The Proposal

Queendom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"My Queen, are you still sulking about my conversation with Princess Wheein last night?" Prince Moonbyul has been trying to win the Queen's good graces since last night but she had no success until their breakfast in the garden. The Queen didn't want other people in the banquet to notice but anyone who's been paying attention would know that the Queen has been undeniably cold to the Prince.

"Why would I be?" Queen Yongsun asked, raising an eyebrow. And why should she admit it even if she really is? She has other matters to worry about other than a mere conversation between the prince and the princess.

"Then why are you acting so cold?" The prince questioned. She was genuinely confused. The only reason she could think of is her conversation with Wheein last night, so if that isn't the reason then she has no clue why Yongsun would suddenly act frigid towards her.

"I'm not sulking. I'm displeased." the Queen clarified. Sulking would mean that she is actually affected by such a petty compliment. Which she is not. She's displeased with the actions of the prince for deliberately playing with Princess Wheein's feelings. Yes. That must be it.

"I'm just having a friendly conversation with the princess last night. I just saved her from having to deal with suitors she's not interested in." The prince reasoned.

The Queen didn't answer for a moment, she pierced the cooked meat and continued slicing with her knife the already sliced steak on her plate. She weighs whether it's worth bringing up what Hyejin told her, or if she's being unreasonable for being irked about it. "Why do you even have to promise something so trivial?" she asked before she could process that she's thinking out loud, the piece of meat swaying along with the fork in her hand.

The prince furrows her brows together, seemingly lost with their conversation.

"Hyejin told me your eyes glowed when you told Wheein she's beautiful." The Queen stated before she could stop herself. The sentence has been lingering at the tip of her tongue since the royal banquet. "Was that really necessary?" Yongsun asked, her expression wasn't one of curiosity but that of dismay.

The Prince finally caught on to what was happening. She gives the Queen a light chuckle. "I cannot control when my eyes glow, Your Majesty. I happen to compliment the princess and she didn't believe me. I only promised her that I'm telling the truth." the prince explained. It was the truth. It's not like the prince couldn't lie, but when she promises with her heart her eyes glow uncontrollably.

The Queen clears for acting so brazenly. She didn't intend for her emotions to get ahead of her. "Well, were you planning to tell me about it?" she asks in a calmer manner.

"Was I supposed to?" The Prince asked back. "I didn't find it that big of a deal." she said taking a bite at her food. She wonders why the Queen is making such a big deal out of it, when she took it so well when the Queen herself saw Byul's eyes glow red. She didn't even ask any further questions. The Queen only accepted what the Prince was willing to share.

"Your eyes glowed red, Your Majesty. That's not something I would call common in this Kingdom." The Queen said, trying to justify her concern over the matter.

But the prince knew better. "I'm just trying to win the good graces of your sisters, Your Majesty. Nothing more." she stated, and if the prince was lying, it didn't show. "Do you not want me to do that?"

Of course, the Queen has her pride. She would not admit it so easily. "I'm honestly not concerned about your dalliances, Your Majesty." Yongsun knows that the prince can have as many wives and mistresses as she wants, and whatever she feels about such privilege, is not something she's willing to explore. "But I would appreciate it if you won't do it inside my castle." she stated as formally as possible. "And definitely not with my sisters." she added. She didn't know if she believes the prince's claim that it was only an innocent compliment. But she clarified her stand about it nonetheless.

The Prince only smirked her signature smirk, seemingly unaffected by the Queen's displeasure about the whole thing. "That wasn't my question, Your Highness. I asked you if you want me to pursue your sisters' good graces or not. Because if you don't want to, then I won't."

Queen Yongsun wants to scold herself for wondering why the prince's eyes didn't glow. She hates that she is overthinking that it might be just a mere statement instead of a promise since Moonbyul's eyes didn't glow. She hates how a part of her wishes the prince was sincere about it. "Of course, I want you to have a good relationship with my sisters." she states. "I just hope you know your boundaries, Your Majesty." she reminded the prince.

They remained quiet after that, quietly consuming the remainder of the food on their plates. But the tension remains palpable between them, that their servants surrounding them was aware of it.

Up until they finished their breakfast and on their way back to the castle, the betrothed couple remained silent.

It was... so it seems, is the couple's first lovers quarrel.

The Queen was the first one to break the silence. They were standing by the Great Chamber's door, the Prince was standing across her. "I'll see you later, Your Highness. Thank you for the lovely breakfast." she said before slightly bowing her head as a gesture of appreciat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter