Chapter [17]

Call My Agent

 

Miyeon and Minnie’s wedding is soon. Actually, it is very soon. So soon that Soojin has been slowly but surely relying – way too much – on coffee to get herself going. She doesn’t even remember the last time she closed her eyes while laying on a bed.

All she knows is that she always wakes up with a painful neck because she spent the night folded on herself in her living room trying to catch up on all her work. Not that she is late, she is just trying to do everything at once, and she has way;a too many projects going on for her to remain a sane person.

On top of it all, she has the heavy responsibility of officiating her best friend’s weeding. While the two women aren’t planning to officially marry in Korea due to the impossibility, this celebration of their love is important, and Soojin wants her words for the couple to be the right ones. So every free moment she has, she uses it to write and rewrite her speech.

There are time where she believes it would be easier to find something meaningful to say if she would have more experience with love herself. Yet, she would be lying if she says Soyeon and her didn’t share something as deep as Miyeon and Minnie. Soyeon was her first love, and she would be wrong to disregard their story in anyway.

« Are you going to let go of the coffee pot? »

Soojin automatically releases the handle of the pot but stays in front of the machine with her fuming cup still in hand. Remy gently moves her to the side before serving himself. He then pushes her toward the table and pushes her down on a chair. Clearly, the woman needs to stop working.

« You should take the day off. »

« What are you saying? We have meetings with two productions and JTBC today. »

« I know, we share the same calendar, remember? Since all the meetings are in the morning, instead of walking the office as a zombie, I believe you should take the afternoon off, at least. For everyone’s shake. People are starting to get scared. »

Soojin kicks Remy’s shin. He glares at her, and Soojin understands he won’t take no for an answer. After all it is only one afternoon, and she herself feels so low on energy this days. So this is why she agrees to Remy’s words, not that he won anything.
 


 

« I thought you were avoiding me. »

Remy would kill her if he knew she was out again, walking through Insadong with Shuhua. The actress has been more than happy to respond to Soojin’s invitation to spend the afternoon out. Soojin didn’t know why she sent the text, but after her initial usual happiness at the sight of Soojin, the actress has suddenly been quiet.

Until now, where she has stop in front of a random shop and is seemingly looking at the goodies but Soojin knows better.

« I have been busy, lately. »

« That’s what Yuqi said. But still. You could have answered my texts if you weren’t going to answer my calls. »

Soojin frowns. Shuhua’s tone is different from usual. The ever so easy-going beat to her words is lost in an emotion Soojin isn’t familiar with. The actress giving her her back isn’t helping at all, and for a moment, she doesn’t know what to say.

Yes, it is the truth, she has been busy. She saw all of Shuhua’s texts and calls. And she did nothing about them. Because she didn’t have the time to fit Shuhua in her schedule. She didn’t have the time to let Shuhua lure her into spending the night at her place or hang out around town until Shuhua is so tired she has to walk her home.

It isn’t her fault.

« I took more responsibilities recently. I am not as available as I used to be, and I didn’t want to deceive you by constantly declining your invitations. »

« So you couldn’t say that to me? You thought it was better not to respond at all? »

Shuhua is now looking at her. There is no doubt in what she is feeling, Soojin is good at reading people’s eyes and Shuhua has very expressive ones. They are beautiful, but they are filled with pain.

« I get it. I do. Really. »

She nods to herself before walking past Soojin, her shoulder brushing the agent.

« I prefer when you are honest with me, Soojin. »

The icy tone of her words doesn’t sit right with Soojin. She turns around and grabs Shuhua’s wrist. She refuses to drop the conversation like this, and more importantly she still doesn’t understand.

« You would prefer being rejected? »

« If it means that you are being honest with me then yes. »

« I was trying to not hurt your feelings. I was being considerate. »

Shuhua looks at Soojin’s hand on her wrist, Soojin immediately lets go, but Shuhua takes her hand in hers instead. She misses Soojin more than she is mad at her. She doesn’t want them to fight. She manages to interlace her fingers with Soojin and she tugs on her hand to have her closer.

Shuhua secretly likes that Soojin is a bit taller than her, so she has to bend her neck a bit to look at her in the eyes properly when they are this close. Soojin’s gaze is as intense as ever, even if it is full of confusion right now.

