How did 3 become 10?

Pleasant Imagines, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The skies flocked with pigeons, high rise buildings going into action, and it was once again, the start of another Monday blue.

A girl dragged her feet towards her desk, plopping down with a soft groan. "Minju-ah, Mr Jang called you." Hitomi, her colleague, informed with a phone in her ear, probably a client call. The said girl nodded and stood back up, not even a minute of sitting down since she arrived.

Minju sighed and straightened her attire, knocking on the door, and opening it with permission. "Ah, Kim Minju!" the girl bowed slightly, making her way towards his table.

"Good morning, Mr Jang." She greeted, tone as cold as ever, having a seat in front of him. "How's your team's project going on?"

Minju nodded slowly. "We're still trying to find an artist for the cafe promotion" He looked through some documents. "Haven't found a suitable one?" he asked while she shook her head.

"Many of them said they don't do donations." Minju sighed softly. This project they're working on would be marketing their company's new café. They're supposed to find a suitable barista who could come up with designs for them—preferably someone experienced.

As simple as it sounds, the professional ones don't have time for these little things. They deem to have more important works. "How about this?" Mr Jang shifted a document towards her, showing some designs created by the artist as well as the name of the barista—Kim Haneul.

Minju examined and leaned back into her chair. "How will we find him? He doesn't have a profile except for the designs. It'll be impossible to find him." She said, shaking her head.

"But his works fit our criteria. Cute and simple. Can be quite meticulous if given some time for the designs." Mr Jang commented, looking through the pictures. Somehow, this barista's face isn't found anywhere.

Silent artist, that's what they call these anonymous artists. But their works are well known on Instagram.

"He has a lot of followers too, good for marketing." He added, looking at Minju who inhaled deeply. "Ah...I'm sure you can do it." Mr Jang persisted while Minju had no choice but to do what he says.

"I believe you'll be able to find him. You're one of our most competent employees. Go on." He dismissed the girl while she bowed and left the office.

The moment she reached her desk, she slumped, catching the attention of her team. "What's wrong? Did he say something bad? Was our proposal bad?" Hitomi asked.

She shook her head. "He asked me to find him." Minju lazily handed her the document.

"Wah...this is gonna be hard. No one is able to find these artists. But if you can, I'll give you...my assets." Hitomi joked while Minju chuckled softly. "How long are you given?"

"Next month." Minju stretched her arms, turning on her laptop, propping it properly. "That's in..." Hitomi started counting. "Three weeks." She added.

"I'll just look at the tags. Maybe it'll lead me to some café he probably works at. There's no way he's doesn't own one with those skills of his." Minju mumbled to herself, going online and on other social media platforms to look for this particular artist.

After hours of searching, she wasn't able to get a single lead except for rumours of where this barista works at. It was time for her to head home. But that wasn't until Hitomi reminded her about something.

"Yah, Kim Minju." She popped up over the shelf of her table. "You scared me." Minju frowned, rubbing her eyes lightly, trying to keep awake.

"What?" she asked, packing up her stuff. "You didn't forget about it, did you?" Hitomi queried, making Minju look at her.

"About what?" the Japanese girl pressed her lips together. "The blind date I told you about. Oh god, you forgot. Right—I mean, when do you even remember these things." She mumbled while the girl blinked in confusion.

"Blind date?" Minju asked. "I told you last week. I have someone set up for you." Hitomi told her, earning a small nod.

"But you know it'll never work," Minju said while Hitomi shook her head. "You'll have to get over that and move on. You told me to help you and I am. Trying to." The girl forced out a smile while Minju sighed softly.

"Okay fine. Where is it?" she asked. "Down the street, that little café. They have great food, I chose it for you. He said he'll be there by 5 tomorrow. Don't be late." Minju stood up, brushing her fingers through her hair.

"5." She repeated, earning a nod. "You better put some effort into your outfit!" Hitomi half-shouted through the vicinity while the girl exited the office place.













 

Minju being Minju, she just put on something simple and casual as she made her way towards the little café Hitomi told her about. She has never really been there despite her office being a few streets away. Never thought of leaving her desk when there's people who get coffee for her anyways.

She parked her car behind the café, glancing at her watch, realising she was half an hour early. Minju walked into the café, smells of pastries and coffee greeting her senses. "Not bad." She mumbled, thinking maybe she could start looking for the barista here. But the people working are mostly women and she's looking for a man, so she gave up.

While waiting for the guy, she decided to order a cup of coffee for herself, going toward the counter. She ordered, paid, and waited for her name to be called.

She glanced out of the place, seeing the bustling roads filled with cars. Even though she's tired, she's at least willing to give her love life another try, thinking she should since work has unloaded for her a little, this time's project being easier to handle. She just needs to find a designer.

After all, when will she find someone if work is already weaved into her life? There's no such thing as no time, but, the will to do things.

"Kim Minju!"

The moment her name was called, her phone started ringing. She rummaged through her bag, walked towards the counter and just grabbed the coffee without looking, fishing her phone out of her bag.

"Thank you." she voiced her gratitude, picking up the call. She moved aside for the time being, afraid she might spill the drink while talking on the phone. She has horrible multitasking skills.

"Hello?" It was the guy she was supposed to meet.

"Hi there, I'm actually outside. I was thinking we could go somewhere else?" Minju tilted her head, looking out the glass window. "Ah..." she let out a faint smile upon seeing a tall guy standing outside with a hand in his pocket.

"It seems a little crowded in there." He said. That was true. This café is pretty popular. "Okay sure," Minju answered and hung up the phone.

She took a small glance at her coffee, seeing something odd, reaching for the door handle. There was usually supposed to be her name on the cup, but what she saw was a message.

'I never knew I'd be able to see you again after 10 years...Kim Minju.' She walked towards the guy, glancing back into the café, wondering who wrote it.

And there she saw a tall girl with hair tied up in a bun. The person she couldn't seem to forget.

"Ahn Yujin." The name escaped her lips, seeing the girl wave slightly with a bright smile on her face, almost making her forget about the guy that was standing in front of her.

"Minju-ssi?" he called out, snatching her out of her trance. "Ah, sorry." She chuckled softly.

Yujin saw who she was talking to, shoving her hands into her apron pocket, and pressing her lips together. "That must be her boyfriend." She breathed out, feeling a tap on her shoulder.

"What are you looking at?" her co-worker, Kim Chaewon, asked, looking in that direction, seeing a couple walking away from their café.

"You're jealous huh. So many couples out there but you're still single." She started tickling Yujin. "Ah unnie! When will you grow up? Stop poking me."

"Hah. Now that you've succeeded, your unnie is not important to you anymore? Is that it?" she continued tickling the latter.













 

The moment Minju reached home, she sighed heftily, dropping her shoes aside, noticing how the cup got brought back with her. She didn't know she still had it in her hands. "Why am I still holding this?" Minju wondered, tilting her head.

She settled it on the kitchen counter, going to wash up after that boring date of hers. Who knew people still have a habit of ogling at the wrong places? She definitely had a miserable time during those 2 hours.

Soon, she came out of the shower, hot steam drifting through the air with a towel wrapped around her neck. "Cold." the girl shivered, going to her fridge and pulling out some ingredients to make her dinner.

She may be staying alone with the impression of not being able to survive herself, but she's a great cook. Hitomi couldn't lie.

Minju then went towards her living room, placing the freshly cooked Kimchi stew on top of the coffee table, standing back up to grab some soju.

"Ahh." She let out a long sigh, groaning when she stretched her back, turning on the tv to catch up on the last episode of her drama. "I wonder who her father is," she mumbled, opening the soju bottle with eyes glued to the tv screen.

Minju started eating, glancing at her phone. She decided to pick it up, not knowing why she did with the mindset of working at this time.

With a hand scrolling through the barista's feed, her eyes alternately looked at the tv, another hand feeding soup to . That's probably the only multitasking she can do.

"Oh?" she squinted, noticing a new post from the account. But it wasn't barista art, it was a picture of the blue sky with two birds sitting on a landline.

This is weird. Minju tapped on the post, enlarging the picture as well as seeing what was captioned.

'I'll come and find you like how that bird found the other.'

"Sentimental," Minju remarked, realising that's how this barista captions his posts. It was all questions or answers or random conspiracies he probably wrote for the sake of captioning.

She slowly sipped on her soju, the memory of the sky photo she first took coming into her mind.

