Chapter [16]

Call My Agent

 

Soojin watches as Miyeon changes her dress for the fifth time. It has been decided, Minnie and Miyeon will have a modern wedding rather than a traditional one. And as the date is approaching, most of the preparation has been taken care of; only the dress hasn’t been decided on Miyeon’s side.

 

The publicist forced Soojin to take a whole day off to help her choose a dress, shoes, makeup and hairstyle for the said day. Soojin didn’t have much say in it, and here she is in a comfortable couch watching her friend trying on dresses.

 

Miyeon would turn around, show her the piece under all the possible angles, and Soojin would give her the most soulless answer. It is exactly why she chose Soojin to come with her; unless the woman shows her an actual reaction, she hasn’t found the right dress.

 

« No work, Jinnie. »

 

« I am just answering a text while you are changing. »

 

Soojin’s attention is on her phone showing her a multiple text messages form no other than Shuhua. She reads them, reacts to the funny one and types a quick answer before hiding her phone to focus on Miyeon. Shuhua keeps making her phone buzz, and Soojin does her best to focus only on Miyeon.

 

« What about this one? »

 

« Great color. »

 

« Really? Is there nothing else you like about this dress? »

 

« … No. »

 

Miyeon sighs, she turns around to look at herself in the mirror. The dress is nice, but it isn’t the right dress. Soojin in the background is on her phone again, uninterested by Miyeon’s critical deciding over her dress.

 

« What is it in your phone that is so interesting? »

 

« Nothing. »

 

Miyeon decides to turn around and leans over to grab Soojin’s phone. The later doesn’t even fight much, she watches as Miyeon goes through her opened message conversation. She has a small idea of what her friend will say about it.

 

« Yeh Shuhua… again. You text each other almost everyday… Wow. »

 

Soojin avoids the heavy stare of unspoken words. She doesn’t want to talk about it, she decides to stand up and looks around the shop. Maybe it will change her mind, make Miyeon’s stare less uncomfortable. They both know what the older wants to say.

 

« I like Shuhua. She is a really kind person. I don’t think she is truly realizing what she got herself into with the movie, but I believe she has wonderful people around her. She likes you a lot, and… you like her a lot too. »

 

Soojin continues to look at the dresses around the store. Miyeon is behind her, still wearing the fifth dress that Soojin did not validate. She knows Soojin needs to hear those words, even if she doesn’t want to. This is the first time the agent opens up so much to someone alien to her close circle of friends.

 

« It is okay to like someone, Soojin. »

 

« Here, try this one. »

 

Miyeon chuckles lightly, she thanks Soojin and takes the dress from her, before heading toward the dressing room. The agent continues her tour of the shop, looking around for a dress that would actually suit her friend. Her mind is split between Miyeon and Shuhua.

 

She believes anything unrelated to work is not important, even when her heart feels a little warmer at the sight of Shuhua. She pushes every single emotions deep inside her, and tells herself she will eventually take a look at it but never does. Soojin puts her work before everything. Even before herself. She needs to stay professional, and Shuhua is an actress, she has to be professional.

 

But is it professional to spend her time off with Shuhua? To hang out with the actress for fun? To come running to her every time she asks for her? To constantly text her? To sleep at her place? She doesn’t want to answer those questions and pushes them away.

 

« Jinnie. What do you think? »

 

Soojin turns around, she walks back toward the fitting room, and nothing comes out of . Miyeon is wearing a tight fitting dress at the top which becomes larger and bigger at the waist. The lace is spreading along her arms and finishes a bit before her wrist. The material of the top is a well made game of hide and seek playing with the lace to cover and uncover the chest. It feels like Miyeon is being one with her dress. As if it was made for her, and everything going on Soojin’s heart is too much.

 

She sees herself meeting Miyeon for the first time on the campus of the university. Miyeon is already in her third year while she is only starting. The kind girl offered to help Soojin as the girl seemed lost, and then she even invited her to a coffee. Soojin was only so grateful to find someone so kind to talk to, moving from France wasn’t the easiest thing to do, and Koreans of her age already had their group of friends not really willing to mingle much outside of it.

 

Miyeon has always been different, and interesting in Soojin’s eyes. She had a way with making people feel comfortable and understood people’s need very well. Soojin didn’t think much of her at the beginning, but she kept hearing Miyeon’s name across campus, and one night at a party, Miyeon and her got wasted together. At this instant, drunk to their head, they swear to stay friend forever. Neither of them back down from the promise; soon after they moved in together and stayed roommate for many years.

 

Miyeon is Soojin’s favorite person. There is nothing she will not do for her friend that she considers family. As she sees Miyeon in the dress, she feels tears going down her cheeks, warm tears now all over her cheeks and blurring her view.

 

« Jinnie, why are you crying? »

 

« You are so pretty. »

 

Miyeon rushes to her friend to take her in her arms. Soojin feels so small and she squeezes her hard in her embrace.

 

« I think we found the dress. I will be upset if Minnie doesn’t cry as hard as you. »

 

Soojin doesn’t even response, lost in her tears, only a laugh escape.

 


 

« Remy, stop asking. I won’t show you. »

 

« Oh come on! I want to know what Miyeon will look like. »

 

Soojin shakes her head, she promised to not show anyone the dress of the bride, and even with two drinks in her system she won’t crumble under Remy’s pressure. Yuqi, sitting next to Soojin has been watching the duo bickering about it for a good five minutes.

 

« You won’t help me? »

 

« You are a fool to believe Soojin will betray Miyeon. »

 

« Ergh… I bet she showed you already! »

 

« I know as little as you do! »

 

Remy rolls his eyes before finishing his glass. Soojin stays quiet, busy grilling the meat. The three agents have decided to go on a little outing to drink and eat together. It is their way of blowing off some steam, especially now that Minnie is fully busy with her wedding. Remy and Soojin are handling the company, and Yuqi has now double the amount of talents.

 

« So, who are you planning to bring to the wedding? »

 

« I am still waiting for Soojin to ask me. »

 

« I already have someone I am planning to ask. »

 

« Oh really? Who- Ah. »

 

« Why are you two giving me this face? I can ask anyone I want as far as I know. »

 

« Oh… you can. »

 

Yuqi chuckles, Soojin focuses on the meat and puts bites in Yuqi and Remy’s plate with rude thongs. Remy keeps wiggling his eyebrows, but the agent is ignoring him entirely.

 

« Why have you not asked her yet? »

 

« I didn’t have the time. »

 

« That’s funny you mention that, because you were on the phone with her just this morning. »

 

« It was work related. »

 

Remy and Yuqi exchange a knowing look. Yuqi decides to not push it so much, and changes the subject.

 

« I asked Soyeon to come with me. I hope it is okay with you, Soojin. »

 

« Why wouldn’t it be? »

 

« Okay… Everyone at this table knows Soyeon and you used to date. I want to add that everyone as well knows there is something going on with Shuhua. We are your friends Soojin and we aren’t judging you, but you have to stop taking us for dummies. »

 

« I am not- »

 

« Answer Yuqi’s question. »

 

« There is no problem with you bringing Soyeon. I didn’t know you were close like this. »

 

« … Actually, I am planning to make it official with her. I… I really like Soyeon, and I think she likes me too. She told me she needed some time before starting a relationship with someone. I know your history still weights on the two of you, and- »

 

« You don’t have to worry about that. »

 

« I am not worried about your common past. I know things have ended long ago, already. And that’s the problem, it has been so long and yet you both are still lingering on it. »

 

« Lingering? I- »

 

« Oh come on, Soojin. You avoid her when she is at the company, every time you are at an event where she is invited you act all weird and drink more than you should. »

 

« I don’t- »

 

« Have you two talked? »

 

« We have. We have settled things down. Why are you two ganging up on me? »

 

« We aren’t. Why are you being so defensive, Soojin? »

 

« I- Hey! I said I was fine with you going with Soyeon. End of the conversation. »

 

Soojin puts a bite of meat in , and chews it angrily. Remy and Yuqi are exchanging looks and trying to not laugh. They know their friend is not truly angry but they want to respect Soojin, so they keep it all in. Remy serves Soojin another drink, it is quiet for a moment.

 

« So, you two are planning to make it official? »

 

« Well… I do. I don’t think Soyeon knows about it yet. But… I believe she will be happy about it. »

 

« We support you Yuqi, looking forward to Soyeon’s answer. How can anyone resist her? Even I couldn’t say no. »

 

« … This is too much for me. Remy, make me another drink. »

 

Yuqi rolls her eyes at Soojin’s grimace, but she knows the woman is just as supportive as Remy is when it concerns her. Yuqi looks at her plate and a warm feeling spread inside her, Soojin despite the conversation keeps on putting the best meat pieces perfectly grilled in her plate.

 


 

Minnie watches from the kitchen bar two of the most important person of her life looking over Soojin’s phone. Miyeon is holding the device in her hand, reading quickly through the conversation on the screen while Soojin points out to the important things. Minnie can’t help the immense smile on her lips.

 

It is the way Soojin is anxious and very much serious about it all, and how Miyeon supports her the best she can. Sometimes, Soojin looks like the weight of her worries will crush her, but Minnie knows better than anyone that the woman is a giant, and she will fight until the very end.

 

« So, is your first choice agreeing to be your date? »

 

Miyeon and Soojin raise their head at the same time.

 

« Well I heard you say Shuhua three times already. I just connected the dots. »

 

« Isn’t she so smart? »

 

Soojin freezes for a moment before looking at Miyeon with disgust. Minnie is lightly blushing while Miyeon is smiling like a teenager.

 

« I know you are getting married. Please don’t remind me bad memories. »

 

« Bad memories? »

 

« I spent half a year hearing you two swoon over the other. I don’t need to relive it, it is disgusting and annoying. I don’t know if it is your wedding making you two extra about each other but not when I am around, I am asking nicely. »

 

« Fine. We will limit our love so you don’t perish. »

 

« Thank you very much, Minnie. »

 

« So? Is it serious between Shuhua and you? I thought you two were only working together. »

 

« Nicha… I understand why Soojin is the one who brought us together now. »

 

« What? First time they had to work together, Soojin was ready to exclude her despite her talent. »

 

« I wouldn’t have done it. I am not… a monster. »

 

« You couldn’t stay in the same room without something happening. »

 

« She slapped me! »

 

Minnie rolls her eyes so hard she wonders how they aren’t stuck. Miyeon on the side is hiding a laugh behind her hand while Soojin is slowly starting to get grumpy.

 

« Still! How did it happen? I didn’t even see anything… »

 

« Well, you are currently working on your wedding and your honey moon so, it makes sense. »

 

Miyeon nods, her eyes searching for Minnie’s.

 

« So now, you and Shuhua are a thing. »

 

« Okay. Shuhua and I aren’t thing. I just want to ask her to be my plus one at the wedding. That’s about it. »

 

« Soojin is still working on figuring out her feelings. »

 

« Shut up, Miyeon. Shuhua and I are just getting along well. I don’t have feelings for her. Don’t put words in my mouth. »

 

Soojin’s tone is almost threatening but only because she dislikes that Miyeon is implying something that isn’t the case. Minnie takes the phone from the table, she scrolls through the messages, and when Soojin realizes she starts to read the messages out loud.

 

« Thank you for the coffee this morning, I really hope we can see each other soon. I am busy this weekend, I am hanging out with some friends. Actually they are the crew of the movie, they are really great! On Monday’s afternoon, I am free, maybe we could go see a movie together? Or maybe hang out at my place? Have a good day, can’t wait to see you!

10:03AM, and you still haven’t responded it is almost 5:00PM. »

 

« This is what I have been telling her. Shuhua obviously likes you a lot. »

 

« It is only admiration, or whatever. You know about it Minnie, sometimes they are a little impressed and gets attached to their agent. I guess it is even more the case seeing she is from Taiwan. »

 

« Shuhua is very attached to Yuqi, you are right about that. »

 

« Just answer her message, Jinnie. »

 

Soojin gets her phone back from Minnie, she stares at the screen for a long minute. Minnie ends up sighing, and tells Soojin to get a hold of herself and respond to the poor actress. Miyeon gets in between, she takes Soojin’s phone and types an answer quickly before giving the phone back to Soojin.

 

« Now send it. »

 

« I am not sending that. »

 

« Send it, Seo Soojin. »

 

« Fine. »

 


 

If there is one thing Soyeon never expected when she decided to come back to Korea, it is to see Soojin so soon. Wen she heard her name again for the first time, she felt strange, a kind of excitement that is quite difficult to handle. She both wanted to see her and never meet path with her. Eventually, she decided to confront the problem head on was the best thing to do.

 

That is what she did. She sent the script to Soojin on purpose, creating the opportunity to see the agent. She never expected Soojin to give the script to another agent, but she was thankful; that is how she got to meet Yuqi. The Chinese woman was a breath of fresh air, outspoken, loud, unafraid, and beautiful.

 

Yuqi has something that really touched Soyeon: her sincerity. The way she always communicates her feelings, she never pressures Soyeon into sharing hers, even if Soyeon knows the woman would like if she shared more of herself. Soyeon tries, it just isn’t easy. Especially after how her last relationship ended, this is why she thought that if she managed to close Soojin’s chapter, she will be able to open herself more to Yuqi.

 

The truth is… Soyeon is scared. Scared once again the person she likes will not choose her. She is scared to choose Yuqi, and Yuqi will not do the same choice. Yet, Yuqi has been choosing her again and again, always taking the time to send her a message during the day, proposing her to go on date every time they have some free time, she even sent her a bouquet of flowers the day Shuhua finished her filming in her TV show, thanking her for taking good care of her actress.

 

Soyeon looks at the asleep woman in her arms. Yuqi is resting between her arms completely snuggled against her. Soyeon runs her fingers through the woman’s hair, making Yuqi snuggle even closer to her.

 

They had a date night, again. Yuqi invited Soyeon to come upstair with her, and the producer followed her. They only talked, around a glass of wine because the two of them are a fan of the drink. From one thing to another, they moved it to the bedroom and ended up snuggling each other in Yuqi’s bed until they fell asleep. Well, Yuqi fell asleep, but Soyeon is still awake, many thoughts running through her mind.

 

« I hope you choose me, because all I want is to choose you. You don’t realize how grateful I am to know you. I want to share more of myself with you… I like you a lot, Yuqi. A lot. »

 


 

« Minnie never said anything about meetings half way the other side of town! »

 

« Don’t scream at me. »

 

« I have an important lunch at two! I thought it was a zoom meeting, not an in real life thing. What does it even change? All of that for an American movie? What are we? Slave to their will? »

 

« How many coffee did you have? »

 

« Like… counting this one? Five-ish… »

 

Remy grabs Soojin’s cup of coffee and finishes it for her despite the brutal consequences of his action. He knows it is dangerous, he is trapped in a car with a high on caffeine Soojin and stuck in traffic on top of it all. So many circumstances that do nothing for a good ending.

 

« you, Remy! That was mine. And now I have nothing to drink while we are stuck in this damn car! »

 

« Don’t listen to her, she is grateful to be in this taxi. Here, have some water. »

 

« I don’t want some stupid water, I want to finish this meeting before my lunch. »

 

« What is this lunch about? »

 

« I have been trying to book a brand deal for Shuhua. Before you say anything, it was Yuqi’s idea, I just happen to know the guy in charge of the advertisement strategy. »

 

« You slept with him? »

 

« No. »

 

Remy smirks. Soojin punches him in the arm.

 

« Okay once, but it was years ago. »

 

« Hum…Good for you two. I hope your lunch gets you that deal. »

 

« Thank you, Remy for your kind and heartfelt encouragements. »

 

The ride continues until they finally reach their destination, Soojin exits the car quickly, Remy behind her. One thing Remy likes about being with Soojin is that she isn’t afraid to face the room, it helps Remy a lot to know he can depend on her in situations he doesn’t always feel comfortable in. Facing a room full of business man ready to eat you alive is a situation he doesn’t particularly enjoys.

 

« Are you ready? »

 

« How is my lipstick? »

 

« Perfect. Very red. »

 

« Okay. We’re going. Also… Shuhua agreed to be my date. »

 

« That’s great, Soojin. Rooting for you two. I am going with Yujin. »

 

« What! »

 

The elevator doors open and Soojin doesn’t have the time to ask more questions. Like isn’t Yujin married already? Since when are Remy and her so close? And what even is happening in Remy’s life and why doesn’t she know about it?

 

Except, it isn’t the time.

 


 

« It is nice, isn’t it? »

 

« What am I eight? »

 

Yuqi sighs, she puts down her ice cream pot and turns to look at Shuhua. The actress keeps on eating it, the chocolate flavor is her favorite and even if she is complaining about it.

 

« You have been down all day long, I wanted to cheer you up. Is there something I should be worry about? »

 

« Thank you. But everything is fine. »

 

« Really? It really doesn’t seem like it… »

 

Shuhua finishes her ice cream, her legs are hanging from the pick-nick table they are sitting on. Around them is the wind of the night sweeping everyone’s worries away. The perfect hour for an ice cream apparently. The lack of light makes it impossible to see much around them, but at least they can see the stars. Shuhua ends up laying down on the table and Yuqi does the same.

 

« Soojin invited me as her date for Minnie and Miyeon’s wedding. »

 

« Isn’t it good news? »

 

« She hasn’t been answering my texts or phone calls ever since. I haven’t seen her in a week. »

 

« Soojin is extra busy those days. She officially became co-CEO with Remy, and she has more work than ever. It isn’t related to you if this what you are worrying about. »

 

Shuhua rests her head on Yuqi’s shoulder, finding comfort in her agent. Yuqi is her most precious friend, out here in Korea, and maybe in her wall life.

 

« I think I like Soojin. »

 

« Oh… »

 

« I like her a lot. I… I have never liked anyone like this before. »

 

Yuqi doesn’t really know what to say, because she isn’t very experienced in this department either. Being homeschooled isn’t the best way to broaden your social life. When she went to Taiwan, she was so focused on finding ways to make her way in the movie world that she didn’t really take the time to date around.

 

« I don’t know how to tell her. »

 

« You want to tell her? »

 

« I don’t know what else am I supposed to do. »

 

« Yeah… you are right. »

 

« This is why this week I kept on trying to get a hold of her. It isn’t something you say on the phone, or by text. It is important for me to tell her in person. … Do you think she knows already and this is why she hasn’t been responding? »

 

« I don’t think so. »

 

« Have you ever liked someone? »

 

« … I do like someone right now. »

 

« Who? »

 

Shuhua raises her head to look at Yuqi, and the eyes of the woman are so easy to read, she tells herself she is stupid for even asking.

 

« Ah yeah, Jeon Soyeon. I like her too. … Is she your date for the wedding? »

 

« Yes. I was scared she wouldn’t want to come. »

 

« Because of Soojin? »

 

« Yeah… »

 

There is a long silence between the two of them, the stars are staring back, bright of lights. Shuhua takes long breathes trying to focus on her train of thoughts. Yuqi is also deep in her thoughts, away from the world.

 

It is all Yuqi’s idea to take some times out of the city. They didn’t have to drive for too long to find a nice spot. Yuqi only wanted to offer Shuhua some piece and quiet after her day, and apparently she seems to be needing it too. Between the shooting of Shuhua’s movie, Yuqi’s other talents, the company, the wedding, Soyeon, there is so much to handle. It is nice to take a break.

 

« Did you tell Soyeon you like her? »

 

« Yes. »

 

« What did she say? »

 

« She said she liked me too. But… that she still had some things to figure out before going further. »

 

« Hum… Have you two kissed? »

 

« Nope. Not yet. »

 

« Lame. »

 

« Hey! »

 

Shuhua laughs and Yuqi follows her. It starts to get cold with the sun completely gone and the warmth of the day away. They decide to drive back to Seoul. Yuqi pushes a soft song in the speaker of her car, and Shuhua curls up on the passenger seat.

 

« I hope you and Soyeon figure things out so you can be together. I know you like her a lot, and she seems to like you a lot too. Every time you were on set with me, you were glued to her. »

 

« You are being dramatic. I only talked to her a bit. »

 

« I was starting to think you only came to see Soyeon. »

 

« Oh my God, this is totally false! »

 

« I see now that it was indeed the truth. Somehow, I rarely see you talk with Jiwan. »

 

« Jiwan believes Soojin is your agent anyway. »

 

« Jiwan believes she has her chance with Soojin. »

 

« You noticed too. I thought I was the only one. »

 

« Yuqi, everyone knows she has a thing for Soojin. If someone want something from Jiwan they make Soojin ask her for them. 100% sure it will work. »

 

« God… Poor woman. »


hey, well thank you for reading and following the story and commenting (mostly to ask me to update but you are right, pressuring me does work a little). I have been working on other stories and putting this one away, but I promised myself to finish it, so I am keeping this promise by updating it!
I wish you all a nice day, and see you next time! :):