Red Orbs

Queendom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Have you gone in the woods again?" Princess Hyejin asked as soon as her sister arrived.

"Yes, Hyejin. And no, I didn't get into any trouble." Wheein replied the same answer she always say, since they always have this conversation after she's gone to practice archery. She's a little disappointed that her sister hasn't grown tired of it, but she's not surprised; Hyejin has always been that persistent.

Princess Hyejin narrows her eyes at her older sister. "I don't believe you.", Hyejin's senses are heightened when it comes to people's intention- at least, some of the time. Her regular visit to their high priestess, Lee Da Hee, is slowly paying off. "I could sense that you're lying." But even without her training with their high priestess, she knows her sister too well.

Princess Wheein huffs, "I could never lie to you." she says in defeat.

"What have you gotten into now?" Hyejin asks, both concern and curiosity filled her eyes. She rarely goes with her sister to sneak out of the castle walls, but she enjoyed each time she does so. Whenever her sister would go by herself, she feeds her satisfaction by listening to her sister's stories.

But it doesn't refrain her from worrying about her sister. If she gets caught she'll surely get punished. Sure, their older sister would definitely be forgiving, but it would make her look biased in front of the royal advisors. 

"I met a prince." Wheein whispered excitedly. She's not actually sure if the person she met was a prince. But his suit resembled that of what their father used to wear, if not fancier. But she's sure it was royalty, given that the person was wearing a finely made suit than the rest of the group.

"A prince?!" Princess Hyejin exclaimed in excitement. She's never seen other royalties visit from other kingdoms. Their Kingdom doesn't hold many royal banquets. And whenever there is banquets in other Kingdoms, only their oldest sister was allowed to join. Their father has always been protective of her and Princess Wheein. He would say they're both still young, and Princess Yongsun would only come to find prospects for her marriage. 

Princess Wheein nodded while smiling.

"Is he handsome?" Hyejin asked in a giddy tone, a side of her that she only allows showing with her sisters.

The princess nods again, her smile even wider. Even though she was wary of the presence of the group she encountered, she couldn't help but take note of the prince's face. She reminisces that the prince had almost feminine features, yet Wheein still found him handsome. "He is." she said with a cheeky grin on her face.

Princess Ahn Hyejin groans. "I wish I came with you this time." she said in regret. Like her sister, she's also getting tired of the same faces she sees inside the castle. "Oh-" Hyejin then remembers the Queen telling them that her betrothed would visit in a week. "What if it's the Prince of Lunaria? The one Yongsun-unnie is going to marry." She said, adding 'unnie' to her sister's name in respect to her older sister.

Wheein didn't know why she was suddenly frightened at the idea. But she was quite bothered by it to say the least. "Didn't unnie say that the Prince of Lunaria would come a week from now?"

"You're right." Hyejin agrees. "She did say that the Prince of Lunaria is actually a woman." the princess notes.

"Really?" Wheein asked almost instantly, furrowing her eyebrows. "She didn't tell me that."

Hyejin laughs. "What do you mean?" she asked, "You were right beside me when she told us." she says, shaking her head, assuming that her sister didn't listen attentively as usual.

Wheein was suddenly in deep thought, she thinks it would make sense why the prince she just met had feminine features, but then again, why would she come earlier? And with only two guards and one servant in a convoy? She convinces herself that it's probably a different prince. Besides, the prince of Lunaria was rumored to be ruthless, why would the stranger let her go if it was really the Prince of Lunaria?

"Why would she be called a prince if she's a woman, then?" Wheein rightfully asked.

Princess Hyejin tilted her head. "You should've asked the Queen that when she told us. I didn't pay any mind to it and assumed it was some sort of Lunarian custom."

"I highly doubt it." Wheein stated. "But maybe their kingdom isn't as equal to men and women as we are here. That's why they felt the need to address the empire's only heir as 'prince'."

Hyejin shrugs. "No matter. Let's just ask the queen some other time."

Queen Yongsun studies herself in the mirror.

Her reflecti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter