The Familiar Painting

Soon We'll Be Found

Thirds Pov

Mina carries Katarina in Chaeyoung's room so her daughter can sleep properly. She tucked Katarina, fixed the blanket, and kissed her forehead. When Mina was about to get up and leave, she suddenly remembered the familiar painting. She stands up and looks for that painting. She looks at the painting one by one until she sees there and removes the blanket. 

"I remember this day." She is now smiling while touching the painting. "Of course, do you still have this painting because you promised me that you will keep this until we grow old." Mina sat on the floor while reminiscing the old days. "March 24. That day, you told me that you would stay with me until we get older, no matter what happens. I'm still holding onto that Chaeyoung." Mina is holding her tears because she doesn't want her friends to see her swollen eyes. "okay, self, let's go back to the birthday girl."

Mina quickly goes downstairs and goes to her friends, who are already drinking. They are talking about life and some stuff that they missed in each other's life. They are already drunk enough to talk about this kind of stuff. Chaeyoung, on the other side, is on the verge of crying because she really misses this kind of situation. 

"I'm sorry, guys, I'm late. Sorry if I'm not brave to face you guys back then." Chaeyoung cries. She's not sad. She is just happy to see them.

Momo walks closer to Chaeyoung and hugs her.

"oh, come on, tiger, we understand you. We waited for you, remember? We didn't forget about you or our memories. We just let you be so you can be better."

"if you only knew how much we miss you, Chaeyoung, but we can't reach you because Nayeon Unnie and we decided that it's better because you will go here in Korea anytime soon so.." Sana said. They are all holding tears because they don't want to ruin Chaeyoung's Birthday, but they see Tzuyu is crying.

"While we were waiting for you, there are times that we are gathering here at Nayeon Unnie's house and talking about our memories. We imagined that we were complete. That everything is back to normal then suddenly, Jeongyeon Unnie will cry because, to be honest, she was showing that she can handle when you two left, but the truth is she can't, and we all are." Tzuyu said while wiping her tears. "and now you guys are here now so no need to imagine that scene again." 

Chaeyoung cries and goes to Tyuzu's lap, and hugs her. The other member is crying as well, so they do a group hug. "welcome back, Chayoung and Nayeon Unnie. Please don't leave us again."

They stayed like that for an hour and continued to drink again. Chaeyoung's friends are crying and laughing at the same time as in the old days. It's already 4 am, and they are already sleeping, but Chaeyoung is still awake. She fixes Tzuyu's head and removes her hands who's wrapping around her, and she put a blanket on Tzuyu. She decided to go to the kitchen, get a coffee, and go to the balcony. Before she goes there, she peaked at her friends who were sleeping.

"This is real. This is the start of the new me."

Mina's Pov

I woke up with the smell of coffee. I'm addicted to coffee since I started working in our company because I need to stay awake all night, so I know every scent of it. I stood up and looked around to find out who's drinking coffee at this hour, but she saw all of her friends were sleeping, and Mina noticed Chaeyoung is not there. She goes to the kitchen looking for her, but Chaeyoung doesn't find the tiger in the kitchen. She makes her own coffee, and while waiting for her coffee, Suddenly, she remembers Chaeyoung's favorite spot in this house.

"The Balcony," Mina said while getting her coffee and going upstairs.

Mina is nervous, so she takes a long, deep breath and opens the door. And there she is, Chaeyoung is sitting there, drinking a coffee while reading a book. Mina walks closer to Chaeyoung and sits beside her.

"so, are you a bookworm now?" Mina asked.

"What is the problem with being a bookworm penguin?" Chaeyoung said not to bother to look at Mina.

"nothing, but I remember you hate reading because you said you are sleepy every time you are reading a book."

"I did?" Chaeyoung closes the book and looks at Mina. "You know, I realize when I was living in America that reading is not that bad." They are both smiling, and Mina is shaking her head.

"Yes, you are, and remember when we were in college? I want you to read my favorite book, Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur? Just one page, and you are already sleeping, and now you are reading one of her books. Amazing." 

"ah yeah, that one. I remember that day when I woke up. I told you that it was boring, and you threw me one of your med books, and my head was bleeding because of the impact and My god Mina why did you do that? Your book was so thick. Like.." Chaeyoung is measuring her book. "It was like a triple size of this book."

"Yahhh! You are overreacting again. For your information, your head didn't bleed! It was the lip tint that spilled in my book" Mina rolled her eyes that made Chaeyoung laugh. 

"and when I faked crying, you run to me like a penguin."

"Stop laughing, idiot." Mina pouts.

"running like a penguin with penguin slippers and pajamas. A penguin indeed." 

"and you are wearing your tiger slippers and pajamas too. A tiger indeed."

Mina and Chaeyoung are bursting into a laugh. Suddenly, Chaeyoung stops, and Mina looks at her.

"Good old days," Chaeyoung said, sipping with her coffee.

"Yes. Good old days that I will never forget till I die." Chaeyoung is now looking at her also.

"well, same. You are still the best friend that I have ever had. Regardless of what happened to us, you are still my Pengu best friend." Chaeyoung is smiling and looking at Mina's eyes.

"Mina" 

"hmmm?" 

"We already wasted half of our life suffering. Let's start again. Let's be friends again."

Mina was surprised and hurt at the same time. She was astonished that Chaeyoung initiated being friends again, and she feels pain because it's just 'FRIENDS,' but the other part of her is happy now because even if just a friend, at least she can see Chaeyoung whenever she wants to. And she will try again to win her back. Start with being friends.

"it's not that bad being friends again self. Let's take the risk." She said to herself. Mina took a deep breath and looked at Chaeyoung.

"I miss you, baby beast. Okay, let's be friends again." 

Mina and Chaeyoung stayed at the balcony and talked about what had happened to them for the past years. Mina and Chaeyoung didn't notice that it was already seven are in the morning, so when Mina saw the time, she told Chaeyoung that it was time to sleep. Chaeyoung walks Mina to her room and bids goodbye.

"Goodmorning and Goodnight, Mina." Chaeyoung Smiled.

"you too, sleep well, Chaeyoung." 

Chaeyoung closed the door, and Mina flopped her body beside Katarina and hugged her daughter. She feels so happy that she can't explain why. Same with Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung is smiling while her eyes are already closed.