What are you doing here?

Pleasant Imagines, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin hops onto the bed, immediately turning on her phone. There were a few notifications from the person named—My Frog. With a heart.

Her smile got wider, unlocking her phone and instantly video called her after asking if she was free.

"Baby." She giggles, finally being able to see her girlfriend's face after a good twelve hours or more.

"You're not asleep yet? It's 3 am there." Minju checks on something. Yujin stares through her phone as if she had no means to look somewhere else.

Yujin lay on her back. "When are you coming?" She wiggles her toes, hearing mumbling at the other end of the line. "I miss you. I'll always miss you. It's been six months. I need you here." She pouts, noticing how Minju was in class.

"I'll be back soon, okay? Wait for a little more." Minju whispers, resting the back of her hand against the table. "How's your day?" She asks, heart melting with how Yujin was staring at her like every other today through the phone.

"It's good. Wonyoung got top in her cohort." She lays her head on her arm, not afraid of the phone dropping onto her face. "Really?" Yujin nods.

"You? What about you?" Minju circles back the question, wanting to know how she's been doing. The older girl feels a little bad that she had to study at Harvard which is a thousand miles away from where Yujin is.

Especially when they've only started dating two years ago. It was pretty tragic remembering how Yujin didn't want to let her go. The girl almost had the urge to just keep Minju hostage just so her flight could be missed.

Nonetheless, they've been coping well with this long-distance relationship of theirs even when they thought it wouldn't work. Perhaps they had their own schedules to distract them from constantly wanting to see each other every second of the day.

"Me?" Minju hummed as the girl gently rubs her eyes. "Let me think." The older girl lightly chuckles with how she had to think, proving how she's definitely up for some shut-eye in the next few minutes.

"Ah," Yujin remembers. "I received an award." She smiles.

Minju's eyes slightly widened. "You did? What was it?"

"You know how I'm always late for class," Yujin said. The older girl could never agree more, recalling the memories of watching Yujin run into high school while she was the student councillor in charge of tardy students.

"But last week I had a reason."

"And what could that be? A kid asking you for directions?" Minju jokes, seeing how her eyes widen as if she were right. "How did you know?"

"You're kidding."

"Am not. A kid really asked me to help him find his mother." Yujin laughs, also finding it ridiculous.

Her expression falls instantly. "But it wasn't a happy thing. The lady had a cardiac arrest, but I helped her."

Minju couldn't find the words to say. Things went dark fast. "And she's fine?"

"Of course. Your girlfriend's a trained cardiologist."

"My girlfriend." Minju mumbles, fighting back a smile. "You're far from being a resident babe."

"I'm about to. Just give me two more years and I'll be treating actual people." Yujin puckers her lips proudly, smiling at the sight of Minju's beam.

"Then what award did you receive?" The older girl asked.

"The smile of that kid," Yujin answered, surprising Minju.

"I still got a demerit for being late." She lightly scratches her nose bridge, shrugging.

Minju exhales softly, knowing how the girl does anything to make others happy. It makes her wonder why would there be anyone who does things without thinking about consequences. For Yujin, the only thing that matters to her is doing the right things.

Even if it feels wrong, like missing class, she still chooses to do the more crucial things without wanting anything in return.

Who wouldn't fall for her? Minju did.

"Happy?" Minju asked, earning a nod. "Very. I saved a life that day babe." Yujin yawns briefly, sniffing.

"I'm proud of you."

The younger girl couldn't contain her smile. Minju's the only person who acknowledges her little achievements when no one ever does. Like learning to tie her shoelace after years of being unable to, she didn't know why she couldn't.

It warms her heart thinking that she finally found that someone who cares about her more than anything. Every second of her life was made meaningful with the girl around. Just when she thought she'd be alone till the day she lies within her own grave, Minju hopped into her life.

Like a frog.

It's like finding the only egg that survived in the deepest waters. It was bound to be neglected and eaten by its predators, but Minju was her protector. The little things she did only made her fall harder and is only grateful for her parents that made her into the person she is today.

A daughter. Scholar. And the most important person in someone's life where options are not needed.

"You should get some sleep. My professor's coming." Minju whispers upon the said man's arrival in the lecture hall. "Can I not join you for class?"

"You can't...you have class tomorrow and there's no way you're gonna be late again," Minju warns, hearing a small giggle. "Okay, okay. I'll sleep. Good night."

"It's morning here." Minju jokes, making Yujin laugh. She honestly doesn't want to hang up but her class is starting at any second.

"Good morning then." Yujin plays along, watching the girl shift her phone, followed by a whisper of, "I love you."

Yujin's smile mimicked the glowing sun. "I love you too." She blows a tiny flying kiss, waving her hand.

"Okay, I really need to go." Minju waves.

"Bye," Yujin said, gradually watching the girl's face disappear from her screen.

She locks her phone, turning off the small lamp before lying on her side. Yujin grabs an extra pillow, putting them between her arms and legs, imagining what it would be like if it were Minju.

All she knows is her heart was warmer than ever.

Minju hangs up the phone, grabbing her lecture notes before hearing little teases from two of her friends she met here, Yuri and Hyewon.

"I love you." They playfully mocked, slapping Minju's arm.

The girl zapped their sides as she grabs a pen, getting ready to listen but the professor was just briefing about the outline of the class.

"Yuri-ah, we shouldn't . She might cry from missing her Yujinie too much." Hyewon laughs softly, earning a small glare.

"I'll make you cry if you continue talking." Minju threatens, causing both to back off.

Yuri then remembered. "Ah, is it processed?" Minju hummed. "Ticket. Didn't you say you had an exchange program back home?"

Minju smiled, nodding. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

"Lucky." Hyewon nudges her shoulder.



 

Yujin walks along the hallway, eyes pinned on her phone. She hasn't got a text from her girl since two nights ago.

And Minju always replies to her almost immediately although she doesn't expect her to. The fact that her message only had one tick is making her worry something might be up with Minju.

Wonyoung held onto her shoulder, preventing Yujin from falling. "Unnie, you need to watch where you're going," she says, pulling Yujin back to reality.

"What's up with you? If it was someone else, you'd be scolded. You know how people are like here." she says as Yujin tucks her hair behind her ear.

"It's nothing." she shakes her head, pushing her phone into her back pocket. "Are you eating lunch?" she asks Wonyoung who nodded.

"Nako's waiting for me in the cafeteria." she gestures, earning a nod as they head to the said place.

Upon arrival, the small girl waved at the two twin towers. "It's omelette and rice today," she told the two who nodded, placing their bags on the bench.

Wonyoung stands behind Yujin, queuing up for some lunch. "Why the long face?" she asks, picking up a tray and placing a plate above it.

"Try surviving on 4 hours of sleep." Yujin chuckles faintly, reaching for some rice.

"Again? Didn't Minju unnie tell you not to stay up too late for her?"

"Yeah, but would you not if the person you love is a million

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter