Part 2

Out Of The Shadows [Series]

With your eyes closed, it wasn’t as nerve-wracking to sing in front of Kihyun. You were hyper-aware of him being in the room still, but you couldn’t see him, and that helped you begin at least.

Deep down, you were trying to contain your excitement of meeting the idol in the flesh.

Just how many times had you heard the tail end of his sessions with Boah, star-struck to the point of being too nervous to peek your head into the studio you had been encouraged to enter so many times now? Boah had insisted you meet the idol one day, knowing his skills could help yours along.

Now, Kihyun was a mere couple of feet away from you, singing with ease to one of the songs you had learned because he had covered it last year.

You were a little overwhelmed, suffice to say.

Somehow, pulling from within the deepest reserves of your strength, you managed to sing right through the first chorus and into the second verse without wobbling too much. You weren’t on top form, but you couldn’t be expected to be when you normally sang only in front of Boah. Still, when you finally fluttered your eyes open and saw Kihyun’s mouth slightly ajar in awe, it made you relax.

He wasn’t as scary to sing in front of as you imagined him to be.

Boah, noticing the second chorus was arriving, gestured to Kihyun to join in, and he nodded, watching you intently before finding the right spot to jump in again, attempting to harmonise with you. You pulled back just a little in the chorus to allow him to overpower through his falsetto. By the time you both reached the bridge together, you couldn’t help the smile forming on your lips, and Kihyun’s grin was unmistakable. It got to the point that you were both exhilarated by the impromptu collaboration that Kihyun slipped into a head voice instead of his falsetto, and you giggled, the song fizzling out with you too impressed by one the other to continue.

“You got your duet,” Boah breathed, clapping slowly, and you frowned, wondering who she was talking to out of you both. “And I got shivers. Okay, Kihyun, I get your vision now.”

“What vision?” you asked curiously, reaching for your bottle of water before handing your spare one to Kihyun.

He thanked you, biting his bottom lip as he unscrewed the cap. God, he was incredible.

“This one overheard you and started fantas—”

“From one professional to another,” Kihyun jumped in quickly, shooting Boah a dark look before smiling shyly at you. “I just admired what I heard and wanted to see how our voices would mix together.”

“Oh, I’m no professional,” you rejected, shaking your hands to accompany your words. “I just come here to improve my skills.”

“You could’ve fooled me,” Kihyun admitted, and Boah grabbed his forearm politely.

You knew what she was doing, especially when you caught her sombre gaze.

There was once a strong desire in you to make singing your career. You had dreamed of it for as long as you remembered. And for most of your youth, you were known by everyone as addicted to singing. As an adult, that hadn’t stopped either. If you didn’t sing, you felt suffocated.

And you never wanted to struggle to breathe again.

“You probably have to meet up with your manager, right?” Boah suddenly stated, breaking the comfortable environment that had begun to develop in your practice room.

It was strange to think you could be this composed around an international superstar.

Kihyun groaned, pulling out his phone from his pants pocket dejectedly to check it. “Yeah. Hyung will be here for me by now.”

You didn’t know how to voice your emotions, toiling back and forth with gushing how you felt and trying to seem cool in front of the singer. You had no idea when you would ever get an opportunity like this again, so you swallowed back your building nerves and went to open your mouth.

Kihyun beat you, however.

“It was an honour to hear and sing with you today. I could sing your praises over and over, but I don’t have time to right now.”

“Oh, please. The honour is all mine.”

Kihyun grinned, standing back up and holding out his hand for you to take. You looked at the warm invitation, shifting your hand out of your sleeve just enough for him to take it.

It was unlike the first handshake when you met. Singing together had broken down some of the sheer anxiety you felt as soon as he walked through the door. This time, you held it longer, lifting your gaze to meet his. Kihyun smiled brightly, his eyes scrunching up into little crescents briefly.

“I hope we can sing together again really soon, Y/N.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “I’d go crazy if I couldn’t.”

You were pretty sure that once you were completely alone, you were going to go crazy too.

From all your raging emotions.

“Come on, you charmer. Let Y/N finish her private practice in one piece, huh?” Boah ushered Kihyun to the door, and after waving him off, she shut it and looked back at you, scrutinising your expression.

Boah knew you well enough now that she could usually figure out how you felt without telling her out loud. She grinned. “Smitten, are we?”

“I wouldn’t go as far as—”

“Well, he is. I’ve never seen Kihyun like that before.”

“What do you mean? He has sung with some of the very best in our country!”

Boah nodded. “But he was eager to impress you. Looks like your voice has won him over.”

“Yeah, it’s definitely my voice,” you mentioned quietly, glancing down at your shoes.

“Kihyun isn’t someone who will take your appearance in and think poorly of you. If anything, I think I might have to watch out for him.”

You looked up, confused. “Why?”

“If he throws my star singer off her game with those charms of his, or equally, you throw him off his concert preparations, then I’m going to be in a bit of a pickle.”

You laughed. “Whatever, Boah. It was just a one-time thing.”


 

Except it wasn’t.

Thanks to Boah mentioning that she had a session booked with Kihyun the following week, you were on edge, wondering if you could naturally cross paths with the man who had been on your mind ever since that day.

You had made plans to step out of your usual practice room five minutes before his session, with the excuse of getting some fresh water from the kitchen and bumping into him in the waiting room you needed to enter to get there. However, as you sat and counted down the minutes to your scheduled time to spring into action, there was a knock on the door precisely thirteen minutes before it.

