Chapter 5

Fragment of Bliss

CHAPTER 5:

I almost put my hand on her lips in panic. I, again, looked around uneasily. Someone who knows me might hear her.

“What are you doing here?” She whispered in a small tone, realized how much nervous I am.

Hyejin eonnie is standing in front of me with a mixed reaction of surprise and worry. She is Ahn Minhyuk’s manager and we’re kind of close. Since Minhyuk and I were just in the same agency before, the managers are familiar to us.

“Eonni, why are you here?” I asked hurriedly because now that she’s here, I want to run away. Ahn Minhyuk is just around and his fans have for sure followed him.

“You! Why are you here?! Minhyuk is shooting his idol drama, you two cannot be seen in the same location, Aera-yah.” Although she sounds frustrated because of what’s happening, I can hear concern in her voice.

“What time are you leaving, eonni? His fans are all around. One of his fansite master saw me.” 

“We’re packing up right now but--Oh my God, Aera! A fan saw you?! Follow me.” She was really having a mental breakdown just like me. She pulled me to somewhere.

My heart was beating faster and faster. Even when Hyejin eonnie finally closed the door of the van, my chest was still pounding hard.

“Let’s stay here first. You won’t be seen by anyone here. This is the van for the staff. Later when Minhyuk leaves, you can go then.” 

I nodded as I understood her explanation. We’re inside the company's van and I cannot deny that I somehow start calming because I won’t be seen here at least. Later when Minhyuk finally left with his personal car then I can go out or that’s what I thought...

Because while Hyejin Eonnie was just starting to ask me about why I’m here in Gwangsa, the car’s door opened and Ahn Minhyuk was there! 

“Hyejin noona, can we cancel the schedule later eve--” He didn’t get to finish his words as he realized that I’m sitting inside the van.

He froze on the ground while staring at me with a blank expression--maybe due to surprise.

While he was busy being shocked, my eyes were already fixated on looking around him because I’m scared his fans are there.

“Ahn Minhyuk, why are you here?!” His manager pulled him inside the van and shut the door quickly.

“Aera...Aera-yah!” He suddenly hugged me.

I quickly pushed him away but his hug was too tight.

“Minhyuk-ah!” Hyejin dragged him forcefully that he got pushed to the door. 

My face hardened at his actions but I melted away when I saw his eyes watering. He looks so soft and sad.

“Why did you leave the group? You didn’t train and endure the last four years to suddenly quit like that. How can you do that? How can you leave all of us?”

Ahn Minhyuk was an ex-boyfriend of mine back in middle school but we broke up in high school due to a dating ban that we had while training for being a kpop idol. I encouraged some friends of mine to audition to be a kpop idol and he was one of them. He even debuted earlier than me.

Maybe that’s the reason why he feels this way to me now. I breathe deeply to calm myself. He looked so hurt and betrayed. I glanced at his Manager that is now sitting at the back.

“Minhyuk, I don’t have a choice. My image has been dragged to mud I cannot recover from it anymore--”

“I know you didn’t do it! You never bullied someone! How can you do that when you’ve been almost killing yourself just to balance your high rank in school and in training?!”

Of course he knows. But not everyone knows that. I cannot prove it because I lack resources. The company didn’t help me cleaning my name...and so does my family. So how will I prove to everyone I never bullied someone?

“Why are you here? You’re in a shoot, right? Go already before a staff comes and finds us here. You cannot be rumored to be with me now, Minhyuk.”

His career almost ended back when he was linked to me so what more now that I’m painted as an evil person.

I looked at Hyejin eonni again, trying to get some help to drag Minhyuk out because I know Minhyuk and I will just argue with this one.

“You’re just changing the topic! What are you doing here? Are you living here now? What about your career? Will you really give up?”

I sighed. He keeps making me repeat the words that stabs me all the time.

“I cannot go back there. I’m ruined, Minhyuk.” I said firmly, starting to get irritated now.

It’s hella hard for me to admit it and he’s here as if reminding me so many times how much of a failure I am in that industry.

“I will help you clean your name, Aera. I will help you get back on the industry.” He said with so much passion in his eyes. 

I sighed. I again turned to his manager. She shook her head as if telling me that I shouldn’t believe Minhyuk. Actually, I know it already. Will Minhyuk post on social media how great of a student I was back then? The agency will kill him.

“Give up on it already, Minhyuk. Just take care of yourself, alright?” I said with a smile. I even pat his hair but his eyes are still full of agony.

We were friends for a very long time. Even after we broke up, we kept our friendship. Ever after we were trampled with so much hatred about a scandal about us, we kept our friendship intact. I fully understand his sentiments about my career because before anyone else, I am the most disappointed and frustrated about what happened to my life.

But what can I do, huh? I have no choice but to accept it already. I cannot do anything about this anymore.

“Eonni, his fans might think his shoot is already done. I can go now, right?” 

I felt so suffocated while thoughts were running through my mind. I would rather get out here than going mad because of all the pain I’m feeling once again. Just when I thought I started moving on from my life back in Seoul, this guy will suddenly remind me of every bits of it.

“Aera--” Hyejin Eonnie was just about to stop me from opening the van’s door but I already did.

I put my mask on again and walked towards the side of the road. Good thing that the van was parked on the back of the big market which is why there’s no many people. I just hope that there will be a taxi in front of the market later so when Yeri and Sua finally arrive, we can go home quickly.

“Oh, gyeranppang.” And I cannot believe that in the midst of the thoughts running through my mind, I would be distracted by the smell of the snackbar on the side of the market.

Besides the fact that egg breads are my favorite, I also remember Minsung telling me to try it because it’s better than the ones in Seoul. With a dispirited disposition, I walked closer to the snackbar not until I realized who’s already in front of it.

There’s this tall lean man wearing casual clothes and a girl besides her who’s wearing a cute white dress. From behind, it is very evident that they are on a date. Which is why when the two faced each other and I caught their side profiles, my jaw quickly dropped.

It’s Kang Minsung and Yoo Yoojung!

Yoo Yoojung smiled brightly to Minsung’s intimidating face. They look so good together. Oh my gosh. Were they a thing? Well, I’ve seen Minsung with Yoojung before but I thought that they are friends. 

Oh, maybe they are keeping their relationship lowkey? Well, with Minsung’s personality, it’s not surprising if they are just really keeping their relationship subtle.

I scoffed as I observe them from behind. I was already crossing my arms as I watch them. They are not even making any skinship and I’m pretty sure it’s because of Minsung’s menacing aura. He should tone down his fierceness when he’s with his girl! Yoojung looks so stiff with him now.

This guy. He keeps smiling to me because he wants us to be friends but why can’t he even do that to his girlfriend? As I keep thinking about it, I get more disappointed. Does he like showing his charismatic aura to his girlfriend? What is he, a tsundere? I shook my head.

Or maybe he’s just really naturally like this. And those smiles he keeps showing me are all pretense so I can be comfortable with him? 

And then it hit me. Of course, all of those are pretense. He said it before. He asked me what he can do so we can be friends. He’s just showing effort to me so we can look comfortable in front of his family because they like me.

“Seo Aera!”

I didn’t realize I was already zoning out while looking at their back. I only snapped back to reality when I heard that loud voice from behind. Even Yoojung and Minsung who’s waiting for their order in front heard it and turned their heads to my direction.

When I turned towards the voice, my heart leaped from startle. Ahn Minhyuk is here in front of me wearing a face mask and cap. He grabbed my hand while he’s still catching his breath. I quickly pulled my hand back as I look around nervously.

“Minhyuk!” I said with so much frustration because he tried holding me in an open area. Why is he here?! Looks like he ran away from his staff. Why is he such a disobedient one? What if his fans noticed us? What if they think we’re still in some romantic relationship? He’ll be ruined!

“Aera, I promise you, okay? I will help you get back. You can stand on the stage again. Don’t give up on your dreams. I will help you. Remember it. This is my number, I heard you changed your number. You have to call me so I can help you, alright?”

He slid a paper on my hand while I kept pushing him. In the end, I just nodded to whatever he said so he’ll go away already. It took some more seconds before he finally ran back to his work. I feel so frustrated and mad at what happened. My jaw was clenching hard as I watch him go away. 

I looked around one more time, still paranoid as hell about his fans. I caught Yoo Yoojung and Kang Minsung looking at me. My face softened when I realized they had seen me with Minhyuk!

Although Minhyuk is wearing a mask and cap, I still felt nervous.

Yoojung walked towards me with a bright smile while Minsung slowly followed her from behind.

“Aera? Is that you? You cut your hair, I almost didn’t recognize you!” She stated through her very demure persona. She even tilted her head as she looked at me.

That, at least, assured me. I’m wearing a face mask and fortunately, I cut my hair today so it’s not easy to recognize me. Minhyuk’s fans won’t recognize me easily, right?

“You look so beautiful but I doubt the guys in school will like you with short hair. My guy friends always tell me that you look so gorgeous because of your long wavy hair.” She told me enthusiastically. I just smiled.

“Who’s that guy?” 

My eyes directed to Minhyuk. I was shocked when I saw his menacing aura. His eyes were sharper than normally and his lips were in a grim line. He’s showing off too much charisma on his girlfriend.

“Who else? Aera’s boyfriend, of course. They were even wearing a couple mask.” Yoojung concluded.

Couple mask?

I immediately shook my head to deny her thought.

“He’s a friend of mine. We accidentally bumped into each other while here in the market.” I said with trembling lips. Thank God I was wearing a mask which is why they cannot see the nervousness I have in my face.

“I’ll go now, Sua and Yeri must be waiting for me. I won’t bother you with your date anymore.” I said before turning away quickly to leave.

Even after I got home that night successfully, I cannot seem to relax because I’m still paranoid that someone might’ve photographed me with Minhyuk at the market. Fans are scary. They can either build your name in the industry or destroy you in a snap.

“How did your day go? You played with your friends?” Grandma asked while we’re on the table.

“We had fun. I bought a bicycle so I won’t have a hard time going to school.” I smiled, trying to forget what I kept thinking for a while now.

“I asked Minsung to go to the market earlier to buy some light bulbs. I guess you didn’t meet each other, huh?” Grandpa asked as he scoop rice from his bowl.

I glanced at Minsung but he just avoided my glance in a snobbish way. My mind has been flying since I got home but now that I see him, I realize he’s actually in a foul mood ever since I got inside their home. What’s with him? Did he and his girlfriend fought?

“Yeah, we actually met each other.”

“Have you tried their gyeranppang on the side of the market then?” Grandma asked.

Oh, I remember I didn’t get to buy some. I actually planned to buy some for them but because of the chaos that happened earlier, my mind got haywired and I went home hurriedly.

“I wasn’t able to.”

“Oh! What a fortunate coincidence because Minsung brought some gyeranppang. There are still two of those in the living room. I’ll just reheat it so you can munch on it later.”

That’s why right after we finished eating dinner, grandma was already busy reheating the egg breads in their microwave although I already told her that I’ll just do that later on at home. I’m too full to eat again.

While talking with grandma in the kitchen, Minsung suddenly walked in. I cannot help but follow him with my eyes.

“Have you already switched the light bulb on the restroom?” Grandma asked as his grand child look inside their refrigerator.

“Yes.” He answered so sparingly. After drinking water from the fridge, he looked at me. I was actually shocked when he even asked me, “The light bulb in your gate is already flickering. I’ll change it later.”

He was snobbish that night. He didn’t even smile at me nor make any conversation after that. In the end, I was only talking and giggling with Minho. It was 9pm when I decided to go home since grandma and grandpa are sleepy already.

“Are the lights in your house fine? If you have any problems inside your house, just tell Minsung. He knows a lot about electricity and such.” Grandpa told me while we’re waiting for Minsung because he went to their storage room to find a light bulb for my gate.

“I guess the gate’s light is the only problem now.”

My room’s light bulb is actually broken but I don’t mind it at all so it’s fine. Also, I don’t want to bother our class president. Especially that he’s in such a bad mood that even while fixing the light bulb in front of our gate, he was silent.

It feels so weird that we’re all silent so I cannot help but try to converse with him although there’s a big chance that he’ll just snob me.

“So you’re with Yoo Yoojung, huh?” I tried to be cheery while saying that as I raise my head to look at him. He continued to change the light bulb. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. I mean, it’s actually great that you keep your relationship lowkey. Girls in the school like you, they will be heartbroken to know you’re taken. The same as how other boys will--”

“We’re not in a relationship.” He cut me off with a very firm voice.

Half of me doesn’t believe it but I cannot deny the small joy inside me when he said that.

“C’mon, you don’t have to hide it from me. I thought we’re friends?” I smiled and even raised a brow.

“I don’t have anything to hide from you. You, why are you denying that you have a boyfriend if I am really your friend?”

He stopped fixing the light just to ask me with crossed arms. My brows furrowed. I was confused for a second because I don’t remember denying a boyfriend even back when I was in Seoul. Yes, I’ve been linked to some idols back then but whenever that happens, it’s always when we already broke up.

“The guy earlier in the market? He’s just really a friend.” I chuckled. 

 What’s wrong with me? I should be nervous because we’re talking about what happened earlier, which Minhyuk is involved in, but here I am, finding our conversation funny.

“Why are you wearing a couple mask?” 

Yoo Yoojung. Why did she even say that? How can there be such a thing as a couple mask? It’s just a coincidence that we were wearing the same black masks. I wore a couple bracelet, shoes, and caps before but a mask is too much, right? Who would do that?

“A couple mask? Really?” I chuckled louder. “Okay, we were in a relationship before and alright, maybe we wore couple bracelets back then but Minsung-ah, there’s no such thing as a couple mask.”

“See, he’s an ex-boyfriend. What a liar.” He rolled his eyes and even hissed.

I gasped at his reaction. I absentmindedly hit his arm.

“I’m not a liar! We’re really just friends now!”

“How can you be friends with your ex-boyfriend? There’s no such thing.”

“We’re in the same company so it’s just right to act casual. And we ended on a good note, we actually didn’t fight.”

“Then why don’t you go back with him then? You don’t fight with him and you feel comfortable with him, right?” He rebuttal rapidly with cute furrowed brows and pouting lips.

“We don’t have feelings for each other anymore. I told you, we’re just really friends.”

“You cannot be so sure about that. He can have feelings for you and just hide it.”

“And so? I don’t have feelings for him though. We still won’t happen.” I don’t get why this conversation is getting heated up but I’m starting to hate the idea that he keeps pushing me with Minhyuk. “What about you? Why don’t you just go with Yoo Yoojung? She likes you, right?”

He was just about to talk but he ended up being silent when he realized what I just said. So he really knows Yoojung like him? Maybe she already confessed. I widened my eyes to him as if challenging him.

“What? It’s true, right? She likes you. Why don’t you have a relationship with her then?”

“I don’t like her.”

“But you’re comfortable with her. You even had a date with her in the market. You can even be yourself when you’re with her. You don’t need to pretend to be all smiley and friendly unlike with me!”

He’s brows arched again. He starts getting affected with the conversation.

“Don’t try to push me to her. I don’t like her, I told you already.” My lips were just about to open but he cut me off already by saying, “And we didn’t date on the market! It was coincidence just like how you saw your ex-boyfriend.”

“Stop talking about Ahn Minhyuk!”

“Then stop talking about Yoo Yoojung too!”

We went silent for a moment as we glare at each other. After some more seconds of heated battle of stares, he withdrew. It was later when it hit me how I started becoming more comfortable with him because I can even have a glaring contest with him.

“I’m going home now.” He suddenly softens, which is so out of the blue.

I felt awkward all of a sudden because he smoothly transitioned from his intense aura to a softy.

“Alright. Goodnight then.” I said before opening the gate so I could go inside. I was about to close the door but I remember to say something, “Thank you for the light.” I said and gave a short smile.

“Goodnight.” I heard him saying as I close the gate.

My face starts heating. Now I cannot hide the smile on my face anymore.