Chapter [3]

Call My Agent

 

« Are you digging through the archives? »

 

« Take those boxes. »

 

Soojin continues to walk to the meeting room, her heels hard on the floor of the office while she carries two boxes of files. She roughly drops them down on the large table, James behind her. She tells him to put the boxes on the table.

 

« What is it for? »

 

« Close the door on your way out. »

 

Soojin immediately starts to unbox the files, creating piles according to a process only she is aware of. Her eyes are sharp, she reads so many scripts, books, and diverse papers with her job that it only takes her a few seconds to catch the important words.

 

The meeting room is only made of glass walls, just like every other office, and is situated at the center of the floor. Everyone can see her working in the meeting room, except the front desk which is separated from the other part of the floor by a real wall, keeping the intimacy, and discretion of the office away from the newcomers. Only a few offices can be seen from the front desk, but not the meeting room.

 

« Is it weird that it turns me on when she bosses me around? »

 

Remy looks at James with a long look before breaking into a laugh. The young man has always been flustered by Soojin. Remy thinks his crush on the woman is funny because there is not a single chance in the world that Soojin would even just look at him.

 

James is a handsome man. But Soojin…

 

« What is weird is you making your talent wait at the front desk because you are too busy checking out your coworker. »

James excuses himself, almost running to the front desk to greet his actress. Remy laughs again, if it is James, he will always find a way to make fun of him. The man is just too nice, too soft, too naive. The only reason he made it this far, is because of his pretty face, and his charming words. Obviously, he loves cinema too and has a sense for talent. But he isn’t Soojin.

 

No one is like Soojin.

 

« , , . »

 

Soojin leans on the table now covered with pictures of actresses. They are all in their twenties, with white skin, big eyes, and an innocent look on their face. The ones who didn’t make the first cut are already back in the boxes.

 

Soojin grabs the first file in front of her and starts to go deeply through it. She analyzes the experience, the availability, the future, and current projects. She puts different post-it colors on each file. Again, a system only she has the key to.

 

« … Hum. »

 

After two hours, she has three different piles of profiles. She calls Yong to help her get the boxes back to their archives and takes the three piles of profiles to her office. Again, she goes through them, this time contacting each of the talents for casting.

 

The casting won’t be difficult, Park Jiwan is searching for a visual. While her first movie brings attention to the scenario, the second one is all about visual psychology. She needs an actress with whom she can play visually, someone who doesn’t have an identity too strong but with an aura, a face that grabs your attention.

 


 

« Next one. »

 

Soojin scribbles a few notes in her notebook. Park Jiwan, next to her drinks her glass of water slowly. Her focused eyes turn to Soojin. With her cherry lips, her sharp eyes, and the elegant way she runs her hand through her hair, she is something to look at.

 

« We are taking a break. »

 

« Great, I can’t feel my legs anymore. »

 

Soojin wants to stand up, she has been sitting in front of the table looking at actresses doing screen tests for almost two hours, and her body hurts. Unfortunately, Jiwan doesn’t give her this luxury, she grabs Soojin’s wrist and makes her sit back down.

 

« Everything you do. There is a fire inside which animates it. »

 

Soojin squints her eyes, it creates small wrinkles at the corner.

 

« All the actresses you showed me, their fire is small. I want a big fire, like yours. »

 

« I am not an actress. »

 

Jiwan chuckles, the screenwriter in her early forty finds the agent very much adorable. She was seduced by Soojin the moment she walked into the restaurant, at this instant she already knew she would trust the woman with her movie.

 

There is something very captivating about the woman, in everything that she does. It isn’t just in her eyes, it is in her voice, in the way she moves her hands, in the way she walks. She is someone you want to look at.

 

« I want you to understand what I am looking for. Hum? I trust you. »

 

Soojin smiles professionally, the amount of time people had told her they trust her is getting out of hand these days. She frees her wrist and starts to walk into the room. If she stays too long seated, her legs go numb, and she needs movement, and this is maybe why she likes her job so much. She is always running around Seoul.

 

« We only have five more actresses to go through. »

 

Soojin knows, she kept two of her best-fitting actresses for the end. She hopes they will impress Jiwan, just the way the director wants. She only gave quick indications to the candidates, because she doesn’t want to bias the casting too much.

 

« I am ready. Please send the next one, Yong. »

 

Soojin sits back next to Jiwan, her eyes on the name of the next profile. Yeh Shuhua.

 

The woman enters, wearing a baggy black shirt and loosely fitting pants. Soojin believes she looks charming dressing so casually. Shuhua is known for her long jet black hair she refuses to cut, her big dark eyes, and her white skin.

 

If she wasn’t a foreigner, Soojin would have already made her sign to be her talent. But Soojin has her own policy, she represents Korean cinema with Korean actresses. And Shuhua isn’t Korean. The agent has always refused to sign anyone not fitting her conditions. Instead, she gives them the card of one of her coworkers.

 

« Hello. I am Park Jiwan, screenwriter and director. Here is Seo Soojin, agent and co-producer. Can you introduce yourself? Name, age, profession, and tell us about something you like. »

 

Soojin looks Shuhua right in the eyes, while Jiwan checks her through the camera from time to time.

 

« My name is Yeh Shuhua. I am twenty-three. I am an actress under NYA. »

 

Jiwan nods, Soojin catches from the corner of her eyes, the screenwriter’s smile. She doesn’t say anything, she just looks at Shuhua, who also looks at her unbothered, if not a little angry. It is only the consequences of their interactions that never seem to end peacefully.

 

« I like discovering new snacks. I like food in general, but I am not a great cook, so I settle for snacks. Snacks are easy to cook for someone like me. »

 

Soojin can’t keep it serious, she chuckles. She tries to be discreet, but the more she thinks about it, the funnier it gets and she soon explodes in a full laugh. Jiwan turns to look at her, an eyebrow raised at such behavior from the agent.

 

« I am sorry. I just… »

 

« What is your problem with me this time? »

 

« Snacking really? I mean- »

 

Soojin doesn’t finish her sentence, another laugh takes her. She looks at Shuhua who has her hands on her hips now, and who walks toward her with an annoyed frown. Jiwan watches as Shuhua gets closer to the agent.

 

« Are you even a good cook to be making fun of me? I would love to see you. »

 

« I am a good cook. »

 

« Prove it. »

 

« I don’t have anything to prove to you, kid. »

 

« I am not a kid. »

 

« Stop wearing those high school uniforms then. »

 

« That is what I am trying to do, but you are ruining my chance to get cast. »

 

Soojin suddenly turns toward Jiwan. The director is looking at both of them, expression neutral, and Soojin is on the verge of apologizing when the woman breaks into a smile.

 

« I have an idea. »

 

Soojin grimaces already.

 


 

« She slapped you? »

 

Soojin raises the pocket of ice on her cheekbone to show Remy. The man looks closely, before pushing the ice pocket back on Soojin’s bruise.

 

« Park Jiwan wanted… God, what kind of crazy do you need to be to do everything a director tells you! »

 

Soojin winces from the pain, even talking hurts. She is half sitting half laying on Remy’s couch. She makes a catching gesture and puppy eyes for Remy to give her the glass of water situated on the small table right in front of her.

 

In Remy’s living room, a movie is playing on the TV, but neither of the agents is paying attention, too busy discussing Soojin’s day. Precisely, Shuhua’s audition.

 

Jiwan had the splendid idea of making Soojin and Shuhua play together. She said the dynamic between the two was quite original, and it was bringing out a side of Shuhua she wanted to explore. She only gave them a topic and told them to act around it.

 

Soojin didn’t do much, she let Shuhua start and threw her usual cold sentences at the actress. But Jiwan pushed them a little further, eventually, the fake banter between the two turned real, and Shuhua slapped Soojin. Well…

 

Soojin did dare Shuhua to do so.

 

In any case, Jiwan seemed to have loved it. Even while the four other actresses were auditioning, she kept talking about Shuhua to Soojin. The agent was livid, and the debriefing of the casting happened in such a cold atmosphere, that Jiwan had to put on her jacket.

 

In the end, three talents had been selected, Yeh Shuhua, Jung Yiseo, and Lee Eungae. Soojin tried her best to push her actresses into the final selection, but Jiwan seemed to have seen something in Shuhua.

 

« What if Shuhua is her final choice? »

 

« I will refuse. »

 

« Come on, Soojin. You can’t refuse her choice. She is the screenwriter and the director. »

 

Soojin scrunches her nose in a really childish way to show her disapproval of the situation.

 

« It can’t be Shuhua. »

 

« Shuhua is a good actress and you know it. She has the potential and enough experience for this role. I watched her work from when she was in Taiwan, and she was already standing out. Minnie knew what she was doing when she let Yuqi sign an actress unknown to the Korean public. »

 

« I thought Yuqi was already Shuhua’s agent back in Taiwan. »

 

« Shuhua had a different agent, but he wasn’t seeing big enough for her. »

 

« How did Yuqi and her meet then? »

 

« Through me. »

 

Soojin sits back up, eyebrows frowning. Remy is very proud of himself, his long dimple showing on his left cheek.

 

« In my first years as an agent, I joined my boss at an event in Taiwan. One of his actresses had gotten pretty popular there, and she was doing the promotion of her movie. At a party, I happened to run into Yuqi. »

 

« You don’t even speak Chi- »

 

« I actually do. »

 

« You never told me! How could you not tell me such a thing! »

 

Soojin hits Remy’s shoulder, but it only makes the man laugh.

 

« Yuqi wasn’t an agent yet, she was an assistant for a producer I think? Well, we hit it off pretty well. You know how Yuqi is. »

 

Soojin nods, very slowly. She doesn’t have much of an opinion on Yuqi’s personality. If it is about work, then she knows Yuqi is hardworking, strong, and smart. But when it comes to her personality, Soojin has to admit she never took the time to talk about something else than work with the woman.

 

« Anyway, Yuqi and I stayed in contact. She expressed many times her wish to become an agent, and I helped her. Through my boss, I had access to a large network, and I pulled some strings for her. »

 

Soojin nods. She can’t believe she never knew about it. Yuqi and Remy have always maintained a professional relationship in front of her. It was surprising to learn they have known each other for years now.

 

« What about Shuhua? »

 

« I met her while on vacation in Taiwan. »

 

« Ever since we met, you haven’t mentioned Taiwan a single time. Now, I learn you used to spend all your time there. »

 

« It wasn’t a great moment for me, Soojin. I always loved cinema, you know that. But my boss was using me as a translator for his business in Taiwan and China. I was not an agent, and I was spending more time on business papers than on scripts. There was a time, I was even doing business meetings for my boss in Taiwan. »

 

Remy frowns while remembering the bitter memories. His boss kept telling him he would soon have his own talents, and it was just a temporary situation. Remy only ever got close to being an agent during his last months at his former company.

 

Minnie’s offer was like holy bread for him.

 

As excited as he was, he took the time to set proper boundaries for his tasks as an agent while negotiating his contract with Minnie. The young CEO had heard of Remy, he could talk three languages, had built a big network over three different countries and was hungry for cinema. Even if he did not have much experience as an agent, he had an understanding of the industry in different countries and his knowledge was valuable in Minnie’s eyes.

 

« Anyway, during those vacations, I came across the filming of a drama and I met Shuhua at a café nearby. She was pissed about something and she accidentally spilled her drink on me. »

 

« God… It sounds like a romantic comedy. »

 

Remy chuckles at Soojin’s dramatic sigh. The woman rolls her eyes, before telling Remy to continue his story.

 

« Since I wasn’t in a rush, I offered her to pay for another one. »

 

« She was the one who spilled her drink on you! »

 

« I know. But… I just thought maybe it would make her feel less angry. I paid, and then she decided to thank me by showing me around the set of her drama. »

 

« God. »

 

« We talked while walking around the set. At this time, she was still a teenager, maybe seventeen? Well, she already had this big dream of becoming a true actress. I could see her passion in her eyes when she was talking about it. »

 

Remy looks longly at Soojin who lazily looks back at him. The woman eventually realizes the insistent stare, and she raises an eyebrow, like a silent question for Remy.

 

« At this instant, she had the same burning passion as you often have. »

 

Soojin blushes. Remy’s voice is so soft, so sincere, and honest.

 

« Her gaze… She was only a teenager, but it was obvious. I wanted to sign her as my talent, but my boss refused firmly. Plus, she wasn’t speaking Korean yet, and she had only shot one drama where she wasn’t the lead. »

 

« I understand your boss, it is a big investment. »

 

« You sound like Minnie. »

 

« Don’t insult me. »

 

« I will tell Minnie. Anyway, I told Shuhua to take Korean lessons and to keep acting. I promised I would help her make her dream come true. »

 

« She must have thought you were crazy. »

 

« When I joined NYA, I was too inexperienced to sign her. Minnie helped me get my first talents, and she even gave me some of her big names when she saw I was competent enough. »

 

« If you are competent enough for Gong Yoo then why haven’t you signed Shuhua? It isn’t like she is a big name. »

 

« Yuqi had a solid career as an agent in Taiwan for someone so young. Minnie and I thought she would be a better fit for Shuhua’s career in Korea. Yuqi is capable to take a talent to the main stage, and Shuhua is her occasion to prove it. »

 

Soojin sighs, well Shuhua isn’t the only one with a dream.

 


 

« Soojin, where are we with the casting of the next Park Jiwan? »

 

Everyone in Minnie’s office is looking at Soojin. The woman is in charge of the next big project of NYA, and at the center of most discussions around the office. Yuqi looks expectantly at Soojin from the sofa, as her actress told her how the audition went, and she believes Shuhua has all her chances.

 

« We have it narrowed down to three candidates. Jung Yiseo, Lee Eungae, and Yeh Shuhua. Park Jiwan said she will contact me in the week for the next part of the audition. »

 

« You were present during the casting. How was it? Do you think she has someone in mind already? Yuqi told me, Shu- »

 

Remy feels the tension rising. It isn’t going to be a good day.

 

«As I said, she will be holding another audition in the following week. »

 

« I heard you. I just think we should be pushing one of the candidates more if Park Jiwan is already decided. No need to lose time doing multiple auditions. All the actresses are under NYA anyway. »

 

Remy gives a side look at Soojin on his left, the woman is glaring at Minnie. If the CEO says one more thing, Remy knows Soojin will explode. It wouldn’t be the first time nor the last time, but it is always better to avoid it.

 

« I think the casting part should be carefully thought of. »

 

« Shuhua said you helped her during her audition. »

 

Soojin turns in Yuqi’s direction. Remy sees how Minnie raises an eyebrow at the news. Finally, Minnie takes a seat and seems to suddenly go deep in thoughts.

 

« Soojin, Remy, Yuqi, you stay. The others you can go. »

 

Minnie knows the conversation she will be having will end up with Soojin storming out of her office, but this conversation is needed. She can see in the little game her agent is playing, but exposing Soojin isn’t the good way to go, she needs to be smarter than the woman.

 

Soojin has a lot of pride, but Soojin has two weaknesses. Her loyalty, and her love for cinema. Minnie plans to use the two against her, for the talk they are going to have.

 

« Yuqi, what did Shuhua tell you about her audition? »

 

« She was a bit confused. Park Jiwan asked her to act out a scene with Soojin it went a little out of hand and she … slapped Soojin. But Park Jiwan seemed satisfied and shook her hand for a long moment on her way out. »

 

« Soojin. Do you confirm? »

 

« Shuhua did hit me. I have a bruise here, but I don’t plan to press any charge. »

 

Remy wants to laugh, but he tries hard to keep it inside. Soojin next to him looks very serious, her eyes glaring at Minnie with the anger of not having it her way.

 

« Shuhua… There is a reason I let Yuqi sign her. She has the potential to become a great actress, and this movie might just be her chance. »

 

« Good for her. »

 

« Soojin, I want you to promise me something. Park Jiwan will hold the next audition, if her choice is Shuhua, you will accept it. Understood? »

 

« Fine. »

 

Soojin stands up, ready to walk out of Minnie’s office. Remy is amazed Minnie managed to finish this meeting nicely.

 

« Yuqi will be present during the audition. »

 

« WHAT! »

 

Remy sighs, obviously he thought too fast.

 

« If you can’t accept it, I will join too. »

 

Soojin walks right back into the office, half her body leaning over Minnie’s office while she starts to argue with the CEO. Yuqi on the sofa tries to be as discreet as possible, she isn’t scared of Soojin, she just has always tried to stay on the good side of the agent, and right now Minnie is making it very difficult for her.

 

« You know how much it matters to me, you can’t do that to me! »

 

« This movie doesn’t only serve your interest but the company’s as well. »

 

« Your obsession with finances is what is stopping me from pushing the impact of cinema further! »

 

« You need money to finance the cinema! Risking it all isn’t the way to create a valuable heritage for cinema! »

 

« Soojin, please- »

 

Remy tries to calm down his friend, but Soojin pushes him away. She turns to Yuqi and points her finger to Remy and then in Yuqi’s direction.

 

« You shut up! Go talk with your friend! »

 

« Soojin! »

 

« This movie will push Korean cinema to the front of the international scene, you just refuse to let me do what it takes! »

 

« You refuse to see the obvious! »

 

« Shuhua isn’t Korean! This is Korean cinema! »

 


 

« You aren’t eating your food. »

 

« Your wife pissed me off. »

 

Miyeon blushed at the allusion to her future wife. The idea of marrying Minnie always makes her heart beat a bit faster.

 

« We aren’t married yet. »

 

« Same. »

 

« What happened? Minnie only told me to come and grab lunch with you. »

 

Soojin pushes her food around from the tips of her chopsticks. Her noodles are soaked in the sauce now, and the dish doesn’t look appealing after being neglected for so long.

 

Miyeon puts a warm hand on Soojin’s, the usual gesture would have usually earned her a comment from Soojin, but the agent doesn’t say anything.

 

« I only want to do a good job. … I want to make them proud. »

 

« I know, my little Jin. »

 

Miyeon caresses Soojin’s hand, she sees how the woman keeps her head low. Soojin looks at her with teary eyes, and Miyeon can’t help but bring the woman in a hug. Soojin doesn’t cry but she hugs Miyeon as hard as Miyeon hugs her.

 

« You will make them proud. »

 

Miyeon is Soojin's closest thing to a family, the woman has somehow always been here for her. They met during Soojin’s first year in Korea and immediately hit it off. Their relationship usually tends to be light-hearted, with a lot of teasing on Soojin’s part. But Miyeon always looks after her and cares for her from afar, she knows Soojin needs to be independent.

 

But sometimes, Soojin also needs to rest her worries on a shoulder. Remy might be a close friend of hers, but Miyeon is as close as a family for the woman.

 


 

« Soojin, come and take a seat. »

 

« This is my office, get out. »

 

« Soojin. »

 

« Get out, please. »

 

Minnie sighs, Soojin sits down at her desk and starts to turn on her computer. She goes through her pile of mail, and through the daily pile of scripts, Yong already organized for her. She doesn’t pay any attention to Minnie who is standing right in front of her desk.

 

« I thought it would be a good idea to give you a few days to think about the last meeting. But now, we need to talk. »

 

« There is nothing to talk about. Yuqi will join me during the audition as you want, and I will respect Jiwan’s decision. Now. Out. »

 

« Soojin, this is not what I want to talk about. »

 

« What is it then? »

 

« Shuhua. »

 

Soojin freezes, she finally looks up from the letter she was reading and faces Minnie. The CEO takes a seat in front of Soojin, she claps her hands together and takes a big breath before proceeding. This time, she knows having Soojin storming off will not be a good thing.

 

Sometimes it helps to have Soojin react strongly, and sometimes it is counterproductive. Minnie learned to read the situations accordingly.

 

« You can’t be against Shuhua being cast just because she isn’t Korean. »

 

« Hum… »

 

« I understand your values. But I want you to look at the situation differently. »

 

« I bet you have an example perfectly crafted for this situation. »

 

Soojin leans against her chair, ready to hear Minnie’s story.

 

« Do you know the actress Romy Schneider? »

 

« Are you trying to insult me? »

 

« Well, she was German. She started her career in Germany and became hugely popular there with her role as Sissi. Unfortunately, what she was searching for in the cinema wasn’t given to her in Germany, and she continued her career in France. This is where she blossomed as an actress. All she ever wanted was to live her passion for cinema. »

 

« Thank you for the biography. I have one of hers just right here. »

 

Soojin points to one of the books in the library behind her. Minnie nods and claps her hands together once again.

 

« My point is that she contributed immensely to the French cinema. She was recognized as a French actress and not as a foreign actress acting in French movies. »

 

« Shuhua isn’t Romy Schneider. This is almost insulting to her legacy. »

 

« Soojin. Please, think about it. »

 

Minnie stands up and leaves Soojin’s office after giving a long look at her agent.

 

 


I think Soojin being so unreasonable at times is really fun to write. Since she is the main character, we don't see much of the other girls. Soyeon will be introduced later on, maybe in two chapters? Spoiler: she isn't an actress.

It is the 40th anniversary of Romy Schneider's death. There are so many documentaries about it these days, so this is why she is mentioned. Also, her story is actually true.