Chapter 9

Fragment of Bliss

CHAPTER 9:

I woke up at 6am the next day due to my alarm. I’ll have to leave early because of the school trip but I’m surprised that the two girls I’m with in the bed last night were nowhere to be found inside my room anymore. I sighed while I heard loud voices from the living room. Early in the morning and I am already hearing them arguing.

I’m in the middle of finding it heart fluttering because it felt like I’m back with the group and finding it heartbreaking because I know that they’ll leave the house already. Why do these girls need to come here and be chaotic in the house? I'll miss them so much again. I hate them.

“We bought foods from the nearby store. Cook for us.” Gaeul ordered that made me raise a brow.

“How did you find a store? Who did you go with?”

“Don’t worry, I didn’t go with them. No one saw a pinked hair goddess strolling around the field. Zhou and her went outside.” Yujin eonni talked while sitting comfortably on the couch while watching television. “Do you only have public tv stations here?” She even asked while eating snacks as she searched for channels using the remote.

Gaeul and Yujin have already taken a shower and are now just waiting for Zhou to finish taking a bath. While the two girls argued over the channel on the television, I obliged to our maknae’s command already.

I cooked breakfast for them and we ate it together like the old times. They saw the big luggage on my room that is filled with the clothes I used to wear back in Seoul. I decided to give them the clothes. It’s not like I can wear those here anyway.

“This one is the limited edition blazer from your favorite fashion brand, right? Are you sure you’re giving this as well?” Zhou was standing inside my room as soon as I opened my door.

After coming out from the shower, the girls are still busy fighting for clothes in the luggage. As usual, Gaeul and Yujin are arguing loudly. Zhou eonni was sitting on my bed with a pile of clothes on her side. She already secured clothes but the two are still at war.

“I cannot use those here. It’s fine.” I just nodded to her. 

She shrugged and kept the blazer on the pile of clothes she has.

“Hop in, I’ll drive you to your school.” Zhou said when we got out of the house and they start preparing their cars.

“I’ll ride in Zhou eonni’s car!” Gaeul quickly raised her hand.

Yujin eonni screamed at her beloved dongsaeng but Gaeul already sprinted towards the white sedan. I chuckled as she hurriedly opened the door of the backseat of the car.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll be going with my friends to school. You can go already.” I said which made Gaeul stop getting inside the car. She pouted and weakly closed the door of Zhou’s car before nearing me and clinging her arm to mine.

“You didn’t prepare any food or snacks for your school trip. Buy something later. Don’t make yourself hungry.” Yujin snatched my hand and quickly put pocket money on my palm.

I laughed loudly. I found it really funny but actually, I liked it. She gave me money! Who wouldn’t like that?!

“Thank you.” I said and smiled widely at her.

She just rolled her eyes to me as if I’m being a bother to her. Oh, acting tsundere and all after squeezing me with her hugs all night, huh?

“I was actually going to prepare my snacks for the school trip today but Zhou eonni gave me a handful of snacks yesterday. And then she gave it to our class president anyway so now I ended up with nothing.” 

Zhou scoffed and hit my arm lightly.

“It’s for your own sake. I need someone to look over you here once you’re being oppressed. Everyone thinks you're a bully when I don’t think you can even punch strong.” She defended.

“Go already. Your managers will go crazy when they found out you're not at the dorm.”

“They’ll go crazier when they found out what the group is planning now.” Gaeul sneered and even shook her head slowly.

One by one, they start bidding farewell to me. Yujin hugged me first. It was a long warm tight hug which made Gaeul push her just to end the cringey farewell. Gaeul ended up being the same though. She even tried to kiss me which made me push her. In the end, Zhou really kissed me on the cheek while I was busy watching Yujin and Gaeul bicker in the background.

“I hate all of you.” I said disgustingly while I wipe her lipstick out of my cheek. They just laughed at it.

They knew I hate this kind of skinship, more so with them. That familiar love-hate relationship with the group mixed my feelings to the point I questioned myself if I’m starting to like them teasing me like this or if it's just because I really miss being with them.

“Seo Aera!”

Because of the loud calling of my name, everyone turned to the direction of Sua and Yeri, who were on their bicycle. They slowly approached us on the side of the road. The two girls looked so astonished when they finally stopped in front of me with the three girls clinging all over me.

I chuckled when their eyes directed to our main visual, Park Yujin. The pink haired eonni was smiling from ear to ear at them. Her neat and pure visuals made the two in awe.

“Say hi to them. They are Aera’s friends here in Gwangsa.” Zhou said which made Gaeul and Yeri snap back to reality.

Yujin eonni and Gaeul were just as friendly as Zhou so they didn’t become that awkward. They even invited us to just use their car for transportation to the school instead of bicycle. Of course, I declined but the two girls couldn't say no anymore when Gaeul dragged them to Zhou’s car. Zhou was busy putting their bicycles inside our gate.

“Wow, so I’ll be alone now, huh? Hey, Cha Gaeul! I cannot believe you guys!” Yujin was marching towards her car while Zhou and Gaeul were laughing at her.

I rode in Zhou’s shotgun seat while she’s driving. Gaeul was being noisy on the back and was trying so hard to make the two as talkative as she is.

“How is she in your school? Hey, Seo Aera, you didn’t become dumb after not attending much of school last school year, did you?” She asked me in a very suspicious tone which made me laugh.

“She’s doing good actually.” Yeri answered in a small voice.

I quickly turn to Gaeul and raise a brow. She just sneered at me.

“Do guys still line up for her? Maybe she’s not very appealing now unlike before.” Gaeul was asking all the absurd questions to the two poor girls at the back.

I think they even thanked God that the travel was just quick because of the nonstop mouth of Gaeul. Zhou’s car stopped right in front of the gate of our school and following behind is Yujin eonni’s.

I was ready to wave them goodbye but Yujin hugged me again. Zhou handed Yeri and Sua her phone and asked to take pictures of us four. They even made me do our LightSky hand signal. In the end, we were almost late because each of the girls made me pose for their selcas as well.

“Don’t post any of our pictures.” 

“We’re not that dumb, you dummy. Go already. Gaeul might cry here and drag you back to Seoul anytime now.” Yujin pushed me to the school which made me chuckle.

For the last time, I waved my hand to them while Yeri and Sua bowed to the three.

Inside the campus, tons of buses were lined up. And the two who were very silent awhile ago finally exploded.

“Is every friend of yours from Seoul that beautiful? Will I glow up that much if I go to Seoul, huh?”

“Dude, they look like kpop idols. The four of you looked like kpop idols! The pinked hair eonni was outrageously beautiful. I cannot believe she’s even real.”

I smirked at the burst of their reaction while we were finding the bus our class is assigned to.

“I’m sorry for my friends. They are just really loud. Were you overwhelmed by them?”

“What do you mean? The only reason I cannot talk much is because they are too beautiful! And well...when you four are together, you guys are a bit intimidating.” Yeri stated.

“The charisma of the four of you is too much for us, don’t you know?” Sua even added.

LightSky was made with a girl crush concept and maybe because we’ve been portraying that kind of vibe for years, we have fully adapted it. I've heard we look scary and intimidating if the group is together.

“Seo Aera!”

In the midst of still finding the bus we are assigned, my name was suddenly called by Yoojung. She was smiling from ear to ear as she walks towards us with her friends.

“I heard you’re competing later. Will you do it alone?” 

“No! I’m doing it with Sua and Yeri. I heard you’re also going to join.” 

Although we’re not very close, she seems friendly which is why it’s easy to converse with her. She has that vibrant aura where you can clearly see how much of a jolly and bubbly person she is.

“Yup! Me and the girls will participate. Make sure to watch our performance, alright? We had a hard time copying the original steps of the cover we'll be making. There’s a dance break that almost killed me.” She said and laughed a bit.

“What song are you going to use? Ours is a new song and Seo Aera changed some choreography from it because it was hard. You should’ve just changed it as well.” Yeri talked.

“It’s alright. We really want to use that song and their choreography.” She said and smiled. “Are you looking for your class’s bus?” She asked. I simply nodded to her because I think Sua, Yeri, and I are lost in the sea of all the buses in the campus’s field.

“Yeah, have you found yours?” 

“Yes, we’re actually in that bus.” She pointed to the bus just behind us. “I think your bus is near the first building. I saw Minsung standing in front of a bus back there.” 

Because of Yoojung’s help, we finally found our bus. As she has said, Minsung was indeed there, supervising and helping his classmates to settle. He was holding a paper where our sitting arrangement is listed. Sua and Yeri ended up sitting together at the back while I’ll be sitting in the near front with our class president.

“Do you want to sit besides the window?” He was nice that he offered me his seat.

“I’m fine here. I’ll just sleep anyway.” Zhou eonni and I chatted almost until dawn so I’m planning to just sleep now.

But then I cannot seem to do that anyway. While we’re on our way to the resort, everyone in the bus was loud. Some are playing guitar and singing while some are laughing and conversing loudly. In the end, I just kept eating snacks that Minsung shared with me. It’s the Chinese snacks Zhou gave me originally but then got passed to Minsung.

“These are really good, by the way. You should try it.” I said when I saw my favorite Chinese junk food in the paper bag he’s digging in.

He quickly fished the snack on the paperbag and gave it to me. I smoothly opened it and gave it back to him so he could have it.

“You can have it.” He said.

“Thank you but I cannot eat all of it. We have been eating so many snacks since a while ago. I will gain weight if I finish all of this as well.”

He chuckled and shook his head slowly as if he found it absurd.

“You’re beautiful regardless of whether you gain weight or not.”

My jaw dropped at his sudden statement. He smiled softly. 

Oh my God, he’s making me insane.

Just like how Sua and Yeri told me, the travel time to the resort was indeed fast. Fortunately, I got grouped with Sua and Yeri when we’re choosing who’ll share rooms. Although the room we got isn’t that big, there’s a queen size bed. 

We ate lunch together in the room but just right after that, Sua and Yeri wanted to go swimming in the massive pool outside already. The two wanted me to come with them but I found out that the internet connection here in Gangneon is strong so I passed and became busy with my phone alone in the room.

Although we’re doing so many things today, I cannot still forget what LightSky members told me yesterday.

My hands were trembling and my lips were quivering as I looked for my name on the internet. My heart was pumping hard. And I think it finally stopped when I saw the new article headlines with my name on it.

“Classmates of former LightSky member Seo Aera showed proof that she was never a school bully.” 

My hand kept shaking while I was reading the article. It showed a detailed explanation regarding the accusations that were made about me and the counterfeits on it. It was neatly explained and it even made me chuckle when there’s a statement where it feels so Xu Yizhou.

I didn’t even realize I’m already tearing up not until I saw it dripped down the screen of my phone. It was so weird because it felt like my heart was in relief yet it is still so heavy because of the piled up emotions I never showed to anyone.

For the first time, I can feel myself breathing fine. For the first time, I can feel myself loosening up.

I chuckled at myself as I feel tears streaming down my cheeks. I didn't want to cry but it kept coming. I’ve been so tired of crying during my first nights here in Gwangsa, I don’t want to cry like that again. But here we are!

I’ve already lied to myself about moving on just to make myself stop weeping yet I’m here now bawling again. , what would Yeri and Sua face be like if they found me crying here alone in the room, huh?

I’m starting to be cleared in the public. Will they finally believe that I didn’t do anything such as the accuser has said? I was still anxious and I kept overthinking about it but the relief on my chest was out of the world. I felt like I’m composing myself again.

Mom and Dad said I was an embarrassment because I dragged their names to my scandals. Would they not be angry at me anymore when I finally cleared my name?

“What? Did you miss me that quick? Just come back to Seoul so you’ll keep seeing my face.”

I smiled when she quickly answered my call. For sure, she’s still driving to Seoul with Gaeul and Yujin.

“Zhou eonni, thank you.”

For a second, she didn’t talk. I think she found it awkward that I’m suddenly this soft to her.

“You’re fortunate Gaeul is asleep right now or else, she’ll laugh at your sweet voice calling me.” She said and laughed loudly, trying to tease me.

But no, I’m really thankful.

“Zhou-yah, thank you so much.” I repeated but my voice broke this time. “Hey, how can I repay you for all of these? You’ve done so much for me. Why did you even clear my name and pay people?”

I cannot believe myself when I start crying at her while saying those. It sounds like I’m ranting because of what she has done but actually--Hell, I’m so thankful to have a friend like her. I feel so overwhelmed with my feelings that I kept thanking her, sobbing, and then weeping again.

“You don’t have to repay me. I told you, when I chose all of you to be my group members, It was the start of my responsibility for everything. Just be happy. Just make sure to be happy with all of your decisions--pay me that way.” And when she sounded like the serious leader I only hear in the recording studio, I cried harder.

I feel so emotional I think I’ll cry even if she swears at me right now. How can I repay this girl, huh? How can anyone bash our leader when she worked hard for the group? 

“Do you really think your dream of being a leader of a global competitive girl group will only happen if we’re complete? Do you want me to go back to Seoul tomorrow and plan how you guys will break out of Ftown?”