 

"Why do you keep taking pictures of the sky?" Minju asked the girl sitting beside her. "Because it's pretty," she answered, smiling softly while they both relaxed on the campus field, gazing at the blue sky with nothing bothering them.

"I should take one too then." she fished out her phone, aiming it at the sky like some old lady squinting at the brightness of her phone. "What are you doing?" the girl laughed at her composure.

"Isn't this how you took it?" Minju asked while the girl shook her head. "Capture something within that abundant blue sky," she advised, seeing how there were two birds chilling on the roof of the building.

"How about that?" she pointed, earning a nod from Minju. "Do you know why I like the sky?" the girl asked, watching how Minju pocketed her phone.

She took in a deep breath, laying back on both elbows. "Why?" Minju asked, doing the same. "Because there's no limit up there." she pointed, smiling, looking at Minju.

"Like how I don't need to make decisions, I can just fly and not think about anything." the girl stated, admiring the piece of blue canvas above her, hearing a laugh coming from Minju.

"You'll have to look out for planes, stupid. Maybe pigeons too," she said, shaking her head, earning a knuckle to her head.

 

She wished things were as simple back then with nothing getting in their way. "Why am I even thinking about that?" Minju shook her head, glancing back at the tv.

"What were you doing in those 6 months? What were you doing when we were growing apart?" the girl in the show asked the guy who sighed heftily. "You pretended not to know."

"I didn't pretend not to know. It's just...I didn't have anything to say." the guy answered.

Minju put down her phone, focusing on the drama but a certain girl kept on distracting her mind.

"I'll find my way to you."

That line slightly startled Minju who widened her eyes, the memory of that phrase being used coming into her mind.

"Aish..." she quickly turned off the tv and gathered her dishes, bringing them to the kitchen.













 

"What's up with your face?" Hitomi entered the pantry room, watching how Minju was aimlessly stirring her coffee. The girl snapped out of her trance. "Nothing."

"Nothing my foot. Your face doesn't do that when there's nothing wrong." the smaller girl chuckled, going toward the coffee machine. "My face?" Minju asked.

"Your eyebags Min. Whenever you have things bothering you, you can't sleep. I know you. We've been friends since middle school." Hitomi said, pressing the button, and ejecting the coffee from the machine.

"It's just the date yesterday," she answered, intriguing the Japanese girl. "Why, why? Do you like him? I knew you'd come to like him. With that kind of face, there's no one who would reject him." Hitomi spoke, proud of her skills in looking for a person.

Minju then slowly looked at her, pushing her head with a finger. "He was horrible," she remarked, shutting the girl up. "Why? Did I tell you he's the CEO of Lee Entertainment?"

"That's why," Minju said, sipping on her coffee, leaving Hitomi speechless. "Your standards are so high." the girl shook her head. "You should lower it a little or you'll never be able to find someone."

"Why would I have to do that for them? If they don't deserve me, then they don't." Minju sarcastically smiled.

Hitomi looked at her from head to toe, painfully agreeing with what she said. Her friend is built like some angel that fell from the sky. She should never lower her standards. But Minju's choices really show how she'll end up dying single in the future.

Hitomi followed her out, walking along the hallways toward their office. Minju suddenly stopped walking. "You know." she started, confusing the latter. "I saw someone yesterday."

Hitomi widened her eyes a little. "Who?" she curiously asked, seeing how Minju was hesitating to speak. She then examined the expression Minju always has when she thinks or talks about that particular someone.

"Hold on." the smaller girl stood properly. "You're doing that face again. I told you I never want to see you making that face again. You guys weren't even a thing." she frowned.

Minju let out a small sigh. "How do I not do that when I saw her right in front of my two eyes huh? She was right there. I thought you said she was never going to come back. She didn't even write to me." she slightly glared at Hitomi who blew out a breath.

"Where?" she asked. "That cafe. She works there." Minju brushed her hair back and continued to walk.

"Works there? She did all that just so she could work in some cafe? Wow." Hitomi scoffed softly, shaking her head. "Then? You just saw her, right? Nothing else. You don't have to think about it at all, why are you overthinking?" she blasted questions while Minju opened the office door.

"I'm not overthinking," Minju whispered, not wanting to disturb others at work. "You definitely are. Your eyebags are the reason for that." Hitomi said, sitting down at her desk.













 

"You want to know the reason for my eyebags?" Minju asked, stomping into her house with Hitomi behind her. She then hurriedly find that cup she brought home with her yesterday, shoving it into Hitomi who was closing the door.

"Damn, calm down. You're overreacting. It has been a long time since I've seen you lose your cool, Min." Hitomi held onto the cup, took off her shoes, and joined Minju on the couch.

"I'm not overreacting. You see what's written there." the girl pointed at the cup while Hitomi read it. "I never knew I'd be able to see you again...Kim Minju." she read out, snickering lightly while Minju folded her arms.

"So what?" she asked, earning an unbelievable look from Minju. "So what? What does she mean by that?" Hitomi looked at her weirdly.

"That she never knew she would be able to see you again?" she answered in an uncertain tone. Minju sighed sharply, slouching into the couch.

"There must be something within those 10 words..." she mumbled, furrowing her eyebrows and thinking hard. "No. No." Hitomi put that cup down.

"No, there's nothing. Stop thinking. You're taking everything too seriously." she lightly tapped on Minju's forehead. "That's the thing, she has always been serious about what she says." she insisted while Hitomi let out a small sigh. 

"And what about that? She suddenly came back after 10 years, coincidentally in the cafe you went to. There's nothing to it." she stated, seeing Minju drag her hands down her face. "It's just like seeing an old friend after a long time."

"She's not just some old friend," Minju mumbled, inhaling deeply. She's the one who set that standard...













 

Hitomi watched Minju eat, shoving the spoon of rice into with another hand scrolling through her phone that was on the table. "You're not thinking about her anymore, are you?" Minju looked up. It has been a week since that whole mind-bending situation.

"What makes you think I'm still doing that? I have other issues to handle now." Hitomi nodded proudly. "That's right. You don't need distractions."

"Says the one that put me up on blind dates." Minju retorted, narrowing her eyes at the phone with a spoon in . Hitomi got curious.

"What are you looking at?" she asked, also peeking at her phone. "Still trying to find him?" Hitomi asked, earning a nod.

"I sent a DM," she said, looking at Hitomi. "You sent what?"

"A DM," Minju answered. "I need to at least try talking to whoever this guy is." she implied, looking at the message that has just been read after a day.

"What did you ask?" the girl queried. "I asked if he was interested in taking up this project. Of course, I told him the details." Minju spoke, noticing how the guy was typing.

"Yah, yah. He's about to answer." she quickly tapped on Hitomi who also joined in the anticipation. "I really hope he says yes, you only have two weeks left to discuss everything," she mumbled.

KIM.0.HaNeul: Yeah sure, I'll just have to talk to my manager about it.

Minju widened her eyes, looking at Hitomi who did the same. "Was it always that simple?" she asked softly, seeing how Hitomi was on the verge of squealing.

"They always leave me on read for weeks before rejecting." Minju wondered, looking at the message again.

KIM.0.HaNeul: When do you need me to get back to you?

"Oh god, we did it!" Hitomi excitedly shook Minju who was chuckling softly. "Reply him, reply. Tell him ASAP." the Japanese girl urged while Minju did, putting down her phone after replying.

"Yah Kim Minju, if this project passes, you'll finally be promoted!" Hitomi continued shaking the girl who just didn't know how to react, never having such an easy-going client before.

The girl released her. "You better not forget about me after receiving those big bucks." Hitomi pointed, smiling again, being absolutely happy for her best friend. "I won't, I won't."













 

Minju laid down on her bed with the phone in front of her, flipping around as she lay on her stomach. "Why did he agree so quickly?" she constantly wondered, looking through his Instagram account again.

"I shouldn't be complaining," she mumbled, tapping on some of the coffee art posts. "Honestly thought he worked alone, turns out he has a manager too." Minju zoomed into the post, smiling when she saw a frog.

"Cute," she whispered, scrolling more to see how this artist loves dogs and frogs, having different designs based on them. "Wah, he even does this kind."

"Must've taken a lot of work." she sniffed, rubbing her nose, feeling cold. "I should go to bed." Minju turned off her phone, knowing how the guy is coming over to the office tomorrow.

Even though he's an anonymous artist, these artists take part in certain projects without showing their faces. Some may say it's for privacy purposes.













 

"Yah Ahn Yujin!" Chaewon smacked her with the pillow, waking the latter up. "What is it?" Yujin groaned, shifting around in bed.

"Get up, you have something important to go to." she threw the pillow onto the girl. "It's today?" Yujin asked, slowly sitting up while the latter nodded.

"Isn't the interview tomorrow?" Chaewon started dragging her out of bed, shoving her into the bathroom. "Hurry up, I'll be waiting for you in the car. You don't want to be late."













 

Hitomi grabbed a stack of papers from Minju, placed them on each seat, and got ready to meet their potential barista artist. "How do you think he'll look like?" the girl asked Minju who nicely placed bottles of water down.

Minju shook her head. "Don't get too far with that imagination of yours. He's just someone we'll be working with for a few months," she told Hitomi who pouted, dusting her hands.

"What time are they coming?" she asked, seeing Minju glance at her little wristwatch. "About 10 minutes?" Hitomi nodded while they walked out of the meeting room.

"I kinda think he'll look like those hot baristas that have a cute face but a y body." Hitomi smiled brightly. Minju shook her head, going back to their office to prepare some things before the meeting happens.












 

"Ah unnie! Why are you pushing me??" Yujin constantly fumbled around, trying to get Chaewon to release her as they made their way towards the building lift. "Because you're late Yujin-ssi," she replied with formality, weirding the girl out.

"I told you I can walk myself." Yujin took her hands off her shoulder, straightening her coat, sighing sharply. "Why? Nervous?" Chaewon asked, nudging her a little while the younger girl shook her head in disbelief.

"Why would I be nervous?" she asked, folding her arms. "Because you're the one that agreed to do this little project. I wonder why you agreed to it so easily." Chaewon mumbled, looking at the lift numbers increasing.













 

Minju prepared herself, brushing her fingers through her hair while Hitomi finished setting up the PowerPoint slides.

"Is he here yet?" the girl asked, wondering why this Mr Kim guy hasn't arrived. It has been 10 minutes since the agreed on timing.

"Just give him a while, he must've had something on earlier," Minju said, hearing the door knock.

"That must be him," Hitomi said, going towards the door to greet their guests.

"Hello, Mr Ki—"

The moment she opened the door, it revealed two individuals. But they weren't exactly what they were expecting. They were two women. She heard the taller one softly scolding the other for being late while Hitomi looked back into the room.

"Uhm. Minju-ah," she called, pointing at the door. "Why is she here?" Hitomi asked, confusing Minju who walked toward her.

"Who—" she turned to see the girl in front of her, widening her eyes slightly.

"What are you...doing here?" Minju slowly asked, heart rate gradually increasing while the girl cleared .

"The proposal? Barista art?" Yujin answered, smiling gently while Hitomi looked at Minju who visibly froze on the spot.

 

13 years ago...

"Only you'll think about getting hit by a pigeon." Yujin knuckled her head lightly, earning a slight glare from Minju.

"But you're free now. You can do whatever you want for now. There's 3 years till CSAT." Minju told the taller girl while she gazes at the sky.

Yujin shook her head. "We'll never be free Minju-ah," she said, lying on the grass patch.

Yujin pointed to the sky. "We'll all be like that eagle." Minju laid beside her, seeing how the girl was pointing at the bird that was going around in circles. "There are literally many other places it could look for food but chose to only look in this area."

Minju looked at her, confused. "No matter how wide our choices are, we'll end up going in neverending circles. That's life." Yujin laid on her arms, smiling to nowhere.

"But they do that to fly higher," Minju said, making Yujin look at her.

"Really?"

"Yeah...did you hit your head somewhere? I thought you're the smarter one here." the brunette mumbled, looking at the sky.

"Ah." Minju shifted her head. "Why did you reject him? He liked you since middle school," she asked Yujin who shook her head.

"I have no time for that." A smack landed on her forehead. Minju then laid on her stomach. "Why are you talking as if you're 40? You have plenty of time."

"I don't like playing around." Yujin shifted onto the side of her body. "I already have someone I like. Why accept other people?" Minju hummed in confusion.

"You like someone? Since when?" she asked, seeing a small smile rise upon Yujin's lips.

"Ever since I met you," she answered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter