A girl with a penguin slipper

Soon We'll Be Found

Chaeyoung's pov 

Why am I wearing a jumper short with a white shirt inside and a strawberry backpack? I am not a kid anymore, but okay, I look cute.

I don't know why I'm here. I'm not too fond of parties or crowded places. Ugh, I regret coming here. Anyway, if you are wondering, I'm here at my parent's reunion with their college friends, and we are here in one of their friend's houses. It's so big that it's like a mansion, maybe because they are rich. We walk through the hallway, and I'm in awe because the painting and the drawing on the walls are artistic. While looking at the picture, my mom called me.

"Chaeng, come here. I will introduce you to auntie Sachiko's daughter and son." my mom said while holding my wrist, pulling me to get closer. 

"Sachi, Chaeyoung, and Jeong hoon are finally here. Where are your daughter and son?" mom said. 

"Hello, auntie and uncle," I bowed, and when I looked down, I saw a cute slipper with a penguin design, and it is so cute. And when I looked up, I saw a girl who's hiding behind auntie Sachiko. She's wearing a black polka dots romper. 

"Your daughter is very much like you, Sun-youngah," they both chuckled, "ah, and this is my daughter, Mina, and my Son Kai," Auntie Sachiko said while caressing her daughter's hair. 

"Hello, auntie and uncle. Hi, Chaeyoung and Jeong hoon" She smiled with her gummy smile. She's beautiful without even trying. And how can I not know that auntie Sachiko had a daughter? Ah, right, because I'm an introvert. I remember that auntie Sachiko is always visiting mom in our place, but I never talk to her like talking, you know, because I'm not that kind of person. I'm just going to greet her and then go to my room after. Besides, when we have a guess, I'm always staying in my room, that's why I never see her. 

After that, we eat dinner, and now they are all chitchatting about their life. And I am here, in my world, watching them talking about life and adult stuff. Reunion , to be honest. They are all telling their story about their work and how successful they are now. Oh god, it's boring. Of course, I'm only a 13-year-old girl. How am I supposed to enjoy this kind of story? 

We're done eating now, and they are all going to the living room full of oldies like my parents, so I told my mom that if I could go to the balcony and play some games on my phone, she agreed. While I was on my way to the balcony, I saw a girl flapping her penguin slipper who was already there, sitting on a chair playing with her phone. She's so busy, and she didn't even notice that I was here. I sat in front of her and cleared my throat. Finally, she sees that I'm here. She looked at me and smiled again with her gummy smile. 

"Hi, Chaeyoung," she approaches me first. 

"H-hi, Mina," why am I stuttering? 

"Hmm, let me guess" she leaned closer to me. I gulped. Oh my god, too close, Mina! Too close! 

"You don't like crowded places aren't you?" waiting for my answer. She looks at me for a second. Chaeyoung, what is wrong with you? Say something! 

"Y-yeah. I would not say I like parties, plus they are all old. It's boring," I said, and again, I'm stuttering. 

"Well, same." she paused and got back to her position." Even if it's our house, it feels like I'm in a different place because it's crowded and making me feel uncomfortable. That's why I ended up here on the balcony. Here. Alone." oh, so this big house is their house. That is why she looks so elegant. 

"Hmm, you know what? I saw you so many times, but you are always staying in your room." right. My guess was correct. 

"Eh.. erhm uh yeah because I don't like when we have a visitor because I'm an introvert? I'm awkward." I chuckled. 

"oh, now I know. Well, same, but I'm trying my best not to be an awkward one." she smiled. "Welcome to our balcony." 

"I guess I'm going to be stuck here with you," I said. Wow, Chaeyoung, that was smooth. She just chuckled with her cute little tiny voice. I want to pinch her cheeks. 

"Do I have a choice? Let's enjoy the view here and talk about ourselves to get to know each other. I really wanna know you back then, but I don't' know how to approach you." 

We talked about schools, games, and books. I discovered that she likes to read, and her hobby is playing games. Mina is a ballet student, and she likes penguins also. We are just talking and laughing and talking some stuff. We played some games on our phones. I admire her because she is good at playing games. She taught me how to knit some clothes and a hat. She let me borrow her favorite book. And, of course, I taught her how to draw. We didn't notice that the party was over, so my parents interrupted our conversation and told me it was time to go home. 

"Chaeyoung, honey, it's time to go home." 

Mina walked us by the entrance of the door and hugged me. 

"Goodbye, auntie and uncle. Goodbye Jeonghoon. Chaeng-Chaeng, goodbye, it was nice having a time with you. I hope we can be best friends." and again, I saw the gummy smile that suits her. 

"Of course, I'll be honored to be your best friend. See you around Minari" then I waved her a Goodbye. When I was already in the car, I saw her in the same spot waiting for us to leave. When the vehicle was already moving, I opened the window and waved to her. She was smiling and waved back. I deeply sigh and grin like an idiot because I feel so much happiness. 

When we finally reached home, I went to my room, washed my body, and then changed into my pajamas. Then I lay down in my bed. I'm happy. The boring reunion turned out to be a happy one because of her. Mina. The girl with a penguin slipper.