Chapter 14

Fragment of Bliss

CHAPTER 14:

After the meeting in the company, Yujin eonni suggested we eat and drink in our favorite nearby pub. We immediately agreed to it, especially that we want to unwind due to the very hectic schedule because of our promotions. 

Gaeul was in a good mood that she volunteered to pay for tonight. We went to our lounge area in the building to get her bag. I was busy telling them what we should order in the pub while we’re on the hallway when a door from the side suddenly opened and the director and his entourage went out.

I quickly stopped talking about food. We bowed in chorus. 

“Oh, you guys haven’t gone home yet?” The director smiled widely at us. Now that we see him outside the conference room, he emits fatherly vibes.

“We’re planning to go to a nearby pub, Director Kang.” Yujin answered. We quickly turned to her with widened eyes. The group was speechless at her honest answer. “Would you want to go with us, Sir?” And she even invited him!

I chuckled nervously. Director Kang agreed to come with us, along his entourage. Our jaws dropped while Yujin clapped.

I mean, it’s not like we don’t want them to come with us but we plan to drink! And not just drink but DRINK. It’s not like we can get drunk in front of our newly appointed director and his staff. When we got inside our company’s car to go to the pub, Zhou and Gaeul quickly told Yujin about it. Our goodness eonni then finally realized what she had done.

“Dude, you’re the one who keeps talking about alcohol ever since we decided to go to a pub and then you suddenly invited them!” Gaeul, her forever foe, is loud again.

“Stop already. We’ll just buy drinks and have it in the dorm.” I told them because our oldest and youngest are ready to bicker again. “Oppa, let’s stop in a convenience store later after eating, I’ll buy the girls drinks.” I told our manager that is busy driving besides Zhou.

“Girls, you have an interview tomorrow for lunch. Please don’t get too drunk tonight. You’re still not finished promoting your song.” Our manager said in a stressed tone after realizing what we’re planning.

He knows we go all out whenever the four of us drink. It’s his biggest nightmare whenever we drink outside but because we’ve been close for years, he cannot help but indulge us. Giwon oppa has been our manager even when we’re still active in Ftown but because he was scouted by our new company, he’s still our manager now.

“When did we ever cause a problem in broadcast after drinking, oppa? Don’t worry, alright. The schedule is still for lunch, we’ll not be late.” Zhou told our manager with a bright smile. Giwon oppa shook his head, not falling to our leader’s words.

Inside the pub, there’s no many people. This is one of the reasons why it's the group’s favorite place besides that they serve really tasty foods. Actually, the staff here already know us as regulars here.

“You guys order all you want, it’s on me tonight.” Director Kang said and then laughed heartily. 

Gaeul cheered the loudest at our Director’s announcement, knowing that she won’t need to pay for tonight like how we actually planned it. I ordered some dishes that the gang will enjoy. Our manager is busy talking with the other staff of the director. When I looked at the Director, he was already busy telling some orders.

When I started hearing how much alcohol he ordered, I quickly glanced at Gaeul who’s beside me. Our maknae looks so tempted at the many orders of soju. I chuckled when even Zhou and Yujin glanced at each other.

“Director Kang, that’s a lot of alcohol.” Our manager was the one who said it.

“Why? Won’t you all drink? We’re in a pub, we shouldn’t just eat here. Let us also drink until we can.” He again laughed loudly like how Santa Claus would do. Giwon oppa looked in our way and we immediately stopped smiling. “What’s the girls schedule for tomorrow?” He asked our manager.

“W-well, they have an group interview in the afternoon for a youtube–”

“Eyy, that’s afternoon! They can drink if they want. Do you guys want to drink?” He turned to us. We unconsciously looked at our leader. Zhou blinked twice before turning to our manager. “Hey, are you not letting the girls drink, Giwon-ah? Let them breathe a bit. They’re busy with their promotions.”

The three girls flashed smiles when they heard the director scolding our manager. I chuckled and shook my head. Manager oppa’s eyes widened in shock.

“Director Kang, I don’t forbid them. These girls are very spoiled though.” Giwon oppa starts defending himself. He’s telling the truth though. Our manager who’s in his mid-thirties has never been that strict to us. The group treats him as an older brother.

“Girls, eat a lot and drink only until you can. Your schedule is not for tv broadcast so it’s fine.” Director Kang turned to us and ignored Giwon oppa’s reason in a joking manner.

We slowly learn that the new Director is the friendly kind. Although he looks intimidating at first glance, when he starts laughing and smiling, he looks like a proud father. He looks close with his staff. Even our members and manager finds him comfortable enough that they start to have a chit chat with him.

“It still feels weird to talk Korean all day again. I only get to speak our native language in China whenever I call my family.” 

“Your family is in Korea, Director Kang?”

“Well, my two sons are studying here. And my wife’s work is here as well. I only get to go home on holidays. I feel sorry because I cannot be with them all the time. That's why when I heard that President Xu wants to appoint me as a director in the sub-label here in Korea, I didn’t think twice and accepted it.”

I heard them talking while I was busy eating. I eat the slowest in the group so I tend to always be last in the table. I think I also got too focused on eating that the next time I raised my head to look at the girls, almost everyone's tipsy. Even the director and his staff looked a little drunk.

“No, but seriously, Director Kang. I cannot believe people think I bullied the former director. I have seen a gossip surfacing in the internet that I kicked the director out because I don’t like him. It’s not like I don’t like him! I just don’t like the idea he presented in our last meeting. I didn’t kick him out! Do they think that just because I’m the daughter of Xu’s, I can do anything I want?” 

My jaw dropped when I saw Zhou eonni start ranting to the Director. Her cheeks were redden as hell. The director was attentively listening to her and even nodding. 

“And dude, I didn’t even tell my parents about that. I only ranted about it to Director Yining because she’s my older sister. I didn’t think she would look at it as a business woman. And do people seriously think that my parents would kick him out just because I don’t like him? They’re not dumbs! Xu family has been in the business industry even before I was born, it’s more likely I’ll get kicked out of the company if I make terrible mistakes.”

“I mean, you’re right. And they didn’t kick Ahn Ikjun, he was just reinstated to China's branch.” The director answered her. 

I was just about to call my manager to snap her to reality but to my surprise, when I turned to his direction, he got drunk as well!

“Oh, Seo Aera!” The director suddenly called me. Everyone looked at me because of that. He even raised his hand in the air as if asking for a high five.

Awkward and very slow, I raised my hand to meet his. He clapped his hand as if a child.

“You’re really a silent kid, I almost forgot you’re here too.” He added. 

I chuckled awkwardly again. Oh my Gosh, I was already thinking on how everyone would go home in this state. Even our manager who should drive us home is drunk!

“She’s silent because she usually zones out.” Gaeul suddenly said and then chuckled.

She’s drunk. Her eyes were already sleepy and even though we’re just sitting, she’s swaying all by herself. I grabbed the glass filled with water and gave it to her.

“Aera-yah, would you mind if I set you up on a blind date with my oldest son?” The director suddenly said out of the blue. “My son is very intelligent and handsome! You're the same age and he’s currently a student in Seoul National University. He’ll attend law school after finishing his bachelor degree right now. What do you think?” 

Zhou chuckled. Yujin exclaimed and even clapped her hands. Instead of thinking how to answer the director, I got more anxious at what the two drunk eonni may say.

“Huh? I’ve researched about the company and your group before I got back here in Korea. I know that you guys don’t have a dating ban anymore. You’re all free to date but just keep it a secret.” The Director talked. He looked confused at the two girls' reactions. “Oh, wait. Does she have a boyfriend already? Oh, I’m sorry–”

“Wow, Director Kang! Why is it that it’s always Seo Aera you guys want to introduce to your family member, huh?” Yujin was the first one to talk. “We also want to be introduced to someone. We’re all single right now. If you want to introduce a member to someone, at least be fair and make everyone of us be introduced to someone too.” 

My jaw dropped. I suddenly want to cover especially that her voice is getting louder and that the other table might hear us. Good lord, we’re still idols and in the middle of promotion, I don’t want us to be in the news tomorrow for being desperate to date!

“Let me tell you, Director Kang Sungyeol. Every month, this kid talks to a few relatives of celebrities, mc, and even pd. I think Aera has even memorized her lines whenever people ask her to talk to someone on the phone. She’s tired of blind dates, invitations, and such things.” Zhou said. She was about to drink another shot of soju but I snatched it out of her hand.

She had too much! And she has talked too much as well!

“But seriously, why does everyone want to introduce Aera to their relatives and friends? As someone who has a sibling in Aera’s age, I don’t want to introduce him to Aera. She is too popular with boys, my brother will only get stressed!” Yujin starts talking again.

“W-Well, my son likes Seo Aera so much. He is a fan of Aera.”

“Director Kang! Director Kang!” Gaeul raised her hand while calling the director’s attention.

The three girls are all over the place, I don’t know who to make silent first.

“A nephew of the director of NewTv works in NASA and was introduced to her. She still declines the blind date because she said she's busy with schedules.” Now I cannot really help but cover .

I’m already stressed because I don’t know how to decline the director’s offer about his son and now, Gaeul even spilled how I usually turn down offers of blind dates. To be honest, ever since I came back here in the industry, I didn’t have any time to think of anything about this. It’s my second chance as an idol, I don’t want to ruin my image by being linked to guys again. 

I became so careful that I limited myself even in variety shows. In our group, I was one of the most active ones in variety shows before, back when we were rookies. Now that we came back, I became the most silent one whenever we’re on tv shows and such.

I don’t know. I feel like any action I’ll do will just result in destroying myself to the public. I’d rather show them myself performing on the stage rather than being the entertainer in the group.

I was the most thankful when their talk started going away from me when a staff tackled about how the company stock soared high yesterday. I silently kept the shot glass away from the girls but they were stubborn and kept drinking. 

I just know they’ll regret this tomorrow. I mean, we normally drink together but now that I see them drunk and I’m not, I realize how ugly they look if drunk. A staff gave me a shot but I declined because our good manager is already sleeping due to alcohol, there’s no one who’ll drive for the group so I’ll just keep my sanity for tonight.

Few more bottles were placed on the table and everyone got knocked out. I sighed as I watched everyone almost sleeping. I was busy calling for taxi through my phone for the staffs when I saw a phone vibrating on the table, in front of the Director.

My beloved first born son. I read the caller ID even though the phone is upside down on my side. I watched the director who’s already bowing his head and murmuring things out of drunkenness while asleep.

I think it’s rude to answer someone else’s phone so I decided to ignore it. The phone kept ringing and I think his son is calling for the fifth time already. I was still hesitating to answer it but I realized I should answer it because his family might be worried about him already .

“Dad, I kept calling you so many times. Why didn’t you answer? Mom is already angry.” A baritone and low voice welcomed me when I answered the call. The director’s son sounds frustrated and worried that for a moment, I hesitated to tell him that his father is dead drunk.

“Hello…” I said while awkwardly smiling. Some seconds passed and he didn’t talk. Will he get angry at me? 

“Who’s this?” His voice calmed.

“Oh, sorry. This is actually an employee from XS Entertainment. Your father is here with us in the pub and he’s actually drunk already, that's why he didn’t get to answer your call…” 

“Where is the pub?”

“It’s near the company building. Don’t worry, his driver is outside. Your father will arrive in your home safe and sound–”

“I’ll get him. Wait for me.” 

My eyebrow furrowed. He ended the call while sounding rushing. Why would he have to come here when his father has his own car and driver? I shrugged the question off and continued calling for cabs through my phone. There are four staff and fortunately one of them is still somehow conscious. He helped me by asking the drunken staffs' addresses even if they are half asleep already. 

For our manager, we know where he is residing so it wasn’t pain in the as_. 

One by one, the cabs I called for the staffs and our manager arrived. Our manager’s cab was the last one who arrived, so after it, I stretched while outside the pub. I don’t usually clean the aftermath of the drunk peeps because I’m usually one of those who are drunk.

Now that I experienced how to clean up the aftermath, I salute my manager for taking care of us.

I saw the director’s car slowly approaching the front of the pub and along with it, a black car following on its back. My eyes slit when I saw a familiar lean and tall man coming out from the car in the back. The driver of the director’s car went out.

A man walked towards the driver as if he’s walking on a runway. I gasped when I finally recognized the man. I remember how much I avoided him back then because of his aura and now that I see him again, sporting that two block haircut and serious face, I immediately looked away.

He looks so handsome yet dangerous.

He talked a bit with the driver before his eyes finally met mine. He looked taken aback for a moment when he saw me but then regained his composure immediately.

Does he still remember me?

He slowly approached me and I was so mesmerized that I didn't get to look away again. As he walks towards me, I get to notice his facial features more. His face became more mature, the bones in his face became more defined, and he looks so much cooler than ever.

He was just wearing a normal turtleneck sweater but it looks like he is modeling for it. 

I’ve seen so many handsome guys in this industry but I realize he was really different. Even after all these years, I still find him different. There’s something special about him for me that….

My brows furrowed when I realized what I was thinking a while ago.

“Seo Aera,”

I snapped out of it when he stopped in front of me and smiled. That smile. That smile again! He smiled and the snobbiness in his face quickly wiped out.

“You remember me?” It was the first words that came out of my mouth when I realized he remembers my name…and he remembers to smile at me so I can feel less scared of him. 

By just calling my name and with just a smile, flash of memories I have with him came rushing through my mind. 

He chuckled. My stomach felt funny.

“How can I not remember you?” He said with a small smirk. A small smile quickly brushed my lips. For a moment, I forgot that we are in the public and I’m an idol. “You? Have you forgotten about me?”

Who can forget you, Kang Minsung?

I was smiling like an idiot when I suddenly got hit by a realization. I quickly turned to the car in front and the car he drove a while ago.

“Hey,” 

“Hmm?” He murmured and looked at where I’m looking.

“Don’t tell me…you’re Director Kang’s son?” I asked in an unsure tone and in shock.

His eyebrow raised. The side of his lips lifted.

“You didn’t recognize my voice again, huh?” 

“H-huh?”

He stared at me for a second and then chuckled as if he’s really happy.

“Wait, my father didn’t say something absurd, right?” He suddenly sounded serious.

Absurd. Now I remember his father wanting us to have a blind date. He even said that Kang Minsung likes me. I scoffed. Yeah, absurd.

He said you’re my fan. I think he misunderstood that you like me. I want to tell him that but I’m scared I’ll sound disappointed and bitter.

“He’s just drunk.”

He’s my fan? Maybe he just got curious about what happened to his classmate back then that’s why  he researched about me. And so his parents thought he was interested in me. 

“You didn’t tell me your father is a producer. “ I said as he follow me inside the pub to get his dad. I remember him telling me about his mother but not his father. 

“We talked about how I can help you be an idol back then. Although my father is a producer, he’s based in China. He wouldn’t be any help if you want to be an idol here in Korea.” At first, I got puzzled at what he was talking about, not until I remembered that specific conversation we had about his family back then. I cannot believe he even remembered that time.

His IQ is really above average, huh?

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I was actually an idol back then.” I smoothly said before finally arriving at our table.

Actually, I kind of feel guilty about not telling him anything. He was one of my best people in Gwangsa. He became a very special friend to me. I have told him numerous times I wanted to be an idol and he always supported me about it. He even offered his mother’s connection in the industry to me.

“I understand why you did that.” He answered softly and smiled before looking down. “Oh, dad, why’d you have to do this to yourself. Mom’s gonna kill you.” He said when he saw his father bowing his head and almost snoring in front of the table.

I helped him to get his father up. He saw my three friends all wasted as well. He blinked twice and looked at me.

“How will you get home?” He asked while trying to balance his father who is still dead drunk.

“Our company car is parked outside. I can drive for us, don’t worry.” 

“Didn’t you drink too?”

“...I did. A bit.”

“Wait for me here, I’ll drive for you.”

“H-Huh?” I was just about to refuse his offer but he already turned away while carrying his father’s arm.

Like a good child, I sat back to my seat and waited for him like how he wanted. I was already thinking of how to refuse his offer when he got back when I suddenly realize what’s happening right now.

Wow. Kang Minsung is here.

After all the years that we didn’t see each other, he’s here and even offered to drive us home.

We should be awkward, right? I mean, I left them in Gwangsa back then without any explanation on who I really was. He should even be angry at me because I didn’t tell him that I am an idol but then, he said it’s fine and he understands why I did that.

“Hey, I can drive for the girls. I have a license and I just took one shot of soju. I’m definitely sane.” When he got back, I told him immediately like how I rehearsed in my mind.

His eyebrow raised again.

“I’ll drive you home. You can look at my driver’s license if you’re hesitating about my driving skills.”

My lips parted and I quickly waved my hands.

“That’s not what I mean. I just don’t want to bother you. A-And you brought a car! What will you do with your car outside if you’re going to drive us to our dorm?”

“I’ve parked it in a safe space. I can go back here tomorrow to get it. Don’t worry about me. Where’s your car key, Aera-yah?”

He looks so firm about it and I know I cannot change his mind. Maybe I also want to be with him for a moment. That's why I just went along with his decision. We put the three girls in the back of the car while I sat beside the driver’s seat.

“Your dad said you’re a student at Seoul National University. Congrats, your dream is going as planned.” I said while he was driving when I remember his father’s words a while ago.

“You, too. Congratulations that you became the best girl group of this generation. I’m so proud of you.” He said that made me taken aback. 

He’s proud of me.

That…sounds so nice.

Slowly, a smile starts growing on my lips. Those words are my favorite words and I seldomly hear people tell me that. I just love how Kang Minsung can say that to me. It sounds much more sweet and beautiful when it comes from him.

“How’s grandma and grandpa? I didn’t get a chance to bid farewell to them back then so…”

“It’s fine. I told them you’re in a situation and they understood about it. Right now, grandma and grandpa are still in Gwangsa. Grandpa caught a cold last week but he’s already fine now.” I sighed in relief at that. At least I know they are fine.

“What about Minho?” I asked after I remember his cute little brother.

“Minho’s doing good. He’s also studying here in Seoul.” I nodded. “What about me? Won’t you ask how I am?” He suddenly said that made me look at him. He chuckled and quickly shook his head. “Hmm. But did my father say something about me? Whenever he's drunk, he always talk about me. I hope he didn't...”

I chuckled when his father's drunken expression flashed on my mind. 

“He didn’t say much. He was just proud that you're preparing to take law school after finishing your degree right now.”

We sounded like how we normally talked before. It feels so nostalgic that we can have a conversation as light as this. I remember how we chatted at his grandparents' home back then. Even when he’s walking me to my house back then, I remember conversing with him endlessly about random things.

When we started nearing the building we live in, I wished time could freeze for a moment. I missed talking with this guy but it is all ending too fast. The smile on my face slowly faded when he started hitting the brake of the car.

He sighed deeply when we finally stopped at our parking space.

“We’re here.” He even said.

I nodded and took the seatbelt off. I went to the back of the car to wake the girls. They were still drunk but at least now, they can manage to stand and walk. For the last time, I turn to Minsung.

“It was nice to meet you again. You grew a lot.” He chuckled at my words. I smiled a bit. He looks so gorgeous when smiling. Now that I remember it, he doesn’t smile usually. 

I love the idea that his smile is expensive and I am the only one who can afford it. I chuckled at my own crazy thoughts.

“Goodbye.” I said slowly knowing that this is maybe the last time we can meet again.

“Right…” He said and then slowly nodded his head as if he’s accepting my words. “It’s nice to see you again, Seo Aera. Goodbye.”

His face when I left Gwangsa flashed on my mind and it’s the same expression he had back then to what I’m seeing here again. I had the urge to keep in contact with him but I was scared that if I did, I'd be crazy.

“We’ll go now.”

It could’ve been a perfect beautiful farewell only if my friends here didn’t cut the vibe by puking on the side of the parking area. It was so embarrassing but Minsung was still on my mind even after I tuck all of them in their beds.

I went to my bed that night and set my mind into thinking that what happened today was just a dream. A beautiful dream that may not come again.

But there’s a little me that hopes that we’ll see each other again. I hope to see him again.