Fourteen

The Difference Between You And Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey it's okay, if you really don't want to talk then she can't really force you." Ningning assured me as we got out of the car.

 

"I know but we have first period together and I know she's going to try to talk to me right now when we walk in." I sighed, wincing at my backpack which is extra heavy today. I needed to take so many books home over the weekend.

 

"If you need me I'll say something." she said giving me a small smile. I nodded, glancing at the big building in front of us. We both walked up to the entrance, walking in to school. This is the last place I want to be right now.

 

We walked to our lockers casually like normal. I'm just dreading the moment Karina walks up to me because I know she will. She's going to want to talk to me and I'm going to say no. I really don't want to talk to her, at least not now.

 

"You alright?" Ningning asked as she poked my arm. We are at our lockers now and I just nodded, opening mine. I put away all these stupid books I took home that I don't need for class. Well not all but most.

 

I shut my locker when I'm done, turning my body towards my bestfriend. I watched her do what she has to do, not wanting to look anywhere and accidentally make eye contact with Karina.

 

I finally feel what I've been dreading, a slight poke on my shoulder. Ningning looked behind me and then at me with her concerned eyes. It's her, . I turned around slowly, meeting eyes with Karina. She has no makeup on today, and she dressed comfortably.

 

"H-hi." she greeted, staring into my eyes. I quickly broke eye contact and looked down, shifting from my heels to my toes.

 

"Hey." I just responded quietly, waiting for what she has to say. Even though I don't want to.

 

"Will you please just hear me out? Please?" she asked me, the ‘please’ sounding extra emotional this time. What could she possibly want to tell me? for me to just sit there and listen.

 

"I'd rather not Karina." I answered, looking up. "I would really appreciated it if you just leave me alone, okay. This is all complicated." I continued, turning back to Ningning. "walk me to class?" I asked her sweetly. She nodded.

 

"Winter I-" she touched my shoulder again, retracting it almost immediately. I glanced at her. "I'm begging you right now. I'll do anything. You can never talk to me for the rest of your life after that if you want but please just listen to me, Winter..." she pleaded, trying to grab one of my hands.

 

"Karina," Ningning butted in, coming up beside me. I didn't let Karina grab my hand as I waited for what Ningning is going to say. "Would you please just stay away. You put her through a lot and it messed her up. Okay? No is no."

 

Karina's face dropped, opening to say something but then closing. She nodded slowly, looking at me before turning the other way. I watched her walk down the halls with her head down, pushing past everyone.

 

Ningning walked me to class and of course as soon as I walked in, Karina's eyes are right on me. I sat down and went on my phone, minding my own business as I waited for the bell to ring. I can feel her intense stare on me. This is going to be rough.

 

When it was lunch, I didn't see Karina at all. She didn't sit with me obviously and she didn't sit with Mia or Soobin either. She wasn't in the lunch room, at all. I ate silently, hearing Giselle and Ningning talk. Every once and a while Ningning would ask me if I was okay and I'd nod, telling her yes I was.

 

Last period, I figured out, Karina moved her seat. Away from Soobin and Mia. She now sat right behind Ningning since that seat was always open. I didn't look at her once, trying to forget about everything that's happened with her. However I find it hard because we did kiss multiple times and she told me she felt something. Did she?

 

"Hey, want to go get some ice cream after school?" Ningning asked from beside me as the class is about to end. I looked over at her, which causes me to see Karina in my peripheral vision. She's looking at me, of course.

 

"Sure." I smiled a little, looking back at my desk with my head faced downward. I waited patiently for the bell to ring, wanting to get out of here.

 

When the final bell rang, Ningning and I rushed to our lockers so we can get out of here and go get some ice cream. We both closed our lockers at the same time, causing us to laugh hysterically. She grabbed my hand and led me out to her car.

 

We got in the car and Ningning blasts the music right away. She drove to the ice cream place we've gone to everytime, for so many years now. One of the workers there even remembers us everytime we go in.

 

We arrived and went inside, ordering our ice cream and taking a seat. As we eat our ice cream, Ningning started making sounds as she eat hers. I gave her a weird look.

 

"Please don't." I complained, continuing to eat mine. She did it again, making me cover my face.

 

"What? Are you embarrassed of me? Your best friend?" she gasped dramatically, putting her hand over her heart. I rolled my eyes, eating my ice cream and keeping to myself.

 

"It's not such a surprise." I said and smiled, glancing up at her. She pouted, dragging her finger down her face like a tear. What a weirdo. 

 

"Hey um.." I started, "thanks for spending time with me and making me feel better."

 

“Of course Winter. I am your best friend after all. You don't deserve Karina if she really meant to Soobin at that party." she pointed out.

 

"What do you mean 'if'?"

 

She sighed, putting down her cup for a moment. "I mean that maybe you're just so hurt that you don't want anything to do with her and I don't blame you but..she seems super sweet and I don't think she would do anything to hurt you like that." she explained. 

 

I thought for a moment, realizing maybe she's right. Ugh, curse you and your bright thoughts Ningning. My first instinct was to just be mad and nothing else but maybe there's more.

 

"Thanks." I nodded at her. She smiled, finishing her ice cream.

 

"Here, take this. I want to pay for you." she said, handing me a bill.

 

"No you don't have to-"

 

"Oh please you do enough for me, take it." she shook it in front of me. I rolled my eyes before taking it, thanking her sincerely.

 

She then dropped me off back at my house after.

 

___________

 

As for the next day at school, I didn't see a sight of Karina all morning. She wasn't in the halls before first period. She wasn't even in first period. The next time I usually see her would be now, lunch. I'm walking to the cafeteria right now with Ningning. I've really wondered about Ka

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter