Chapter 7

Fragment of Bliss

CHAPTER 7:

“Zhou eonni!” I cannot help but call her a bit loud even though she’s sitting so close to me.

Like how I remember our charismatic leader, her face quickly crumpled at my loud voice. She tsked and even moved away from me when she saw how confused I was at her presence.

My eyes quickly surveyed her as I am still in disbelief. Wearing a leather jacket, black pants, and high heeled boots–She’s looking so out of place. Especially that her hair is bright purple. 

Zhou is the leader of the group I left back in Seoul. She was from China but pursued the Korean industry in hope of being a solo singer songwriter. I remember how frightened I and my groupmates were when we heard that we’re going to be grouped with her.

Her face screams so much of dominance and she’s very scary actually but upon getting close with her, I learn that she just really acts and has that kind of aura. She has a soft heart. Whenever I have problems, she’s always there for me.

“Zhou, why are you here?” The casting manager asked her.

She smirked arrogantly before raising a brow. When she turned to me, she grabbed me on my shoulder again.

“Me? I’m here to get my member back.” My jaw dropped at her bold statement.

“Xu Yizhou, what the hell did you tell him?!” 

And I just finally snapped when I got inside her car. I decided to make her come to our house instead of talking in the cafe. She was attracting so many people because of what she’s wearing and her hair. She’s so bold to show up like that without a face mask nor a hat.

I mean, she has always been like that. Our leader is our source of confidence. Besides that she cheers us every time, she also loves boasting about us arrogantly.

“What did I say wrong?” She asked as if she’s the most innocent person on earth. “Hey, should I turn left now?” She asked regarding the way to our house.

“Not yet.” I told her quickly. “The casting manager of Han Entertainment, why did you say that you’re going to get me back? Are you crazy? What if that spread? Oh my God, how can you lie like that?”

I was getting stressed now that I remember it again.

“Who said it’s a lie?” I heard her whispering through the air but I was too occupied to think about it.

“And why are you here? Don’t you have schedules? Does the company know you’re here? How did you even know I’m here? No one knows I’m here in Gwangsa.”

“Hey, calm down. You have so many questions.” She even get to laugh now. Wow. “By the way, I almost didn't recognize you with your new haircut. Just so you know, you look better in long hair.”

“Eonni! I’m asking you. Don’t change the topic!”

“I heard you from Ahn Minhyuk. I also heard that he’s giving the Han Ent. a tip regarding where you are right now so I immediately went to him to ask about you. I cannot believe that jerk. He didn’t tell us that you two saw each other. I went to your school but the kids said you were already kidnapped somewhere by a casting manager. Dude, I had a hard time finding where you were. Do you know that?”

She went to school looking like that? I can already picture the students' reaction to her appearance. She looks like a gangster.

“How are they?” I cannot help but ask.

For a moment, she got silent.

“We’re on a hiatus as a group. I was in China for a few weeks and I just got here today. Yujin is busy writing songs and Gaeul is resting.”

Hearing my best friend's name made me smile bitterly. When I bid farewell to the group via a video call, I remember Gaeul being the most silent.

“Is Gaeul still mad at me?” I asked while looking straight at the road.

It’s not surprising that she’s angry at me. Gaeul and Minhyuk were my closest ones even before we debuted. I was the one who asked them to come with me for a kpop audition. Just like Minhyuk, I understand if Gaeul feels unfair that I left her when I was the one who pushed her to be a kpop idol.

“She’s just sulky. You know, she’s still young and doesn’t understand the world that much.” Our leader is trying to mediate between us as usual.

But Gaeul and I were the same age. She’s just younger by some months. I chuckled. The group really sees her as the maknae.

“Your family is really wealthy. I understand why your parents are so mad when you decided to be an idol.” She commented when I pointed to the house so she could stop the car.

Well, the house of my grandma here is actually the biggest one.

“We both know who’s the wealthy one here though.” I smirked as I raise my brow at her.

Her brow just twitched as if she knew it herself. She raised her head, very haughty, and had no plan to humble down herself.

Except the fact that her wealthy Chinese family spoils her to death, with her being the number one producer of our group, the royalties that she has is something to really boast about.

“Of course, it’s me.” She said with a big smile on her lips.

I rolled my eyes jokingly before opening the door of her personal car. Now that I realize she brought her personal car, maybe she didn’t tell the company she went here to me.

“Zhou eonni--” I was just about to ask her if she indeed not told the company her visit to me but she’s already walking away.

I almost cursed our very good leader when I saw her coming for Minsung who’s standing in front of our gate while holding my bike. My very charismatic leader was all smiling while nearing him. And he’s just standing there, looking directly at me, very unaware of what's about to come to him.

“What a handsome guy, who are you?” She asked with a very bright smile. Minsung’s head tilted a bit. Maybe he’s surprised with the thick makeup and the out of the world clothes of my friend.

I sneered and quickly pulled her before she could even go closer to him.

“You’re older than him. Stop it.” I told her firmly. 

She looked at me and raised a brow. formed a small ‘o’.

“I told Sua and Yeri to come later because I thought you’re still out.” He suddenly talked which made Zhou and I look at him.

“Thank you. Were you waiting here? You could’ve parked and left it here though.”

He smiled at me and shook his head. “It’s alright. You’re welcome.”

I smiled wider because of that. The moment was just ruined when I heard a small chuckle from my side. I glared at her and she immediately stopped.

“We’re going inside now. Thank you, again.” I clung my arm to Zhou eonni and almost dragged her inside the house because she was being stubborn and trying to converse with Kang Minsung.

“You didn’t even introduce me to him.”

“You just broke up with your boyfriend four months ago! How dare you look at our class president like a candy now, huh?!”

“Oh, a class president. I see. I remember watching a lot of kdramas where the protagonist is the class president.”

We were bickering while I was preparing a coffee for her and she’s sitting on the dining table.

“You two will only clash, do you understand? You’re both dominant. And clearly, he’s not interested in you.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say. Why are you so frustrated though? Do you like him?”

I stopped pouring the coffee on the mug when she suddenly said that. I looked at her with arched brows but she just chuckled as if she knew what’s up already.

“So, does the company know you’re here?” I shifted the topic.

“No. No one knows I’m here. Everyone is still clueless on where you are right now. Even the members.” 

“What’s the plan for the group now? We have recorded the song that is supposed to come out next month. You’ll have a hard time re-recording it again.” I told her because she’s the main producer of our group.

“What’s my plan for the group? My plan is to get our main dancer back.” 

I chuckled. 

“I know you’re rich as hell and that you get everything you want because you’re spoiled to death. But this is a different topic, Zhou eonni.”

“Then what’s your plan? Go to Han Ent? I already threw their business card in the trash can awhile ago.”

“I don’t have any plans to go back there. I’ll stay here like how my parents want and afterwards, I’ll go to Seoul for college.”

She stared at me without saying anything but I can clearly see the disbelief in her eyes.

“I mean, I cannot go back to the industry. My name is already destroyed to bits. I left the group without saying anything and that screams of me being guilty.

“You were deprived of defending yourself to the public. Ftown thought that being silent was the best thing to do instead of releasing a statement as soon as possible. When the issue got bigger and bigger, it was too late. It was the company’s fault, not yours.”

“The people don’t know that though. It’s still my name that is destroyed.”

She leaned on the chair and sighed loudly. I know she’s also frustrated at what happened.

“Ftown fcked up for real. Should I buy their company?” My mouth dropped when she suddenly asked. “No, I think we should just make our own label.”

I chuckled while looking at her. She looks so serious while thinking about it. 

“Hey, even if we go to another company or build a new company, the fact that I am already destroyed in the public's eyes won’t change. I will forever be seen as a bully. So don’t think about it.”

She didn’t talk but just stared at the window outside. I chuckled even more because it seems like she’s still thinking about it.

“Xu Yizhou, you’re still in a contract with Ftown for five more years. You’ll get a lawsuit if you try to breach it. Stop daydreaming about leaving the company.” I knocked on the table so I could get her attention.

She looked at me and smirked.

“I can pay though. Your parents paid for your contract, do you think my family cannot?” And her forever competitive side showed up again. “And for sure, with my family’s wealth, it won’t hurt if they will make us a label, right?”

I sighed loudly. She’s outrageous. Oh my gosh.

“I won’t go back, eonni. Just continue with the company right now. Don’t make any trouble anymore.”

For a moment, we got silent. I thought she already agreed with me but then she suddenly spoke again,

“Seo Aera,” She called me with a raised brow. “When the company prohibited you from making a statement about the issue and when they confiscated our phones, I was already trying to contact your old school to find proofs that you didn’t do it.”

My brows furrowed. I know Yizhou has connections from here and there due to her family background but I didn’t expect that she was already making a move then.

“I was just trying to keep silent about it because ftown might find out what I'm doing. My only mistake is that I didn’t tell you. Maybe if I have told you, you won’t go to your parents and beg for help. Maybe they won't get a chance to get you back and they won’t drag you here in the province.” 

I have already treated my groupmates as family. They knew that my family and I were never on good terms eversince I entered the Korean industry. They knew I never went home after becoming an idol.

Now that I think about it, I also made a mistake. It’s when I tried to ask for help from my parents. I was very hopeless, desperate, and was not in my right mind. I thought they would help me but of course, they didn’t. They even want me to out of the industry completely.

“I am your leader and the most capable of doing things on us four. Did you really think I will stay still like how our agency wants?” She said in a very serious tone. “Trust me, Seo Aera. When did I fail our group, huh?”

My jaw clenched. Yizhou is really built different. She always has a way to convince people about her decisions. She’s really an amazing leader.

“Zhou, I trust you all the way but what if I’ll be the reason for the group to fail? You three didn’t train for this. When you enter the industry, your priority is to debut and become succesful. Not to help and save me from this thing.”

“Seo Aera-yah, you knew I came here in Korea to be a soloist, not to be part of a four-membered group. They scouted me in China saying I’ll be a soloist.”

I avoided glances with her because I know what she meant. Before she even left China, she was already a known artist in her country. Maybe because her family’s business is also a talent agency that’s why she got interested in being an idol. 

“But when I was told that I will be the leader of a group, I made a condition with the company. It’s that I will choose who I will debut with. I picked every one of you objectively. I considered the dynamics, balance, advantages, and all the things just so we’ll succeed. I made songs thinking of everyone’s strengths and flaws. Right now, I’m not only speaking as your friend but as a leader of LightSky. I didn't fly all the way here in Korea, learned your cultural and language, just to be an average known kpop group. I want us to be the best. I will only succeed if the members are complete.”

Among all the members, I am the only one who knows about that condition with the company and it never left my mind. I remember being so motivated about working so hard because I was touched that she thinks I’m talented enough to be part of that kind of group she has in mind. And that feeling is rising on my veins again.

Bits by bits, she’s starting to change my mind and I’m scared of it.

“Hmm… Well, actually, I do understand why you are this scared. Knowing your parents, you’ll be disowned if you come back to us. I know you’re also scared the group will fail. While on the other hand, your future is already secured if you follow your parents. With their big company being inherited to you, dude, you’ll be laying on a bed filled with money.” She suddenly said while I’m walking her towards the outside of the house. Zhou eonni decided to go home right after a manager called about her whereabouts.

For a moment, I stopped and looked at her. With her blatant words, she’s starting to confuse me now. I know she’s just stating what’s on her mind but the half of me that wants to go back to the industry is getting confused now.

Dude, I didn’t even think about that but now that she said it...I’m very sure I’ll be disowned.

“But don’t worry, if you’ll be disowned by your parents after re-debuting with us, my family will take you. Remember that they love you more than me. They won’t think twice to put you on our family registration” She said and laughed. “Did you know they withdrew half of their stocks in the company right after you left? I think they forgot that I am their daughter, not you.”

“Then should I start learning Chinese?”

“You should.” She answered right away.

“If I’ll be adopted by the Xu family, do you think they’ll choose me to be the heiress of their company instead of you?”

“Shut up.” Zhou pushed me on my shoulder lightly which made me laugh a bit.

She just rolled her eyes and sneered at me.

“You changed, huh? Even though your jokes are still lame, you’re not as chaotic as before.” She said while looking around and fishing for something in her pocket. “Here,” 

She pulled my hand, opened my palm, and put two things on it. My eyes sharpen when I realize what those are.

“The people who went to the dorm to get your things didn’t find these. Your things are scattered in the living room, that's why.”

I just nodded to her and smiled a bit.

It was my small black digital camera and my favorite red lipstick. Flashbacks came through my mind even though I haven’t checked the digicam yet.

“Thank you.” 

“I’ll be going now. Manager oppa is mad, she cannot contact me through kakao. The internet connection here . I’ll come back here to mess with your decision more. Gaeul and Yujin are waiting for me at the dorm right now. I’ll call you so answer it, alright?”

She hugged me tightly and even tried to kiss me on my cheeks. I quickly pushed her away which made her laugh loudly. I waved at her as her car went away.

When I looked back at the things on my hand, I sighed. That girl knows how to mess with me really hard.

How can I look at the pictures I captured in this digicam? From our trainee days, to the last birthday celebration a member had, I recorded everything using this camera. I would cry a river again if I open this.

“I really hate her.”

What am I gonna do with this bold red lipstick, huh? How can I even use this here in the province? And to think I’m just a high school student?

Like a mad woman, I laughed in the middle of the road.

It was 3pm when Yeri and Sua rang the bell of the house. I made them listen to several songs that we can use for the performance and wow, they picked the song with the hardest choreography. In the end, with our very little time to practice, I had to adjust the choreography to some basic and easy moves.

“Is the talent show that serious that we have to think of what to wear?” I asked when I heard them talking about what they’ll wear while I was getting water from the fridge for them. They were so exhausted already although we’re just practicing for half an hour. 

“Yes! It’s really competitive. It’s going to happen at night and there will be a stage. All the students will gather and watch. I hope we beat Yoo Yoojung’s team, they’ve been the consecutive winners now. I want a new smartphone, you know.” Sua stated.

I sighed. Then it’s really a competition, huh?

I went to my room and brought my big luggage out to the living room. The girls were surprised at the sudden appearance of the luggage that was still filled with clothes.

“You’re here for a long time now yet you haven’t organized your clothes?” Yeri asked.

Both of them sat near me as I shoveled all the clothes out of the luggage.

“It’s not like I can use these clothes here…” I whispered through the air.

The clothes are from my dormitory back when I was still with Zhou and the other members. It’s something I cannot wear on a daily basis, more so here in the province. It just doesn’t sit right. One of the reasons I also bought a lot of clo in the market last time.

These are what I wear whenever I go to tv stations and airports.

“Hey! Now, I remember what happened at school earlier. Minsung rejected the offer to be a celebrity. What about you? You were casted by the man, right? Did you accept it? You even left with his car. Did you already sign a contract?”

I froze for a second. I didn’t expect the question and same as them, I almost forgot that they saw me coming between Minsung and the casting manager awhile ago.

“I declined as well.” I said and avoided glances.

I drank from the bottled water.

“Really? Why? That’s a big offer! Don’t you want to be seen on television?!” Yeri suddenly stood up and went to me.

I chuckled when her face zoomed in on mine. She looks so shocked at my decision.

“That company is not good at handling their talents.” 

“Really? But I think Yoo Yoojung is really interested in them. I heard from the class 2 that she’ll really go to Seoul to audition next weekend.” 

My eyes widened. She’ll go to Seoul?

“Maybe you’re popular even back in Seoul. You’re even casted here in the province, what more in the city, huh?” Sua was already thinking of things.

“Well, Seo Aera is a full package. She’s beautiful, a good singer, and she dances really well too.” Yeri shrugged.

I just chuckled and shook my head.

“Should I try becoming an idol then?”

Should I go back?