Ch 5: Unexpected Meeting

Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The meal was great, and the familiarity of being home and spending time with her father warms her heart. There were only the two of them left. That’s why Tiffany promised to herself that she’d stay by her father’s side to make him feel not left out. Despite her busy schedule, making time for him, and visiting him on their family home or in just any other country he might be staying at, Tiffany makes sure to at least see him once a month.

 

 

The man was old, and Tiffany knew that seeing his only daughter would make him happy, among other simple things.

 

 

They were sitting near the porch, watching the still lake in front of them. It was an old vacation home, and her Dad just made renovations to add it to the Hwang’s many residences.

 

 

“Sweetie, how are you preparing for that fancy dinner the Mayor invited us to?” her Dad asks.

 

 

“There isn’t much preparation, Dad. I only asked my secretary to bring the company’s portfolio to the event. As for me, you know that I don’t have to do anything there but sit and greet everyone prettily.” Tiffany jokes.

 

 

The man laughs, patting his daughter’s hand.

 

 

“You have your mother’s humor and intelligence. That’s why I’m very proud of you.”

 

 

There was a short silence between the father and daughter. Her mother passed away a long time ago, but they were always too sentimental when it came to her memories.

 

 

“The investors ..” Mr. Hwang tells her, “they will be there, and we need to impress them.”

 

 

She nods in agreement, her eyes full of hope, “Of course, Dad, we’ll establish Amare here in memory of Mom.”

 

 

“Don’t worry, I made a couple of friends there already, and they vouched for us. They’ll help us get close to everyone.” he looks at his precious daughter. “Anyway, I was expecting you last Monday. Care to tell me where you’ve been?”

 

 

Tiffany stifles a cough, looking away from him. “I was just tired hanging out with Sooyoung and Sunmi, Dad. I called, didn’t I?”

 

 

He hums in response. “Is there something I should know about?”

 

 

“Nothing, just the usual girl stuff.”

 

 

“If you’re hiding something …. You know, I can set you up with someone and -”

 

 

Tiffany looks at him shocked, Mr. Hwang laughs. “You should go back out there, darling.”

 

 

Her Dad was always supportive, and him saying that means that he is letting Tiffany go out and date again. Although she wasn’t forbidden to date after getting divorced, she just didn’t feel like going out with anyone and committing. After learning about what David did, she didn’t need her father saying ‘I told you he’s an ’ again.

 

 

“In the right time, Dad.”

 

 

“Perhaps, you can meet someone in the ball tonight, or just anyone here in Korea.”

 

 

Hearing him say that, Tiffany unknowingly fixes her turtle neck to hide some evidence, being reminded of a certain someone from Korea her father was telling. She blushes at the thought of it and gives her father a playful hit on his shoulder.

 

 

“Wasn’t it business the reason I traveled here?”

 

 

The man shrugs. “What I’m telling you is that you should have fun and not worry about me that much and Amare.” he gives her a soft smile.

 

 

Tiffany looks away and silently thanks the stars for having a father like him. Love isn’t something she’s looking for. If it comes on her way, then be it. But she won’t be easily fooled again. Handling a divorce was already stressful enough, and getting married twice?

 

 

She would need a couple of liquor bottles and some good convincing to agree to date someone again.

 

 

__________________________________

 

 

Sunmi and Sooyoung hurriedly pull Tiffany away from the group of investors and city representatives, reasoning that they needed some ‘pretty girls time.’  Tiffany just rolls her eyes at the two girl’s silly excuses.

 

 

The dinner party had already started hours ago, and the two were already getting bored because of the formal speeches and greetings. It was a night for influential people that also served as a networking or showcasing system to in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter