Chapter [11]

Call My Agent

 

« Maybe the subject could be something else than this Soojin. »

 

Shuhua frowns at the suggestion, it seems very much like an idea she doesn’t like. Her agent is very much a subject which could be discussed for hours.

 

Shuhua doesn’t say anything and follows as the subject changes to something else. While waiting for their turn to try on the outfits for the movie, the actresses and actors have been chit-chatting together. Shuhua prefers a thousand times being with them than with the cast of the MBC drama. Here, everyone is very much friendly and easygoing while also being quite professional when needed.

 

They have even decided to hang out together outside of their rehearsal meetings, and Shuhua joined them. They went to drink a coffee, then they ate together, and somehow they finished at a karaoke. Shuhua loved it, and how easy it was with them.

 

They go through with the fittings. Right after finishing putting her clothes on, Shuhua spots a silhouette she is quite familiar with standing by the entrance of the room and speaking with Park Jiwan.

 

Shuhua has yet to decide if she likes the screenwriter or not, she is quite special, and she seems to have a thing for Soojin. She realized it as every time Soojin would be with her, Jiwan would be all around her, and would spend the whole time involving Soojin more than needed.

 

It is interesting how for once the agent doesn’t show any annoyance. Shuhua would have expected her to put the woman back in her place, but she lets her do with a straight face.

 

« Soojin! »

 

Shuhua isn’t shy to grab the Soojin’s hand. Once she had realized Soojin wouldn’t bite her if she tried to make physical contact with her, Shuhua has been braver. She never hugged the agent the way she did that one night, but she has been finding ways to be physically close to her. And recently, Shuhua has been holding Soojin’s hand.

 

Soojin even squeezes it to say she is glad to see Shuhua too, even if she is just doing her job.

 

« We have to go, but I will be here next time to discuss it. If it is too important to wait, then send me an email. See you, Jiwan. »

 

Soojin nods her head, ignoring how Jiwan tries to touch her shoulder as a goodbye gesture. The agent walks out with Shuhua’s hand still in hers. They climb on a taxi and ride to the filming of Shuhua’s drama.

 

Soojin offers a warm bao for Shuhua to eat on the way.

 

« Those are my favorite! »

 

Soojin nods and goes back to her phone. As usual, the agent is always very busy, and there is no time for a break. Except for when it comes to food, then she is entirely focused on eating. Shuhua tries to share some of her bao with her, but the agent is firm; she has already eaten.

 

« Will you stay with me on the set? »

 

« Not today. I have a meeting. »

 

« Oh… »

 

Shuhua starts to eat her second bao, but she is pouting despite the excellent taste hitting her tongue. Soojin is too busy with her phone to notice, and when Shuhua gets out of the taxi without saying goodbye, Soojin doesn’t notice too busy with her phone.

 

Soojin rides to her meeting, and then back to the office. There is an important reunion with all the agents and Minnie. They are in the middle of a conversation about next year's big projects when suddenly, it hits her. Shuhua is upset.

 

Soojin waits for the meeting to end before rushing out of the office and taking a cab to the filming of the drama. As she walks toward Shuhua’s caravan, she runs into Soyeon.

 

« It is nice to see you here. I have something I wanted to discuss with you. »

 

« Can’t we do that another time? »

 

« Come on, Soojin. You can’t avoid me forever. »

 

« I am not. »

 

« Let’s talk then. »

 

« Right now? »

 

« Yes. Today’s shooting is over. And I have time. »

 

« I have something to do already. Another time, maybe. »

 

Soojin’s eyes shoot up when she sees Shuhua getting out of her caravan, the agent throws a quick goodbye before walking toward the actress. Soyeon watches as Shuhua who has been rather pouty between the takes suddenly lights up as she sees Soojin.

 

Soyeon notices how Soojin lets Shuhua takes her hand in hers. Soojin likes physical contact, that is a fact, but she won’t let just anyone touch her. It says a lot that Shuhua gets to be so close with her. Obviously, as an agent, you get close to your talents. Agents are the one creating the opportunities, they know their talents, and sees them struggle to reach the top without ever giving up on them.

 

Sometimes, it is all business between an agent and their talent. Other times, there is real chemistry, and the bond gets deep between the two. Soyeon knows Soojin fight hard for her talents, she heard it around the industry enough time to not doubt it. Soojin’s name is big and heavy of unsaid.

 

« Bye, Soyeon. »

 

Soyeon waves goodbye at the two. She watches as Soojin helps Shuhua inside the cab, and she smiles bitterly. It is not her fault that memories are coming back to the surface. She was expecting them, but it doesn’t mean they hurt less.

 

Soyeon just wants one thing from Soojin. An explanation. Why did she leave her?

 

They were in love, the most beautiful moment of Soyeon’s life are all Soojin. She loved the woman madly. Soyeon grew up so much at Soojin’s side; there was suddenly so much more to learn, discover, to experience. It seems like everything that Soojin touched was different, more beautiful.

 

Soyeon sighs heavily, she looks at her phone, as a notification from Yuqi just hit. A small smile grazes her lips. Well, Soojin was. Yuqi is.

 


 

« I am home. Are you okay, love? »

 

Miyeon immediately comes to the door to greet her fiancée, she hugs Minnie strongly between her arms. She sighs loudly once she feels Minnie’s arms closing around her body. She hides her face in her neck and breathes in the familiar smell. Minnie.

 

They stay like this for a long moment. Minnie rests her cheek on top of Miyeon’s head as she holds her close to her. Minnie feels her shoulders relaxing as she settles in the comfortable embrace of the person she loves the most in the world.

 

« Missed me this much? »

 

Miyeon nods in Minnie’s neck, and she hugs her even closer.

 

Miyeon has been away on a business trip which has been planned for a while, but with the wedding coming, she has been even more stressed. She came home this afternoon and has been resting ever since, and she couldn’t wait for Minnie to come home. Now it is perfect.

 

« I love you so much. »

 

Miyeon looks up to see her lover, and she leans in for a kiss. Minnie chuckles in the kiss, but she quickly stops as Miyeon deepens the kiss. She bites Minnie’s lips, making her moan, Miyeon takes the opportunity to push her tongue inside , earning another moan from her lover.

 

Minnie doesn’t even think.

 

« Jump. »

 

Miyeon doesn’t need to be told twice, she jumps in Minnie’s arm and wraps her legs and her arms around Minnie’s body. The woman walks them toward their room, she can’t help the warm feeling spreading in her whole body, the Miyeon effect she calls it.

 

« Kitchen, you need to eat. »

 

Miyeon wiggles her legs, and Minnie laughs while taking the direction of their kitchen instead. Miyeon is dropped on the counter, and Minnie laughs when she hears her ordering her around the kitchen.

 

« I don’t want to insult your chef spirit, but I have delicious japchae and some rice in the cooker. »

 

« Japchae? You made some? You ordered some? … I know! Soojin! »

 

Minnie can’t keep her laugh in as an excited Miyeon jumps from the counter, she almost tears out the food from Minnie’s hands, and she doesn’t even bother with chopsticks to taste the food.

 

« So yummy… You asked her? »

 

Minnie brings two bowls of rice and two pairs of chopsticks for them to eat the japchae with. She knows her fiancée adores Soojin’s homemade food, and in general, if you ask the agent nicely, she would cook absolutely any food you wish for. It sometimes takes her a whole week to find the time to get all the ingredients and cook them, but it is always worth it. Soojin is a fantastic cook, but not a lot of people know of it.

 

Minnie believes the particular taste of her cooking comes from the way she mixes Occidental cooking techniques with traditional Korean food. She has never managed to find this taste anywhere else, Soojin’s cooking is just too unique. And delicious.

 

« I told her you might be tired with everything. »

 

Minnie almost melts inside at the smile Miyeon gives her.

 

She remembers the first time she saw the woman. Soojin and she were leaving a restaurant where they have been talking business, one of the many times she had to discuss the woman’s contract. They had just parted ways when she saw the most beautiful woman in the world coming her way.

 

Minnie had frozen on the spot, unable to look away. She saw how the woman had hugged Soojin closely, but the latter had only groaned in response. The two then walked away while linking their arm.

 

Minnie saw the woman a couple of times with Soojin. The day she finally managed to sign Soojin under her company, they celebrated together, Soojin didn’t hold her alcohol consumption and it was the beautiful woman who came to take her home. Minnie also under the influence of alcohol finally managed to talk to her. Miyeon. She finally got her name.

 

After, Minnie found out Miyeon was looking for a job… she created one, especially for her. Minnie was lovestruck, and it was surely the riskiest business decision of her life; but in the end, it all worked out, and Miyeon's position evolved until a whole department of NYA ended up under her direction.

 

Minnie waited many years before growing the courage to ask Miyeon out. One thing she can’t deny, Soojin helped a lot. The woman was becoming crazy hearing Miyeon rambles about their boss and having Minnie failing to be discreet about her attraction toward the publicist. Without the two realizing, she helped them push their pieces onto the board until they would understand the other intentions, and eventually, the two ended up together.

 

Minnie believes hiring Soojin into her company changed her whole life forever. And surely this is why the agent gets so many free passes, why Minnie passes every single of her anger burst, and why she is so willing to get the blame for her.

 

« You are the best! I love you! I will thank Jinnie later. »

 


 

« Your shirt. »

 

Soojin walks in front of Yuqi and pulls on the collar before smothering the material between her fingers. She then gently pats her shoulders, making sure her clothes are alright. Minnie standing behind Soojin observes the scene with an amused smile.

 

The three women have been invited to a conference concerning women in positions of power in different industries. Minnie who has managed to make a big name for herself as a CEO over the years has even been invited to talk on the main stage. She brought Soojin and Yuqi with her as important representatives of her company.

 

It is an all-female conference, which is growing more popular each year. Minnie has already attended a few years ago, but only as a guest. She feels honored to be one of the speakers this year. Yuqi and Soojin on the other hand have never participated in such an event.

 

Soojin is very used to the practices in the cinema industry, and she feels comfortable among her peers, but this time women from all kinds of industries are present and she must admit it is quite impressive. Yuqi is in an even worst state. It took her time to affirm her place and status in the industry, and somehow she still feels like she isn’t deserving enough to be here.

 

« I am the only one talking. You two should relax. »

 

Minnie notices how nervous Yuqi is, and she doesn’t miss the way Soojin keeps biting her cherry lips. Minnie puts a comforting hand on their shoulder and squeezes lightly. Her eyes are tranquil, facing the situation with a confident heart and a calm smile.

 

« Everything will be okay. You just have to wait for me backstage. I won’t make you come up on stage, don’t worry. »

 

Minnie lets go of them, but not before finding Soojin’s hand and squeezing it gently. One last look to her two agents and she climbs up the stairs to the stage.

 

« There are so many people. I don’t know how she is so calm. »

 

Soojin wraps her arm around Yuqi’s shoulders before walking with her toward the screen diffusing live what is happening on stage. Soojin is very impressed by Minnie. The woman has always been admirable in Soojin’s eyes; from building her own company at twenty-four, to facing off every challenge without ever flattering.

 

Soojin knew she did the right choice signing with her when Minnie confronted her without any hesitation. Minnie always had well-thought arguments to any of Soojin’s complaints, she wasn’t afraid to make herself understood even if it meant screaming back and Soojin liked it. But the thing that decided Soojin was how much freedom Minnie was willing to give her. If something wasn’t working, instead of shutting up the whole operation, Minnie always pushed her to think outside the box.

 

« Minnie knows what she is doing. And she has always wished to speak at this conference, so I assume she is rather happy than anxious about it. »

 

Yuqi nods, as she watches how elegantly and firmly Minnie expresses herself. Here, she looks different from when she is at the office. She wears more makeup, and her eyes hold a certain flame that isn’t usually here, even her smiles are not the same.

 

Yuqi turns to look at Soojin, the agent is very focused on Minnie. Yuqi grins discreetly when she sees the familiar look of respect on the other woman's face. Soojin might be a free electron, but she has principles, this Yuqi took some time to understand.

 

And now that Soojin and her at closer, she feels it too.

 


 

« Oh! Yuqi! Soojin! »

 

Soojin turns around at the familiar voice, and she immediately bows to Soyeon. Yuqi notices how it is less low than usual, and she believes it is some kind of progress between the two. The usual awkward tension between the two women is unfortunately quick to come back and Yuqi wonders if they will ever manage to work it out.

 

« I didn’t know you guys were here. »

 

« Our boss spoke earlier, and she wanted us to join her for the day. »

 

« Kim Minnie, right? »

 

Yuqi nods, and she smiles brightly when her eyes and Soyeon meet. She would love to talk more with the producer, but with Soojin holding her by the waist, and the tension present she prefers to stay where she is.

 

Soyeon’s gaze goes from Yuqi to Soojin. The agent isn’t trying to look away, but her gaze doesn’t express much and stays cold. The discussion between the three of them soon turns to an awkward silence.

 

« Hello? I am Kim Minnie, and you must be Jeon Soyeon? »

 

Soyeon looks up to meet Minnie. This is the first time she sees her, and for a second she is caught a little off guard; Minnie has this effect on people sometimes. Soojin notices and lets out a smile.

 

« Indeed. I saw you talk, and I must say your words were really inspiring. Your vision explains a lot about your agents. »

 

« Oh really? »

 

« I have the pleasure to work with both Soojin and Yuqi, and I have been really pleased. »

 

Soyeon goes more in-depth, she takes the time to explain how Minnie’s vision and leadership impact her agents in their work and by doing so impact the actresses under their management. Even if she only has worked with Shuhua for now, Soyeon quickly saw how hard-working the woman is.

 

Soyeon knows how difficult it can be at times to be an actress, especially on the part of the job where everything isn’t glamour and glitters. While some actresses more experienced still struggle, Shuhua showed great confidence in herself, and determination despite the obstacles. Most of it comes from the woman herself, but there is a part that comes from the unconditional support of her agents.

 

« I am glad to hear my agents are doing an excellent job. I have heard about you too. You have quite the skills and the experience. »

 

Minnie politely praises Soyeon, Soojin who knows exactly how she works understands Minnie is figuring out Soyeon as a person. Being good at your job is one thing, being a good person is another thing; and Minnie puts a lot of importance on this detail when she meets people. For now, Soyeon is still in trials.

 

« Well, it was a pleasure meeting you. If you excuse us, I have some people to introduce my agents to. »

 

Minnie gracefully puts an end to the conversation, Yuqi nods in Soyeon’s direction before following Minnie and Soojin. After all, there are here for business, and she will have the occasion to meet with Soyeon another time.

 

Minnie introduces them to various people in different fields. Soojin doesn’t talk much but observes a lot. Yuqi who has finally relaxed is more open to engaging in conversations. They meet many different women, and it is always very interesting to discuss with them.

 

Yuqi notices every time they explain their job and how they work with well-known celebrities, the people they are talking with become a bit more excited and try to get more details out of them. But the three women know how important it is to protect their talent from this kind of situation and they all respond with the same polite and vague answer.

 


 

« Soojin? »

 

« Hum. »

 

« We should talk. This can’t keep going on like that. »

 

Soojin drinks from her glass of champagne, she isn’t sure if it is her third or fourth glass, but it tastes good. Minnie told her to be careful with the alcohol, but she hasn’t seen the woman in a while, and she is planning to leave the event soon, anyway.

 

« What is there to talk about? »

 

« Us. »

 

« There is no us. You and I parted way a long time ago. »

 

« You know this isn’t really what happened. You left. And… All I want to know is why. Why did you leave me? »

 

« I am not doing my laundry in public. »

 

Soyeon groans, she snatches a cup of champagne from a trail and drinks it up in one gulp. It isn’t good. The situation isn’t good, and Soyeon’s heart isn’t good. Soojin refuses to give her the closure she has been needing for years, and she doesn’t know how to convince the woman.

 

« Then, can we meet at another time? »

 

« I have nothing to say. »

 

Soojin bites her lips, and for a second Soyeon thinks she got the woman to open up. Except her gaze becomes cold again, and she puts down her glass on one of the tables with a bit too much strength.

 

« I need to find Yuqi. We are going now. »

 

« Soojin. Seo Soojin. »

 

Soyeon grabs Soojin’s wrist as she tries to walk past her. The contact of their skin makes her heart beat faster. It also stops Soojin right in her tracks. They look at each other right in the eyes for a long moment, before Soyeon decides to walk them to somewhere more private. They go outside of the room the conference was held in and finds themselves in some kind of garden with a fountain.

 

Soyeon keeps Soojin’s wrist in her hold, she even gently rubs the soft skin with her thumb. Now that they are face to face, away from the crowd of the conference, it feels different. Soyeon knows Soojin drank more than she should, and that her touch is provoking a strong reaction in Soojin right now, but she is willing to use it to get the answer she needs.

 

« It was really hard for me. I loved you so much, Soojin. I loved you with everything I had. »

 

Soojin sighs, Soyeon feels the change in the woman, a lot of memories are coming back to the surface, and she fights hard to keep her composure. It would be so easy to wrap her arms around Soojin and to let herself rest against the woman she has loved with her whole heart.

 

« … I am sorry. »

 

Soojin maintains eye contact, and Soyeon sees the tears gathering in her eyes. Everything is mixing up in Soyeon’s heart, but she doesn’t want to break down before getting her answer. Her hand rises along Soojin’s forearm, giving the woman goosebumps. It pains her, but right now, she knows she is so close to getting what she wants; if she has to use every single one of Soojin’s weaknesses against her she will.

 

« It was hard for me too… I… I had to. He… He told me to. He said I had to do it to build my career. He… He said you would have distracted me, and… I… I am sorry, I am so sorry, Soyeon-ah. »

 

Soojin breaks into tears, quietly, she holds her head low and lets the tears fall down her cheeks. She feels too terrible to face Soyeon right now; she hid the secret for years, feeding herself the lie that she was right to do so, despite the terrible pain she felt for months. It was easier to drown everything in her work and never think about it.

 

Except Soyeon came back into her life, and the pain did too. The guilt has been slowly eating her up; Miyeon had noticed it, and even if she knew it could have helped to share it with her friend, she felt too guilty and preferred to keep it to herself.

 

Soyeon wraps her arms around Soojin and brings her close to her. This is what she needed to know, obviously there is still more to discuss before they can close the book of their story, but this is a good beginning toward the end.

 

Soyeon squeezes Soojin closer to her, the other woman has wrapped her arms around Soyeon’s shoulders, and her face is hiding in her neck, tears wetting Soyeon’s clothes, but it isn’t very important right now.

 

Soojin takes a long moment to calm down, the weight of years of guilt and lies is hard to shake off. They stay in each other arms, unaware that someone has been searching for them.

 


 

« Hey hey hey hey! Soojin doesn’t want to be disturbed right now. »

 

« But she is my agent. »

 

« Only when abroad if you refer to your contract. Also, she said to let no one in. »

 

Shuhua groans, she follows Yong onto the open kitchen of the floor and lets the woman pours her a cup of tea.

 

Yong, Soojin’s loyal assistant, likes Shuhua. The actress always greets her nicely, she sometimes brings chocolate with her and shares them with Yong. Plus, Yong finds her adorable. The assistant sits down with Shuhua and engages in a conversation about the actress's latest whereabouts.

 

Shuhua is happy to chat while waiting for Soojin to be done; despite the interesting conversation with Yong, she keeps checking the door of the agent’s office. She sees a woman entering without even knocking, and she immediately rises from her chair, spilling some of her tea on the table.

 

« Someone got in! I thought- »

 

« It is Miyeon. »

 

There isn’t more explanation given to her like the name is a valid answer. Shuhua remembers she had heard it before, it takes her a moment to remember it was on NYA Spring Day. The woman works under NYA as well, and she is the fiancée of the CEO, and also one of Soojin’s friends.

 

Shuhua sits back down, a pout of frustration now presents on her lips. She is well aware she could have just texted or called the agent for what she is about to ask, but she believes that if she has the time to see her in person, she should just do so.

 

Slowly, but surely the agent is taking a lot of space in Shuhua’s thoughts. There isn’t much that she can do about it, and she honestly hasn’t realized yet what is happening.

 

« Shuhua? What are you doing here? »

 

Yuqi enters the kitchen, surprised to see her actress here.

 

« I have rendezvous with Soojin. »

 

« You don’t. »

 

Yong shakes her head, she knows Soojin’s schedule, and Shuhua isn’t written on it. Yuqi raises an eyebrow, suddenly interested in what is happening. Shuhua feels her cheeks becoming warm, and she takes a big breath of air before answering.

 

« I need to see Soojin. »

 

« I don’t think it is the right time. Soojin is in a bad mood, she got a call this morning, and ever since she has been acting like a fury. If it is important you can tell me and I will tell her when she is in a better mood. »

 

Shuhua glances toward Soojin’s office, the door is still closed, and nothing can be heard from outside. The actress glances back at Yuqi who only looks at her with a sympathetic smile. She thanks her agent and decides to leave since she can’t talk with Soojin.

 

As she walks in front of the office, she sees Soojin sitting behind her desk, reading through a pile of papers. Since she has been angrily pushing her hair away from her face all day long, she looks less put together than usual but Shuhua believes it makes her even more attractive like this.

 

On the other side of Soojin’s desk, Miyeon is trying to calm her down, Shuhua sees her trying to put her hand on Soojin’s arm but the agent pushes it away, annoyed.

 


 

« What is it? Why are you looking at me like that? »

 

Soyeon chuckles the embarrassment away. Yuqi’s stare is making her self-conscious, but since they haven’t eaten anything yet, and she checked herself ten times before going out, she is sure there is nothing on her face.

 

Yet the insistent stare of the other woman.

 

« You look different. I was wondering why. »

 

« Different? How so? »

 

Yuqi shrugged, she can’t explain it.

 

« Hum… Well, I hope it is a good different. »

 

« It is. »

 

Soyeon grins, and her eyes focus back on the view in front of them. It is the end of the afternoon, and they met at a park near Yuqi’s place to share the last hours of the day. Soyeon likes those moments half between day and night, she likes being outside too and appreciating the nature around her. She isn’t a big fan of working out, but she would gladly go on a walk if there is the promise of something beautiful to see.

 

Right now, there isn’t much happening between them; while on the first date Soyeon went all out to make her intentions clear toward Yuqi, she has ever since been quite hesitant. She takes Yuqi’s hand in hers every time she can, and she always finished their date with a gentle kiss on Yuqi’s cheek but she hasn’t tried anything else with the woman.

 

Yuqi is a bit lost because she can see something is happening between them, yet Soyeon refuses to take the next step. Like something is preventing her from pursuing something more serious with her.

 

« I really like you, Yuqi. »

 

Yuqi turns to look at Soyeon, the latter is already looking back at her, her gaze holding the usual sparkle that Yuqi likes. Soyeon takes Yuqi’s hand in hers and intertwines their fingers.

 

« Hum… I do believe you like me too. »

 

Yuqi tries to stay serious feeling there is something else to come, but the playful tone of Soyeon makes her laugh.

 

« I do like you. »

 

« Then… I should be sincere with you. »

 

Soyeon rubs the back of Yuqi’s hand, and her thumb traces a pattern on the skin.

 

« When I love someone, I give it my whole. Everything that I have, I give them. Unfortunately, the last person I loved put an end to our relationship, and it really hurt me. I thought… I was past it, but turns out, I am not. »

 

« Your last relationship being Soojin, I presume. »

 

Soyeon sighs, she nods, eyes looking into the void because her mind is too busy laying down the truth for Yuqi to understand.

 

« As I said earlier, I really like you. But for now, I can’t offer you more. It would be wrong of me to do so as long as I haven’t finished figuring everything out… with Soojin. »

 

The last words are whispered like Soyeon is scared to say her name out loud. Yuqi squeezes their hands, and she gives Soyeon an understanding smile.

 

« That’s… I like your honesty. Thank you. I was starting to wonder if there was something I wasn’t doing right. »

 

« No! Everything is perfect! »

 

« Perfect? »

 

Soyeon rolls her eyes, but there is a large smile on her lips.

 

 


 

I think as the story goes we see more of the main characters since each has its own story. It is a bit hard at times to include everyone. Since I used to write only for Mamamoo, it is only four members. Six is a huge difference, but I am doing my best for each of them. But keep in mind Soojin is the MAIN character, and every single scene must mention her or it feels wrong.

The chapters aren't becoming harder to write, but I want to enjoy my time with all the characters; this is why I am not rushing it. It is funny because so much stuff happens in the first chapter, but now, it is all slow like a snail.

I spend a lot of time deliberating on scenes and have a document of all the deleted ones. I think I will post them once the story is over.

In other news, I found a job for the summer. I don't know how much I will be able to write, but I plan to update as much as I can! :)