« You were ignoring me – not that I am mad at you about it. I prefer when you tell me things as they are. »

Shuhua smiles. Her fingers are playing with Soojin’s. She is waiting for a sign from the woman before making another move. Finally, Soojin lets out a small smile.

« Okay. »

It is enough for Shuhua to let her body go against Soojin and wrapping her available arm around her waist. She hugs her close to her, breathing in the fresh and clean perfume of Soojin. It feels even better when Soojin hugs her body too and lets her cheek rest on the top of her head. Shuhua feels small between her arms, and yet she would change nothing about it.

« I missed you. I don’t want to spend the little time I have with you being resentful. And I know that you are busy, and so will I be once we start to shoot the movie. So I just want to enjoy the time I have with you. »

« You make it sounds like one of us will pass away. »

Shuhua chuckles in the hug. Soojin tries to end it but Shuhua refuses to let go, and she is forced to let the actress hug her for another two minutes. Shuhua eventually lets go of Soojin but quickly compensate by putting Soojin’s arm around her shoulders.

« I- »

« Look. Don’t you think we look good like this? »

Soojin looks in the direction Shuhua is pointing at. She sees their reflection in a mirror on the other side of the street. Shuhua is happier than earlier, grinning big as she holds into Soojin’s arm around her shoulders. Clearly the actress loves it, and Soojin doesn’t feel like disagreeing to her happiness.

« I guess I look good like that. »

Soojin wiggles her fingers in Shuhua’s hold, making the woman smiles bigger.

« Let me take a picture. »

 


 

Soojin knew it would end up like this when she texted Shuhua in the morning, but it is fine, for once she will sleep in a bed and maybe wake up without a strain neck.

« Hum… Are you not sleeping yet? »

Shuhua next to her is half awake, with her eyes barely opened, she looks adorable. Soojin stops in the middle of her sentence to caress Shuhua’s hair. Her other hand is taken by Shuhua who fell asleep holding it as soon as they hit the bed.

« I need to write down something important. I will join you in a few. »

Soojin is already picking her pen back and finishing her sentence, but Shuhua groans next to her.

« You won’t leave, hum? »

« No. I won’t leave. I told you already, I’ll be with you at the rehearsals in the morning. »

Shuhua nods against Soojin’s hand before leaving a kiss on it and closing her tired eyes. She likes the comfort Soojin brings her when she is around, and she loves even more the way her heart gets animated when Soojin is around. She wishes she could fall asleep with the woman next to her every night. But for now, she will hold on tight to every occasion she gets to spend time with Soojin.

Soojin continues to write down as inspiration has finally decided to greet her. Every word, every sentence feel right, and when it finally stops, she puts it away and tries to lay down next to Shuhua without waking her up. It doesn’t work and Shuhua wakes up slightly to find a better position between Soojin’s arms.

For once, sleep comes easily to Soojin. It has always been easier for her to fall asleep when someone else is in bed with her. She doesn’t know why she dislikes the feeling of being in an empty bed – it is the reason she rarely ever uses hers. She has always preferred to sleep at Remy’s or to find someone’s arms for one night. This days she has been staying up working until she fell asleep on her couch.

She signs happily when she looks at the paper almost entirely covered in words on her side. It makes her think about the time Miyeon and her used to be roommates and how she would sneak in Miyeon’s bed and sleep with her almost every night. Miyeon is her favorite person in the world, and she never questions why Soojin constantly avoids her own room, and now even her own apartment.

 


 

« You asked Soojin? Why? »

« I didn’t ask her… I just- She is my friend, and I didn’t want it to be a surprise for her, so I told her. »

« She is your friend? »

Soyeon frowns at the new information.

« I thought she was more of a coworker. »

Yuqi sighs heavily. She feels like she isn’t expressing herself correctly. She doesn’t want to hurt Soyeon’s feelings but she also doesn’t want to lie or hide anything to the woman. Soyeon is important.

« Soojin is my friend, on top of being my coworker, and I care about her. Also, it is the wedding of her favorite person in the world. I can’t come and ruin it for her. I know it is almost as important for Soojin as it is for Miyeon. So. I told her about it, and she said that she was okay. I just think it will be nice if you two could be at the same event without awkwardly avoiding each other. »

Soyeon thinks for a second even if she knows that Yuqi is right. The thing is… Yuqi is right. Yuqi told Soojin, because she cares about Soojin, but also because she cares about Soyeon. All she wants is for two people she cares a lot about to put the past behind them. But most importantly, Yuqi told Soyeon about it because it was important for her to be honest.

« … What would you have done if Soojin wasn’t okay with it? »

« I would have told my boss I couldn’t come to her wedding and hoped that she doesn’t fire me. »

Soyeon can help but to chuckle at the silliness of the woman in front of her. It is silence between the two for a moment. Soyeon takes the time to take Yuqi’s hands in hers, she interlaces their fingers and brings the woman closer on the couch so their knees are touching.

« … Thank you. »

« What for? »

« For choosing me. »

The words are heavy, but in a good way, and Yuqi doesn’t even feel them falling on her shoulders. Soyeon looks at her differently, but she couldn’t say what exactly is different.

The moment goes on. Soyeon’s eyes don’t leave hers for a second, those eyes are saying something, but Yuqi isn’t sure of what she is reading in them. Suddenly, her heart seems louder than usual, and a wave of heat is taking over her body. It worries her that her hands might get sweaty while Soyeon is holding them, and her eyes drop to her lap before coming back to Soyeon’s.

Soyeon notices how Yuqi’s eyes linger only for a split second on her lips, and it makes her do the same thing. Will they?

Soyeon wants it. And she is almost certain that Yuqi wants it just as much.

« I like you a lot… »

Soyeon feels her cheeks heating up.

Yuqi’s eyes go down to Soyeon’s lips before going up again. She leans in slowly, her hands in Soyeon’s are getting sweaty, but she doesn’t dare to let go. Soyeon closes her eyes just before Yuqi kisses her. She takes in every sensations that comes with the kiss, and when Yuqi pulls back, she grabs her neck and pulls her right back for another kiss.

Yuqi moans in the kiss, as the sensations are very new to her, and she feels everything in every part of her body. Soyeon’s hand on her neck is giving her goosebumps and the slight biting on her bottom lips is making her heart beat even stronger.

Soyeon pulls away from Yuqi’s lips but keeps their forehead touching. Yuqi still has her eyes close. It is adorable. It takes her a few seconds to open them again, and she shyly smiles when she meets Soyeon’s eyes.

« I… Wow. »

Yuqi isn’t sure how to form correct sentences after what just happened. Soyeon caresses her cheek, she leans in again and gives it a small kiss before pulling away completely.

« Wanna order something to eat? »

« I… I… Yes. »

Soyeon turns away with her phone in hand, to leave Yuqi some time to recover as apparently the small woman is still in shamble. She thinks it is adorable, and she herself feels on the ninth cloud high in happiness.

It is while she searches for something to order that her mind goes back to the beginning of her conversation with Yuqi. Now that she feels calmer, new thoughts are popping in her brain.

« I don’t think I got who Soojin was going with. »

Soyeon casually sits back on the couch of Yuqi’ living room. Yuqi looks up from her phone, ready to ask Soyeon what did she order. The sudden question is a surprise and she feels caught out of guard.

« Hum… Soojin is going with Shuhua. Yeh Shuhua. »

Soyeon tries to stay casual as she nods for a response. She remembers the actress perfectly, she realized how much she liked working with her once the drama ended, and she hopes to work again with the actress in the future.

As for Shuhua and Soojin going together, it doesn’t really come as a surprise. It was crystal clear in her eyes that the actress had a thing for the agent and Soyeon can’t blame her. She understands more than anyone how easy it is to fall for the agent as she herself years ago ended up giving her heart to the woman.

« This kid… She is going places, always asking fro what she wants. »

« Oh… It is Soojin who asked her. »

Soyeon opens in surprise. The information is almost chocking knowing it is the wedding of Soojin’s best friend she wouldn’t go there with just anyone. The even is too important. Soyeon feels her heart swelling at the realization.

« It isn’t a one-sided thing… »

« What are you talking about? »

« Oh, but you know what I am talking about. »

Soyeon’s eyes are playful again, looking at Yuqi with a glimpse of malice while the agent is still figuring out what the other is implying. Yuqi seems to not be able to grasp what is truly going on and Soyeon can’t blame her, it will take more than a few months for Yuqi to stop seeing Soojin as a powerful and intangible figure. Soojin is more than that, and Soyeon believes that it is all the little thing under the surface that actually make Soojin so lovable, and they are why Soyeon fell in love with years ago.

