Chapter 11

Fragment of Bliss

CHAPTER 11:

“Hey, I was calling your phone. Why aren’t you answering?”

Sua waved her phone in front of me and that’s when I only snapped back to reality. I looked around and realized that my mind was flying somewhere again. I kept staring at the window of our classroom.

“I don’t bring phone. I cannot use it anyway.” I answered weakly before standing up.

I kept thinking about what happened back in the school trip. We won that night but my tensed mood was very evident in my every move and expressions. Sua and Yeri kept asking me why I looked so frazzled but I couldn't answer them.

“What do you mean? I bought the three of us new phone cases for our new phones. Always bring your phone to school from now on so we can take selcas too!” She told me firmly. “I called you so many times. You’re being called to Teacher Kim’s office.”

Today's the day when our homeroom teacher have to evaluate the career path we have written on the paper we took last week. I wrote that I want to take a business major in one of the best universities in Korea, SNU. That’s what my parents want anyway.

“Oh, you have the same target as Kang Minsung.” Our homeroom teacher exclaimed once she read my paper.

She starts checking my class records while I silently stare at her. Her smile starts fading as she looks at my papers.

“You had a high rank back in the middle school but in high school, you fell really bad on the ranking.” She starts becoming careful. “You transfered late to our school and we can see how much of a smart girl you are but may I ask why did your grades fell in your last school.”

I bit my lips and avoided glances. I felt like she’s thinking I had a bad environment back in Seoul. As much as I want to tell her the real reason why I had those bad grades, I would need to tell her that I was an idol before. 

I sighed when her words suddenly hit me. Is she telling me that I cannot enter Seoul National University with my grades?

“Miss Kim, will I not be accepted in SNU with my grades?” I asked nervously.

She looked taken aback at my question but she composed herself quickly.

“Aera-yah, upon looking here, why don’t you consider other universities? I’m pretty sure you can still study in Seoul universities.”

My lips parted. I was actually shocked because I have always thought that if I’ll be a regular student then I’ll have to aim for Seoul National University. My parents want me to be in that school and I know how much foul words I would get again if I’ll not pass SNU.

“Is there really no chance for me? I can do my best until our school year ends. Will I have a chance if I climb the ranking in our school then?”

“Seo Aera-yah, calm down.” She said in a very soft tone. Maybe she’s worried because she can see I'm alarmed all of a sudden. “There’s a chance, of course. I’m just telling you to consider other universities because your scores from your last school were low and that…” 

So it’ll really be hard then? A thought passed through my mind and I quickly scoffed at myself. In the end, I sighed and nodded to myself. So we're in that thought again, huh?

“Miss Kim,” I called her and raised my head. My teacher’s worried face warmed my heart. “Do you think an idol can pass Seoul National University?”

“Huh?” She looked so confused I couldn't help but smile a bit.

“No.” I quickly differed myself afterwards. “Between passing SNU and becoming an idol, what do you think I have a higher chance on?”

“Do you want to be an idol, Aera?”

I want to. It’s my real dream but I also want to make my parents proud. 

But if I cannot pass SNU, I’m very sure my parents will despise me. They will hate me just like when I start dropping from my rank in high school. What’s the difference of that and going back as an idol?

“I changed my mind, Teacher Kim. I want to be an idol.”

She stopped for a second after hearing my change of heart. She then laughed afterwards, maybe trying to lighten up the air because I suddenly looked and sounded so firm and tight.

“Aera, that’ll be a hard path. Why not think about it more, huh? I thought you want to be a business major.”

“That’s my parents dream for me but if I’ll disappoint them anyway, I’ll just go back to being a full time idol. I love performing in front of many people, Teacher Kim.”

I’m really a bad daughter. But if I cannot make them proud of what they want me to be, at least they can be proud of me when I become happy because I’ll choose my path, right?

I chuckled at my thought. Of course not. That’ll make them mad and I’m sure they’ll hate me.

From this day on, I decided to be reckless.

“You look so happy. What great thing happened?” Minsung asked after dinner and we sat beside Minho, who were busy watching television with grandma and grandpa.

I turned to him and smiled.

“It’ll be hard for me to pass Seoul National University so I decided to pursue my real dream.” I announced to him happily. He looked confused but then slowly nodded afterwards. I guess he's trying to understand me in his mind.

“You decided to be an idol?” He asked with a small smile. I nodded to him excitedly. “...that’s why you’re happy. Are you going to train at Han Entertainment?”

My eyebrow arched when he suddenly brought up a label. It was later that I realized it’s because he saw me being scouted by Han Entertainment in the school before. 

“No. Not in Han Entertainment.

“Okay, wherever you want. You will for sure pass as an idol and be successful. Just be confident.” He said with a bright smile.

For a moment, I froze on my seat. His smile and his sincerity always gets to me.

I hope. I really hope to be successful.

Now that he brought up about entertainment company, I remember that I actually haven’t told Zhou nor any LightSky members about my plan. That’s why when I came back home, I quickly called Zhou but her phone just kept ringing. I guess she was busy so I called my best friend instead.

“Zhou is very busy these days. She kept talking to her parents on the phone but we can’t eavesdrop anyway because they’re speaking Chinese.” Gaeul told me. “Why did you call, anyway? Is there any problem? I just checked the search engine awhile ago and you’re topping again because more fans are finding evidence that you didn’t actually bully that person.”

Instead of telling her my reason about why I called, we suddenly turned to talking about the evidence she was talking about.

“Dude, some dug that she’s actually a fan of Minhyuk because she’s been seen in numerous events where Minhyuk is in. Looks like she got triggered real hard when you were tied up with rumors of dating Minhyuk back then.”

We kept talking about such things and she even told me about some new tea inside the industry. In the end, I didn’t get to tell her I called to tell them that I’m joining whatever they are planning. 

“Let’s go?” Sua stood up and asked us after we finished cleaning our table. We just finished our lunch in the cafeteria.

“Looks like you have gotten more popular ever since we performed on the school trip. More seniors keep asking me about you.” Yeri smirked when she told me about it while we were walking in the corridor.

While the two were busy teasing me about it, I had a different thought about it. They are right. We were the winners of that talent event and I saw how many students were watching there. If a friend of Yoojung recognized me even before our performance, how much more if I really got popular in the school?

It’s a very scary thought especially when I even remember that Yoojung told me about how she knows what kind of scandal I had while I was an idol. She thinks I really did bully someone from my last school.

I stared at Sua and Yeri. If they found out about me, would they think I’m a bad person? They’ve been my friends and I know how much they made me feel belonged. Maybe I should at least tell them what I really was in Seoul, especially that I’m even planning to go back anytime soon.

“Guys--”

“Seo Aera!” 

A loud voice of a girl suddenly called my name from behind. Sua, Yeri, and I turned our heads in chorus to a senior who was looking straight at me with amusement in her expression. She smiled widely at me and then grabbed my hand. I was so confused because I didn’t know her.

“Seo Aera! It really is you. This is crazy.” I was just about to get more confused when it suddenly hit me. Sht. “I’m a fan of your group. I always see you in the cafeteria but I thought you just really look like LightSky’s Aera. When I saw you on the stage during the school trip, I realized it is really you. And I heard your name is really Seo Aera.”

My lips parted. I cannot talk and I just stood there, almost unable to hear anything she says because I’m starting to go crazy inside. I shouldn’t be surprised now because I even thought about this awhile ago.

This is scaring me.

What more can happen? I don’t want to think about it anymore.

“Don’t you have any plan to go back as an idol? You’re one of the most popular members of LightSky! You will succeed even without the group! I will be one of your supporters.”

“Idol?” Yeri suddenly uttered that made me turn to her immediately. She and Sua looked so puzzled at what the senior infront of us was saying.

“Yeri-yah, Sua-yah, didn't you know your friend is one of the newest it-girl in Korea?” She suddenly said that made me more speechless. The bell rang which means the break is already done and we’ll have classes already. “Seo Aera, I’ll be going now. I’ll ask for an autograph and picture next time, okay? Nice to meet you!”

That encounter made me silent. Sua and Yeri didn’t talk nor questioned me regarding it. They might have realized how tensed and anxious I was after that happening which made them silent as well... or maybe they were just really speechless. 

“Hey, are you okay?” Sua asked carefully after a while.  

It was our vacant when we decided to stay on the grassfield in the campus. They usually like staying at the cafeteria when we don’t have classes but maybe because they have realized my mood was, they chose to stay here.

I smiled a bit and sighed. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you guys.”

I know they were shocked when they heard about what the senior has said a while ago but they didn’t even ask anything, stayed careful, and weighed me. 

“Y-you’re an idol?” Sua asked in astonishment. I chuckled a bit before nodding.

“I was.” And I’ll hope to be again. “I left my group because I was causing so much trouble. I allegedly bullied someone in my middle school and that I traumatized her so much.”

For a moment, the two got silent. I stared at them and tried to read their faces. Would they believed that allegation? I won’t be surprised if they also think it is true . Some of my fans believed it back then. 

“You look so weak, can you even slap hard?” Yeri suddenly said that made the atmosphere comedic.

I burst into laughter. Sua slightly hit her friend.

“Were you framed? I’m sure you are. You’re too snob to even bully someone.” My eyebrow arched at Sua. “What? You didn’t know how much of a snob you are? Besides that you’re already intimidating, you don’t even care about your surroundings. That’s why on your first day here, I kept talking to you.”

My lips parted. Maybe it’s because of my face that they think I'm a snob but actually, I’m just really a timid person.

“Wait, so the girls you took pictures with are your groupmates?” Yeri suddenly realized.

I nodded when I remembered they indeed took pictures of us before. They gasped deeply. They looked at me as if they were starting to have flashbacks in their mind and that one by one, the puzzles were fitting their pieces.

“No wonder everyone of you are beautiful!” Yeri exclaimed, and that made me shake my head.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. To be honest, I don’t really want to even remember that I was once an idol for a while. It makes me so regretful that I abandoned my dream .”

“Are you really not going to continue your dream then?” Sua asked carefully. “Was it that bad?”

Smile slowly formed on my lips. “It is. It is so bad but I’m starting to get cleared from those allegations. My friend is helping me with all her might to clear my name from that scandal. And I’m actually planning to go back.”

Their eyes bulged at my sudden announcement. In the end, my two friends here knew my decision faster than my groupmates.

“Really? A-are you going back to Seoul then?”

That’s a question I cannot answer. I haven’t even told any of LightSky members and I don’t even know what they are planning but whatever Zhou’s decision then I will gladly obliged to it. I have a high respect and trust for that lady that I will even entrust my life to her.

But the thing is, there’s a problem.

Just when I thought today couldn't be more wrong, while Sua, Yeri, and I were just about to go home, we suddenly bumped into Minsung and a girl. My eyes directed to Yoojung. She was again smiling from ear to ear as she walked towards us. Minsung followed her from behind.

“Are you going home already? We were asked by Teacher Kim from the library.” Minsung suddenly spoke before Yoojung could even.

“Yeah, we’re going home now.” I said and glanced at our bicycles.

“Hey, Aera, I heard that a lot of students are starting to recognize you on campus. You got more popular after showcasing your talent at the trip. Oh, and actually some guys kept asking me today if you’re the singer of the song we used on the school trip. I don’t really lie so…”

“Yoojung!” Sua reacted quickly. “You could’ve not answered those. You can see how Aera is trying to stay silent about it!”

Yoojung looked taken aback at the loud voice of Sua. She pouted a bit and then nodded to me as if realizing that my friends already knew who I was.

“I didn’t know you’re trying to hide it. You performed on the school trip so I thought you were enjoying your popularity on campus and that you want to brag about being an idol before.” 

“Yoo Yoojung--” Yeri was just about to talk when a baritone voice suddenly cut her off.

“What do you mean?” Minsung suddenly spoke and made all of us look at him.

He was looking straight at Yoojung and he has this menacing air. Although Yoojung was about to talk, when she turned to Minsung and saw how serious the guy was, she quickly withdrew her glance at him and just looked at me. She smiled at me awkwardly.

“By the way, I think some of your fans got information that you’re studying here in Gwangsa. I saw a bunch of ladies asking some students if there’s someone named ‘Seo Aera’ studying here when I got to school today.”

My eyebrow twitched. My heart started pumping hard when she told me that.

“Yoojung, don’t joke like that!” 

Before Sua and Yeri even start a war with Yoojung, I already ran towards the nearby gate of the school. To my surprise, there is indeed a crowd outside the open gate. Some students who were walking towards outside looked so confused with the people hovering in front.

“Oh, the crowd has already increased.” Yoojung said when she followed me from behind.

Sua, Yeri, and Minsung were also on my back already. I cursed breathlessly in fear when I saw the big cameras and other familiar faces of media personnels. This is chaos. 

“How did they find me? Fck.” I brushed my hair up when I started running again.

I heard Sua and Yeri’s voices calling me while they follow me but my mind is already all over the place. I ran towards the other gate of the school just to find out that there’s more people there. Various fansites of mine and more media personnels were waiting.

“You’re really popular, huh? It reminds me of red carpets I only see in awarding shows.” Yoojung chuckled.

“How can you even laugh right now?!” I heard Sua's frustrated tone.

I can feel them fighting on my back but my mind was so haywired that I don’t know what to think first.

How did they know I’m here? Or are they really here for me? Dude, of course, they are here for me! Those are my fansites. I know some of them and most of them are familiar to me because I always see them at our events before. Yoojung even said that someone was asking about me awhile ago. Those people are really here for me.

I’m seriously doomed.

“Seo Aera,” I turned to the person who was walking towards my direction along with other teachers.

Our school principal looks so terrifying as she march towards me but I cannot even concentrate on that as well. I watched the other teachers start barricading the front of the gate of the school. When my eyes wandered, that’s when I only realized that the other students who were walking around inside the campus were looking at me and whispering.

They know now. I’m so freaking sure about it and I don’t even know what will happen to me anymore.

“What  is happening? Why are those people outside waiting for you? There are so many people, the students are getting scared.” The principal spoke in a very concerned way.

I stood stiff in the side. The media outside were looking inside as if they are really eager waiting for someone. I’m so thankful that I'm somehow far from the entrance and that they can’t really see me from where I’m standing.

“Did you do something bad? Why are there so many cameras? Are you going to news?” The teacher who followed the principal asked.

“She is going to news but in a different section.” Yoojung suddenly spoke. “She’s a former idol who bullied a classmate in her middle school, Principal.”

“Hey! Watch out what you say. There are so many articles on the internet right now that debunks that accusation!” Yeri shouted right in front of Yoojung.

I’m slowly getting dizzy at everything. Sua and Yeri were fighting and defending me from Yoojung’s statements to the teacher and principal. The principal and the teacher beside her were in awe while looking at me and hearing my friends' loud voices.

“Let’s go to my office first. We’ll call your parents and look for what we can do, okay?” The principal said afterwards.

Sua and Yeri already held my hands to guide me to the principal’s office but when I heard the word ‘parents’ I froze in my place. What will happen if my parents knew that I’m yet again being problematic because I was found by the media? Will they flood me with words that will kill me? Will they tell me again how much of a disappointment I am to them? 

“My parents are in Seoul.” 

Will they fetch me? They dropped me here in Gwangsa with no one. How can they save me when I’m all alone here? Would they come for me?

“Aera,” I heard Minsung’s voice that made me raise my head to him. “If for now, your parents can’t do anything, I can call my grandpa and ask him to fetch us  using our truck. You won’t be crowded by the people outside if you’re in a car.” He suggested.

But what if we’ll be followed by the media to our house? What if the fansites start digging about him and his family? I don’t want anyone to get involved with this anymore. I’m scared about their privacy.

I’m getting more anxious by the minute because all things are congesting my mind. Dang, how can I even get out here without being crushed by those people outside?! Will they camp if I stay here until dawn?

. I want to cry.

I quickly fished my phone from my pocket. I don’t want to bother anyone anymore. I will ask my parents for help. They are the only ones who can help me. They are my parents and they are the ones who put me here in Gwangsa. It’s not my fault that the media found me because I didn’t do anything.

But fck.

They didn’t answer my call!

I called numerous times on my mother and father’s phone but I guess they are busy. Even the principal starts calling my parents.

“Their secretary…” I uttered when I remembered that maybe I can reach them through their secretary. “I’ll call my mother’s secretary!” I announced before I even clicked the button for a call.

“Miss Seo, good afternoon.”

“Can I talk to mom? This is just really an emergency.” I said quickly when the call got answered.

“Oh, unfortunately, your parents are outside the country right now for their celebration of the company’s anniversary and actually, Miss Seo, I’m on a leave right now so I cannot cater your concern. Have a good day and goodbye for now.” The call was mercilessly cut off. 

I was starting to panic even more. Minsung was looking at me softly while my friends are busy with the principal.

I was just about to put my phone down when a call popped out from the screen of my phone. My lips parted when I read Zhou eonni’s name as the caller ID. I quickly answered it.

“Where are you?” She asked in a very critical tone. “I kept calling you awhile ago, you’re not answering!”

“I-I’m in the school a-and…” I didn’t realize that I was already shaking. Now that I am talking to Zhou, I suddenly feel a big relief. I’m suddenly on the verge of breakdown. “Eonni, tons of media personnel are out there. I also saw many fansites of LightSky! I don’t know how they knew about me--”

“Hey, calm down, alright?” She cut me off when I start panicking as I tell her everything. She breathed heavily before talking again. “Listen, I’m outside your school right now. There's a barricade and many people are crowding the entrance. We cannot enter with our cars. Can you do something about this?”

“Y-You’re here?! Who are you with?!” I start panicking more. I stood up and started walking around the office in fear. “No! No! They will just see you and this will spark more issues. They cannot see you fetching me! I’m already out of the group so--”

“Aera, it’s going to be fine. Calm down.” She cut me off again through her calm and dominating voice. “I didn’t bring my private car and our cars right now are in dark tints. No one will know it’s us. As much as I want someone else to get you out there, my men are in Seoul and it will take time before they get here.”

I nodded to her although she couldn't see me. There’s nothing I can do but just go with whatever Zhou’s plan. I told the principal about her plan and she quickly agreed to it. I waited with Sua, Yeri, and Minsung in the field for Zhou.

Two cars parked in front of us. The black sedan in front quickly opened and Zhou who’s wearing a bucket hat and mask, bowed to the principal first before turning to me.

“I will leave first so the press follows me. You ride on Minhyuk’s.”

“M-Minhyuk?” I turned to the car behind the black auv. The window of that white car rolled down and made Minsung, who’s in white cap, visible.

“He’s the one who got the information that Han Entertainment sold your location to the media. Han Ent’s biggest idol group is having a backlash right now so they are using you to divert the attention.” My jaw dropped. “We’re just about to go here to warn you about it but we’re already late.”

“Noona, you go already. We will leave the campus after half an hour and go to her house to get her clothes.” Minhyuk spoke.

“Get my clothes?” I uttered in confusion.

“You’ll have to go back to Seoul for the meantime. You’re alone here and the media already knows you’re here. They won’t stop bothering you especially that you’re the hot topic right now and that the accuser is saying bullshts again. Stay in your apartment first and contact your parents...if you want.”

I turned to my friends and the principal. Zhou already went back to her car and started the engine. I clenched my teeth before pulling my two friends for a hug. Looking at everything now, I don’t think I can go back here anytime soon.

“I’ll have to go back to Seoul now.” Yeri and Sua slowly nodded to me with sorrowful expressions. As much as I want to feel the same feeling with them, my mind is still all over the place. I don’t know if I’ll feel nervous, scared, or relieved.

“Call us, okay?”

“Will you be back here?” Minsung suddenly asked after I bid my farewell to the two girls. 

My lips parted. I don’t know how to answer that because Yeri and Sua are also anticipating my answer.

“Aera-yah, let’s go now.” Minhyuk from the car called me. I nodded to him and looked back at my friends.

“I’ll have to go now. Thank you.” I smiled at my two friends. I glanced at Minsung and he’s just silently staring at me. It’s the first time I saw his natural intense eyes looking sad. “Thank you, Minsung. For everything.” I smiled sadly at him and made myself the most courageous person.

I slowly leaned closer to him for a hug. I smiled at him for the last time before turning to the principal.

“Thank you for your help.” I bowed deeply.

When I finally entered the car, my eyes were glued to the people on the side watching us leave. My two friends and the principal waved me goodbye while Minsung was still silently staring. I know how dark the window tint is but as if Minsung could see me inside the car, he directly made eye contact with me.

I hope to meet you again...