I felt empty till I met you

Pleasant Imagines, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A little girl was seen carrying a box the size of her body, heaving herself into the lift. "Which level?" A lady asked, seeing how she was struggling to press the floor number.

"Level 3 please." She politely asked. "That makes us neighbours then." The lady pressed the button.

"Moving day?" she gently asked while the little girl nodded. The woman wondered why she didn't feel as enthralled as she thought she would be.

"What's your name?" the girl looked up. "Kim Minju," she answered, fingers tapping against the box as the lady cooed softly.

"You have a pretty name." she complimented while the door opened.

"Thank you. See you around ma'am." Minju bowed slightly, walking towards her family's apartment unit.

She used her feet and pushed the door open, mouth opening in awe. "This is big." She mumbled, closing the door, and heading straight to her room.

It was way bigger than her previous room with the bed and study table laid out nicely, a wooden wardrobe with windows beside the bed.

She places the box down, going towards where the window is, looking out to see the view. The whole apartment complex was visible from her room.

But no matter how big her room is, it'll always feel empty.

Minju took out some stuff, placed them on the study table, arranging them nicely as well as putting her soft toys on her bed. Those are her only form of comfort.

"Minju-ah." She halted her movements in an instant as she walked out of her room.

"Yes, eomma?" she called, seeing her mom walk toward her with a cooler bag of stuff.

"Wanna go hand these out?" the lady placed it on the floor.

Minju looked into it, realising it was a bag filled with packets of handmade rice cakes for the neighbours.

"Okay." Minju carried the cooler bag, walking down the living room. "Be nice." Her mother reminded her.

She hummed, putting on her slippers. She looks left and right, seeing an array of units, comfortably carrying the gifts.

After a second of thinking about which way to go, she turns to her right, knocking on the door. Not long after, the same lady she saw opened the door with a gentle smile on her face.

"Oh, Minju-ah." The girl reached into the bag and pulled out a box. "My mom asked me to hand these out." she gives her one, bowing slightly, noticing someone coming from the back.

"Eomma, who's that?" a boy half a head taller than her asked. "The new family living next door." She told her son.

Minju just stood there staring at the guy who eye smiled, waving his hand. "Hello." The girl bowed upon his greeting.

"How old are you?" he asked, leaning against the door frame. "12," Minju replied, hands fiddling with the strap of the bag.

"I'm older." He mumbled, smiling as he looked up at his mother. "You can call me Yujin oppa." He said, looking at Minju who nodded slowly.

"Go on, we have many neighbours on this floor." The lady urged Minju who smiled and bowed once more, taking a step back.

"I'll see you around." Yujin waved, walking backwards while Minju went on handing the rice cakes out to the rest.

...

"Still giving them out?" Yujin asked the moment she saw Minju walking back toward her apartment. She showed him how there was one box left.

He walked towards her. "Can you give me one more?" he looked at the girl who blinked in confusion.

"Ah, there's no one living in the last unit." Yujin pointed to the end while Minju looked and nodded slowly.

"It's good. The rice cake." He said. Minju the last one to him, seeing an instant smile plastered over his face. "Thanks."

"You're going to play basketball?" she asked while he nodded. "Wanna come with me?" Yujin asked.

"I don't know how to...play," Minju said, relaxing her shoulders. "Then...do you want to eat this with me?" he asked, raising the box in his hand.

"I'll need to...ask my mom." She pointed to her house door while he nodded, leaning against the wall, waiting for her.

A while later, Minju came back out of the house, closing the door as Yujin stood properly. "Come on." He smiled, dragging her along, heading towards the lift.

"Can I trust you?" Minju asked, looking at the guy who hummed. "My mom says I can't trust people so easily." She said, seeing him smile.

Yujin shook his head. "Don't trust me," he said. "Never trust anyone."

The lift door opened as she followed him out, seeing the basketball court next to the playground.

"Why are you so nice to me?" Minju asked, hearing a slight chuckle. "You ask many questions, don't you?" she clasped her hands together, swinging them, nodding.

"I just, don't know why you would be nice to a stranger."

"You're not a stranger," Yujin said.

"You're my neighbour." He smiles sweetly as they reached a small bench, settling his ball on the floor.

"I asked you to follow me, I'll have to be responsible for you." he sits down, patting the spot beside him.

Yujin took the rice cake, carefully ripping the plastic wrapper off, taking one piece out.

"Here." He hands it to Minju. "Thank you." she bit on it, chewing while swinging her legs.

"Oppa, you don't have friends?" she curiously asked, earning a weird look. "I have many friends, what are you talking about?" Yujin scoffed softly, savouring the dessert.

"Then why is there no one playing with you?" Minju asked, seeing the empty court while he didn't know how to answer.

"Ah...it's nearly night time, my friends don't live around here," Yujin explained, swallowing.

"You? Do you have a sister? Or brother?" he tilted his head, seeing how Minju slowly dipped her head down, looking at the floor.

She shook her head. "It's just me." she forced out a small smile while Yujin nodded.

"Friends?" he asked while she shook her head. "I came from there...all the way there." Minju pointed to nowhere, confusing the guy.

"Very...far." He said, biting on the rice cake. "How old are you?" Minju asked.

"14."

He dusted his hands when he finished the dessert. "Ah..." she looks at him from head to toe.

"Then why are you so short? Aren't you supposed to be like, very tall?" Minju asked, seeing how Yujin looked offended. "I'm not short. You're short." He pushes her head lightly.

"Yah..." Minju frowned, seeing him frown too. "I'm still taller than you." Yujin snarls, looking at the basketball court.

"Wanna be friends?"

 

 



 

From that day on, they became inseparable pairs of friends.

Yujin would go over to Minju's sometimes, Minju would go over to his. But usually, the girl heads to his house because of how busy her mother is. Yujin's mother doesn't mind as long as nothing bad happens to both of them.

Her mother is more than grateful for having such an understanding neighbour.

A few weeks have passed since Minju moved into the new neighbourhood. Didn't make many friends, or more like, she doesn't want to make too many friends.

Although she's still young, the quality of the people she meets bear more meaning than quantity. She just needs the right people beside her.

"Good?" Yujin asked, one hand gripping onto the swing, lightly pushing Minju who nodded, carefully her ice cream. They've just ended school an hour ago.

"Oppa, you don't wanna sit down?" she motioned to the swing next to her. He shook his head, the cream off his lips. "Someone needs to push you."

"I'm good though," Minju says, looking at him, halting his actions. "You sure?" she hummed as Yujin sat down on the other vacant swing.

"I've been thinking about something," he says, lightly swinging himself. "Why did you move here?" Yujin asked, glancing at Minju who looked down at her feet.

She always does that the moment she doesn't want to answer certain questions, Yujin knows. "It's okay, just eat your ice cream."

"I don't have a dad." she abruptly speaks, making the guy look at her. "Because of me." Minju slowly lifted her head, looking at the dim playground. "That's why we moved here."

Yujin didn't know what to say, deciding to keep quiet. No wonder I don't see her dad anywhere. When the atmosphere felt stuffy, he chuckles to lighten the mood.

"Me too. I don't have a dad."

Minju looks at him to see that smile he always has whenever he's with her. "Really?" Yujin hummed.

"What happened?" Minju asked.

"Mmm...nothing," he said. "He's dead," Yujin added, biting on the wafer cone.

Minju's mouth went slightly agape, looking down. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't be." Yujin looks at her. "He's dead to me." Minju timidly her ice cream, not knowing what to say, glancing at the guy who was kicking the floor.

She then noticed something on his bicep. "What happened?" Yujin looks up, seeing where she was referring, quickly rolling his sleeve to cover a bruise.

"I just fell. Nothing bad." Minju nodded, finding it weird, not knowing how one injure the side of his arm by falling normally. Even so, there were no wounds on his knees.

"Finish?" He stood up, seeing Minju still busy her dessert.

"Come on, let's eat while walking. Your mom's going to kill me if we linger out too late." Yujin reaches his hand out with Minju holding onto it.

Minju looks up at him, seeing how he isn't as cheerful as usual, trying to read his expression. Maybe that topic was too sensitive.

"Don't be sad," Minju says, biting on her cone while the guy looked at her. "You have me. I'm not going anywhere." she looks at him with a petite smile on her face, feeling his hand land on her head.

"I know," Yujin says and puts his hands behind his back.

"I have nowhere else to go anyway," Minju said and finished the last bit of her ice cream, dusting her hands.





 

The school bell rings, signalling break time. A group of four girls stood in front of Minju's seat, folding their arms.

"I heard you have no dad." one of them said.

Minju blinked, zipping up her pencil case. How did they know? "It must be true, even her dad doesn't want her." another girl smacks her friend's shoulder while they started laughing.

"How pathetic. I would die without a dad. He does everything for me." they started walking, intentionally bumping Minju's shoulder while the girl took in a deep breath, sighing silently.

She didn't know what to feel. Should she feel sad? Angry? Or should she just accept the fact that her father really abandoned her? But she doesn't know if abandonment would be the reason.

To her knowledge, she was the reason their family broke apart.

"Yah!" someone shouted from the window, jogging towards the door to stop the group of girls who were leaving.

"What did you say?" the guy asked, slowly walking nearer to them, face twitching with anger.

Minju turned around, realising who it was.

"So what if she doesn't have a dad? Does she need one to survive?" Yujin walked closer, eyes glaring at them. "How do you even know if he doesn't want her anymore huh? Are you her? Or are you him? How would you know?"

"Who...are you?" the first girl asked, crossing her arms complacently.

"I'm someone who knows her better than you." Yujin frowned, hearing her scoff.

One of the girls smacked her arm. "Yah, he's a senior," she whispered, seeing the different coloured name tag, hurriedly wanting her to stop talking back before things go too far.

"Senior? If he was a senior, he wouldn't be this short." she scoffed, making Yujin clench both his fists together, mind clouded with unpleasant thoughts until someone comes and pulls him out of the class, dragging him away.

Minju started walking quickly with a hand holding onto his, bringing him out of the building, toward the back where it was secluded. She stopped, gradually letting go of his hand while Yujin stood there, watching as she slowly turned around.

He quickly cupped her face, checking if they did anything to her, knowing that the group of girls are one of the little gangs in this school. "Did they hurt you?" Yujin worriedly asks while Minju trailed her eyes onto his lips, seeing they were slightly busted, seemingly already treated.

 

Minju was walking out of her apartment, ready for school when she heard subtle shouting from below. The girl peeked through the gaps of the concrete railing, seeing Yujin standing outside a car door.

There was someone, a man in a suit standing in front of him.

"I told you to give up violin! You're not going to listen?" the guy shouted, face visibly irritated.

"I like playing the violin—"

He slaps the boy, startling Minju who blinked, not knowing what was going on.

"No boy plays the violin! Boys aren't supposed to play music. That stuff is for girls!"

"I just like it—" another slap was given to his cheek while Yujin grimaced, swallowing the pain. "Appa!" Yujin yelled, subtle tears running down his cheeks.

"Do you know me? Do you even know your own son? Do you know what I like? You don't." he talked back, having his collar pulled by the man as he got ready for another slap, making him shut his eyes.

"All you need to know..." Yujin spoke, opening his eyes slowly while the guy paused. "...is that I don't want to grow up to be like you." he forces his dad's hands off, grabbing his school bag.

Yujin walked away with a busted lip, hearing his father shout for him as he hastily wiped his own tears.

The girl upstairs froze with shock, never seeing this happen in her life. A father beating up his own son.

 

"Are you okay?"

Minju snapped back to reality, instantly hugging Yujin who got taken aback. He smiled softly, gently caressing the back of her head.

She pulled away hastily, looking at Yujin. "What...happened?" Minju pointed to his lips, confusing the guy who thought she might've cried or felt angry about what happened earlier.

"Ah..." Yujin brushed his thumb against his lips, shaking his head. "It's nothing." he smiled, seeing how the look on Minju's face slowly became an expression of worry.

"Are you okay? Do they do that to you every day?" he asked, bending down slightly. Minju shook her head and walked, sitting down on a bench.

"You must tell me if they try to hurt you. I'll make them stop." Yujin said, sitting next to her. "I'll beat them up if they lay one finger on you," he mumbled, reaching into his deep pocket, pulling out something.

"Why are you doing this?" Minju asked, looking at the guy who had packets of bread in his hand, humming.

"Why do you keep protecting me?" she added, wondering why since he should be protecting himself first, seeing how he got badly beaten up by his own father whom he assumed was dead to him.

"Of course, I'll protect you," Yujin muttered, putting a packet of bread that he specifically bought for her in her palm. "Who else is going to if I don't?" he tilted his head, opening the bread as he took a bite out of it.

Minju fiddled with the plastic wrapping, having it taken by Yujin. "What happened to your father?" he hesitantly asked, ripping the packaging, and putting it nicely into Minju's hands before looking at her.

"He left," she said, biting on the bread. "Divorce?" Yujin asked, seeing her nod. Must've been really hard for her age.

"Do you know why?" he bit on his bread, glancing at Minju who shook her head.

"But I know it's because of me." she sighed softly.

"It's not your fault, you know?" Yujin said, leaning back against the bench, watching students play on the basketball court afar. "How would you know?" Minju asked, slowly chewing her bread.

"That's why. I don't know, you don't know. So, it's not your fault. Why would you think it is?" he asked. 

"Because I wanted a sibling," Minju mumbled, biting a small piece. "They fought because of that," she said.

Yujin snickered lightly. "But they could've fought for other reasons like my parents," he said, forcing out a small smile while she looked at him.

He had an affair. Okay, that might not be the best reason. "Not that it could be." Yujin reiterated.

"I saw it," Minju spoke while he finished his bread. "Saw what?" he asked, crushing the wrapper within his palm.

Minju then lifted her finger, pointing at the corner of his lips. "This." she retracted her hand, going back to eat her food.

Yujin stared at her, blinking before looking forward, sighing. He thought he hid it well enough. "Scary?" Minju looked at him, examined his face and nodded slowly.

"Why...why did he do that?" she gazes at him with curious eyes but deep down, she really doesn't want to know the reason why.

Yujin inhaled deeply and fanned his legs out, sitting comfortably. "I'll only tell you this," he said, combing his fingers through his hair.

"Since young, I've always liked playing the violin." he started, gazing to nowhere with Minju staring at him.

"Probably my only form of relaxation. My dad has his own company and he wants me to be the next in line—he wants me to take over when I turn 18, but I don't want to." Yujin looked to his side to see Minju fully immersed in his story, making him laugh softly.

"You want to be a violinist?" she asked, seeing him nod slowly. "If I can." Yujin sighed silently.

"I kept this a secret from my dad, only ever told my mom I wanted to focus on this. But he found out and tried to stop me before I go too far," he said, pressing his lips together. Yujin crossed his legs, fiddling with the crushed up wrapper.

"Whenever I didn't listen to him, he would...you know...do that." he pointed at his lips, causing Minju's gaze to fall there before looking at him whole again.

"But I still didn't listen, and he wouldn't stop. After a while, I got used to it. Getting these are all worth it if I get to play the violin."

The girl nodded slowly, finding it amazing how someone's passion could be this strong, willing to shed a little bit of blood for it. His young age astonishes her even more.

"What if it gets worse?" she asked, slightly worried when she got reminded about how his father grabbed him by his collar. That face, that expression tells it all that the man doesn't think of him as his son but as someone who will continue his business for him in the future.

"It won't," Yujin assured. "Because I'll be all big by then, he won't be able to touch me." he looked at Minju with a gentle smile on his face.

"Ah," Yujin remembered, taking the strawberry milk beside him, forgetting to give it to her. "You like strawberries, right?" he asked, poking the straw while she nodded.

Yujin smiled, handing it to her while she thanked him. "Once I get into high school in 3 years, I'll make sure to succeed," he said, resting his arm against the back of the bench.

"I'll follow you," Minju muttered, having slight difficulty swallowing her milk. He laughs, crossing his arms. "How will you follow me? You'll still be here."  Yujin acted fiercely but failed badly.

"You'll have to wait for me," she said, finishing her bread. "Wait for me to get into high school. You'll still be there, right?" Minju looked at him, seeing a placid smile across his lips while he nodded.

Yujin then lifted his hand, patting her head adoringly. "I'll wait for you."

"Promise?" Minju asked, lifting her pinky finger, bewildering him while he did the same. "I promise." he locked his finger with hers, earning an adorable smile from Minju.

"Drink more milk, that way you'll grow taller," he advised, getting his arm pinched slightly. "Then you should drink too." she handed the milk to him.

Instead of being offended like how he used to, he took it, sipping a little before giving it back to her. "I'll be tall, you don't have to worry. We grow differently from you guys." Yujin said, giving a teasing smile.

"Can I...treat you as my brother?" Minju asked while the guy puckered his lips, giving it a thought. "Why?"

"I've always wanted an older brother," she said, a little sad she came into this world with no one in front or behind her.

Yujin shook his head. "Why?" she asked. "I don't want a sibling," he said, looking at Minju who frowned slightly.

"Why not? It'll be so fun, it'll just be you and me," she spoke with lips puckered, forcefully latching her lips around the straw, getting slightly annoyed.

"Then it'll just be you and me," he said.

Minju glanced at him to see how genuine his smile looked as he laid his head against his palm. "You don't want me to be your little sister?"

Yujin shook his head once again. "Why~" she persisted, seeing him scrunch his nose.

"You'll know when you grow older."

"I'm old enough," Minju said as he shook his head. "You're still a kid." he teased standing up.

"You're only 2 years older than me," she argued, also standing as she followed him.




 

2 years later...




 

Yujin walked out of his room, seeing his mother sitting on the couch with a paper in her hands. Being curious, he walked over but the lady hastily flipped the paper, putting it on the coffee table.

"Why? What are you hiding from me?" Yujin sits down while his mother smiled, shaking her head. "I'm not hiding anything," she answered, bringing him nearer, somehow worrying the latter.

"You're acting weird eomma." Yujin held onto her shoulder while the lady brushed her fingers through his hair.

"Are you going over?" she asked while he shook his head. "Minju is coming." She nodded, rubbing her son's shoulder.

"He didn't do anything to you, did he?" Yujin's mother looked into his eyes which narrowed into a calm smile. "He wouldn't dare," he assured the woman, bringing her hands down as he held onto them tightly.

"I won't get hurt anymore, I promise," Yujin said, squeezing her palm lightly.

They heard a knock on the door. "Go open it, I'll set the table." Yujin nodded, heading toward the door, opening it to see Minju with a small bag in her hands.

"Where's your mom?" he asked, letting her in and closing the door. "She's still in the office," she answered, passing the bag to him.

"What's this?" Yujin lifted it while Minju went to greet his mother as he followed from behind, realising it was a couple of containers used for side dishes.

"Sit down, sit down. You must be hungry." the lady said, handing some chopsticks while Minju thanked her, watching the guy sit beside her.

"How's school?" she asked the girl, sitting down opposite her. "It was okay," Minju answered, scooping a spoonful of rice.

This has become the norm ever since Minju moved into this complex. With Minju's mother working and Yujin's mother staying at home, the lady didn't mind looking after the girl.

Most can say she's sweet and has the utmost respect for those older than her. There was no way the lady could let her stay at home and eat dinner that late in the night. So, they came up with a compromise to have dinner together, almost every night.

Yujin's mother didn't mind. A little more company wouldn't hurt. But the girl was still shy around his mother. After all, there was still a thin line between both families with their mothers not wanting each other to know what happened with their own families.

However, sadly, the children themselves know about each other's situations.

They ate in comfortable silence with minimal conversations taking place.

...

Minju sat comfortably on his bed, watching as Yujin came into the room. "Did you tell your mom you're here?" he asked, sitting on his chair while grabbing a pen. Minju's mother didn't join them for dinner.

The girl hummed, finding stuff to do. Yujin turned around to see Minju fumbling through his little shelf stacked with comic books. "You don't have homework?" he asked.

"Finished," Minju answered, picking one out and laying back on the bed. "That's fast..." Yujin mumbled and continued doing his work.

"You sure?" he double-checked, seeing her nod firmly. She doesn't lie much anyway. Yujin exhaled deeply, honestly wanting to study with her.

"Ah." Minju looked up from the book, instantly making him turn around. "I have a question." she quickly ran out of his room, planting a petite smile on Yujin's face. He lazily dragged the time used for a math problem, waiting for Minju.

The girl came back in no time, going beside Yujin, and putting her workbook in front of him. "This one." she pointed at a problem, looking at Yujin who skimmed through it, hand dragging a small chair hidden under his study table.

It was placed there ever since Minju stepped into his life.

She sat down while Yujin scratched his head, arriving at an answer. "It's B." he pointed, shifting the book to her.

"You see, if you sub x..." he started teaching as usual, occasionally glancing at Minju to make sure she understands. If she doesn't, he'll explain it in a simpler way.

Doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as she gets excited upon knowing how to solve the question by herself, Yujin knows he did a great job.

Yujin leaned back into his chair. "Just memorise the steps, these questions are all repeated," he advised, earning a nod from Minju.

"You're leaving?" Yujin sat up when he saw her standing. Minju looked at him weirdly. "Why are you so clingy nowadays...?" she spoke, closing her book.

"Clingy?" Yujin cleared his throat. "Who taught you that word? Do you know what that means?" he pointed at her, seeing how she tilted her head.

"Yeah. You, Oppa. I see you every day yet you whine like a kid whenever I look like I'm leaving." Minju bluntly spoke her mind. Yujin's jaw dropped slightly, blinking.

"A kid—yah. How dare you talk to me as if I'm the same age as you." he folded his arms. "Sit down." Yujin gestured while Minju stood there, not moving an inch.

The guy dragged his hand over his face. "Please?" Yujin kindly spoke. "It's only 8." he pointed at the small clock on his table.

Minju shook her head in disbelief, sitting down. "I wasn't even going to leave. I just wanted to take that." she pointed at the comic book on his bed while Yujin blinked in confusion.

"Just watch me," he said, going back to do his work. Minju was about to stand but he held her down. Seems like someone is jealous over a book getting more attention than him.

"You said you'd let me read if I finish my work," Minju argued, frowning slightly while the guy let go of her. "Don't read those too much," he told the girl who ignored him, lying on his bed.

"It's going to set your standards too high." Yujin softly mumbled, twirling his pen, staring at the paper with a mind thinking about other stuff.




 

A few weeks later...




 

"Eomma, I'm home!" Yujin shouted through the apartment with his mother nowhere to be found.

He slips his shoes off, entering as he looked around. "Eomma?" he called, placing his bag against the coffee table, glancing to see a piece of paper on the dining table.

Curious, Yujin walked over, picking the paper up as he read.

It was paperwork for divorce.

He frowned hard, examining the conditions of this split up, not knowing why this is happening.

Part of him ignores the fact that his dad doesn't live with them anymore. A divorce would be natural for this case.

But somehow, seeing the paperwork in front of him made his mind twirl, knowing how this would mean his family would never be whole again despite having an abusive father.

Everything in his imagination turned into reality.

He continues reading, unaware of his surroundings even when knocks on the front door resonated through the house.

The custody would go to his father. Based on monetary terms and standard of living. His dad was the one who could potentially raise him better.

The law doesn't abide by relationships. To be fair, his mom nor himself reported the man for abusing his own child.

They couldn't. After all, they're one family.

"Oppa."

Yujin immediately turned around to see Minju standing behind him as he quickly flipped the document around, placing it on the table.

"Minju-ah...you're h-here." Yujin cleared his throat, puzzling the girl with his body language. "Is something wrong?"

He quickly shook his head, holding onto her shoulder. "Nothing's wrong." he started pushing Minju toward the door.

"What are you doing?" she asked, halting his actions and feeling him tremble slightly, almost unnoticeable.

"I think..." Yujin inhaled shakily. "...you should go home for today. I kinda wanna sleep early." he excused himself, pushing her out of his house.

"Oppa, it's only 5 pm," she said, noticing how his eyes quivered. "I don't want—I mean..." Yujin paused, mind processing what he just read, trying to bury his feelings deep down.

No one likes a sensitive kid. Especially when I'm a guy.

Minju pulled him out and closed the door, preventing him from entering. "Tell me," she spoke. "Something's wrong." Minju read his expression, sensing subtle hints of sadness and anger, seeing how his fists were clenching rather tightly.

Yujin kept calm. "Move, my mom's waiting for me." he tried getting her out of the way, wanting to talk to his mom but Minju stayed put.

"Can you move?" he frowned deeply, softly yelling, instantly regretting when he saw Minju flinch slightly. "I'm sorry, I just—"

The girl grabbed onto his hand and started dragging him away, walking down the stairs, straight to the playground.

Without saying a word, she brought them under the slide, going deeper where it was dark and isolated, quiet enough for no one to notice there were people there.

"You told me we'll tell everything to each other, here." Minju looked at Yujin who had his face turned away as he hastily wiped his tears.

"Are you crying?" the girl peeked, pulling him to face her. "No..." Yujin sniffed, finally facing her while Minju stared at him.

"You can cry," she said, still not knowing what happened. "I'm here." Minju gently patted his shoulder, eyes never leaving him while Yujin felt the sudden urge to break down.

Those feelings, things he has kept within him finally got released out of their cage. Things he has never wanted to share with anyone, always wanting everyone to be happy.

Those feelings he came to know about when he met Minju. The thought that even when it seems like there's no one beside you, there's always someone who cares.

That someone he then knew was someone he had to have in his life.

Yujin collapsed onto her shoulder and started sobbing quietly. His cries gradually grew louder with Minju patting his back and shoulder, the only way she knew of to comfort someone.

That's all she did.

She just sat there and let him cry without a hint of disturbance or wanting to know what happened. Just by judging from how his body shook, she knew something in him broke or a little string in his heart snapped.

She thought, finally.

He finally let his feelings out instead of constantly smiling at her even when she knew he was utterly depressed that very day.

"What am I-I going to do?" Yujin choked on his cries.

Just the thought of potentially leaving this place, the place of comfort, to live with someone who thinks nothing of him, disgusts him.

More so, kills him.

"I don't want to l-leave..." he cried harder, gripping onto Minju's hand, burrowing deeper within her shoulder. Leave? The girl glanced at him, waiting for him to calm down a little.

Yujin soon halted his cries, lifting his head off her shoulder, and wiping his tears away. "S-Sorry..." he sniffed with Minju constantly staring at him while he cooled down.

"Where are you going?" she curiously asked, seeing how he shook his head. "No—"

"Don't keep telling me there's nothing going on. You clearly have something bothering you." Minju spat out, the thought of him finally opening up being on the brink of failure. "I'm not letting you go until you tell me what's going on," she said.

Yujin fluttered his eyelids, nibbling on his lower lip out of nervousness. He has never seen this side of Minju before, the side that felt as if she has had enough.

"I d-don't know," he answered, seeing how the girl frowned slightly. "I really—my parents..." Yujin inhaled deeply.

"They're getting a divorce."

Minju froze on the spot, memories of the same thing happening to her flooding into her mind. "The thing said..." he stopped talking, clasping his hands together, fiddling with his fingers.

"I'll live with my dad if she signs the document." Yujin looked at Minju who was speechless as he sat closer to her, not wanting her to be too worried, knowing the fact that she knows what his dad has done to him.

"I'll be fine." he chuckles softly, hand patting her head while she moved away, confusing him.

"How will you be fine? You won't be fine, what are you talking about?" Minju snapped. "Tell your mom not to sign it. You don't have to leave that way, right?" she asked, seeing how his smile dropped for a slight second but it persisted.

"I don't know what she's going to do. I don't have a say in this, I'm a kid." Yujin said. "Then just tell her how he hits you."

"She knows." he sighs, leaning onto the pillar. Minju furrowed her eyebrows, slowly starting to feel annoyed.

All she knew was how Yujin decided to keep all the assaults to himself since he promised her he wasn't going to get hurt.

"You're saying your mom knows and she's not doing anything about it?" Minju looked at him with utter disbelief. "It's fine."

"It's not. Stop saying everything will be fine. You don't know." Her frown grew deeper while Yujin let out a small sigh. "He'll change." he tried keeping Minju calm, but that only added fuel to fire.

"Change? How do you know that? I saw what he did. He doesn't look like someone who'll change."

"He's my dad, Minju-ah." Yujin covered his eyes. "He's still that father everyone had when they were young."

"Then what about me?" Minju interrupted as he lifted his hand off his face.

"Let's say you'll be fine. What am I gonna do?" she intently looked at him. "You're just going to leave me here alone?"

He chuckled faintly, relieving the tension "Who said I was gonna leave you alone?" Yujin utters, gently caressing the back of her head while Minju bit down on her lip.

"I'll never leave someone I like alone."

The girl slowly looked up to meet his endearing gaze. "You like me?" Minju blinked, feeling his hand lifting off her head.

Yujin sighed softly, shifting into the corner, extending his legs forward. He asked Minju to sit back while they stare at the setting sun through the gaps.

This is probably the worst timing to tell her this but he felt like he should before things advance further.

"I know you're two years younger," Yujin said, turning to his right, seeing how Minju squinted her eyes slightly. He lifted his hand, blocking that ray of sunlight, making the girl look at him.

"But I really like you," he said. "Not as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter