Come to me

Pleasant Imagines, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A sumptuous middle-aged woman sat in front of her daughter while they had some afternoon tea in her office. Unlike the pleasant atmosphere, everything felt dull as if there were no colour to their lives.

"This is the fourth time this year, Yujin-ah." The said girl slumped into the couch. "And we're not even three months in."

"It's not my problem eomma. If they want to leave, then go ahead. I'm fine with it." Yujin crossed her legs. "Everyone leaves anyway."

As if work wasn't enough, her own mother had to pester her about certain issues.

The lady glanced at the pile of work left unsettled on the desk, looking at her child. "I'll just find you another secretary." she stood up.

"No," Yujin said. "I don't need one." she walked towards her desk, plopping into her swivel chair with plain thoughts running through her mind.

The mother wondered what happened to her once virtuous and happy child who always had everything she wanted. It all went downhill the moment Yujin got the CEO position passed over to her.

"You'll need one to organise your schedule. We have many important meetings coming up."

Yujin blew out a soft breath. "I'm fine by myself eomma. How many times do I have to tell you this?" she spoke carelessly, disregarding respect for her mother who just wants the best for her.

"Appa already told you I'll handle things myself. I can do it," she added, clicking a few things on her huge iMac.

Her mother sighed, shaking her head before leaving her office.

Yujin ran her hand down her face in displeasure, inhaling as she stared at her emails. It was brimmed with clients asking for her to get back to them.

She internally scourged the hell out of everything, progressing to settle heaps of emails.

 



 

A girl paces into a meeting room, sitting down on the swivel chair as she waited for the arrival of this company's chairperson.

The moment she heard the door click, she stood up, quickly adjusting her shirt before bowing to the lady who just entered.

"Sit down, sit down. No need for greetings. This is all casual." The woman chuckled wholeheartedly, sitting opposite the girl who looked as if she were in her 20s. But she was captivating. A face that could brighten up the dull atmosphere around here.

"So, you're up for the position?" That earned her a firm but hesitant nod.

"I'll do anything." The lady smiled.

"Have you read through what I wrote to you? She's not an easy one to handle." The girl nodded once again. "I just need you to sort things out for her. She's been hectic lately, mood swings perhaps." The woman sighed.

She then looked at the girl with a relaxed but worried gaze. "Try not to leave after a week," she warned and saw the girl's eyes quiver slightly.

"I won't."

"That's great. Can you start work right away?" The woman stood up, causing her to stand up too.

"Now?" she queried, obtaining a nod as another person came into the room to guide the chairperson.

"She'll bring you to the office." The woman gestured at her own secretary who gladly offered to help out, bringing the girl down the hallway, toward the lift.

The lady pressed the button while they both waited, seeing how the new girl was fiddling with her fingers nervously.

"Why did you apply?"

"Hm?" The girl looked at the lady.

"Our CEO's not an easy person," she said. "I heard the last secretary left after a day."

The girl furrowed her eyebrows. "Why?"

"Ms Ahn is like a constant thunderstorm. Once you get on her bad side, you're dead for the rest of your time there." she entered the lift with the girl following from behind.

"Rumours said she has no feelings," she whispered and watched the number increase.

"That can't be..." the girl mumbled softly, looking at her feet before hearing a ding from the lift.

The lady brought her towards a room and lifted her fist. "Good luck in there." She knocked a couple of times, opening the door and immediately bowed.

"Ms Ahn, your new secretary." She presented the girl who walked into the office.

Yujin frowned, shutting her eyes for a moment. I told her not to do anything. She sighed sharply, concealing behind her computer.

"Leave," she ordered while the lady bowed, exiting the room.

"You too." Yujin resumed typing but paused the moment she didn't hear the door opening again.

"I don't know what my mom has told you, but I'll suggest for you leave now before regretting it." Soon enough, she heard the person walking towards her desk.

"What—" she looked up to see someone familiar, cutting her sentence off. Naturally, a canvas of dark clouds lingered above both of them.

"What are you doing here?" Yujin asked with the relentless stare the girl gave her.

She felt anger slowly building up, her grip on her mouse tightening with her presence around. "Get out." Yujin spat out, pointing at the door. Cold.

"I can't. I work here." the girl examined Yujin's face and the state she was in. Yujin would know she was reading her like a clean slate of paper if she wasn't bristled with frustration.

"You work here?" Yujin snickered derisively. "I didn't hire you."

"Your mom did." Yujin stood up, gradually being more and more petulant. "Just go."

"I—"

"Kim Minju!" Yujin shouted, slightly startling the innocent girl. "When I say get out, you leave." she firmly said, lips clamping tightly.

"I don't need you here." Yujin's frown remained persistent with her hand faintly quivering before she puts her hand down.

"You need me." Minju pushed through, going beside her table, about to sort out the stacks of paper before Yujin slammed her hand on top of them.

"Don't touch anything," she warned, eyes glaring as if there were daggers being hurled straight through the girl's soul.

Minju took in a deep breath and shifted her hand away, carrying the stack of papers toward the coffee table. Too oblivious for a new secretary.

"Yah!"

"I'm here to help you." Minju separated the stacks while Yujin immediately stood up, grabbing her wrist to stop her.

"Why are you even here?" She asks again, wanting an answer. She's not supposed to be here or even a meter from where she is.

Minju looked at her, glancing at the hand holding onto her wrist. "Because I'm the only one that can help you." she calmly spoke, feeling Yujin's grip tighten.

"Who said I needed your help?"

"Have you seen how you're working?" Minju used her chin, gesturing at her untidy office.

"And who's the cause of that?"

The girl shifted her gaze onto her, recalling what happened.

"It was you," Yujin blurted.

"Do you not hear what I said? I don't need you." She repeated and pulled her to stand up. "Just get out." she started pushing Minju out of her office, but the girl resisted slightly, stopping at the door.

"There's no use, I'll just keep coming back." Minju looked at the girl who had a constant glare plastered across her face.

"Don't." Yujin opened the door, shoving her outside.

Minju stood there while the door slammed in her face, startling her as she looked down the corridor to see the lady from before.





 

Loud stomping could be heard resonating through Ahn's mansion while the infuriated girl made her way toward her mother's little recreational room, seeing the lady enjoying herself with the helpers of the house.

Upon her arrival, they all scattered with Mrs Ahn looking at Yujin who had visible fumes coming out of her nostrils. "Why did you do that?" she gradually advanced toward her mother.

"You need someone to help you out." she calmly spoke while Yujin sat beside her, frowning since hours ago.

She inhaled deeply and leaned back on the couch. "She's not helping." Yujin looked at the woman who folded her little blanket.

"It has only been a day. Why aren't you trying?" Mrs Ahn stood up, going toward her little garden on the platform, smiling at her plants.

"Eomma, I don't like her." 

"Did you ever like any of your secretaries?" the lady retorted, hearing a sharp sigh from Yujin who appeared behind her, following her footsteps.

"Can you fire her?" Yujin persisted, looking intently at her mother's face. The lady paused her actions and faced her daughter. "What's with you and firing people Yujin-ah?"

"I don't like how they work." Yujin excused, putting her hands on her hips, shaking her head.

"You need to change that attitude of yours." the lady went back to watering her beloved plants. "Because of that, no one wants to work for you."

Yujin brushed her hair back. "That's because I don't need anyone to help me," she stated.

"Don't be foolish Yujin-ah. Those stacks of papers won't work themselves. I went to your office earlier; it was halfway done with her help. It's unreasonable for me to fire her." The latter rolled her eyes slightly.

"She's the only one left that's willing to stay. There are zero applications on the list with rumours going around."

"You know they're not rumours," Yujin mumbled while the lady put down the mini watering can.

"Give her some time. You'll like her." her mother walked towards the door with Yujin chasing after her. "I don't. Just—please." She begged, wanting her mother's attention but the lady ignored her.

She reached her room door, opening it halfway. Yujin watched as she faced her. "I'll only let her go if she wants to. Not when you ask me to fire her."

That was the last thing she said before entering her chambers; an area restricted to anyone in the house.

Yujin scoffed loudly and saw helpers peeking from the stairs. "There's nothing to see here." Her voice was loud enough for them to scatter once again before Yujin went into her room.

"What do you think happened?" One of them asked another. There were four of them. "I think it's another secretary issue." She whispered, tugging for them to head to the kitchen.

"When did Yujinie become like this?" one of them pouted, remembering the kid they grew up with. "It must be the workload. It's not easy for a 23-year-old to handle a company."

"Nono." One of them interrupted. "That girl doesn't come anymore." The three looked at her.

"Who?"

"The girl that used to sneak in the back. Remember?" she whispered softly while the rest tried to remember.

"Ah! What was her name?"

"Kim something." The youngest amongst them raised. "I forgot. But all I know; she probably became like this ever since that girl stopped coming."





 

"Why?"

"No reason."

The tall girl's eyebrows constantly twitched, sweat gathering on her forehead. "Please." She whispered, mind running with memories haunting her.

"Don't leave me." she chanted, heart racing before jolting up, looking around the dark and confined area.

She's still in her bedroom. Yujin calmed her breathing, brushing her hair back as she wiped her sweat, realising how her cheeks were damped.

The girl breathed out shakily and sniffed, getting off her bed. It was time to go to work.

Yujin quickly got ready, putting on her usual work outfit, going over with a brown coat with the weather potentially hitting single digit.

Why is it coming back? Yujin thought, buckling her seatbelt as she prepared to head to the office, mind planning to mask her emotions with whatever she has learnt to possess.

Dreams.

That was what she was referring to. Unlike those heavenly dreams that wake you up with a small smile. This wasn't any dream.

It was a nightmare. That nightmare bears reality, a memory of her with someone she once loved. Things just had to flip the whole world around, ruining her when she was at her happiest.

The girl drove and in a matter of minutes, she reached the lift lobby.

Handing the key to the valet, she enters the building like any other day.

But today would be a little different. She has a plan. She wants to get rid of the secretary working for her.

No matter how long or how hard it'll be, Minju has to go. She can't be anywhere near her 5-metre radius.

Even if it means she'll let out the devil upon this poor, innocent girl.

To her predictions, the said girl was seen walking down the hallway, in her direction. The consistent glare she gave didn't seem to bother Minju at all.

Instead, she stood outside Yujin's office, waiting upon her arrival.

Without a greeting, the CEO steps into her office, shutting the door in Minju's face. Again.

The girl inhaled, opening it as she enters. "So you're going to keep working here?" Yujin didn't spare a glance, hanging her coat on the rack.

Oblivious to Minju's nod, she sat at her chair, finally meeting her gaze. "Don't just stand there. Go get me some coffee." Yujin gestured using her head while Minju took one last glance before exiting the room.

With something like immense guilt haunting the girl, she blames herself for how Yujin was acting. How does someone change this drastically over 2 years? She asked herself, accidentally spilling water onto the counter.

"." She mumbled and quickly cleaned it, hearing someone enter the pantry.

"Something bothering you?"

She turns to see a rather cute, but powerful-looking girl standing in front of the door. She had dark black hair just below her shoulder, thin bangs but with a face that was adorable, her strong aura was soon neglected.

Those eyes though. They seem to be able to kill someone with that slight glare of hers, reminding her of a particular person.

"U-Uh not really." Minju stuttered, dusting her hands into the bin while the girl walked to the other end.

She peeked at her lanyard. Kim Chaewon. Chief Financial Officer.

Right, she's on the executive level of this building. "I don't recall seeing you here. Are you by any chance, new?" Chaewon grabbed her ceramic cup off the rack while Minju nodded timidly, suddenly remembering she had coffee to make before someone gets cranky.

No words are said and that's when she realises. "Ah, I work for Ahn Yu—I mean Ms Ahn." She mentally hit herself while the girl turned around.

"New...secretary?" she queried, seeing Minju nod. The look Chaewon had on her face seemed threatening. It's like she's telling Minju to back off for some reason. No idea why though.

"I see." That was all she said before exiting the room with her coffee while Minju dazed.

"People here sure are cold." She walks out and back to Yujin's office.

The said girl looked up when the door opened. "What took you so long?" Minju gently settled the coffee on the table. She didn't say anything and saw a huge stack of papers flooding her sight with one .

"Finish all these by today" Yujin sat back down on her chair.

Minju trailed her eyes all over the papers. They were legal documents. Why are there legal documents? But it was nothing for her to dwell in.

"All...this?" Minju hesitantly peeked over. Yujin hummed. "And that over there." She pointed at the coffee table.

This is humanely impossible. "If you can't handle it, you can leave." Yujin bluntly spoke and went back to doing her own stuff.

Minju puffs out a breath of air, hauling the papers. To her horror, she tripped on her own leg, accidentally dropping everything.

And by everything, the floor was scattered with papers. Yujin glanced, not giving the slightest care.

Minju calmed herself down, ears tainted pink out of embarrassment. I just need to get through this. She hastily gathered everything and went towards the coffee table.

...

After what seemed like 3 hours, Minju caught Yujin standing up in her peripheral vision. Before she knew it, Yujin was in front of her.

And heck, her back hurts from all the hunching. This table is not made for someone to do work in.

Just when she thought Yujin was going to be the nice lad she knew, "Don't go anywhere." She says. But it's lunchtime. Minju watched her leave the office. 

She pointed at herself. "Do I...Do I not get to eat?" Minju snickered, nodding. It's only day 2.

She sighed and looked at the documents waiting for her. The door opened again, making her smile. "Finish them when I get back." Yujin went out again.

She deserved it. That's right. She deserved it for what she has done to this girl. If this is what hell is supposed to feel like, it's still bearable.





 

A week has passed. When she thought she'd be able to get through it. Barely. The girl was on the verge of over-exhaustion all because Yujin wants her to leave.

Piles and heaps of work constantly flooded her beloved coffee table. A secretary should have their own workspace. But there's none for her.

With thoughts wandering in her mind, she accidentally bumped into the same girl she met in the pantry.

What caught her off guard was how she got dragged into one of the vacant meeting rooms, hastily pressed against the door. "C-Chaewon-ssi." She stammered, the girl's face advancing uncomfortably near to hers.

She didn't know her to be like this. Closing her eyes, the girl leaned into her ear. "Why aren't you leaving?" Minju's eyebrows to knitted.

She peeked, feeling the girl stand properly. With those dark eyes prominent even in a dim setting, she definitely got on someone's bad side by doing absolutely nothing.

"Should I be leaving?" Minju asked.

The girl chuckled lowly, shaking her head. "You shouldn't even be here. Have you seen how much you affect our little puppy?" she spoke in the most egocentric way.

Little puppy? Chaewon patted her shoulders nicely. "You'll leave, right? No one stays here for more than 3 days." She smiled as if she hadn't just yanked Minju into this room.

"I don't need hindrance in this place." Chaewon looks at her, trailing her eyes onto her lips. "Hm?" she urged for an answer, but Minju gave her none.

She just stood there. "I'm sorry. I don't work for you." Minju hastily slipped out of the room and went towards the office.

Chaewon scoffed, expression dying down in an instant. "Seems like I have a competitor." Those words slid through her lips. No one stays in this position as long as her with no intentions.

...

Minju timidly entered the room, sighing before sitting on the couch, slowly sliding onto the carpet, immediately having paperwork thrown at her by Yujin.

"This," she repeats and places a stack on the table, one after another. "By 4 pm." Minju held onto her wrist to prevent her from leaving.

"Can I at least have a table?" Yujin saw how she was desperate but shook her head.

"You have." She pointed at the coffee table.

So she's going to keep being like this... Minju thought, letting her go. This is unlike Yujin to have a wall built up in front of her. That wall Minju had wrecked her way through, but it was up once again.

Yujin shifted her gaze onto Minju, going out of notice by the girl who had dark eye bags, movements going slow as if she were about to pass out anytime. Her lips were paler than before.

There was a splint of worry in her eyes but shook it off as she went back to do her work.

...

Knock

Minju snapped out of her trance, looking up to see the office door swinging open and in comes Kim Chaewon.

The girl spared no glance at her, walking toward the CEO's table, settling a financial document on one side. "Thanks, Chaewon-ah." Yujin acknowledged, awaiting her leave but the girl stayed.

Minju watched everything.

From the way Yujin looks at her and how Chaewon returns her gaze. That hand slithered their way onto Yujin's shoulder, gently massaging those stiff muscles.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" Chaewon spoke into Yujin's ear while the girl raised a hand, blocking her face slightly.

"You can leave Ms Kim."

"You said you were going to think about it," Chaewon whined.

Minju's eyebrows furrowed, more of frowning upon the way she acted in front of Yujin. With Minju's mind thinking of all the possibilities about their relationship together, the CEO's gaze fell onto Minju who was staring at the two of them.

She looks at Chaewon. "We'll talk about it later. I have a lot of things to do." She asked her to get off the table. "I'll be waiting." She gave a firm squeeze to Yujin's shoulder, walking.

Chaewon intentionally caught Minju's attention. The look she gave her screamed I have the upper hand here.

Yujin swallowed thickly, watching Chaewon leave her office, looking at Minju who was staring at the closed door. Not sure why she did.

But the way she was gripping onto her pen sent her signals.

The girl wasn't having it.




 

Yujin closed the file with someone turning on the lights of the meeting room. "That would be the proposal for the partnership. If there are any queries, please email them to the team." One of the managers announced, bowing as he took his leave with the board of directors chatting with each other.

"Yujin-ah." She heard her father's voice, glancing up to see him smiling. "Bring your team for dinner." He stood up while the girl tilted her head.

"I don't have a team..." she mumbled under her breath while the man gestured at Minju who was standing a distance away from Yujin.

He then walked to her. "She's good. Keep her here." Her father whispered into her ear, inflicting a frown on Yujin's forehead.

"Appa—"

"Go." He said before Yujin could even tell him about the whole wanting to fire Minju thing.

But he stopped walking. "If not, take Chaewon and her team with you."

Yujin tightens her lips while Minju looked at her, gathering her things. The taller girl glanced at Minju, sighing in the process before leaving the room with her secretary following.

"You heard him," Yujin spoke to no one in particular while Minju nodded. But something made her elated with those three words her father said.

...

Minju hazardously glanced at Yujin who was looking out of the car window, streaks of rain splattering recklessly.

She sat properly, fiddling with her fingers with the middle seat empty, the chauffeur bringing them to the restaurant Yujin's father booked for the team.

"Why did you come here?" Yujin had her hand combed up in her hair, leaning against the door.

Minju's throat went dry, clearing it. "No reason." She saw how a flash of hurt struck past the latter's face. Wasn't noticeable to others but it was to her.

She should've used something better. "I mean—"

"Don't talk." Yujin went cold once again, folding her arms before shutting her eyes, inhaling shakily.

They soon reached the restaurant, getting off with the aid of the driver's umbrella sheltering the two of them.

Too close. Yujin thought, shifting away before leaving the umbrella, hopping under the shelter of the restaurant. She dusted her sleeves, entering the place with Minju tagging along.

She then saw the person she came to loathe seeing, someone who held grudges against her for no particular reason.

"What took you so long? You should've come with me." Chaewon circled her arm around Yujin's holding onto it tightly with the scene unravelling before Minju's eyes.

She let out a blunt sigh, running her fingers through her hair.

They all sat down at the long table, beers and soju filling one side, delicious foods filling the other.

Minju was set to pour everyone's drink under Yujin's command, doing so in a matter of seconds. She may be clumsy, but when it comes to impressing others, she was great at it.

She sat beside Yujin, watching Chaewon sit across the said girl, smiling. The glare Minju aimed at Chaewon didn't go out of notice from Yujin, somehow making the corner of her lips curl up slightly, immediately snapping out of it.

She's nothing to you Yujin-ah. The taller girl reminded herself, advancing to eat with the rest.

It was all great for the past hour or so till Minju felt someone's leg nudging hers, peeking down to see the owner. Chaewon noticed, retracting her leg. She mouthed a sorry, bringing her leg to where she originally planned to set it.

Minju saw how the latter's feet glide up Yujin's shin. She frowned, looking at how oblivious Chaewon was before rolling her eyes.

All she wanted to do was snap those racy legs of hers that probably holds no meaning other than what she had in her mind.

Yujin suddenly shifted her chair back, catching the attention of others. Her cheeks glowed red, probably under the influence of alcohol.

Minju knew she couldn't last with the number of bottles she counted in front of her. She herself didn't drink any. It was all Yujin's.

She wonders why she's drinking so much.

Chaewon whispered something into her co-worker's ear before doing the same, chasing Yujin who left the room.

With the thought of what Chaewon might be doing to her, she excused herself and followed the two, entering the secluded area of the restaurant where the bathroom is.

To her curiosity, she walked into the bathroom. They should be here. Her mind told her to stop, reminding her of what she has seen just a few days ago.

Don't be delusional. She fought with her mind, and pushed open empty stalls, starting to hear slight groaning coming from the one at the end. There's no point hurting yourself by seeing it again.

Minju persisted, pushing open the door just to see people she didn't know, busy with themselves, tainting her cheeks red.

"Sorry!" she closed it and ran out of the bathroom, shaking her head and mentally murdering herself.

"Where are they..." she walked towards where the staircase of the building was.

She saw a familiar figure pinning another onto the wall, narrowing her eyes.

Advancing closer, thinking Chaewon was going to go all out with the CEO, Yujin forcefully pushed her away, enough for her to lose balance. But she didn't fall.

That was something Minju didn't see the other time—Yujin resisting.

"Stop it." she sternly told Chaewon who didn't take the hint, throwing herself onto Yujin with lips clashing against hers.

Minju just stood there, heart ripping into tiny little pieces.

She watched with her fist clenched tightly and couldn't stand it any further. As she was about to bust the door open, Yujin slammed Chaewon onto the wall, breathing deeply with dark eyes staring into hers.

"Please. Stop."

Chaewon looked into her eyes. "You promised."

"I didn't—why are you putting words into my mouth?" Yujin's grip only tightened around the latter's shoulder. "I never said I'd date you."

"You said you'd try. How long are you going to cry over someone who doesn't want you Yujin-ah?" Chaewon saw the girl shaking her head to wake herself up.

"You have me now. She doesn't want you. She abandoned you." she felt Yujin trembling. "Why do you keep thinking about someone who did nothing but hurt you?"

Minju loosened her grip on the doorknob, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"She's not—"

"Stop wasting your time, Ahn Yujin." Chaewon cut her off. "Accept the fact that she dumped you without a reason. She probably ditched you for another person."

Yujin gradually leaned forward, dropping her forehead onto Chaewon's shoulder, silently sobbing with gentle pats given to her back.

"Then you t-tell me why." She managed to speak, sniffing. "Why did she come here?" Yujin asked, eyes reddened with tears staining her cheeks.

"She must have a reason to come all the way here." She saw Chaewon shaking her head. "People like her just want stuff out of their reach. She clearly doesn't deserve you."

Minju's hatred for the girl developed stronger, blatantly gaslighting the latter into thinking about things that aren't true.

She bursts through the door, yanking Yujin out of the way with murderous eyes pinning Chaewon down.

The girl gasped. "Kim Minju."

Yujin drooped her eyes onto the pair of hands holding onto her arm.

"She clearly said no Chaewon-ssi." That earned her an obnoxious look. "Why are you forcing her?"

"Forcing—forcing her?" Chaewon laughed mockingly, expression going blank in a split second. She pointed at Minju. "You're the problem here."

Chaewon steps forward. "If you didn't come back, she would've been mine." Minju's face twitched with annoyance. Yujin felt her knees bucking but the girl held onto her hand.

Those soft hands that touched her bare skin. They felt cold over her warm skin.

Chaewon took another step closer, causing Minju to back paddle. "If it wasn't for you," she said. "She wouldn't become like this." she motioned at Yujin who had eyes about to close, gradually leaning onto Minju who held onto her.

"Who are you to interfere with us? Where were you when she needed you the most?"

Minju's ears perked, breathing slowly going shaky. That's right. Where was she?

"You left her, Minju-ssi." Chaewon looked at her with aloof eyes. "And when you were nowhere to be found, I was there. I saw what you made her into."

Minju looked to the floor, body trembling out of fear. No. Out of guilt. Every word that came out of was only facts.

She did leave her. She left when the world collapsed onto Yujin. She left without a reason. At least that's what Yujin was made known to.

Chaewon only kept on bashing her with words. Those words she knew she had to face. And there she knew; Yujin wasn't going through all that alone.

"Stop," Minju muttered softly.

Chaewon went silent the moment she heard the girl sniffing. Minju swallowed thickly, forcing back her tears. "I know. You can stop."

She firmly held onto Yujin who was knocked out in the process. She couldn't stand all the mutters.

Without saying another word, she slowly supported Yujin out, waking the girl who stumbled slightly, leaving Chaewon dumbfounded.

Minju just kept walking, retrieving their valuables. They went through the back door and toward the small street. She had no strength to think. It took her this long to come back, to explain things.

But all she got was ill-treatment, not by a stranger she just met, but by the person she loved.

Or loves.

She flagged for a cab, unsure how to contact the chauffeur. Gently, she settled Yujin into the car, closing the door while asking the driver to unwind the window.

The moment he did, he says, "Miss, I think you should follow her just in case. She doesn't look that well."

Minju glanced at the back to see Yujin who had her eyes closed, a subtle frown visible on her forehead. The driver hoped she'd follow, the reek of alcohol filling his senses. He didn't want anyone to puke in his car.

Minju sighed softly, going to the other side, and entering the vehicle. She waited for a tad too long, just staring at the girl who had an uneasy expression on, leaning against the window until the driver asked for an address.

She gave her own. The car accelerated too fast, causing Yujin's head to knock on the door frame, earning a soft grunt.

As she was about to wake up, she felt a hand holding onto her jaw, leaning her downwards. The next second, she felt herself lying on someone's shoulder. It was still, smelt like roses or maybe jasmine.

But all she knew; it was a scent she'll never forget.





 

Minju lifted Yujin out of the cab after transferring the fees. With little strength, she barely got Yujin to stand by herself, supporting her toward the lift lobby.

It wasn't like Yujin at all. Having known her for god knows how long, she has never once seen her drunk.

Yujin wasn't someone who drinks, to Minju's knowledge. She would be the one who brings back those who get drunk.

Seeing her dazing, legs about to give way, cheeks flushed with no idea where she was, Minju knew she messed everything up the moment she left her.

The girl gently settled Yujin onto her couch. She was totally gone. 3 unconscious bottles of soju were all it took as Minju recalled.

Her place was small. With only one room for herself, everything was within her reach without the need to walk an extra mile.

It was a perfect place for one person.

She draped a blanket over Yujin who had a constant frown on her forehead, eyes seemingly wanting to block the subtle rays of light entering those lids. She had her feet sticking off the couch, the position of her head felt like it hurt.

The girl squatted down and just stared at Yujin. The calm breathing of the girl made her fall into a trance.

But that frown was bothering her.

Slowly, she lifts up her hand, landing the tip of her middle finger between those knitted brows. Yujin gradually relaxed her facial muscles, or every single muscle she had in her with that slight touch.

Something about those cold fingertips felt warm.

Minju shifted her baby hairs aside, eyes unknowingly drawing all over Yujin's face, too focused till the point she didn't realise tears started to fall.

Those warm tears that held the weight of guilt, remorse, and most importantly...

Regret.

Whatever she did to her two years ago, everything painted right before her eyes. The outcome of leaving someone without a reason.

She didn't know how this happened, or why it happened. At that point, it felt like the right thing to do.

To leave Yujin.

She didn't give her a choice. She regrets not giving her one. Maybe if she did, they could've worked it out better rather than being immature with her decisions.

Those tears slowly turned from regret to anger. She was—is mad at herself. Just when they've been going on and on about wanting to tell each other everything they had in their mind, Minju had to keep silent.

She didn't know why when Yujin was practically an angel who fell through the skies, perfectly landing right in front of her eyes.

"Why are you crying?"

Minju choked slightly, lifting her head from the couch to see Yujin's eyes half opened, eyebrows going back to do their job. Frowning.

She didn't seem awake. But rather, she looked like she was in a state of sleep talking. Minju has no idea.

"Minju-ah," Yujin called out, restlessly gazing at the girl's reddened eyes, and tear-stained cheeks. It has been long since she called her name that way.

"I told you not to cry when I'm around, didn't I?" It sounded like her, but it doesn't at the same time.

"You're supposed to be happy with me...so why are you crying...?" Yujin asked, eyes slightly quivering while looking into Minju's.

"Talk to me," she said. "Don't just cry and tell me what's wrong."

Minju unknowingly shed tears, those words sounding utterly familiar to her. It was like she was reading off a memory.

"If you don't tell me what's wrong..." Yujin gently wiped Minju's cheek. "...how will I know what's wrong?"

She felt her hand trembling against her skin before Minju held onto it, settling it on the couch.

Yujin's expression suddenly went cold. It was so instant, Minju knew exactly what she was thinking about.

"Why?" she spoke, tears slowly welling up in her eyes, sitting up. Her eyes landed on Minju who stood up.

"Hm? This is not real, is it?" Yujin frowned. "It's a d-dream, right?" she looks at Minju.

The girl covered to soften her sobs and felt Yujin grasping her hand. The pain she had on her face matches the one imprinted into the deepest part of Minju's core memory.

"You're not leaving me, right?" Yujin let a tear roll down her cheek with a little, dejected smile on her face. "Did I do s-something wrong?" Minju slowly shook her head.

She's dreaming.

"Then why?" Yujin's voice broke, just like how it did two years ago. "Why?" she repeated, desperately looking at Minju who turned her face away, feeling her grip tighten around her wrist.

And there it was. A look she has never seen on Yujin's face before.

Hurt.

The taller girl slowly became drowsy, fainting as she laid back on the couch, hand holding onto Minju's.

She couldn't seem to stop her tears from flowing. After all these months, and years, was Yujin always like this? Mistaking dreams for reality?

Or was there really a difference in either?

Those two were pretty much the same for the girl. She doesn't know when she's dreaming, or when she's awake. Has been like this since that whole break off happened.

But those weren't dreams. They were painful memories making their way back to Yujin in the form of nightmares, thoughts she has tried so hard to get rid of just to get them back the moment Minju stood in front of her.

The girl gradually stooped down, crying harder with no worries about waking Yujin up. She was dead asleep with a potential earthquake failing to wake her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered between sobs, grasping Yujin's hand. Those two words constantly rolled off her tongue, her head started to hurt from the overwhelming emotions filling her brain.

The latter remembered everything, word by word.

"Minju-ah." Yujin softly mumbled, pausing the girl's cry. She looks up to see how she had her eyes closed, a tear slipping down the corner of her eye.

"I'll always love you, you know that?" Minju sniffed, hearing how the latter's breath hiccupped. "I don't know why you had to do that...why...why did you leave me without a reason?" Yujin's lips trembled slightly.

"I know I couldn't give you everything...but you were everything I had." Minju looked at her hand, seeing how Yujin's finger slowly coils around her pinky.

"If you could...just appear one day and tell me why..." she suddenly fell silent, putting Minju into a state of confusion and anticipation.

"I'll stop blaming you...because then I'll have no reason to." Her grip around Minju's finger tightened. "But it'll become my fault." Yujin gradually leaned her face into the small pillow, sobbing slightly harder.

Minju wonders if she has been like this every night. Crying alone in her sleep with no one beside her. She hopes there was.

"I k-keep telling myself t-to get over you...but why is it so hard?" Yujin choked on her sobs. Minju found her hand gently caressing her head, beads of sweat forming on Yujin's forehead, having been wiped by the girl.

Slowly but surely, Yujin's cries faltered, sniffing softly. "I still love you, Minju-ah....just come back," she whispered, letting out a long sigh.

"I'm tired of lying."

That was the last thing she said before a long 3-minute pause, letting Minju know she was really in deep sleep.

Her thumb gently rubbed against Yujin's temple, sniffing lightly before landing a soft kiss on her head, fingers combing through her hair.

She looks at the hand holding onto her pinky, slowly retracting her finger from her grasp. Minju went back caressing her head, drying her tears.





 

The next morning soon came with the brunette silently walking toward the room she managed to settle Yujin in. Her own room.

She couldn't just let the girl sleep on her couch, knowing how things have been bothering her lately. But that was at a cost of having strained her neck.

She slowly twisted the doorknob, seeing how Yujin was still sound asleep under her blanket. Scenes from last night flashed through her mind from getting Yujin to stand, change out, and get in her bed.

Yes, change. It was inevitable. She reeked of alcohol. It was for her own good.

The girl glances at her little wristwatch. It was time for her to head to the office. But she found it a little hard to do so with the person she's working for sleeping in her bed, in her own place.

What should I do? Wake her up? Minju looks at the girl again. She didn't want to disturb her. This is the first time she looked so peaceful with nothing bothering her, that frown invisible on her forehead.

Minju decided to let her sleep in, disregarding the fact of how Yujin might freak out when she wakes up to find herself in a foreign place. There was no room for thinking too far.

 



 

A little frown slowly grew on the sleeping girl's forehead, breathing deeply before flickering her eyes open. She squinted, looking around this small area. Finding it weird, Yujin gradually sat up, holding onto the edge of the blanket.

Where am I? She slightly rubbed her eyes, head throbbing. She has absolutely no recollection of what happened last night.

Instead of thinking she got kidnapped, Yujin kept her cool, taking in every corner of this place. She has never been here before.

One night? The girl tilted her head but shook it off. She's not someone who does that.

With a mind still foggy, she lifts the blanket off her, spotting something at the little table beside the bed. It was a pastel blue post-it.

Yujin picked it up, adjusting her eyesight to the bright environment. If you're hungry, there's food outside. Take the supplement and sleep more if you want. Don't worry about work.

She thought hard.

"Chaewon?" she looks around the place. It doesn't feel like somewhere the girl would stay with a status that high. She's not judging if it really was though.

E

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter