NEW

Soon We'll Be Found

I woke up early in the morning to search for a missing piece. A missing piece? What is the puzzle anyway? I have everything: a beautiful daughter, family, money, and friends. But I am not entirely satisfied by these beacons. My shallow heart still craves excellent fulfillment. Maybe I have someone I'm missing for a long time. Yes, it's Chaeyoung. It's been eight years since she left us here and Nayeon Unnie.

I never heard any news about them because I promised myself that I'd try to move on and have a new life, but I am wrong. I was wrong. I still love her and longing for her. Yes, I am married, but it was an arranged marriage because my parents wanted me to forget Chaeyoung. They said that I better forget Chaeyoung than wait for her to come back because we both suffer and need to start a new life. At first, I was against their plan to arrange to marry me with one of their friend's sons, but I got tired of waiting for Chaeyoung, so I gave it a try. I've waited long enough, I guess. I am 5 years married now with my 5-year-old daughter. I'm happy at first, but I miss her when time goes by.

Sometimes at night, I'll suddenly be thinking about her, how is she? Does she have a family now like me? We used to plan this together, but now I achieve it without her. I have many questions and what-ifs. What if I never give up waiting for her and follow her In America? What if I didn't get married? What if I waited for more? We will be, all right and back to what we used to? I'm not happy right now, yes. I woke up before my alarm rang, thinking about my regrets and many things. The reason why I'm going on is because of my daughter. I love her so much that I'll do anything to protect her. It's hard to be a single parent. My husband Jin died in a car accident while on the way home. He knows about Chaeyoung, and he did everything to make me fall for him, but he failed, so we stayed as friends and kept going for our child's sake. He had so much respect for me because he knows how hard I have suffered since Chaeyoung left. He did everything for our family, even if he was hurting because of me. He is a good man, and I miss him. 

"Mommy, wake up!" Katarina said while shaking my body. 

"I'm already awake, my daughter," I chuckled and faced her "what is it? It's still early, and you don't have a class." 

"I want to go to a park and date you," she pouted. 

"oh really? And what's with the clinginess?" 

"I just wanted to date you because you look sad and think a lot. Are you missing dad?" 

"of course, I miss your dad so much, honey." I saw her face look like she was worried about me. "okay, we will go to the park. I'll bring you to a special park" she smiled, showing her dimples. She looks like Chaeyoung but no mole. 

"yey! And mom, where is that special park?" 

"I was going there a lot when I was a kid with my girl with my best friend." 

"girl, best friend? Where is she now, mama? And what is her name?" 

"hmm, she lives in America now, and her name is Chaeyoung" she suddenly gets up and looks in shock. 

"Chaeyoung? Mom, you called her name while you were sleeping" oh my god? Ugh! I got up and sat "okay, enough with that, kiddo, why are sounds like an adult already, huh?" I tickled her 

"Mom, stop! I get easily ticked!" she surrenders. 

"Okay, let's get up and eat breakfast so we can go to the park," I said and got up "okay, mom, let's go!" 

I fetch my phone and try to call my mom. 

"Hello, Mina?" 

"mom, are you and dad busy? We are planning to go there now." 

"no, we are not busy. Your dad goes to the grocery to fill up our fridge. I'm going to cook your favorite food. Are you going with my granddaughter?" 

"yes, mom. I'll hang up now. See you later." 

After eating breakfast and preparing to leave, I drove to my parent's house. While driving, I put down the window and feel the breeze. I miss this. I miss going here with you. How are you, Chaeyoung? I really want to know where you are or how you are, but I'm scared. I'm afraid to see that you are happy now without me. 

It took one and a half hours we arrived here at my parent's house, and I already saw my parents waiting for us. 

"Grandma!" Katarina ran to my mom and hugged her. 

"Katarina, be careful!" I shook my head and smiled, looking at my daughter and parents. 

I walk closer to them and hug them. 

"hi, mom and dad. How are you guys up to?" 

"We are okay, honey, how about you? You look tired. Aren't you sleeping enough? Katarina, is your mommy sleeping at her desk?" I look at my daughter and signaling her not to say anything. 

"yes, grandma. She is always sleeping at her desk" damn, my daughter doesn't know how to lie. I defeatedly sigh "okay, mom, please don't scold me. I'm here to relax, so please." 

"Okay, okay, but please, if you are already suffering in our company, we can-" 

"no, mom, I can handle it, okay? Sometimes, my schedule is too hectic, but I'm taking care of myself and my daughter. Besides, Jihyo and the other are helping me with Katarina." 

"Hmm, okay" 

We walk inside and sit down on the sofa. I still feel sleepy. I want to sleep." 

"Did you already hear about Chaeyoung?" my heart skipped a bit. Hearing her name makes me miss her more. 

"hmmm, what about Chaeng?" pretending not to be affected because my mom would go ballistic if she found out that I'm still not getting over with Chaeyoung. 

"She came home last week. She even visited us here. I asked her to stay here for a while, but she said she's still living with Nayeon." she chuckled and was full of excitement while I was here processing what I heard. Chaeyoung is back. I want to see her. No, you can't, Mina. 

"she said she will visit here again next week" oh, that's why Jihyo is not visiting me these past few days. 

"Mina, you are spacing out. Are you tired? Go upstairs and get some sleep. I'll take care of Katarina." 

Am I? was I? here I am again. I feel like I'm going I'm not in the right state of mind because of what I found out. I Go to my room and lay down on my bed. I fetch my phone and try to call Jihyo, but I quickly click the red button. Jihyo will never explain this because I promised her that I'd never ask her about Chaeyoung. I put my phone beside me and tried to sleep. 

"mom! Wake up! Wake up!" I woke up with a loud thud running closer to my bed and heard a voice is full of excitement. She hugged me, and I already knew she was smiling. 

"aren't we going to go to the special park, mom?" 

"What time is it now, honey?" 

"it's already 2 pm, mom, let's go! I wanna go out because I'm bored." 

"bored, huh? Where did you learn that kind of word, Katarina?" she hugged and runaway. 

"mom! Get ready. I'll tell grandma and grandpa to come with us. Love you!" this child has really Myoui blood. 

I got up and prepared myself to leave. I changed my clothes to casual clothes and went down to meet them. While walking to them, I heard them talking about something, but I couldn't understand it. 

"mom? Dad? Are you guys ready? Where is Katarina?" I asked them, and they looked so surprised and nervous at the same time. 

"o-oh Mina." she looked at dad, "yes, we are ready, and Katarina is already in the car." 

"Hmm, okay, let's go?" 

Why is It so weird? I mean, what are they talking about? While watching them hop in the car, I saw them whispering something. I'm really curious tho. 

"This is really weird." 

I started the engine and drove to the park. We talked about my childhood to Katarina while on our way. It feels so good because I miss this. I miss being happy and not thinking a lot. 

"Mina, what time are you going home?" my mom interrupted our conversation, and dad cleared his throat. 

"We are planning to go overnight to your house, mom." 

"a-ah, okay then." 

"Why are you stuttering? Do you want us to leave already? Don't you miss your daughter?" I pout 

"no, no. I'm just asking" she leaned in the driver's seat and kissed my forehead. 

"you guys are weird, huh? What is it? Tell me" 

"huh? Nothing. We are just asking," dad said. 

We had already arrived in the park, and I saw Katarina was so excited. Her smile is priceless. I told them to go first because I needed to park my car first. When I'm done parking my park, I quickly get out and find them. I called this a special park because Chaeyoung and I used to play in this park often. This is our safe haven. This park is still the same. 

"mom, where are Katarina and dad?" 

"your dad is buying some food with Katarina," she said while guiding me to sit beside her. 

"I know why you called this a special park Mina." she chuckled and faced me. "well, Sun-young and I used to go here too." her smile died, and she closed her eyes, and suddenly her tears ran down in her cheeks. 

"I miss you, Sun-youngah. How are you? I'm here in our safe haven, pabo" I wipe her tears. I know it's hard to lose a best friend and a sister to her. 

"It's been eight years since you left me here, Sun-younagh, and I'm still here trying to learn how to live without you. It's a tough one to live without you, Sun-youngah. I miss visiting you at your house, and I miss your cooking and our bonding time together. I miss you asking me how I am. I miss you comforting me in everything." I hugged her, and she cried so hard in my arm. We are both crying now because there are many memories in this park. We stayed like that for a while. After we cried, we fixed ourselves because dad and Katarina would ask what happened, and we didn't want to explain it in front of Katarina. 

"Yeobo, where is Katarina? 

"She's not here? while I was waiting for my order, she told me that she would go here first." 

I quickly stand up, and I'm panicking right now. What if she lost? What if someone took my daughter. No, Mina, please stay positive. 

"Akira, why did you let her by herself? Oh my god." 

"mom, dad, I'll find her first I know this park. Maybe she's just lost. Please find her too." 

I left them and started to run. I look near the lake, but she's not there. I'm starting to feel weak now because I can't afford to lose her. I will never forgive myself if anything happens to her. I run to the parking lot. Maybe she's waiting for us because she's lost. 

"Katarina!" she's still not here. I look around the park and call her name, and still, I can't find her. I fetched my phone and called mom and dad. 

"mom, dad, please go to the police station and report this. I'll stay maybe she come back here at the same spot please mom" I started to cry because I didn't know what to do. I have already looked in the whole park, but I cannot find her. I buried my face in my hand. I couldn't hold it anymore and cry. 

"where are you, baby. Please come back to me, please. I can't lose you too." I can't lose her. She's my life and one and the only reason why I'm living. Please, God, wherever she is, keep her safe. 

Suddenly I felt a hand caressing my head, and I looked up. 

"mom? Are you crying?" 

"oh my god, Katarina, where have you been? We have been looking for you for almost 3 hours! Are you okay? Are you hurt? Don't do that again! I was scared because I thought you would leave me too!" I hugged her tight and looked at her 

"I'm sorry, I'm so worried, baby." 

"I'm sorry mom, I told grandpa that I'd go here first, but I forgot the way, so I walked and walked till I reached the end of the park, and I saw a bunch of kids following an old guy because he has so many candies and I forgot that you guys are here. But when I realized that I was lost, I looked for you and grandma and grandpa, but you guys are not here, so I started to cry because I'm scared, but someone asked me if I was lost and helped me," she said while crying. 

"thank you, God. Thank you to that someone." I hugged her again, and I needed to ask her about that person because I needed to thank whomever she was. 

"Where is that person now, honey?" 

"there, mommy," she pointed at the person at our side, not that far. Wait, she's familiar. 

Katarina runs to that person, holds her hand, and pulls her to come on the bench. 

"Hi Mina"