Inner Demons

Queendom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Unnie!" Hyejin shouted as soon as she saw Wheein trying to sneak out the castle walls again. "Do you really want to test the queen's patience?" she asks when they were only inches apart. "How did you even manage to escape your guards?" She wonders since the queen ordered the royal guards to double their surveillance on both of them. At this point, she wonders whether she can trust the royal guards to secure the kingdom's safety if Wheein and herself can always manage to sneak away from them. To be fair, they're mostly trained to guard against the outside forces, instead of princesses from the inside of the castle.

"I could ask you the same thing." Wheein answered back, noticing that her sister was not accompanied by her guards as well.

"I have my ways." Hyejin replied vaguely. Keeping to herself that she used the exact rope that Wheein used to climb down with, hanging on their window railings, to leave the caste without the guards noticing her. She almost rolls her eyes remembering the lengths she would go to, just to save her sister from being punished. "I only tried to lose them because I know you'll be in trouble if I followed you with them. Surely, they would report it back to the queen."

Wheein smiled gratefully at her sister. "Thank you, Hyejin. I know I could always count on you." she said, patting her sister on the arm before attempting to crawl into the secret passage only both of them knows about.

"You must be mad if you think I'd let you go out there." Hyejin stated, her voice rising in frustration. "You promised you won't go in the woods alone." there was a hint of hurt showing in the second princess' eyes that Wheein quickly took notice of.

Wheein suddenly felt guilty for trying to sneak out again. But in her defense, she feels like she might really go mad if she stayed another day locked up in her room. Her crown felt heavier and heavier each day. The castle felt smaller and smaller each day. And her feelings kept growing and growing. And sneaking out is her only escape from it all.

And she feels like her arrows are the only thing she can take control of in her life right now. She laughs humorlessly at how she can't even control her own feelings at the moment.

"I won't be long." Wheein bargained. "I promise I'd stay safe."

"No." Hyejin disapproved firmly. "They found two people dead at the very forest we used to train on just this morning. At the very forest that we were almost kidnapped in. And you still want to sneak out there?" Hyejin asked, a little agitated because of worry for her sister.

"I wouldn't have to sneak out if the queen would allow us to train here. But it doesn't look like I have much of a choice, do I?" Wheein retorted.

"I'll ask the King myself to train us if you can't do it." the second princess volunteered, speculating that her sister must be reluctant to ask the king about her suggestion with regard to their training inside the castle walls.

"I don't need her." Wheein said firmly, as if stopping herself from thinking about the king for even a second. Anything pertaining to the king is too much for the princess. She was suddenly reminded of the main reason why she's inclined to get out of her prison - that being their castle.

"Do you really want to get yourself killed?!" 

But Wheein looked at her, unfazed. "If I'm forced to stay here then I might as well be." Wheein replied. "These castle walls are suffocating me, Hyejin." The first princess' sad eyes attested to her statement.

Hyejin sighed as her agitation turned into sympathy. "Don't say that." she protested. "I know it's hard for you to stay in the castle..." she trailed off, considering whether to continue her thought or not. "...especially now." she adds, knowing that this isn't just about her sister being a princess. She knows it has something to do with their newly proclaimed king. "But I don't know what I'll do if I lose one of my sisters." the fear was evident in her younger sister's voice that Wheein thought of no other choice but to retreat from her plan.

"Hyejin..." Wheein started, but she didn't know what to say.

"Stay. I'll do everything in my power to convince the Queen to let us train." Hyejin promised, even though she's still unsure how she will do that.

Wheein thought to herself that it isn't about that anymore. She wants to get away - even just for a bit. She wants to get away from the king and her embarrassing confession of her feelings last night.

"Don't." Wheein protested. "I'll think of other ways to make this castle bearable. Don't bother the queen. " she assured her younger sister. "I'll stay put until I know for sure that it's safe in the woods again."

"Thank you." Hyejin finally sighs in relief. It would be nicer if her sister would promise her never to sneak away, but this will do for now. She thought it would take a lot more convincing to stop her sister but it seems like Wheein has no energy to argue with her as well.

Moonbyul is now the King of Solaris. Surely she should be happier than what she is actually feeling right now. Her proclamation would be an addition to her achievements and experience once she inherits the throne of the whole Lunarian empire but somehow she feels underwhelmed. Once she achieved the title, her previous excitement vanished. Somehow she wants more. A lot more. And this has always been her problem. The more power she gets, the more power she wants. She couldn't seem to be satisfied.

And she knows that being in Yongsun's good graces would make it easier for her to achieve more. But there's a voice inside her head that's telling her to get away from the queen as far as possible. And this confuses her- insults her even - that her mind would tell her so. The queen has no power over her. If she wanted, she could've just easily destroyed Yongsun's kingdom and claimed her throne. But she finds no amusement in that. What is a throne if there are no people to rule over? 

Yongsun should be grateful that Moonbyul hasn't harmed her yet.

Yongsun's only right to always think of the worst from Moonbyul, but knowing that the queen thinks this way bothered the king to no end.

She needs to calm herself down or else she might not be able to control herself again.

She walked along the castle gardens to try and clear her mind before she plans on going back to their shared chamber.

Seulgi and Lalice, her royal guards, were both aware of her internal dilemma

"Your Majesty, are you okay?" Seulgi asked, knowing full well that Moonbyul would just shrug it off, so she was taken aback when her King sighed heavily.

"It's only been a day since we were married and yet we're already having marital problems. Can you believe that?" Moonbyul stated.

Sure, Byul believes that trust is for children, but Seulgi and Lalice are exemptions to that. It's normal for the king to talk to Seulgi and Lalice about her thoughts once in a while. She trusts both Seulgi and Lalice with her life - only because they have proven themselves to her; they've faced death together. They were mere children when they all became friends. And if anyone knows Byul, it's them. But Moonbyul would never be caught alive admitting any of that.

"And whose fault is that, Your Majesty?" Seulgi asks with a straight face.

Moonbyul didn't answer. "My reputation really does precede me. And Yongsun is no exemption to that, I would say." she says in disappointment.

"Your reputation never bothered you before, Your Majesty. What makes this different?" Lalice asked.

And as if she was woken up from a hazy dream she tilts her head high, "Nothing. This is nothing." she says to herself more than anyone else.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter