Royal Banquet

Queendom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Royal Banquet for the official announcement of the Betrothed and the unification of the two Kingdoms: Lunaria and Solaris has begun.

Royalties and noble people from neighboring Kingdoms gathered to celebrate the engagement of Queen Kim Yongsun and Prince Moon Byulyi. It was one of the biggest events of the season, and Solaria knows this. That's why the whole Kingdom prepared for the festivities that are about to ensue. Even the streets leading to the castle were well-lit and decorated just for the occasion. There were banners at every corner of the Kingdom having colors that represent both Solaria and Lunaria. The Kingdom was also decorated with a variety of arranged white flowers to symbolize the purity of the unity of both Kingdoms.

The buffet table is filled with only the best meals and delicacies that the Kingdom of Solaris is known for, prepared by the royal kitchen in accordance with the Queen's order.

Queen Yongsun smiles to herself. She's relieved that her people's efforts paid off, as she sees the guests having a great time, and seems to be enjoying themselves.

But what she didn't expect was the arrival of the Emperor and Empress of Lunaria, Prince Moonbyul's parents. She was informed beforehand that they wouldn't be able to attend, so she wasn't mentally prepared to face them tonight. She wonders if the Prince knows about their change of plans, and if so, she wonders why she didn't tell her. But a Queen has got to do what she has to.

"Announcing the arrival of Emperor Yoon Gi and Empress Hyun-ju of Lunaria Empire, Rulers of the Twelve Kingdoms of the North."

She takes a deep breath as she readies herself to face them. The crowd was suddenly on their feet as soon as they hear the announcement, putting on their best foot forward as they plaster their best smile, just for the mere second that the Emperor and Empress would pass them by. Some are eager to impress and catch the attention of the royalties, others trying their best to not get in the Emperor's line of sight, as if they're scared that one mistake would cost their lives.

It was the first time the Queen would meet the Emperor and Empress, and seeing how the royalties and noblemen were acting, she could see why her father insisted that she marry their one and only daughter. They were untouchable. And just by looking at how the Emperor and Empress present themselves, Yongsun realizes how any Kingdom that would dare to oppose the Lunaria Empire would be like asking for their death wish.

She was becoming more nervous with every step that the Empress and Emperor makes towards her. The presence of her sisters behind her was the only thing giving her strength. But right before Emperor Yoon Gi and Empress Hyun Ju stop in front of her, Prince Moonyul holds her hand, and she didn't know why but somehow she eased herself, and she wasn't as nervous as before. The Queen gives the Prince an incredulous gaze, clearly surprised by the contact, her features soften as she gives Moonbyul a thankful smile. The Prince returned it with a smile of her own.

The interaction did not go unnoticed by the Prince's parents.

"I see that your stay here has been well, my daughter." Emperor Yoon Gi comments "I can see that you're already well acquainted." he added, looking at the Queen and Prince's intertwined hands. the Empress only nods in agreement with a smile plastered on her face.

The Queen of Solaris couldn't look at the Prince's parents in the eyes, as if they have a blinding glow surrounding them.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Your Majesties." Yongsun greets, taking a curtsy as she bowed to them with both hands on her dress. The Prince joins her as she bows with her fist on her chest, a custom that Lunarians practice.

The Princesses, follow suit as they bow to the Empress and Emperor as well.

Both the Emperor and Empress nod at them smiling, for bowing is unquestionably beneath them. "I didn't know King Nam Joon has such beautiful daughters." the Empress gives the three Solarian royalties a compliment.

"Indeed." Emperor Yoon Gi nods in agreement. "Celebrations such as this are a great time to find the best suitors for you, Young Princesses, is it not? If I had known any better, I would have offered my daughter to all three of you." the King jesters.

Princess Ahn Hyejin only smiles. It's a good thing she's good at hiding her real emotions, otherwise, she'd look very disgusted with the idea. She doesn't need any man to rule a Kingdom. Hyejin notes to herself.

On the other hand, Wheein's obvious disdain just of the mere idea pushes Moonbyul to redirect their conversation. She didn't want the Emperor to notice her reaction and have the wrong impression.

"I thought you won't be able to make it tonight, Father." Moonbyul notes.

"I just wanted to catch you both off guard. Just for the fun of it." The Emperor remarks. The Prince only smiles, she's used to the Emperor's antics.

The Queen concludes where the Prince got her traits.

"Is the Prince treating you well, Queen Yongsun?" Empress Hyun-ju asks.

Is the Prince treating her well?

Yongsun didn't know how to answer that. The Prince has a way of making her feel special, but the Queen would always find herself questioning the sincerity of Prince Moonbyul. And it wasn't only because she's skeptical of the Prince's intentions, but because sometimes the Prince herself makes her feel as if everything is too good to be true.

 But the Queen finds herself nodding. "Yes, Your Majesty." she says with a tight-lipped smile.

"I do?" The Prince asked, a proud smile plastered on her face as if it's important to her to receive the Yongsun's affirmation.

That Yongsun couldn't help but tell her, "Yes, yes you do." The Queen attested.

"I guess you really are turning a new leaf, Moonbyul." The Emperor notes. "That's nice to know." he says, placing a hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Shall we continue the celebration?" Empress Hyun Ju asked.

"Are you that elevated to dance, Mother?" The Prince comments with a teasing smile on her face.

The Queen smiles at the sight of the Prince being a playful daughter, a side of her that's new to the queen. But then, it made her miss her own parents. She smiles sadly, hoping that wherever her parents are right now, they'd be proud of her. It's all she ever wanted, after all.

The Prince noticed that Queen Yongsun was in a trance, her melancholy was visible.

"How about we start the dancing, Your Majesty?" Moonbyul asks as she offers her hand in front of the Queen, to distract her from whatever it is that's making her seem sad.

The Queen looks up, meeting Byul's eyes. "It would be an honor, Your Highness." she says, placing a hand on the Prince's soft one.

"Excuse us, Your Majesties." Byul says before guiding the Queen to the center of the dance floor.

"I must warn you, Your Highness, I'm not very good at dancing." Yongsun notes just before Prince Moonbyul stops in the middle of the crowd, pulling her by the waist as they stand close to each other. Yongsun blushes as she was reminded of their previous position in the garden.

The Prince places his hand at the Queen's waist, while her other hand holds the Queen's left hand in the air just above their shoulders. "Somehow, I doubt that." the Prince remarks. Someone like Queen Yongsun would've practiced such dances growing up.

"Queen Yongsun places her free hand on the Prince's shoulders as they both take a step in a slow ceremonial dance.

"You seemed upset earlier, My Queen." the Prince notes.

The Queen shakes her head gently. "I just missed my parents, that's all. I wish they'd been here to witness this." Yongsun shared effortlessly. She realizes it's the first time she told anyone how she really feels about her parents' death. She's surprised that she was able to admit it to the Prince easily. She doesn't admit even to her younger sisters that she misses their parents, mostly because she wanted to appear strong in front of them.

"I'm sure they'd be proud of you." Prince Moonbyul comments, reassuring the Queen that she's doing a great job.

"I sure hope so." Queen Yongsun replies mindlessly.

"I'm sorry." The Prince mentions.

The Queen smiles, "Why would you apologize?" Yongsun questions, it's not like the Prince is at fault. "It was something no one has any control over. I'd like to think it happened for a reason."

The Prince nods. "I guess you are right."

The Queen smiles at the Prince, thankful that the Princ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter