Chapter 2

Fragment of Bliss

CHAPTER 2:

“That’s alright. Although he looks immature, he doesn’t hold a grudge.” Sua said while giggling a bit when they saw me still being bothered by that encounter even while we were eating snacks outside the school.

“But what if I continue to beat his score then?”

Yeri hissed loudly as if mocking me.

“And now you’re finally admitting that you’re as smart as our class president, huh? Aigoo, Seo Aera, I hate you.” She said in a disgusted tone but in a joking manner.

“That’s alright. What can he do if you’re really good, right?” Sua said before eating the fishcake on the stick. She was about to munch her snack when she suddenly stop and looked at me with a raised brow, “But Aera-yah, why are you so bothered with Kang Minsung?”

The two gave me a teasing look. My lips curved into a smirk before finally laughing a bit.

“He’s our class president, it’s not nice to be on bad terms with a person with power, you know.”

Why do I even have to explain it? Isn’t that obvious? Or is it only me who thinks like that? Maybe I just really don’t like the feeling that someone hates me or that a person sees me as someone unpleasant. I guess, this is a habit I got from being an idol for two years. I want to please everyone. 

After eating some snacks outside the school, the two then rode their bike to go home like always. I guess the most used transportation here is by bike. Since grandma's house is just one block away from Sua and Yeri's, Sua always makes me hop on her bike so we can all go home together.

“Thank you, Sua. I will definitely buy a bike this weekend so you don’t have to carry me on the back of your bike.” After getting off the bike, I told her in an apologetic tone. It must be hard to pedal with us two on her bike.

Sua smiled with her eyes and got all excited at my statement. She looked at Yeri who was busy with the lollipop on . 

“That’s great then! Yeri and I were actually planning to invite you to go to the market this weekend. There are many cafe in there. We can all go together when you buy a bicycle if it’s alright with you.”

And that’s how we agreed on going out that weekend. I cannot help but be very thankful to the two girls as they become my friends. I am a very timid and an introvert person but they approached me first and even welcomed me to be in the middle of their friendship. 

“Aera!” I watched the two girls pass our street until I couldn't see them anymore and when I’m about to finally go inside our house, I heard a voice calling me.

When I turned to the house besides ours, I saw the kind grandma signaling me to come near her. I quickly nodded and almost run towards the gate of their house. The old woman who always look out for me and even give me dinner sometimes was giving me a warm smile.

“Did you just come home?” 

“Yes, grandma.”

I think she just came out from the market because she was carrying a bag with some vegetables on it. I politely took it out from her hand so I can carry it for her. My lips formed a small ‘o’ when I realize it was pretty heavy.

“Did you carry this from the market? This is pretty heavy though.” I cannot help but say. “I can help you put these in your kitchen, grandma.” I suggested since the distance from the gate up to their main house was kinda far. They have this big front yard where a small flower bed are grown.

I actually have gone inside their house one time when she and her husband invited me to get some side dishes. That’s when I also learn that she’s actually the best friend of my late grandma. She even showed me some photos of her and my grandma. I also think that the reason why she and her husband are very kind to me is because I’m a grandchild of her best friend. 

“Thank you, kid. Aera-yah, you should have dinner with us here.” After helping grandma, she suddenly told me to just stay on the house while she cooks for the dinner. I found it rude to decline and actually, I like to have dinner with them.

Lately I don't eat much. I only eat lunch normally because that's when Sua and Yeri are with me. My appetite is getting worse day by day, maybe if I eat with them today I'll eat better. 

The grandma didn’t even let me go home to change clothes so I am still wearing uniform. She just let me put my bag on the living room.

She was so excited when I told her that I’ll help her with preparing ingredients for the sweet and sour pork she’ll cook that she immediately grabbed an extra apron to put on me.

The old couple are comfortable to be with. It kinda feels like I’m with my grandma all over again. The warmth and comfort they emit reminds me of how my grandma takes care of me when I was still a child. My grandma was actually living in Seoul back then but because of her age, she decided to come to her hometown years after.

“Good thing you know how to cook. You can live alone.” 

We were having a casual talk while I’m slicing some vegetables and she’s preparing the pan.

“I really like cooking. Even in our dorm before, I cook for my memb--for my friends…” I stopped slicing vegetables when I realized I almost said the word ‘members’. Oh yeah, I’m a former member now.

How can my mind still not get it, huh?

“You’re from a rich family though. I tend to think wealthy people have chefs and such.” I chuckled for a second not until I realized what she just said.

How come she knew my Mom and Dad are well off?

And then I nodded to myself as I got reminded that she’s my grandma’s best friend. Of course, even if how much my grandma likes to stay lowkey, she tells her friends that she made this big corporation in Seoul and that she passed her company to her son, my father.

“I’m home!” 

While chatting with grandma, a kid's voice suddenly shouted. My eyes widened and I immediately looked at grandma. She smiled at me before pulling me towards the living room.

I got more confused when I saw an elementary student on the couch, removing his bag cutely. 

“Minho, come here. I will introduce you to an older sister!” Grandma excitedly pulled the boy to stand up.

“Older sister?” His big eyes directly went to me with so much curiosity.

“This is Aera eonni. Introduce yourself.” Grandma looks so affectionate to the boy.

“Hello, Aera eonni. I’m Kang Minho. I’m already in 3rd grade.”

Smile quickly formed on my lips while he was introducing himself. Even the way he talks is cute. A typical bowl haircut was very suited to him and I cannot resist to not kneel in front of him to have a high five with him. He looks so pure and innocent.

“Hello, cutie.” I said and slightly pinched his cheek. He's so soft, literally and metaphorically. He looks so delicate! “I didn’t know you have a grandchild here, grandma!” I turned to grandma who looked the most excited with my interaction with the kid.

“The last time that you went here, he was out with his brother.”

“He has an older brother?” I asked. “Your brother must look as cute as you, huh?” I told Minho indulgently which made him giggle a bit.

The small kid and I clicked right away. He wasn’t snobbish at all and even asked me to help him with his assignment. Of course, I cannot say no to the very cute kid.

“Are you good at mathematics, eonni? My brother is a math genius but he cannot help me these days. He’s studying very hard because he’s in his last year in high school and he wants to study at Seoul National University.” He’s a chatterbox that’s why we never go out of topic.

“Oh, I’m also in my last year in high school!” I said. “And don’t worry, I beat our rank 1 in our mathematics test yesterday, I can definitely help you with your assignment.” I whispered to him before chuckling.

I’m actually very good at handling kids. I love kids who are cute and well behaved. Definitely like Kang Minho here.

“Really, Aera? You’re also in your last year of high school? My grandchild is also studying in your school. You might know him.” Grandma overheard our conversation from the near kitchen and she quickly joined our chat.

“I’m still new in our school so maybe I don’t know him. What’s his name though? I might see him around! The school isn’t that big.” 

“My brother’s name is Kang Minsung.”

I almost choked when Minho suddenly uttered the familiar name to me.

“Who?” I might have heard it wrong. “Kang Minsung?”

“Oh? You do know him then. He’s the class president of their class.” My jaw dropped when grandma even confirmed it.

“I’m his classmate…”

And wow, what a great timing because I heard their door being opened. The very familiar baritone voice of our class president was heard loudly and clearly from the entrance of the house. 

“I’m home!”

“You’re home? Where is your grandfather?” Grandma shouted from the kitchen while she’s cooking.

“He’s parking the pickup truck.”

“Come inside quickly, your friend is here!”

Grandma and I glanced at each other. I immediately stood up.

“My friend? Who--”

The surprise he had on his face when he saw me was the same I had when my group topped the music chart for the first time. I awkwardly raised my hand to wave it.

“Hi. I…” I don’t know what to say so I just shut my mouth in the end.

“Why are you here?” He sounded so confused just like me.

I was here for almost two weeks already but I never saw him coming out from this house. It’s always just grandma and grandpa but never him. The old couple even took me to school earlier this morning yet he’s not with them.

“She’s eating dinner with us later, Minsung-ah.” Grandma answered right before I could say that I’m going home now.

Dude, I just learned that I’m really scared of him. I don’t know if it’s because of his intimidating aura or because of something else but he’s just really scary for me.

“And eonni is teaching me math, hyung!” Minho suddenly raised his hand. He looks so cute with his innocence.

Oh, I did say that he’s brother must be as cute as him. Turns out…

“I can teach you that.” He squatted in front of his brother and smiled.

I almost gasped at the view. Now, he somehow resembles cute Minho. Kang Minsung’s smile screams so much of wholesome that I almost forget how I fear him for his very charismatic aura.

“You can continue with your studies, hyung. Aera eonni can help me. She beat the rank 1 of their class so she’s a genius like you too!”

I twitched at what Minho said. I almost covered his lips just to stop him but it was late. Kang Minsung’s eyes were already to mine and the smile he had on his lips were already gone.

“I mean… it’s a kid… I just want to…you know” My voice gone smaller as he stares at me more.

Oh my God. 

“Really, Aera? You beat your rank 1? Aren’t you the rank 1 in your class, Minsung? Did Aera beat you?” Although the tone of grandma wasn’t teasing, the questions she just thrown might anger her beloved grandson.

Especially that I know he’s competitive and that he overheard what I told Yeri and Sua awhile ago.

“Yeah. Miss Seo Aera here is indeed smart.”

“That’s great then! You can be more motivated to study. You see, Aera, my grandchild always ranked first in their class and he was also a consecutive 1st rank in the whole school. It’s good that he has a competition now.”

“Yeah, it’s nice to have someone as competition. It’s not like I’m an immature person who’ll hate someone just because she’s beating me in some quizzes and such.”

I froze on my feet. Oh goodness. He’s saying that because he heard me talking about him being immature back in the classroom awhile ago.

“You got it wrong, grandma. It was just my luck!” I said to divert my attention to grandma. I firmly want to stop whatever her expectations about me as well. 

I have lived all my life through the expectation of other people and I don’t want that even grandma will expect something from me. I fear that I’ll disappoint her in the end...the same how I disappointed our fans when rumors regarding me surfaced.

“Luck? You scored the highest yesterday. Today, your score in our quiz is perfect. Although you’re not active in recitations, whenever the teacher asks you directly, you answer perfectly.”

My mouth dropped. Now I don’t know what to say anymore. Grandma smiled at me teasingly.

“This is nice. I want to see who’s smarter!” She was smiling from ear to ear while clapping her hands as if we’re really in a competition.

When grandpa finally walked inside the house, the small tension between me and Kang Minsung diminished to air. While Minsung went to his room to change clothes, I helped grandma preparing the table.

“Aera-yah, why not always eat here with us? You’re all alone in that massive house. Isn’t it lonely to eat alone?” Grandpa asked me while he was very focused on the tv news. He was sitting intensely in the middle seat of the table. His eyes were fized on the news while talking to me.

“It’s alright, grandpa.” 

“Hey, c’mon. At least eat here with us every dinner so you won’t feel lonely when it’s night. You are very welcome here so don’t be shy with us. Treat us like your grandparents.” Grandma told me, slightly nudging me to finally accept her idea.

At the end, I agreed to her. It’s true that I’m fine eating alone but to be honest, I’ve been feeling sad these days because I miss the loudness of my members whenever I’m eating with them. Nowadays, I always feel like choking and I don’t have much appetite. Maybe with other people, I’ll regain my old self like how I can eat better when I'm with Sua and Yeri.

“Aigoo, the governor will be investigated. Tsk, tsk, tsk. That’s why politics is indeed dirty.” Grandpa commented after the tv news report ended. 

When he noticed that we had finished preparing the foods and utensils are already organized on the table, he then stood and called his beloved grandchildren.

“You can sit here, Aera. Let’s just wait for the two boys for a bit.”

I quickly sat on the seat grandma assigned to me. It was later that I realized it’s the seat besides Kang Minsung. Our eyes met but I quickly withdrew. Minho sat in front of me. He waved his hand when we locked eyes. He giggled when I also waved back to him with a big smile.

“How’s your day, children?” While passing foods around the table, grandma started a usual conversation family would ask in the table.

“It’s nice. I found excitement in class…” My intimidating class president answered while grandma was busy filling his plate full with the food she cooked with me.

“Hey, do you know that these two are classmates?” Grandma started talking with his husband while I munch silently.

I found it amusing that the old couple looks so warm with each other. I just love the idea that they look so wholesome. I was silently eating like how I usually do in the table but grandpa suddenly talked to me.

“Aera, how is Minsung in the class? He’s the class president, right? Is he strict?”

“No, grandpa. He’s very kind and actually, he guided me well on my first week at the school. He’s smart too!” Although I have said many good things about Minsung, I felt like I needed to add more. While thinking of adjectives, grandpa laughed heartily already as if he’s overly satisfied with what I have said.

“Minsung is studying so hard because he wants to study in Seoul National University for college. He wants to be a lawyer.” Grandpa looks and sounds so proud while talking about Minsung. 

Our class president smiled widely at his grandfather and his natural menacing expression was nowhere to be found.

So he already has a clear plan for his future? I can imagine him wearing corporate attire while standing in the court looking very intimidating and firm. For sure he’ll look astonishing and many girls will still fancy him. Although he is popular in our school right now, his fanbase will for sure expand if 10 years later, he’ll be a lawyer.

“What about you, Aera? What is your plan after high school?” My smile slowly loosen after grandma asked me that.

I don’t know. I have always dreamed of being an artist who stands on stage but now, I am exiled from coming in that industry. I have not yet thought of what I want for my future now. 

Maybe I’ll just go with what my parents want. I’ll finish my high school here diligently and afterwards, I’ll try to pass the test of the prestigious Seoul National University. I’ll study hard so I can work in a corporate world, the same as my parents.

“I don’t know yet, grandma. What profession do you think is suitable for me?” I asked nonchalantly before scooping rice from my bowl.

“You’re so beautiful. What about being an actress? Or like those kids fancy these days, those who dance and sing on television. For sure you’ll be one of the most famous!”

For a second, I didn’t get to control my expression. Shock was very evident on my face. I then chuckled afterwards to hide my discompose state.

“Should I be an idol, grandma? Would you like me to be seen on television?” 

It was such a heart fluttering moment. It’s the first time someone who's not from that industry told me that I look fit for being a kpop idol. All my life, everyone around me keeps telling me to not enter that world because it is tiring and is problematic yet grandma besides me is encouraging me to become one.

“Why not?! You’re gorgeous and very kind. Everyone will love you!”

I cannot help but laugh bitterly when she said that. I did hope that everyone would love me. But that didn’t happen. I have always been wrapped in controversies. First, dating rumors. Next, rude behavior. Lastly and the most demolishing one, bullying.

“Aera eonni looks like that famous kpop idol! The one my classmate idolizes.” I quickly turned to Minho when he said that. My smile was wiped out of my face quickly. My heart starts racing as I feel my hands getting cold.

“Really, Minho?” Grandpa looked so curious at what Minho was saying that I started to panic more.

“Yes! She definitely looks like the member of LightSky. Jaehwi brought their pictures at school before. Her name is even the same as that member. Aera.”

My lips parted. I started chuckling nervously at what he’s saying. This province isn’t that unknowledgeable like what my parents said. I even thought I can loosen up because in our school, no one talks about our group but suddenly, this kid here know my former group! Oh god, he even knows me!

“W-Well, they do say I look like an idol. Maybe, we share the same features that’s why…” I feel like I sounded too stiff with that but that doesn’t matter anymore! I feel like they will start getting suspicious of me if I don’t say anything.

But it was just me being paranoid because they actually didn’t care much about it. The topic was even shifted to another one as if the talk regarding my former group didn’t occur and hell, the relief that I felt was up to the moon.

“I’ll wash the dishes!” I volunteered after the dinner but Kang Minsung was already walking to the sink with some stacked plates on his hands. I quickly stopped raising my hand and bowed my head.

“I’ll wash the dishes. You can help cleaning the table.” 

I nodded and quickly obliged to his order. I brought the remaining plates and bowls on the table to the sink while Kim Minsung was starting to wash some dishes. My lips lifted a bit when I saw him cleaning a plate with his intense and almost glaring eyes like usual.

I don’t know if I’ll define it as cute or scary.

I almost jumped when I turned around and suddenly, grandma was standing at our back with a very wide smile. I could’ve swore if I didn’t just stop myself.

“You look good together!” She sounded so happy while saying it. “Minsung, remember when Sunggyu has always wanted to introduce you to her one and only granddaughter and you always decline? Don’t you regret it?”  

I glanced at Minsung and looked like he was shocked at his grandma’s words because his hooded eyes were widened just like mine. Now I feel like my cheeks are burning. Did grandma really did that before? And he decline? He rejected me? 

“Grandma,” Minsung sounded soft yet embarrassed.

“Grandma, I’ll go home now. I’ll start working on my school work. Thank you for the dinner.” I cut the topic quickly with a smile and a deep bow.

I was just about to take a step but I heard grandma urging Kang Minsung to bring me home as if I’m living blocks away from them.

“Minsung-ah, you should Aera home. It’s already dark.”

“No, it’s alright.” I quickly in during their conversation before Minsung could even answer. “Grandma, I’m only living next door. Our class president doesn’t need to accompany me for that. I’m going now. Thank you again.” I pulled the biggest smile I can make just to assure her that I’ll be fine.

She hugged me for the last time and even reminded me to come to their house tomorrow for dinner again. I also bid farewell to grandpa and Minho who were in the living room.

“Eonni, help me with my homework tomorrow, okay?” Minho told me while he was hugging me.

I smiled and nodded to him.

“Don’t bother your eonni, she’s also studying. I can help you tomorrow.” Minsung walked in the living room with crossed arms, wearing a serious expression that is directed to his younger brother.

“I like Aera eonni when she’s teaching. She doesn’t look frightening!”

I chuckled at Minho and even pinched his cheek. “I will come here again tomorrow and eonni will help you. Don’t worry, okay?” 

When I raised my head afterwards, my eyes automatically went to Minsung who is looking at me with a raised brow. Like always, I smoothly avoided eye contact with him. I walked towards the couch where I dropped my bag a while ago.

“I’ll send you home.” Minsung suddenly neared me and snatched my bag.

I was confuse at first and even looked at grandma. I thought grandma forced him to accompany me home but when I saw the slight amusement on her face, I looked back at Minsung.

“No, it’s really alright. The house besides yours is where I’m staying, you don’t need to me.”

He snobbishly ignored me. He started walking to the doorway of their house while he’s carrying my bag so I was left standing in front of his family members.

Hell, why did he even insist? I feel so awkward with him and even though we’ll only walk some steps to my house, I feel like I’ll be suffocated with his intimidating air.

“Kang Minsung, it’s really fine. I can go now.” I slightly pulled my bag out of his shoulder while he was opening the gate of their house. “Thank you for escorting me until your gate.” I even bowed to him.

“Seo Aera,” The deep voice of our class president made me twitch.

“Why?” I tried to talk casually but I sounded like a small scared kitten .

He tilted his head a bit before taking a step closer. I immediately took a step backward, his aura was too much to handle. I don't think I can take him any longer if he’ll go closer.

“Are you scared of me? Why?”

I furrowed my brows, acting like I don’t know what he meant by that.

“What do you mean?”

“You always avoid me in school. Even in my grandma’s house, you keep avoiding me.” 

“No. I don’t.” 

He scoffed. I closed my eyes tightly realizing he won’t believe me anyway.

“Do you hate me?”

“No!” I quickly answered firmly.

“I think you do.” 

“No, really. I don’t hate you. I-I just think you’re too intimidating…”

“What can I do then? I was born like this.”

“What do you mean what can you do? Do nothing. It’s not like I’m asking you anything. I just don’t think we vibe.”

The corner of his lips raised as if he’s getting entertained with where our conversation is getting to.

“Me. I’m asking you. Tell me what can I do so we vibe.”

“What?” My lips parted in shock. My eyebrow furrowed. 

This is surprising and I cannot help but chuckle in confusion.

“Everyone in our house likes you. I don’t want them to see us being this awkward. That’s why tell me what can I do so you won’t be scared of me.”

He leaned towards me. Again, I stepped back.

“You don’t need to do anything! I can just act as if we’re fine. Don’t worry, I’m a good actress. I had acting lessons before!”

He raised his brow at me again as if judging my whole existence.

“Tell me what I should do so you’ll be comfortable with me. Is it that hard? Or our relationship cannot be helped?” He said softly in a whisper tone.

Now I’m getting nervous.

What is this guy saying? Does he know that he’s almost sending a mixed signal to me? If only I didn’t know he’s the nerd type, I would already think of something else. I tried to stare at his eyes but after some seconds, I gave up.

Alright, then.

I sighed and stood straight. I brushed my long wavy hair upward before looking at him again.

“Smile! You look friendly when you smile.” I told him frankly and then avoided glances with him again because he starts smirking. Maybe he’s thinking I’m absurd or something. “But seriously, Kang Minsung, you don’t have to do anything. We can be fine without you doing anything--”

“Goodbye.” He pushed me towards the opened gate and even helped me wearing my backpack.

I was so flustered when he suddenly drag me outside their gate and even patted me on the back. He slightly pushed me to walk. When I turn my head to look at him, he just waved at me and closed the gate of their house.

My jaw dropped.

What was that?