Beinte

The Lexicon of Pighati
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The inviting aroma of newly-brewed coffee greeted Joohyun's nostrils.

When she looked up, she saw Seulgi walking towards them, carrying a tray with cups of coffee she made for her parents and herself plus tea for Joohyun. 

"Salamat sa coffee beans na dinala mo Joohyun," she said as she set down their drinks. "Na-e-enjoy ko talaga gumawa ng kape e," she said in a cheerful tone. It changed though when she noticed that Joohyun was teary-eyed.

"Luh, ma, pa, anong pinagsasabi ninyo dito kay Joohyun at parang naiiyak?" she said.

"Hala, wala akong sinasabi a," her mom said defensively. "Ikaw ba Papa Kang, may sinabi ka kay Joohyun?"

"Wala Mama Kang, upo-upo lang ako dito e," he said and cleared his throat.

"Pumarine ka na nga lang dito anak at umupo na sa tabi namin para maipakita na natin kay Joohyun pinunta ninyo dito," her father said, successfully diverting the topic.

With her cup of coffee in her hand, Seulgi nodded and motioned to her father to show them that one piece which encapsulated the first moment in her map of memories.

It was an old newspaper clipping. 

The newspaper clipping showed a young Seulgi, her fist held high, standing among other students at Carabao Park in Elbi.

"Seulgi was questioning then why their scholarship in the school for the arts was to be changed from the Maria scholarship to something else so it would have the name of a politician attached to it," her father explained. "The name of Imelda Marcos-Romualdez to be exact."

"Ang nakakagago dun Joohyun - ," Mama Kang said and Joohyun almost choked on her tea after hearing Seulgi's mom spew that term, " - ay hindi naman galing sa kanya ang pera sa scholarship. Galing sa taxes ng tao."

"Kaya nung kinuwestiyon nila Seulgi at nung inilathala ng publication nilang m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter