Chapter [4]

Call My Agent

 

« Shuhua, it is your turn. »

 

Shuhua politely follows Yong inside the room. Here, Soojin is sitting in the middle, Park Jiwan and Yuqi on each side. Their eyes find each other, Soojin’s are so deep, lighten up by her passionate fire. The agent turns some paper and scribbles down a few words here and there before leaning in Park Jiwan’s direction as the woman tells her something.

 

Shuhua’s eyes follow as Soojin points something out among Park Jiwan’s papers. She doesn’t miss the way the older woman’s eyes keep looking at Soojin’s face.

 

« Hello, Shuhua. Glad to meet you again. »

 

Soojin’s presence is hard to ignore, even when Park Jiwan is talking to her, her eyes drift back to Soojin.

 

« You left a strong impression on me last time. »

 

« Even left the trace of her palm on my cheek. »

 

« Soojin. »

 

It is Yong, standing behind Soojin, she tries to keep the atmosphere as enjoyable as possible with Soojin and Shuhua in the same room. But Soojin only mumbled her comment under her breath, and the actress did not hear it.

 

« I hope you are going to show me the same fire you did last time. »

 

Park Jiwan stands up, she comes forward toward Shuhua and starts to talk with her. She advises the actress for a good minute before coming back to her seat and adjusting the camera.

 

« Go, whenever you are ready. »

 

Soojin leans against her seat, and she notices how Yuqi is bouncing her leg up and down under the table. Gently, she puts a hand on Yuqi’s thigh. It calms the agent down, and Soojin squeezes the leg before letting go.

 

Soojin focuses on Shuhua in front of her, their eyes meet again, there is a certain curiosity in Soojin’s, which clashes with Shuhua’s ardent ones.

.

There is a part of Soojin which screams as goosebumps are rising along her back, and her eyes become teary, and another part that is fighting absolutely everything she is feeling. Her eyes go back to her papers, and she looks at Shuhua’s professional profile.

 

« Thank you, Shuhua. »

 

Soojin spends long minutes looking at the profile, her eyes register every single detail of her shot, her white pearly skin, her big eyes, the mole on her right cheek, her lips, and her long black hair. She barely notices Jung Yiseo’s auditioning in front of her.

 

« Soojin? »

 

« Hum… »

 

« I don’t think there is a need for us to think about it for too long. »

 

Soojin looks at Park Jiwan, the woman aborts a pleased smile on her face as she looks at the two agents. Yuqi next to Soojin nods to Jiwan’s words.

 

« There is no one but Yeh Shuhua for this role. I want her. »

 

« Hum… »

 


 

« Shuhua has been cast. I let you deal with the contract. »

 

« Soojin, come back here. »

 

« What is it this time? »

 

« Close the door and sit down. »

 

Soojin does as Minnie tells her. The agent looks at her CEO with angry eyes, a flame of rage burning in her deep pupils. Minnie is not impressed by her behavior. It is rather a concern she has for her friend.

 

« You have to help me understand why is it such a big deal for you. »

 

« … There is nothing to explain. »

 

« Soojin. There must be a reason for your behavior. Why is it so wrong that Shuhua has been cast? »

 

« There is nothing I can do. It will be Shuhua. It is fine. »

 

« Soojin. This movie will go to Cannes. Shuhua can do it. You can do it. You have to believe in the cinema. »

 

« Why did you come to Korea? »

 

« What? »

 

Soojin looks at Minnie, waiting for her answer. She knows the woman heard her the first time already. It just takes her a few seconds to digest the sudden question.

 

« The freedom. I came to Korea for the freedom. I thought there would be more chances for me. »

 

« Do you regret it? »

 

« I don’t. Never. »

 

« Are you happy? »

 

« Soojin… »

 

« Tell me. »

 

« I am. I am the happiest I have ever been. »

 

« That is all I needed to know. »

 

Soojin stands up, she looks at Minnie longly, her deep dark pupils have changed. From anger to passion.

 

« I will take care of Shuhua’s contract. Don’t worry about it. »

 

Soojin stays another moment at the entrance of Minnie’s office, hesitating about her next words.

 

« I am glad you are happy, unnie. »

 


 

« Hello? This is my caravan. »

 

« Yeah, I know. That is why I am here. »

 

Soojin continues typing her text message, and as Shuhua leans in to take it away from her, Soojin hides it behind her back. Shuhua stumbles forward, almost crashing on Soojin, but the agent catches her right on time. She pushes her back to her feet, a proud smile on her lips.

 

« Ah ah, not this time. »

 

« Why are you here this time? »

 

« Congratulation, you got the part. »

 

Shuhua blinks for a few seconds, this is the first time Soojin smiles at her. The agent looks pretty when she smiles with her cheekbone rising to her eyes, and her cherry lips stretching to the sides.

 

« Thank you. … Yuqi already told me a few days ago. »

 

Soojin leans on the sofa she is sitting on, her eyes detailing Shuhua. The actress has her high school uniform, the skirt barely reaching the middle of her thighs, her tie is resting on her chest, and her shirt is not fully buttoned up. Soojin really doesn’t like it.

 

« Always in your high school uniform, hum? »

 

« Again, I am wearing my costume. Why are you really here, Soojin? I thought you had important things to do. »

 

« I do. »

 

Shuhua watches as Soojin raises to her feet, she takes steps in her direction, both her hands in her pockets. The agent looks around, eventually, she chooses to look at Shuhua in the eyes. The usual battle of the two.

 

« Why are you here? »

 

« I have to write your contract. I wanted to know if there is anything specific I might need to know? »

 

« Why didn’t you just ask Yuqi? »

 

« This is not how I work. »

 

« How do you work then? »

 

« Shuhua, I- Oh. Soojin? »

 

Soojin looks past Shuhua to find Yuqi at the entrance of the caravan. She is holding two cups of a red beverage.

 

Shuhua turns around immediately at the sound of the familiar voice, she doesn’t realize she jumps away from Soojin in the process. Yuqi does notice.

 

« What are you doing here, Soojin? »

 

This is a genuine question, almost innocent. Yuqi walks further inside, putting the cups on the counter, right next to where Shuhua is standing.

 

« Shuhua and I were talking about her contract for the movie. We were setting a lunch so we could talk about it comfortably. On Monday, right? »

 

« Y-Yes. Monday… »

 

« Well, I will see myself out. »

 

Soojin leaves behind her a confused actress and a suspicious agent.

 


 

« Here you go. It wasn’t easy to find, but I put everything on the USB. Subtitles, like you, asked too. »

 

« Thank you, Sam. »

 

Soojin leaves the store. For once she walks to her office rather than taking a taxi. It feels different to see the city during the day. Usually, she is stuck in the traffic during the day, and when she walks at night it is only along the Han river.

 

Soojin finishes her journey in front of NYA’s building with an iced coffee in each hand. She takes the elevator up to her floor and walks to Yuqi’s office. There, the agent is already deep into her papers. Her office is a real mess in Soojin’s eyes but she doesn’t comment on it. Not today.

 

« Here. For you. »

 

Yuqi looks up, she looks at the iced coffee and then at Soojin.

 

« I don’t like iced coffee. »

 

« More for me then. »

 

Soojin takes the cup back and sits down in front of Yuqi with a smile. Which is very much unlike Soojin and which creeps out Yuqi. The younger woman checks her opened door, ready to call for help. Unlike Minnie or Miyeon, she doesn’t feel confident handling a fight with Soojin, alone.

 

« I wanted to apologize. »

 

« Are you okay? »

 

« I want us to be on good terms. »

 

« We aren’t already? »

 

« I wanted to be sure. »

 

Yuqi nods slowly. Soojin is very weird right now. Despite her years of experience working with Soojin, Yuqi has to admit, that the woman will always stay an enigma to her. She never managed to get close to her, Soojin always keep a wall between them. Outside of work, Yuqi has no idea of what Soojin’s personal life looks like. Or if she even has one, to begin with.

 

« What are you doing tonight? »

 

« Nothing special. »

 

« Hum… Why don’t you come with Remy and me? We are hanging out in a bar in Mapo. »

 

« Sure. »

 

« Good. We will pick you up. »

 

Soojin stands up, winks at Yuqi, and walks out of Yuqi’s office with her two iced coffee in hand. Her heels clap happily on the floor of the office, she has a satisfied smile on her lips and doesn’t even say anything when she sees Yong engrossed in a conversation with the mail guy instead of doing her work.

 

« Oh no. »

 

« Remy. »

 

« Oh no, Soojin. What do you have in mind? »

 

« Nothing, I am enjoying my two iced coffee and the sunny day. »

 

Soojin sits in her chair, she puts her purse down on her desk and spins in her chair. Remy stops her, he knows the woman has something in mind, but he isn’t a mind reader. Soojin pushes his hand away and drinks her coffee.

 

« I told Yuqi to join us tonight. »

 

« That is… unlike you. You don’t hang out with your coworkers. »

 

« Wrong. I hang out with Minnie, Miyeon and you quite often. »

 

« That’s different. »

 

« How so? »

 

Soojin has her small mischievous smile on. Remy isn’t really worried, Soojin wouldn’t do anything against the company.

 

« Miyeon is your closest friend, even if you want everyone to believe you aren’t close with her. Minnie is her fiancée and you have always liked the idea of them being together, you even pushed them to confess to each other. And I am your most handsome friend. »

 

Soojin laughs behind her cup of coffee, her eyes shining with amusement and fondness for her people. Remy isn’t wrong, but she will never say it out loud, it isn’t her style.

 


 

« Come dance with me! »

 

Soojin pulls Yuqi closer to her on the dance floor, almost crashing their body together from the strength of the pull. Soojin makes her steady on her two feet before making her turn around in her arms, she swings to the music, and Remy joins them.

 

Yuqi was worried to be a bit out of place between Remy and Soojin since the two friends are close, but they made her the center of their conversation. It was surprising to see Soojin out of the workplace, so carefree, alive in a different way.

 

Soojin shines, she lights up the place with warm light, nothing like her cold professional personality. It makes sense to Yuqi why Soojin’s talents adore her so much, she talked to some of them on different occasions and they all speak of their agent with an affective tone.

 

« Stop thinking so much, enjoy the night! »

 

Soojin pushes Yuqi into Remy’s arms, and Yuqi dances with the man. Remy and her go way back in Taiwan, they always kept their relationship professional, even after Yuqi took her position at NYA. Remy was already close with Soojin, and Yuqi never tried to get closer, even if their personalities are compatible.

 

Remy makes her turn, he dances pretty well too, and his long dimple makes him even more charming. His hands are so polite, but Yuqi encourages him to be comfortable with her. The music changes, getting slower, Remy jokes it is his time to try his luck.

 

« Look at Soojin, she found company, I think. »

 

Yuqi looks around until she notices the woman with her arms around the neck of a man taller than her. She has her forehead against his chest, and him his arms around her waist. They are both swinging to the rhythm of the music, Soojin raises her head, and under Yuqi’s surprise stare, locks lips with the man.

 

« Will she be okay? »

 

« Don’t worry, she won’t leave before telling me. »

 

Remy makes Yuqi dance, but the woman keeps glancing at Soojin.

 

« Do you have a boyfriend, Yuqi? »

 

« No. I-I am not interested in men. »

 

« You are right, women are so much better. »

 

Remy’s tone makes Yuqi laugh, he smiles with his dimple, and the music changes again. Yuqi asks for them to get a drink, and Remy pushes a way through the crowd for them.

 

« Do you have a girlfriend? »

 

« Nope. I can’t seem to keep one. My job is a big problem, but I suspect Soojin’s constant appearance at my place to be another of the reasons. »

 

« I didn’t know Soojin and you were this close. »

 

« I think Soojin can’t live alone. She must have used her bed something like… I don’t know, but it is less time than mine! »

 

Remy orders a shot for Yuqi and him, they clink their glass together and bottom up. Soojin joins them just after, she has her lipstick a bit smudge; Remy makes a sign for Yuqi to keep quiet about it.

 

Soojin orders more shots for them, and the night goes on until Yuqi has to admit defeat to the duo.

