Regret

Pleasant Imagines, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung woke up and glanced about to notice Liz napping peacefully on the couch of their dorm.

She reaches for the remote under Liz's arm. "Time sure flies, the kpop industry—" Wonyoung turned the accidental news channel off and lazily placed it back on the coffee table.

It has been 7 years since IVE's debut which also means, they're nearing the end of their contract. In turn, it has been 8 years ever since the disbandment of IZONE.

With IVE's busy schedule, the two twin towers never really had the time to hang out with their unnies, always winning awards once every two weeks, manifold photoshoots and concert preparations during their busy days. You could say they were it in the fourth generation, but it sure was draining. Nevertheless, they had a lot of fun promoting throughout the 7 years with the group.

Wonyoung stretched and shook the sleeping girl who whined subtly. "Go sleep in your room." she urged but the girl desperately grasped onto the blanket.

The taller girl couldn't be bothered and stood up, seeing Yujin's phone on the table. She then wondered where she went since they were having their usual, one of their last movie nights in this dorm.

She took it and dragged her feet along the hallway of their rather empty shared apartment.

When she was about a few steps away from the older girl's room, she heard sniffles wondering what was going on. But she knows, it was coming from their leader.

Wonyoung softly knocked on the wooden door as Yujin briefly wiped her tears away, hearing the door creak open with the younger one stepping in.

"Are you okay?"

Yujin felt Wonyoung's presence getting nearer and soon, a hand landed on her head with the taller girl sitting next to her on the floor. "What's wrong?"

The older girl shook her head as Wonyoung glanced down to see what she was holding on to. It was a photo of Yujin, Chaewon and Minju.

"Isn't it funny how Chaewon unnie always appears in our photos?" Yujin spoke, thinking about how every fansite's photo that had her and Minju in it, Chaewon would be idling a few inches away.

Wonyoung saw how tears were slowly welling up at the brink of her eyes, followed by a soft sniff. It must be one of those days. "Unnie, you haven't...let go of her?" she hesitantly asked but Yujin didn't really say a word, just staring at the captured memory.

"Do you think I should've been selfish instead?" Yujin softly glided her finger over her cheek, wiping her tear off. "Maybe if I had been, would things be...better?" she wondered with eyelids feeling heavy.

Everyone has been busy with their own lives. Everyone is exhausted. Yujin in particular had a really hard time managing herself, given the role of a leader in her current group.

Nevertheless, she persisted throughout and successfully led their group well with the guidance of her former leader, Kwon Eunbi.

But that was at a cost. Her being the leader, the group she loved being disbanded and her leading her own life, dream. Whenever you achieve something, there has to be a cost.

It's not money valued. To her, anything that can be bought using money was not a cost for her, she thinks of it as a reward. But she's humble.

The cost for her was sacrifice. The sacrifice of putting others before herself. Yujin has always been this kind of person.

Perfect, selfless, and nice human being. Too nice to the point she hurt herself without even knowing. Too nice that people take her for granted. But she doesn't blame anyone for those. It was her decision, all on her own.

She ever wonders, every night, if thinking about others do any good to her. Of course, it makes others happy. It makes her happy when she sees other people being happy.

But is she, really happy? She thinks she is.

But throughout the years, she unknowingly lost her smile. The smile she had when she was with a particular someone whom she knew she couldn't have.

Someone who was almost out of reach for her. Someone so near yet so far. Someone who was always there for her. Her precious unnie who has been there for her since day one. Her unnie whom she finds weird to be with, but was still enjoyable to an extent.

The person she came to really love, but it was all over when she became too nice.

She pictured her life—she wanted her life to stay like this, all smiles and laughter. You'd think that she's happy being the leader of the new group. Well, she is happy, extremely happy to be able to achieve her lifelong dream.

But why is she crying here?

Wonyoung wrapped her arm around her shoulder and slowly caressed it. "She's going over to your house tomorrow, right?" she asked and heard Yujin sobbing once again, curling into her embrace.

Wonyoung knows she misses her a lot, knowing how she always hangs out at Yujin's place whenever their schedule doesn't collide. Through the years, those frequent visits have lessened but still, the older girl makes an effort to see Yujin once in a while.

After all, Yujin was someone she adored.

"Why d-does it feel like it'll h-hurt again?" Yujin choked on her cries, thinking about the moment she'll see her.

"I'll be here, don't worry," Wonyoung whispered and glanced at the picture with Chaewon looking at Yujin who was hugging Minju.

I also wonder why you ended up like this.


Next day...

Yujin picked up a small box and settled it aside, dusting her hands after arranging some things that came from the dorm.

She glanced at her room clock and sighed, knowing the arrival of someone is nearing. She then walks to the living room, immediately getting greeted by her dog that she lifted and sat down on the couch.

"Why are you so happy today?" she asks the puppy, giving him head pats with its frantic tail wagging nonstop. "Must be because your favourite noona is coming." she booped his nose and comfortably the puppy, dazing to nowhere.

She felt as if she was about to break down. Is it really that painful to see someone you love? What worse can happen when your heart has already been shattered years ago? More so, by the person who's about to come any minute now.

Sometimes, she just really wishes she isn't that nice, respectful, or selfless person she is.

Isn't love supposed to be selfish? You'll have to be if you desperately want something. But no matter how desperate you are, some things are just not meant to be.

The thing that hurts is, even if she's able to turn back time, able to say no to that particular question, she wouldn't change a thing. Because if she did, she'll be hurting someone else instead. She doesn't want them to go through what she's going through. It's tough, she knows.

But the pain she felt, has been feeling, is just...pain. As long as it doesn't kill you, you're perfectly fine. You'll still be healthy, you'll still be able to lead a normal, splendid life with whatever you want. But you'll just have to bear with emptiness in your soul. That doesn't seem like a hard thing to do. Being filled up just makes things stuffier with undetermined burdens you carry with you.

But nevertheless, that empty spot is still filled with memories she'll always keep with her. At least that's what keeps her going in life.

Yujin heard the doorbell ringing, snapping out of her trance as the dog leapt off her lap and went straight to the door.

She stood up and took in a deep breath before walking down the hallway filled with her dog's excited barks, quietened when he felt Yujin's presence.

The reason for her visit today is...there is no specific reason. There is no need for one. For them, it's like your daily cup of coffee. You enjoy it just like how they enjoy each other's presence. Plus, Yujin's parents love the girl. They would literally wish she could enter the family in some way.

Her heart accelerates as she held onto the doorknob, unlocking it before a small gust of wind hits her face from the cold air outside. The air soon warmed up the moment a brunette appears in her line of gaze with that little smile.

Before she knew it, the girl rushed in with shivers, immediately slipping her arms around Yujin. "Yah, it's cold. Hurry close the door," she told Yujin who realised and quickly shut the door, looking at Minju who was still clinging onto her.

"Unnie, are you going to let me go?" she asked. "Hold on." Minju took in the warmth emitted by Yujin before releasing the girl who was narrowing her eyes at her.

"Why?" Minju tilted her head, taking off her shoes. "You're still like this after so long," Yujin commented, slipping her hands into her pockets before heading into the house.

"Yah." Minju hopped, kicking off her shoe and chased after the younger girl. "Why are you talking as if I wasn't here last week?" the older girl laughed softly, heading to the kitchen to pour herself some warm water. It was as if this is her second home.

"Were you? Really? All you talk about is Chaewon unnie as if I'm not here." Yujin mumbled, leaning against the dining table right outside the kitchen. Minju washed her cup and placed it back onto the rack.

"Your parents aren't home?" the older girl squatted down and patted the puppy who seemed extremely happy with Minju around. "They went out," Yujin replied and went into her room with Minju tailing behind.

"But, why'd you come today? Don't you have another audition going on? I heard it was an important one to you."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter