama is it? »

 

« Driving You Heart. »

 

« The one with Song Kang? »

 

« Hum. »

 

« He has such a bad boy vibe in this drama. I really like it. »

 

Yiseo sits next to Soojin, her chin on her agent’s shoulder as she too looks at the phone. Soojin doesn’t mind the proximity, she knows Yiseo enjoys invading her personal space. Instead, she puts a protective hand on her lap to prevent Yiseo’s skirt from rising.

 

« Shuhua and Sangmin really have good chemistry. I feel butterflies when I watch their scenes. Shuhua is so pretty. »

 

Yiseo reads the comment with aegyo, it makes Soojin chuckle.

 

It isn’t the first comment Soojin reads about Shuhua’s chemistry with her partner, nor the first one about the beauty of the actress.

 

« You know, when I did the audition for Park Jiwan, I saw Shuhua from really close, and she is so pretty. She has even bigger eyes than on screen, and her skin is flawless. She wasn’t wearing any make-up and yet she was so pretty. »

 

Soojin turns toward Yiseo, her eyebrow rising in question. Yiseo pulls away from Soojin, as their face stands way too close for her liking. She still lets her hand rest on Soojin’s shoulder.

 

« I am just saying the comments are right. She is really pretty. And she is really talented too. I think she will do a great job in Park Jiwan’s movie. »

 

« Hum. Don’t you have outfits to try on? »

 

« I do. But you aren’t looking at me! »

 

« Fine. »

 

Soojin puts her phone away and turns her body entirely in direction of Yiseo, who responds with a pleasing smile.

 

« You have all my attention. »

 

« I prefer you like this. So, how is this skirt and blazer? »

 


 

« Where is Yuqi? »

 

« Busy. »

 

Soojin sits down almost dramatically on one of the couches, her bag thrown next to her. Soyeon looks at her, but she knows the agent won’t say more unless directly asked to do so. Soojin didn’t change.

 

« So, this is only you and me? »

 

« Shuhua isn’t here yet? I sent a car to her shoot. Let me call her. »

 

« No need. I think we should use this time to talk. You and me. »

 

Soojin raises her eyebrow, not looking forward to this talk in particular. Soyeon leans closer, her hands on her knees as she looks expectantly at the other woman.

 

The two women go way back, around the time they were both studying cinema at university. They shared a lot of classes and became closer as Soojin was still struggling to adapt to Korea. A lot of things were different from France, not that she was expecting something else. Still, the difference could be felt.

 

Soyeon had been kind enough to look out for her and to help her whenever she saw the woman struggling. Soojin wasn’t keen to ask for help. Still, they built a friendship over time. Soyeon had always loved the creative aspect of cinema, and her knowledge of Korean cinema seemed infinite in Soojin’s eyes.

 

Soojin built a big part of herself through Soyeon. She always admired and respected the vision of her friend. Her first years in Korea were filled with the infinite beauty of arts, and Soyeon. Because there is only one way to Soojin’s heart, Soyeon managed herself in without Soojin noticing.

 

« How have you been doing? »

 

« Good. And you? »

 

« Good? I think this is a euphemism. Everywhere I go, I hear your name. »

 

« I guess, I am doing my job well. »

 

« You are doing wonderful. This is why I wanted to work with you because you became the person you always wanted to be. »

 

« What about you? »

 

« Me? Well me… After you left, I got a contract and filmed some short movies with a company. Then I worked abroad, in France, in the US, in the UK, and even in China. I learned a lot there. I have been back here only for a few months. »

 

« That’s good. »

 

« Ever since I am back, I kept hearing your name. Directors, actors, crew, producers, everyone. What did you do to all of these people? »

 

Soyeon is half teasing half-serious, and her gums keep showing as she speaks. Just like Soojin remembers, the woman is still the same, bright energy that lights up the place.

 

Soojin plays with her sleeves, she wishes for Shuhua to be here already.

 

« Soojin, I don’t blame you for leaving. It was years ago, and I got over it. Really, it is fine now. »

 

« … I am going to call Shuhua. »

 

Soojin stands up and walks away from Soyeon. She doesn’t call Shuhua, she just rests herself outside, curled up in a squat position. The sunlight of spring warms up her face, but she hides most of it in between her knees.

 

Outside of the building, there is a field and a parking lot. It is a bit away from the main center of Seoul, but you can still feel that the city is nearby with the constant traffic. Yet Soojin feels a certain calm when she looks at the field in front of her. She misses the big spaces she used to run in when she was a child.

 

It is her phone ringing in her pocket which wakes up her from her daze.

 

« Yes? … That is fine, don’t worry. … Have you eaten already? … Okay. Yes. »

 

Soojin scrolls through her phone to find someplace to order from. She hesitates to come back inside. In the end, she decides to wait for the delivery and Shuhua outside the building. Only when the actress is there, does she walks inside, with two bags of food in her hands.

 

« Let’s eat before beginning the fitting. »

Shuhua seats next to Soojin, the agent naturally places the food on the table and gives chopsticks to everyone. Soyeon notices how extra careful Soojin is with the actress. Everything she heard about Soojin is true, and somehow it warms her heart to see who the woman became.

 

Shuhua doesn’t speak a lot, and she keeps looking at Soojin when she says something. Soyeon doesn’t try to start a conversation, instead, she enjoys the food, and thanks Soojin for remembering she isn’t a fan of vegetables.

 

« Thank you for the food. Now. We can start. »

 

Soyeon reaches out for her notes and shows Shuhua the different ideas they got for her character’s fashion. This time, she plays a college student. No more high school uniform for her. She is supposed to have a rather atypical sense of fashion. Even if she doesn’t play a big part at the beginning of the drama, her character develops a relationship with one of the male lead later on.

 

They want Shuhua to be noticed from the start without stealing the spotlight of the female lead. Their character should be easy to tell apart. Soyeon took care of the costume design, and today they are trying different ideas to get a better feeling of the final look of the character.

 

Soojin watches as Shuhua listens carefully to Soyeon. The actress nods and looks intensely at the designs. Yuqi explained to her why this drama was important; she needs to stand out with her acting and her looks. Even with the fancy casting, Yuqi assured her she has all her chances, and that she believes in her.

 

« Okay, give me a second, I will get the outfits. I think the assistant put them over there. »

 

Soyeon leaves the two together.

 

« Is everything okay? »

 

« Yes. »

 

Soojin leans to grab one of the outfit designs and look at them from up close.

 

« It will change you from your high school uniforms. I think you look better when you dress your age. »

 

« The casting is really fancy… All the actors are already very well known. »

 

Shuhua had a first reading session just yesterday with the whole cats. In between all of them, she felt small and impressionable; she would have liked it if Yuqi or Soojin would have went with her. This is why she asked one of the two agents to come with her today. Yuqi is busy, but Soojin agreed.

 

« If we want people to watch, we need some big names. »

 

« … Yeah I know. »

 

Soojin watches as Shuhua bites her lips, her eyes refusing to look at the agent. Instead, she focuses on the papers Soyeon left on the table. It is new to see Shuhua not so confident, usually it is a ping pong of smart remarks between them.

 

« I read the comments about Driving Your Heart, everyone kept praising your chemistry with the other actors. I understand it can be intimidating to play with bigger names, but you shouldn’t doubt your capacities. »

 

Shuhua still doesn’t look at Soojin.

 

« I would have loved to continue praising you but I think we are way past the five minutes talk I am allowed with you. »

 

Shuhua gasps and turns toward the agent; she wants to argue back, especially when Soojin breaks into a mischievous smile, but Soyeon is back with a rack full of clothes.

 

« Here. Should we start? »

 


 

« Can I come in? »

 

« Since when are you asking? »

 

Minnie enters, and she sits down in front of Soojin. The agent is busy reading a script, taking notes on the side, putting her colorful post-it on the front page, and then passing to the next one. It is usually in the afternoon that you can find her working in her office. In the morning, she is out, visiting her actresses on set, or joining them for the diverse meetings.

 

Soojin is always a hundred percent into her work. She gives everything to her actresses, protects them, joins them, pushes them, and comforts them.

 

Minnie lets all her agents a lot of freedom to do their job. You can’t think properly if you are kept in a cage.

 

« How is it going these days? We barely see you at the office. »

 

« Busy. »

 

Minnie chuckles, she takes one of the scripts on the pile and flips through the pages. Soojin continues her reading, even if she knows Minnie wants to tell her something.

 

« How is it going with the funding? »

 

« I will be out of town for a while starting next week. Wanna join? »

 

« You need me? »

 

« I don’t need you. I am just not an expert in those things, and it is easier than calling you. »

 

« I will ask Miyeon about it. »

 

« I don’t think Miyeon has a lot of thoughts on us going together. »

 

« This isn’t the problem. We are organizing our wedding. »

 

Soojin nods, she continues to scribble something down and sticks another post-it on the front cover. Minnie puts down the script she was flipping through and leans back in her seat.

 

« You are coming to the wedding, right? »

 

« Yes. I don’t want to die so young. »

 

Minnie laughs, obviously, Miyeon would personally take care of Soojin if the woman didn’t come to her wedding. Minnie has always seen with a good eye the relationship between her fiancée and Soojin. At first, it was difficult to believe the two were close seeing how different were their personality, but the more she saw them interact, the better she understood.

 

Miyeon thinks of Soojin as a sibling she has to take care of, she sees past the strong persona Soojin aborts and cares for her when no one is looking. Soojin respects Miyeon nearly as much as she respects Lee Sanghoon, her mentor. In a professional setting, she will always side with her mentor, but Minnie knows that in her personal life, she would choose Miyeon without blinking.

 

Soojin’s heart is big for the one she cares about. Minnie felt honored the day she realized Soojin considered her such. It had been a long road to gain her trust.

 

« I will send you the information about the trip. »

 

« Thank you. »

 

Soojin looks up and smiles at Minnie, it is quick and she is back in her papers.

 

« I heard for you and Shuhua. »

 

« I didn’t murder her. »

 

« I know. Yuqi said you helped her a lot. »

 

« I only did my job. »

 

« I don’t think you realize, Soojin. No one does this job like you do. »

 


 

« My Jinnie. »

 

Soojin lets Miyeon hugs her strongly. Her head resting on the older woman’s chest while her body limply lay on the couch. Soojin looks at Minnie with a tired look, she is in the living room of the couple, enjoying their company, especially Miyeon’s attention on her.

 

Minnie brings a tray of food to the two, and she smiles fondly when she sees Miyeon handing Soojin the things she prefers. The younger woman is fully enjoying the way Miyeon is currently taking care of her.

 

« If anyone at the office knew how adorable you are when you are with us. »

 

« It is not my fault, you two keep my soft chord me when I come over. »

 

« You deserve it. »

 

Miyeon is firm, and Minnie doesn’t disagree. Soojin munches the food in , as the couple continues to talk on the side. She rarely feels like she is the third wheel with them because Miyeon always gives her enough attention.

 

« Soojin and I will go on a business trip next week. »

 

« Really? You only tell me now? »

 

« I asked Minnie to come with me only yesterday. It isn’t her fault. »

 

« Still. We have our wedding to plan. »

 

« It will only be a few days. »

 

« Five days. »

 

« That is a whole week! »

 

« A week is seven days. »

 

« Soojin. Don’t. »

 

« Love, I promise to continue to take care of our wedding when I am back. I told you I will not let you do everything on your own. I will keep my words. »

 

« Minnie gave you her words… She must really love you. »

 

« Of course, I am planning to marry her! »

 

« What a relief, she actually loves me. »

 

Soojin chuckles. Miyeon lets Soojin rest one of her legs on her lap, with her head already on her chest, half of Soojin is now resting on Miyeon. Minnie holds the only available hand of her fiancée, but she isn’t complaining.

 

« What about you Soojin? I saw Soyeon at the office the other day. »

 

« Soyeon is a screenwriter, a filmmaker, and a producer. She works with MBS for a drama, and Shuhua got a part. »

 

« What about Soyeon? »

 

Minnie looks at her fiancée and Soojin, not understanding why Miyeon was asking about her in particular.

 

« Soyeon and Soojin dated in the past. »

 

« Unnie! »

 

« What? That is the truth. »

 

« You dated Jeon Soyeon? »

 

« Yes, she was Soojin's first relationship! They were adorable together. »

 

« Unnie! Stop! »

 

Soojin is trying to make Miyeon shut up, but the woman seeing how interested is her fiancée can’t stop herself from sharing more. Soojin is no longer lazily resting against Miyeon, she is trying to put her hand on the other woman’s mouth but the latter is holding Soojin’s hands down.

 

« They split ways years ago. Soyeon is freshly back in Korea. They haven’t seen each other in years. I was really surprised to see her in Soojin’s office. »

 

« She was having a meeting with Yuqi! »

 

« I am just realizing I don’t know anything about your love life. I think I have never seen you date anyone. »

 

« Unnie… »

 

« Soojin believes in passionate love stories. She is a hopeless romantic. »

 

« I am leaving. »

 

« Come on, stay here. Love, leave Soojin alone. She will share with us only if she wants to. »

 

Miyeon apologizes with a smile and tries to hug the younger woman again. Soojin lets her do with an unhappy pout on her lips. Minnie reaches out to pat Soojin’s hair, and the woman eventually stops pouting.

 


 

« Aren't you supposed to take a train tomorrow? »

 

« Yuqi. Less thinking, more dancing. »

 

Soojin finishes her glass in one gulp and pulls Yuqi with her.

 

Again, they finish their work day in the club, except Remy isn't here today.

 

Yuqi follows the lead of the older woman, she lets herself be pulled on the dance floor, Soojin making her turn in her arms. The woman knows how to dance for two, the alcohol helps too. Yuqi can feel herself slipping toward the same state of euphoria Soojin is currently in. The two sing along to the songs, and dance against each other, and the heat of the crowd reaches them.

 

« Baby… I like your style! »

 

It is old and new tracks mixing up in their ears, but their bodies react the same; they dance to every beat.

 

Soojin, because this is the best way she has found to relieve all the stress of her work, and Yuqi because it is always exciting to follow Soojin in her adventures.

 

It happens more and more often, Soojin asks Yuqi to go out with her. Sometimes it is at a nightclub, sometimes it is for lunch. And it feels a bit like when Yuqi first started under NYA.

 

At this time, Soojin was always behind her. Strict and yet so carrying with the young agent. Yuqi finds amazing the contrast in the agent's personality, this rudeness with which she climbs up mountains, and this caring side she shows so willingly to the people around her. The two manage to cohabit inside the agent.

 

These days, it is different. Soojin isn’t behind her about her works. Yuqi found her place in the company and imposed herself as a capable and valuable agent. Soojin told her once after a few drinks that she was really proud of her, and that she understood how hard it had been for her to adapt to a new country. Yuqi isn’t sure how exactly Soojin can relate, but the woman seemed sincere.

 

« Let's go home. I can't feel my feet anymore. »

 

Soojin lets Yuqi help her inside the cab, she doesn’t have much of a choice, her body can barely hold her up. Yuqi gives the woman’s address. Soojin is already fast asleep when they reach her house. Yuqi has to help the woman to her apartment; she isn't wasted, just really tired.

 

« Stay. I don't want to be alone. »

 

Yuqi always feels a heavy weight in her heart when she sees the woman asking her to stay so genuinely. She can't say no. She lays on the bed next to Soojin and waits for the woman to be asleep before leaving.

 

They never talk about it in the morning. Yuqi never knows if Soojin even remembers this part of the night.

 


 

« Stop calling me. … I am not your agent, you should ask Yuqi about that. … I will hang up now. … Fine, fine. Tell me. … … That’s great, Shuhua. … I am being very sincere. … Yes. … Hum. … Why should I accept? … Okay. Fine. … No. I am not swearing on anyone’s head. You will have to trust my words. … Sure. I am hanging up now. Bye. »

 

Soojin sighs, but there is the ghost of a smile on her lips. Minnie notices and decides to entertain herself with innocent questions.

 

They are freshly out of a meeting, working in the desert lobby of the hotel they are staying at. Drown under a sea of papers, Minnie just wants to allow herself a short break of fun.

 

« Shuhua and you seem to get along. »

 

« She keeps calling me. I told her ten times already I wasn’t in Seoul at the moment. »

 

« What does she want? »

 

« She wants me to join her for the readings of the drama with Soyeon. I told her to ask Yuqi, but she keeps insisting. »

 

« Why isn’t Yuqi going with her? »

 

« Yuqi is going with her. Just not every time. »

 

Soojin goes back to her papers like nothing happened, and Minnie hides her smile. The CEO only wished for Soojin to consider Shuhua fairly in the casting for Park Jiwan’s movie. Turns out the two get along very well. It is only good news for her, the production and promotion of the movie should go well.

 

« Okay, what do you think of this? I wrote down the missing bit on the other side. »

 

Soojin pushes the notes in Minnie’s direction.

 

The two women are busy considering which funding they should accept. Soojin is very attentive to the conditions, while Minnie figures out ways to expand the potential budget. The two of them are quite the competent and powerful duo.

 

Park Jiwan isn’t part of the trip this time, Soojin told her to focus on the preproduction. The screenwriter updates her every few days by email. On top of it, Soojin takes care of her talents, and still, she finds time to read her daily mountain of scripts.

 

« After Miyeon and I get married. I plan to take a year off. »

 

« That is great. Miyeon will love it. »

 

« Obviously a company can’t run itself. »

 

« Have you tried? »

 

« I thought you and Remy could be the co-CEO of NYA during this time. »

 

« I bet Remy jumped to the ceiling. »

 

« He said he will consider my offer. »

 

« He surely asked you to put that on paper for a contract. »

 

« You know him well. »

 

Soojin sighs, amused by their conversation.

 

The truth is, from managing contracts, and from watching all day long how unfair is the industry they are working in, they all developed different ways to not get screwed. All of the NYA agents, including Minnie, have something close to a contract addiction. Seeing ahead of any problem coming their way with well-thought contracts; their legal department is the busiest and sharpest.

 

« I thought I knew him. But I guess you discover things about people every day. »

 

« Remy doesn’t like to mention his past. You are more or less the same. »

 

« My personal life has nothing to do at the office. »

 

« We see each other out of the office too. »

 

Minnie plays with the cap of her pen.

 

« You never dated anyone else after Soyeon? »

 

« No. »

 

« Why? »

 

« I was busy working. »

 

« You don’t want to date anyone? »

 

« Minnie. It is nice that you seem to care about my love life, but it isn’t the time right now. If you want to talk about it. Invite me to the restaurant I like in Gangnam. »

 

« Ah… The really expensive one. »

 

« Yes. I will tell you then. »

 

Soojin smiles politely and dives back into her papers. Minnie plans to talk more in-depth about the co-CEO position once they are back in Seoul.

 



 

« I prefer tea to be honest. »

 

« That was my coffee. Now that you started to drink from it, keep it. »

 

Soojin continues to go through a document, she signs at the bottom, before putting it in a yellow envelope and dropping it on a pile of other envelopes. Shuhua is sitting in front of her, one stolen cup of iced coffee in her hands.

 

« You know, today is my last day on the set of Driving Your Heart. Wanna come with me? »

 

« I have work to do. »

 

« I have to be on set around 2:00 PM for make-up and all. You can come around 4:00 PM. »

 

« Hum… »

 

« Come on. »

 

« I have a lot of work. »

 

« Everyone will be here with their agent. »

 

« You shouldn’t lie. »

 

« The last day is always fun. »

 

« This is your first real drama here, how can you know about that. »

 

« How do you know that? »

 

Soojin doesn’t respond, she just puts another document in an envelope. She then looks at Shuhua while sealing it. Her eyebrow raises playfully as she smirks.

 

« Well. I think it would be really nice of you to join me. »

 

« Why don’t you ask Yuqi? »

 

« She is busy. »

 

« And so am I, Shuhua. »

 

Soojin calls for Yong, and her assistant shows up in a split second. She warmly greats Shuhua before taking care of the pile of envelopes for Soojin. The agent then grabs her bag and heads out of her office, Shuhua behind her.

 

« How do you have time to be here? You are booked with two dramas and a movie. »

 

« It will be my last time wearing the high school uniform. We can burn it afterward. »

 

Soojin’s eyes light up at the mention of the disliked uniform. Shuhua almost squeals when she realizes she won.

 

« You should have led with that. I will be here in the afternoon. Now. Go away. »

 

They exit the elevator together and split ways in front of the building. Shuhua still watches as Soojin gracefully enters a taxi. The agent tells her with a sign of her hand to go somewhere else.

 

 


Even if all the scenes don't push the story forward, some are personal indulgences, and excuses to explore the relationship between characters. 

I didn't tag Angst on purpose, I don't plan on making Soojin and Shuhua's relationship harder by pushing a third party between them. So, don't worry about Soyeon and Soojin's past relationship.

In this chapter, I realize I need to care more about Yuqi's character. I will.