Chapter [14]

Call My Agent

« It is nice. »

 

Soojin isn’t looking at the picture Remy is showing her on his phone. She walks over the balcony of his apartment and stands there; in the fading of the daylight, everything is more beautiful. The buildings are stacked in front of each other, and forms a group of constructions blocking the view. Through small slits, the light passes and multiple ray light are glowing in her eyes.

 

« You aren’t looking. »

 

Soojin isn’t listening either. The paintings made by nature and men together always captivated her more. Everything beautiful, Soojin searches for those things around her.

 

The golden hour covers her face with a veil of light, the brown of her eyes turns golden too. Remy looks. He feels his heart hurting in his chest. This painting is only projecting the real way he pictures her in his head. Someone so exceptional no one could ever come close to. Especially not him.

 

« The world is a wonder. »

 

Remy doesn’t respond.

 

« I have been thinking those last days. I feel like things are moving in another direction. »

 

The CEO position could be one of the examples. There is also Soojin new role as a producer for a movie, and the new synergy at the office between the four agents. Now that Minnie manged to gently pass down all of her talents, she is less present and Soojin and Remy can already feel the weight of their soon to be responsibilities on their shoulders.

 

Soojin spends most of her days extremely busy. Here and there she allows herself a moment to breath, a few hours for her mind to take a rest. She worries a lot, because she wants things to be done, and to be done correctly. Her mind constantly works, it is only on those moments when her eyes caught something impossible to look away from that she stops thinking for a few instant.

 

« I am glad you are with me. »

 

Remy looks more intensely at her. Her tone is light, of any lingering emotions.

 

After all the crying she did those past days, Soojin doesn’t have much left in her for an emotional eye opening conversation. Still, she worries about Remy, and she wants him to know how she feels about them.

 

« You are a dear friend to me. I hope… that you know that. »

 

Remy sighs, his lips curl in a smile, and he lets out a quiet chuckle. Soojin would never say those things without intentions, obviously she noticed he might be needing the boost.

 


 

« I thought you were busy. You told me you wouldn’t come because you were busy but Yuqi just told me you were out with a friend. … I- … … Yes, I understand. I just would have liked for you to be here too. … Yuqi is stuck talking with Soyeon and I am all alone. … Why do you laugh of my desperate situation? I thought you were on my side. … … Can we see each other soon? There is a nice coffee shop near my apartment. … Obviously it isn’t for work! It is… it is… just to see you. … … Okay, okay, I will send you the address right after our call! … Oh…. Okay, well see you tomorrow then. … Bye. »

 

« You never leave her alone. »

 

Shuhua frowns at the words.

 

« You always leave me alone for Soyeon. At least, Soojin stays with me. »

 

Yuqi feels a blush pulsing on her cheeks. Shuhua isn’t wrong; every time she joins her on the set of the drama, she spends most of her time at Soyeon’s side and it doesn’t look like she is the woman’s agent. In her defense, it is always Soyeon who come to her before she manages to get to Shuhua.

 

« I overheard some of your phone call. Are you and Soojin hanging out together? »

 

« Yes, we are. »

 

« Since when? »

 

Shuhua takes a long sip of her iced coffee, giving her the opportunity to think about her answer as Yuqi seems very much interested in it.

 

« Why does it matter? »

 

« Not so long ago, you two were reluctant to just be associated. »

 

« Time changes. »

 

« If you say so. »

 

Shuhua’s gaze hold a mix of different emotions, but she stays quiet.

 


 

« Thank you for your hard work. Have a good night. »

 

« Shuhua! Wait for me! »

 

Shuhua turns around, not surprised that Jules, one of the extra is running toward her while scrambling to hold all of his stuff under his arm. Shuhua waits for him, amused by the sight of the man.

 

« God! You always disappear so fast once you are done shooting. »

 

« I am busy these days. Can I do something for you? »

 

« Yes! Absolutely, you can share a coffee with me. I would love if you could. »

 

« It is a bit late for a coffee. »

 

« Then a drink. »

 

« I don’t drink. »

 

« Not even lemonade? »

 

Shuhua observes Jules for a second, his adorable face is hard to resist. He pleads his cause appealing to Shuhua’s sensitive cord.

 

« Okay. Wait for me outside, I have to get changed first. »

 

« Wonderful! »

 

Shuhua sighs with amusement before taking the way to her caravan. It takes her only a few minutes to get changed in her clothes, but she doesn’t come out before another fifteen minutes, busy sending texts to Soojin. Except Soojin only reads them without responding which paints a pout on Shuhua’s lips.

 

Still, Shuhua goes out with Jules in one of the trendy bar Jules knows well. The man is a good company in Shuhua’s opinion as he makes her laugh a lot, and also shows genuine interest to her any time she opens . Shuhua doesn’t realize there is a world around her, the fatigue of the shooting, and the night falling on them provide a perfect mixture for her to let down her guards.

 

« Come here, I can’t hear you.»

 

Jules has a smile which almost feel too nice to be trusted. He holds Shuhua by the arm, bringing her closer to his face. Shuhua still maintains a distance between them as she continues to speak. The night doesn’t stretch for them, and Shuhua is soon to be on her way home, not allowing more than an hour of her time to Jules.

 

Soojin not responding to her texts is bothering her, and despite the good company Jules can be, she can’t shake it out of her mind.

 


 

« Shuhua! Answer the door! Shuhua! »

 

« You don’t need to yell like that. I have the code. »

 

Soojin pushes the right numbers into the door before answering the familiar unlock melody. Yuqi runs inside, crashing the door opened against the wall, and immediately finding her way to Shuhua’s room.

 

Soojin follows a second later, taking the time to close the door behind her. Inside, Shuhua is hidden under the covers.

 

« Leave me alone. »

 

« NO! You are in big troubles! »

 

« Stop yelling! »

 

« Yuqi, she is right. Stop yelling. »

 

Shuhua peaks outside her covers when she hears Soojin’s voice. The agent is, as often when handling big situations with her talents, emotionless. There is no need to make Shuhua feels worse about it, so she prefers to stay quiet. In the other end, Yuqi chose a different option.

 

« I saw your texts. I didn’t want to look at the pictures. »

 

« God dammit! Are you a rookie? »

 

« Yuqi. »

 

Yuqi immediately freezes at the tone Soojin used. It is one she hasn’t heard directed at her in a long time, and it puts her back in her place. Shuhua watches as her agent takes a step backward; Soojin’s presence is suddenly heavier.

 

« Go take a shower. I will make us breakfast. Yuqi, come. »

 

It feels almost too natural for Shuhua and Yuqi to obey Soojin’s words. The agent follows Soojin in the kitchen, leaving Shuhua alone. Naturally, Soojin starts to look around for ingredients, even if she is a great cook she can’t do miracle so she tasks Yuqi with a list of ingredient.

 

While the woman is busy shopping, Soojin starts preparing her ingredients, and cleaning up the room. Shuhua is quite a tidy person but with her busy schedule, she did not have the time to look properly after her place.

 

« Hello. »

 

« Hi. »

 

It is shyly that Shuhua makes her way inside the opened kitchen. Soojin is busy searching for soy sauce, and it surprises Shuhua when she is greeted with a sweet smile from the agent. She knows she is in big trouble even if it isn’t her fault. Soojin warned her, but it left her mind. In her head, she isn’t famous Shuhua who is appearing in one of the trendiest drama of the moment. She is just Shuhua who is passionate about her job.

 

« I made us something to eat. After, we will talk about the issue. »

 

« I didn’t- »

 

« Eating first. »

 

Yuqi comes back with the ingredients Soojin asked her to buy. She doesn’t make any comment toward Shuhua, only shoots her angry glares. When Soojin finally serves the breakfast, Shuhua is stunned to hear a high pitched squeal coming from Yuqi’s mouth. The agent does no longer look pissed, a child like smile illuminates her face.

 

« Yes! I- »

 

« Just eat already. »

 

« Yes! Yes! »

 

Soojin looks at Shuhua, she shakes her head and gives the actress a sweet smile.

 

Yuqi doesn’t catch any of the interaction, too busy enjoying Soojin’s cooking. The woman has been trying to get Soojin to cook something for her ever since she tasted her seaweed soup at a company gathering. It is delicious.

 

« Eat, Shuhua. »

 

Yuqi turns and sees that Shuhua hasn’t even eaten from her dishes yet.

 

« Eat. You don’t know when you will have another opportunity. »

 

« I have food in my house. »

 

« Just eat and then you can argue. »

 

Shuhua rolls her eyes, but still takes her chopsticks and puts a piece of the meat in .

 

Maybe Yuqi wasn’t exaggerating. She finds herself finishing the dish in only a few minutes and even asking for a refill, which Soojin gladly gives her. It is with a well fed belly and a new found admiration for her half-agent that Shuhua faces her delicate situation.

 

« Well. There is a good news and a bad news to this situation. The good news is that you aren’t very well known yet, so it might just skip under everyone’s radar. The bad news is that curious people will start to dig around. »

 

« Dig around? »

 

Shuhua throws a worried look to Soojin but it is Yuqi who explains.

 

« They will try to know more about you. »

 

« Listen, NYA’s PR team will handle it. Yuqi, Miyeon and I will work on it this morning. We will release a statement- »

 

Soojin suddenly stops herself mid-sentence, panicking both women in front of her.

 

« Are you dating this guy? »

 

« What! »

 

Soojin raises an eyebrow, unbothered by the clear distress on Shuhua’s face.

 

« The situation is different if you two are dating. »

 

« Dating? A guy? »

 

« No, Shuhua isn’t dating this guy. Nor anyone else. »

 

Soojin nods at Yuqi’s words. She bits her cherry lips for a moment as she contemplates a thought only known by her before focusing back on the situation at hand.

 

« Well, in this case we will release a statement about the clear misunderstanding of the situation. Nothing else. You won’t comment on it further more. »

 

Shuhua nods to everything Soojin is saying. The commanding aspect of the woman reassures her, and her problem suddenly doesn’t feel so bad. It is only a few pictures of her with a guy at a bar, it seems as they are kissing because of the angle. It is almost nothing, but not in Korea. Here, everything can be blown out of proportions.

 

« You will have a talk with Miyeon too. »

 

« Why? »

 

« You need a PR briefing. You are soon to enter the big league. You need to be prepared. »

 


 

« Wow. Someone needs to relax, here. Can you leave us alone, Yong? »

 

Remy closes the door behind Yong. He takes Soojin by the end and leads her to the couch of her office to be more comfortable.

 

Soojin has been on edge ever since the beginning of the week, making the whole office walk on thin ice with her. Still, Remy had hoped for the situation to get better over time but it seems as it isn’t the case.

 

« Talk to me. What’s wrong? »

 

« Everything. »

 

« Okay. Can you give examples? »

 

« … »

 

« Okay. Let’s have a drink. »

 

Soojin only nods, and follows Remy to the elevator. They take a taxi to another district so they don’t feel like they are too close to their work place, and sit down at the bar. Remy doesn’t make a comment when Soojin immediately orders strong alcohol.

 

It takes the woman a couple of glass before she feels lose enough to open up.

 

« I had to deal with Dispatch dumb article about Shuhua dating, and as if it wasn’t enough, the guy in question acted like Shuhua and him were an item. »

 

Remy sees how Soojin exhales strongly by the nose.

 

« What did you do about him? »

 

« Nothing. »

 

« Really? »

 

« He won’t be causing Shuhua any problem. »

 

Jules has been fired from the production of the drama and blacklisted from the industry as a whole. If there is one thing that defines Soojin, it is that she will never stop to protect her talents. You don’t have a second chance, and she will make sure of it.

 

« Is the problem what happened to one of your actresses or what happened to Shuhua? »

 

« It is the same. Women aren’t prizes. »

 

Soojin recalls very clearly the smug smile on Jules’ face when she asked him to deny the rumors on his end. The way he tried to make it looks like something more than what was shown on the pictures happened between him and Shuhua. The thought of it made Soojin’s skin crawl.

 

« Is Shuhua okay? »

 

« Yes. Just tired and a bit stressed. I told Miyeon t o give her some PR bases. »

 

« Doesn’t Miyeon have enough thing to do with her wedding? Jihoo usually gives those. »

 

Soojin shrugs and orders another drink. At that moment, she only thought about protecting Shuhua in the future, and Miyeon always protected her when she was younger. The thought process was very logical in her head.

 

« Is there anything else bothering you? You were really worked up all week long. »

 

« Hum… Has Shuhua ever dated anyone? »

 

« I am not sure I am the best person to ask. »

 

Remy frowns, he doesn’t want to upset Soojin, but the question is strange.

 

« Before taking any decision, I asked her if she was dating this guy. I mean, maybe she got caught with her boyfriend and then we would have to treat it differently, it wouldn’t have been the same problem. But… She was so stunned Yuqi answered for her. I don’t know, it kept replaying in my mind. »

 

« Oh… Well, Shuhua is still young. Even if she is really friendly, maybe she has never experienced dating someone, so she was stunned by your question. But, I think the best answer is to ask her directly. »

 

« You are right… She is very friendly. »

 


 

« Your place is always so immaculate. It surprises me every time. »

 

« Hum. »

 

Soojin continues to cut her ingredients for her kimchi stew, not really giving Miyeon any attention. The woman takes the opportunity to have a look around the place. The living room is empty except for the painting chose by Miyeon herself, and some furnitures. She continues to the only room of the apartment; there books are filling up the walls with a bed in the middle. The real treasure is in Soojin’s closet where she keeps more than her clothes. Inside, there is a section only for the objects, gifts, and other stuffs she values.

 

Only Miyeon knows of it. She looks around, searching for an item in particular. It is a map of Soojin’s life Miyeon made using her skills and relationships as a publicist. It has been professionally made and traces the chronology of every event which made Soojin what she is today. Miyeon gifted her to her friend for her birthday, and when Soojin opened it behind close doors, she was so deeply touched she wrote a letter to Miyeon.

 

« What are you doing in my closet? »

 

« I was searching for that. »

 

« Oh. What for? »

 

« I think I want to make one for Minnie. It would go over our relationship until our marriage. »

 

Soojin chuckles, mimicking a grimace to express how sweet she thinks the idea is. Miyeon rolls her eyes as she goes back to the living room to spread out the timeline over the table. Soojin follows, and inspects it too.

 

« It is creepy how you know so much about my life. »

 

« Thank you. »

 

Miyeon catches how Soojin’s eyes linger on the picture of Soyeon and her.

 

« Did you talk with her? »

 

« Yes. Soyeon is very… understanding. »

 

« Is that a bad thing? »

 

« It is not what I am saying. I just… I thought she would hate me once I tell her the truth. »

 

« You seem disappointed it isn’t the case. »

 

« It just makes me ask myself more questions. If she would have decided to hate me, then I would be fixed. But instead, she is forgiving me, I feel like she is almost glad I chose cinema over her. It doesn’t make sense. »

 

« I think Soyeon respects that you didn’t give up on your dream for her. »

 

« I broke her heart. I even broke my own heart. It was the most difficult choice of my life. »

 

« Do you regret it? »

 

Soojin thinks a moment as she stir her stew. But the answer is obvious.

 

« No. Never, I would never. »

 

« Then I think this is why Soyeon can forgive you. If you would have chosen her, you would have missed on a big opportunity, and surely regretted it, maybe even becoming bitter over it. Soyeon would surely have felt terrible for putting you in this situation. Therefore, seeing you blooming in your current life could only indicate you did the right choice back then. »

 

Soojin has stopped stirring the pot. Her brain was working at full power putting everything together.

 

« Soyeon is a good person. She is an artist and for her as unpleasing as it was, it makes sense that you followed your passion. Maybe she would have even done the same. »

 

« Would you have done the same? »

 

« No. »

 

Soojin opens her eyes big at Miyeon’s answer, confusion shaking her pupils.

 

« Unlike Soyeon and you, I wouldn’t have the guts to chose something else than the person I love. »

 

« You will always chose Minnie? »

 

« I believe so. »

 

Miyeon looks up, a shiny smile illuminating her face. It is sincere.

 

Soojin bites her lips, and chooses to put her attention back on her stew even if there isn’t much to do then to let it cook. It worries her to think Miyeon found someone she loves so much there is nothing she would not do for her. And that she on the other hand, hasn’t been capable to love someone enough to keep them.

 

Soyeon is the only person Soojin loved that much. And yet, it wasn’t enough.

 

« Soojin. You and I aren’t the same person, and we don’t aspire to the same thing. You shouldn’t compare your choices and mine. »

 

« Okay. »

 

« I support you no matter what, Jinnie. You know that, right? »

 


 

« Soojin? »

 

« If you need a paper, you should ask Yong. »

 

« Oh… Right, well… I … »

 

Soojin looks up from her papers, she runs an aggressive hand through her hair to prevent them from falling before her eyes. James shivers, the man can’t shake off the strong power Soojin has over him.

 

« It’s… usually I ask Minnie, but she said to see with you from now on. »

 

« Come in, then. »

 

Soojin quickly cleans up her desk, and invites James to sit down. The man smiles the best to his ability; he isn’t sure how to act around Soojin seeing the terrible mood she was in last week, he prefers to be safe than sorry.

 

« What is it about? »

 

« I have this actress which I can’t seem to find any opportunity for. I was hoping you could help me narrow down the path I should take with her. »

 

« Won’t Remy be a better fit for this kind of problem? »

 

Soojin takes the profile James is handing out to her. Her eyes quickly scan her face, and the notes James wrote down as well as her filmography. She knows her, and saw her in a drama a while back but doesn’t recall seeing her in anything ever since. The problem is just that James isn’t creating opportunity for her.

 

« Make her try something new. Maybe horror? It works well those days. »

 

« You think so? »

 

« Hum… You know, you shouldn’t hesitate to make your talent go out of what they are used to. Diversity is good. Just make sure the quality follows too. »

 

« I see. »

 


 

« What are you waiting for? I thought you were gone already. »

 

« I am just waiting for Soojin. »

 

« She is here? »

 

« No. She is coming to get me. Why? »

 

Soyeon only sighs, she stands next to Shuhua, watching the horizon with the actress. Shuhua doesn’t mind the presence of the director.

 

« I never told you but it is always a pleasure to work with you on set. »

 

« Thank you. I like working with you too. »

 

« You don’t have to lie. »

 

« I like working with you. You always take care of everyone around the set. It is very nice of you. »

 

« What do you think of Soojin? »

 

Shuhua turns to look at Soyeon but the woman doesn’t spare her a glare.

 

« I think that she is a great agent. »

 

« Hum… »

 

« How did you know Soojin? »

 

« We went to uni together. A long time ago. »

 

« Really? Soojin never mentioned it. »

 

Soyeon chuckles, obviously, Soojin would never open up like this so easily. Yet, Soyeon has the feeling Shuhua isn’t just one of Soojin’s actresses. Soojin values her more than she would with any other talent.

 

« Has Soojin been your agent for a long time? »

 

« Not really. She isn’t really my agent, it is a bit complicated but it has been two years since I signed with NYA. »

 

« I see. I only heard good things about NYA. It seems to be a good company. »

 

« It is. All the agents really love what they do. »

 

« But Soojin loves it more than everyone else, doesn’t she? »

 

« … What makes you think that? »

 

« You wouldn’t be on the drama if it wasn’t the case. Any other agent would have chosen one of their talents, but she gave it to one of her colleagues without asking for anything else in return. Soojin sees beyond her personal gain. »

 

Shuhua only listens, it is interesting to hear about the agent through someone else. For once, she isn’t portrayed as a bad person because of her character.

 

« Soojin must like you a lot. »

 

« What makes you say that? »

 

« Despite her busy schedule, she comes to get you in person. And yet you are telling me she isn’t really your agent. »

 

« I just asked her. »

 

Soyeon smiles. Shuhua’s simplicity is something she admires. The woman is the same on set, when something isn’t to her liking, or she doesn’t understand why a choice is made, she simply asks. Soyeon believes she is right to do so, asking is more powerful than people would think.

 

« Well, say hi to Soojin for me. I will go now. See you tomorrow, Shuhua. »

 

Shuhua nods, she watches Soyeon walking back toward the set. Soon after a car pulls over, and the back door opens for Shuhua to get in. Soojin smiles sweetly when Shuhua starts talking with animation about her day.

 


Bonjour :): I am back! Thank you very much for waiting, hehe!

Hehe! What can I say, I needed a little break. Well, to be honest, my summer was so wild, I didn't have any chance to take a moment to write. Then uni started again, and I have been very busy ever since. Now... I can't say I have more time but I managed to squeeze some here and there to write!

I like to talk about the story a bit more in the notes... This time I can only say that I am following the red thread. Some scenes may not be super necessary to the plot, but I like to write human interactions so I just write them anyway. I mean it isn't that serious after all.

Ahah, anyway thank you for still keeping up despite my disastrous update schedule. Thank you for all the warm words, it is very nice and encouraging to read them! :):