 


 

« I thought it was a business lunch. »

 

« The food is coming. »

 

Soojin puts down her phone and finally looks at Shuhua in front of her. Some of her long hair is falling before her eyes, her oversized jacket makes her look tinier than she is and Soojin finds her quite adorable. Not that this information will ever be voiced out.

 

It is a restaurant near NYA Soojin chose for their lunch, nothing fancy, but the food is really good and that is what is important. They sit in front of each other, Soojin looking sharp with her well-cut blazer and pants.

 

« Usually, your agent takes care of the contract, but this movie is a bit different from your usual dramas. »

 

« How so? »

 

« Are you familiar with Cannes? »

 

« The festival in France? »

 

Soojin lets out a quiet smile under her serious mask.

 

« Precisely. This movie has a lot of potentials. »

 

« Is this why you were so against me getting the part? »

 

« I wasn’t- »

 

« I am not stupid. Yuqi didn’t say much about you, but it is clear you have something against me. If it is about the times I took your phone, I won’t apologize. I think it is rude to talk to someone without looking at them. »

 

« I am not asking for an apology. »

 

« Good, you wouldn’t get one anyway. »

 

Soojin breathes in and out. Fortunately, their food comes, and for a moment they focus on eating.

 

Shuhua irritates her.

 

Yet, the caring part of Soojin can’t help but ask if the food is good enough for the actress.

 

« I read your past contracts for your dramas. »

 

« Isn’t that forbidden? »

 

« … As I was saying, I read them and I noticed you always have some special clauses. Like, as having the questions before an interview. Why? »

 

« I don’t have to answer you. »

 

« You aren’t making my job easier. »

 

« I don’t care. »

 

« Fine. »

 

Soojin believes she has time to lead this battle later on, but it makes her curious.

 

« You also have another clause where we can’t make you eat strawberries under any circumstance. »

 

« I don’t like them. »

 

« I just think it is a bit extreme. »

 

« Your opinion doesn’t matter. »

 

Soojin breathes in and out again. She should have brought Yuqi with her.

 

While she easily lets her frustration or her anger get the best of her in a lot of situations, she is always careful with her talents. She has seen directors on set not taking care of their actors, overworking them, and more often than not, actors are not considered human beings but rather public property. It is a rule in Soojin’s book to always make an effort to understand them, and to always make them feel respected and human.

 

This is why right now, she is trying very hard with Shuhua.

 

« What about the clause saying your agent must always be with you when you go abroad? »

 

« I thought we were here to make a contract. Why are you questioning my conditions? »

 

« I am just trying to understand. I mean- »

 

« Don’t you have special clauses in your contract? »

 

Soojin bites her bottom lip. Shuhua keeps eating, she doesn’t need an answer to the question it seems.

 

« Well. Is there anything else you would like to add to your contract, except the usual clauses? »

 

« That you can only talk to me 10 minutes a day. »

 

« you. »

 

« Make it 5 minutes. »

 


 

« Where is Soojin? »

 

« Why? »

 

« There is a problem with Shuhua’s contract. »

 

« Again? It seems recurrent. »

 

Yuqi turns around to find Minnie behind her, the CEO takes the contract from Yuqi’s hands and starts to read it while walking back to her office. Yuqi follows her behind, trying to explain it isn’t anything big, but Minnie continues her reading.

 

« What is this tiny thing that worries you? This contract seems perfect to me. Soojin is really good at this. »

 

« It is on the last page. Soojin is noted as Shuhua’s agent. »

 

« Both of your names are on it. You are noted as her main agent, I told you Soojin knows what she does. »

 

« I am Shuhua’s agent. »

 

« Yes. That is what the contract says. »

 

« It doesn’t make sense to me why Soojin is also appointed as her agent. She is only in charge of the movie, not the actors. »

 

Minnie purses her lips together for a moment, she reads the last pages of the contract quickly. She is very used to the way Soojin uses the legal team’s skills to make every contract to her advantage. If you are trained like Minnie to read financial reports, business papers, and law contracts, you easily understand what the agent is trying to accomplish.

 

« Let’s take a seat, you and I. »

 

Minnie closes the door of her office and comes back to seat down in front of Yuqi. She keeps the contract next to her as she claps her hands together before beginning.

 

« Do you know why I hired Soojin? »

 

« Well, her mentor is Lee Sanghoon. »

 

« She isn’t the only one with Lee Sanghoon as her mentor, yet you don’t see them all working for me. »

 

Yuqi nods slowly.

 

« I hired her because she loves the cinema. Obviously, everyone here loves the cinema. But Soojin lives for it. There is nothing, no one, who will stop her. Not even me. »

 

« I see. »

 

Yuqi is perfectly aware of this trait in Soojin’s personality. Everyone is perfectly aware of this in the industry, and this is one of the big reasons Soojin has the reputation she has.

 

« Her love for the cinema translates into a dream which is very important for her. You can think of Park Jiwan’s movie as the path to making her dream come true. Nothing will stop her. »

 

« It doesn’t explain her position as Shuhua’s agent. »

 

Minnie reads the contract again, she can’t help but admire how Soojin did her thing really well.

 

« Soojin just needs to make sure everything will work well. This contract doesn’t lessen your role nor your pay. »

 

« I also worry about Soojin’s relationship with Shuhua. »

 

Minnie worries too, but she believes Soojin will understand the messages she tried to send her way. The agent is too intelligent and too passionate to act recklessly when she is so close to her dream.

 

« I understand. But Soojin is a really good agent. She is just nervous because of how important it is for her. I will talk with her about it. »

 

Minnie smiles. She hands back the contract to Yuqi, but she lets her hand on it for a moment, like she is hesitating to add something. Through her bangs, her eyes shine a certain tranquility.

 

Yuqi always felt like Minnie knew more than she says, she is wiser beyond her age, and maybe this is why she lets Soojin act the way she does.

 

« Don’t forget why you do what you do. The person you have to fight isn’t Soojin. »

 


 

« Are we waiting for someone? »

 

Miyeon raises from the couch, she leaves Minnie in their living room and quickly goes to the door. Here, she finds Soojin with a bag from the convenience store. The woman seems tired, but her eyes are shining brightly.

 

« I got ramen. »

 

« Come in. But no work talk. »

 

« I know the rules. »

 

« Yet you break them. »

 

« Can’t help it. »

 

Soojin takes off her shoes and makes her way to the kitchen. There she quickly prepares three ramen, she also has a few skewers, and beers. She then joins the couple in the living room, Minnie welcomes the food happily, while Miyeon tells Soojin to be careful while eating to not ruin her carpet.

 

« Thank you for the food. »

 

Soojin digs in immediately.

 

« So. Why are you here, Jinnie? »

 

« Remy is out of town. »

 

« As always, we are your second choice. »

 

« Ah ah. I just needed some company, I can’t seem to sleep these days. »

 

« Really? What is happening? »

 

Miyeon is always very caring of the younger woman. Soojin loves to act all tough when people are around, but as it is only the three of them, she lets Miyeon caress her hair, and even lean in her touch.

 

Minnie looks with fondness at the way her fiancée takes care of Soojin. The two have known each other for over a decade, when Soojin was only eighteen and freshly landed from France. Soojin’s parents had chosen to leave their country a long time ago, and Soojin chose to come back.

 

Miyeon met her at the university, and never let go of Soojin. She saw the woman grow up and was by her side when her path became more difficult. Miyeon’s affection for Soojin isn’t one-sided, Soojin just shows that she cares differently.

 

Miyeon likes physical affection, while Soojin prefers to show her sentiment through her gestures. Like when she always answers present when Miyeon invites her somewhere, or when she pushes Miyeon to confess her feelings to Minnie.

 

« This movie makes me as excited as you are about marrying Minnie. »

 

It makes Miyeon and Minnie blush, and Soojin laughs at them.

 

 

 


I read something about making a character lovable. I was worried Soojin's character wouldn't be lovable.
In other news, we finally had a scene without Soojin. Also, we learned more about Soojin's past. Even if it was tiny.

 

The story is moving forward, I think the pace is good. I wonder if all the characters are okay? I really thought it through for the girls, but for characters like Remy, Yong, or Park Jiwan, I made them up without much thought. Their only purpose is to serve the story.