« You know… Maybe we should open a beer while waiting? Hum? »

 


 

« So what do you think of it? »

Remy turns on himself, the same way Miyeon did with her wedding dress a few weeks ago. Soojin rolls her eyes. She gets up and inspects Remy closely before nodding and going back to her seat. Remy walks a bit more, testing his costume with different movements. Soojin is already back on her phone.

« I think I will take this one. Yujin said she likes blue on me. »

Soojin’s eyes immediately perk up. Among the chaos of her journey and her own personal troubles, she had forgotten the big news of Remy and Yujin attending the wedding together.

« Did Yujin get divorce? Miyeon said nothing about it. »

Remy chuckles, all happy with himself as he spins around.

« Yujin… didn’t get divorce. Her husband and her currently are currently having a difficult time, so they are separated. And before you say anything. She asked me if I was okay with going with her as friends. »

« As friends? Really, she said that? »

Remy narrows his eyes at the devilish smirk Soojin is giving him.

« Don’t start. Plus… You dropped me for some young actress. »

« Yeah, I wanted some change. Back to you, tho. I don’t believe in whatever this going as friend thing is. You have been flirting with her ever since you met her, there is no way Yujin doesn’t know you have a thing for her. »

« I can keep it my hand to myself. Even drunk, unlike some people that I know. »

Soojin scoffs more amused than offended by Remy’s words. Remy spins on himself again while checking himself in the mirror. One of the employee winks at him and he winks back as the woman is rather pretty. Soojin rolls her eyes.

« So. I hope Shuhua is ready to handle your drunk handy self. »

« Why? You will be too busy with your friend Yujin? »

« Hum, surely something like that. »

« She is married, Remy. »

« I know. »

« Then drop the smile. »

Remy smiles bigger and walks back to the changing room. Soojin breathes longly. This is not going to end well, but what else can she do? Maybe Remy can enjoy itself some time with a woman he likes for one night.

Remy’s love life unlike Soojin’s is rather active. The man is very attractive, tall with clear eyes and soft hair that every woman always want to run her fingers through. He also maintains a good shape, and he naturally attracts looks. Soojin believes his kindness and warm smile are his most attractive qualities. Still, the man is a real catch and used to date a lot.

He is always searching for a serious relationship rather than casual like Soojin, but he has so far end up disappointed. His work, and his close relationship with Soojin being the two major causes of the end of his relationship. Soojin feels sorry that no woman seems to be willing to understand that Remy and her share a tight and important friendship and always see the agent as a threat.

Remy comes back with the same charming smile before heading toward the register to pay. Soojin follows him with a distance as she watches the selling woman trying to flirt with her friend. Remy is in such a happy mood, he even responds to her tentative.

Finally they live the store and continue their day off around the shopping district. Eventually they stop for coffee, and Soojin even orders a sweet treat for the both of them. Remy notices how the woman is in rather good mood.

« What’s with you, today? Got a good news I am not aware of? »

« Hum… I am eating sweets. »

« You have been upbeat since… Oh. Does it has to do with a certain foreigner? »

Soojin squints her eyes. Remy’s smile stretches on his lips.

« The other day when I told you to take the afternoon off. What did you do? Hum. I won’t believe you if you say that you stayed home good and quiet. »

« I went out for a bit. »

« Lying is bad Miss Seo. »

Remy moves his finger in front of her. Soojin pushes his hand away from her face. She tries to hide her smile with an annoyed pout but Remy doesn’t buy any of it.

« So. Did you two have a good time? What did you do? »

« Nothing special. We just hang out. »

«Hum… Where are you two in your relationship, anyway? »

Soojin’s attention goes from her sweet treat to Remy.

« Well, I know you like to live in denial and Miyeon loves you too much to tell you things straight at times. But, I am not Miyeon. So. Where is it going with Shuhua? »

« It is going nowhere in particular. »

« … You invited her to Miyeon’s wedding. And… »

Remy takes a deep breath, he knows Soojin is watching him and he must choose his next words carefully.

« … She has your personal number, even if you don’t always respond, you do check her notifications immediately. You sleep at her place more often than you let me know, and after seen her, you… you look glowing. »

« Glowing? I am not having this kind of relationship with Shuhua. »

Soojin is suddenly embarrassed, her cheek are feeling hotter than she would like just at the idea of her relationship with Shuhua being something else than it currently is. Remy finds it funny that Soojin is so embarrassed by the subject of the conversation.

« So… You two are only friends, right? »

« … I hate you. »

« You know you can tell me everything. I will always listen to you. »

« … I don’t think I am anywhere in particular with Shuhua. I only know that… I need to make this movie work because this is what I have been working for… So… I would love if you would keep… If you would… You know, right? »

« You would love if I wouldn’t let go, I know. Don’t worry, I won’t. I promised, right? »

Soojin nods, she hides her nose in her coffee cup because speaking about feelings like this is not something she is very comfortable doing sober. Still, it feels nice to know that Remy understands even if she doesn’t say the words.

 



« Ergh! I can’t breath! Minnie! »

Soojin tries to fight away Miyeon who is crushing her in a huge hug. In the middle of it, Miyeon starts to cry and Soojin finds herself with a sobbing woman in her arms. She tries to get ride of Miyeon but the woman refuses to let go of her, she squeezes Soojin’s body between her arms and hides her tears in her neck.

« Let go of me. You are ruining my top with your tears! Minnie! Where is Minnie? »

Soojin gets herself around the apartment, and sighs hard when she sees Minnie on the phone on the balcony. She waves at Soojin from there before going back to her conversation. Miyeon has stopped crying in Soojin’s arms and she is now serving both Soojin and herself a glass of water.

« I will send you the dry cleaner’s check. Seriously, Miyeon. »

« I… I am just a bit on edge, it is getting closer and… Pfff…. I want everything to be alright. You understand, right? »

« I don’t understand as you say. I just know that you are on edge. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense. »

« … I am getting married Soojin! »

« I am aware. This is why I don’t understand why you are like this. You are marrying Minnie, not some random person, and there will only be the people you love the most out there. You are… You are doing this with the person you love the most in this world, and this person loves you all the same, and is willing to do everything she can to be with you. Minnie created a damn job for you, it isn’t the time to doubt her. There is nothing worth crying or panicking over in your situation. Plus, I am officiating this wedding, you know I wouldn’t have said yes if I didn’t believe in it. I only sign when it touches my heart. »

Soojin puts a hand on her heart. Her eyes are shinning with excitement and nostalgia. Miyeon, standing in front of her, can’t help a sob at Soojin’s words. She takes a deep breath to calm herself down and finally smiles.

« I forgot… I forgot it is a happy day. »

« Hum… Everyone is here to celebrate your love, and I allow you to go all out with Minnie. … Love her as loud as you want. Because we will all be there to celebrate you two. »

« Jinnie… Let me hug you. »

Soojin doesn’t have the time to escape, she is squeezed between Miyeon’s arms for the second time in less than fifteen minutes. Except this time, she isn’t complaining, she wraps Miyeon in her arms and pats her head.

Minnie enters the apartment, and can’t help feeling her heart swelling in her chest when she sees the two in a tight hug. She too has been dealing with Miyeon’s changing mood. She really can’t blame Miyeon for feeling nervous about the wedding, it is an important moment in their personal life, and she feels equally happy and stressed about the situation.

In one hand, she gets to marry the woman she has been loving with all of her heart, and in the other hand, she wants to do everything well. She wants Miyeon and her to remember this day as one with infinite happiness and the beginning of a new chapter even more beautiful. She wants Miyeon to be happy, and while working on the wedding and her company, she has been organizing their honey moon. She refused anyone’s help, and she might have overworked herself a bit, but it was important for her to do this for Miyeon.

« Finally, you get here when I don’t need you anymore. »

« Nice seeing you too, Soojin. »

Miyeon lets go of Soojin and turns toward Minnie. She immediately understands that her fiancée is trying to find a subject different than work talk right now, but she is failing to do so and instead is remaining quiet.

« Okay. I know you are dying to talk about work with Jinnie. I have something to grab for tonight, I will let you two at it, but when I am back. No work talk. Understood? »

« Hum. »

Minnie smiles and kisses Miyeon with the energy of a little kid. Soojin rolls her eyes but doesn’t say any comment, instead she goes to make Minnie and herself some coffee.

« Well, I will see you later then. Jinnie, you eat with us tonight. Not a question. »

« Hum… Sure. »

Minnie kisses Miyeon goodbye another time, taking the opportunity to do so as Soojin is giving her back and won’t be complaining about it. Soojin likes to use the fact that Minnie is her boss to complain about how inappropriate it is. Minnie wonders how she will react the day she sees Soojin kissing the person she loves, even if it seems so far away in the future. Soojin isn’t really the type to do relationship Miyeon told her.

Minnie sighs when Miyeon closes the door. She has been feeling weird those past days, and a weird feeling spreads in her chest every time Miyeon leaves her.

« Your company is still alive if this is what you are wondering about. »

« How are Remy and you holding up? »

« We are capable enough. … Remy is doing an amazing work. I understand no why his last boss wanting him to do business for him. He is always the smartest person in the room, and he can feel trap from miles away. »

Minnie appreciates Soojin’s honesty. One of the many reasons she wanted Soojin in her company, the woman is capable to admit when someone is better than her. And Soojin is right, when it comes to the pure business part, Remy is way better than her, Soojin has the tendency to let her heart and emotions guide her decisions. And while it works wonderfully when she words as an agent, it isn’t the same when she has to put on the shoes of co-CEO.

« And… How are you holding up? I know the meetings and having to take so many decisions in one day can be quite challenging. »

« … Honestly, I am doing okay. But I can’t wait for you to come back. »

Soojin grins making Minnie chuckle. Minnie leans her face in the palm of her hand as she observes how Soojin is choosing her next words. Surely, what she says will be a bit more personal, and Soojin feels the need to protect herself.

« … As crazy as it sounds, Jiwan’s movie is the only thing keeping me sane. They have started the rehearsals, and most of the actors are ready. As for the locations, we are almost done. We also need more budget but I don’t worry much about it as I have a meeting next week with investors, I know it will be a quick signature. »

« I heard you were often seen with a certain actress as well. You know the world travel fast in our industry. »

Soojin narrows her eyes at Minnie’s last words.

« As long as I don’t see the name of my company or of my employees in the papers, I am fine. »

« I am not stupid. »

« Not saying that you are, just warning you. »

« Funny. »

Soojin drinks form her cup, she pushes Shuhua’s name away from the conversation by asking question about the weddings. Minnie is happy to share some of her concerns with Soojin, the agent listens to her without interrupting and it is a great change from Miyeon who tries to pushes solution on Minnie’s lap when she only wants to wind out.

When Miyeon gets back, Minnie and Soojin are still deep in talks, and the woman pouts to her future wife that she isn’t helping her with her bags anymore. Soojin chuckles at the way Minnie immediately apologizes and even proposes to make the dinner. Miyeon smiles happily and takes Soojin with her in the living room.

« Well done. Already getting a hang of this marriage life, hum? »

« You know… I thought about what you said earlier. … You really grew up well. »

Soojin inhales.

« Ten years ago, you were only a baby in a foreign land, and now… Look at you saying wise things out of the blue. »

It is going to be a long night.

The two fiancées clearly need to cool down from all the wedding pressure and apparently Soojin has been chosen as their go to person to recharge. While it is heartwarming in a way, Soojin already has enough and shes excuses herself in the bathroom for a moment.

 

 


Hello, I am the author and I am back.

I am scared to check how many months it has been since I last updated... First of all, I want to say that I have many excuses as to why you shouldn't hold any grudge against my lack of updating. 1. University 2. Lack of inspiration 3. (G)I-dle's comeback 4. Work 5. I was working on three other stories.
I have to admit that writing something else always helps me to come back to unfinished work with more ideas or a better vision. For example, I was writing something else entirely different: "Hogwart: The Magical Tournament", and it greatly helped me to go back to this story. (Now I do lack inspiration for the Hogwarts fic, but this is another problem.)
BREF. Thank you to all of you for leaving comments, upvoting the fics, or simply reading it. I really enjoy sharing it with you, and I think it is cool to be part of someone's entertainment in such a format. Writing is something I have done for a long time, and I am happy to still have so much pleasure in doing it.

Thank you! Bye! Maybe soon! Hopefully! Whatever have a nice day!