And when you peeked out it, Kihyun beamed at you. “Hello Y/N!”

“Kihyun,” you mumbled, flustered with his surprise visit.

“Can I come in?” he asked, and you threw the door open, the idol chuckling at your energy. He rocked back and forth on his heels once inside. “Glad I’m not the only one excited to see you.”

“You’re excited to see me?”

He nodded genuinely. “Of course. I had a blast last week.”

“Me too.”

“What are you singing this week?” he wondered, looking at your composition books and laptop attached to the monitor on the desk.

Realising what was up there, you shut it quickly, attempting to smile inconspicuously.

Kihyun chuckled. “I saw it, you know.”

“I was hoping you didn’t.”

“My eyesight is sharp when I need it to be,” he humoured and then shrugged. “Come on, then. I’ll be able to help you with this song easily.”

“Considering you sing it?” you remarked dryly, and Kihyun grinned.

Another knock interrupted you twenty minutes later, and Kihyun groaned, leaning towards you from his seat. He smirked. “Looks like I’m in trouble.”

“Your lesson!” you gasped, and Kihyun sighed as he got to his feet, heading over to the door.

Boah gave you both a pointed look.

“Blame me, noona. I interrupted your star singer here.”

“We lost track of time,” you admittedly with a cringe.

The teacher didn’t say anything. Grabbing Kihyun by the ear, however, you rushed to watch her take him down the hallway to her studio.

“Alright, noona! I’ll make sure to focus really hard on today’s session. Let my ear go!”

“I didn’t clear my schedule to fit you in at this time for nothing, Yoo Kihyun!”

Stifling a giggle, you closed the door and leaned against it.


 

Boah didn’t deter Kihyun, or you, for that matter. In fact, her quiet reminders of when Kihyun would be in her office each week were aimed entirely for you to hear, and you rejoiced with the knowledge each time. Either before or after his session, he would have at least half an hour to spare with you, which surprised you knowing how busy his daily life must be.

“Don’t worry,” he mentioned when you finally pointed it out three weeks later. “My company values my voice. So, me coming to see my vocal coach outside of the trainers we have there is seen as important to maintain each week.”

“But you’re staying longer,” you reminded as Kihyun scrolled through a list of music on your computer.

He stopped, glancing at you and smiled. “I’m still doing important work here.”

You were buzzing the whole time in his company.

However, you could tell that he had questions brewing after some time spent with you. Everyone always did when you made it obvious you were different. Sure, you could use excuses, as you had when he asked if you were hot in your long-sleeved top one time, but they didn’t placate people for long.

Humans were naturally too curious for their own good.

“You know, I don’t get it, Y/N,” he mentioned softly after you had taken a break from singing for him. You looked at him and saw the way he was regarding you.

It immediately made you arrange the sleeves on your arms. “Get what?”

“Why do you do that?”

“Hm?”

“Your arms. Sorry, are you body-conscious about them?” he wondered innocently, and you nodded immediately. Thankfully, that was enough for Kihyun, and he cleared his throat, going back to his original thought process. “Why haven’t you pursued a career as a singer?”

I have, you thought inwardly, the multiple attempts to audition for companies all ending in failure.

“Y/N? What are you thinking of?”

“I don’t have it in me to become a singer,” you said carefully, avoiding his gaze.

Kihyun scoffed. “You’re one of the most powerful singers I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. How do you not have it in you?”

“Singing is one thing…”

“Are you too shy?” he questioned, shaking his head. “No, that’s not it. You were nervous that first time, but you still sang. I’m convinced you could sing in front of anyone.”

“Not really,” you replied awkwardly, reaching over for the mouse his hand rested on top of, attempting to change his focus.

You hadn’t been careful enough, and his gaze on your wrist was obvious. Slipping your sleeve over it, you snatched the mouse from him and busied yourself on the computer.

For a moment, you were both silent.

“I’m sorry for pushing you,” Kihyun breathed out, and you stilled entirely, aware of how raw his voice was. “I just got greedy on your behalf.”

“Greedy?”

“I know a voice like yours would be snapped up in a heartbeat at any company, Y/N. You could be an asset. A household name if you wanted to be. Or Youtube. You could do covers and—”

“I appreciate your support, truly,” you said, shakily cutting in on his hope building speech.

You had your hopes crushed one too many times by the world he was talking of.

Smiling flatly at the singer, you shook your head. “Someone like me can’t make it as a singer.”

“Someone like you?”

“Don’t play dumb. I’m not pretty or skinny like idol girls are. I can’t dance, nor could I even if I had the endurance to try.”

Because there had been once a time where you were taking dance lessons. And it almost killed you.

“None of that matters,” Kihyun started, but you shook your head firmly.

“All of that matters! You’re handsome and talented, Kihyun. You have what it takes. Someone like me is best left in this room.”

“Doing what? Improving your singing skills for what exactly?!”

“For myself!” you exclaimed, breathing heavily at one another. His eyes searched yours, looking for what you had locked away from him. You diverted your gaze away, lowering your head completely. “Please go. I don’t need a pep-talk from an idol.”

“Is that how it is now, huh? An idol? Not a friend?” he replied curtly, dragging his chair back and standing up. His tone was strained, and you closed your eyes, trying to avoid the pain within his expression that you knew was there. “Thanks for the reprieve from my idol life for the last month. I guess I better get back to reality.”

“No, Kihyun! Wait!” you called out, but it was too late, the man slamming the door shut behind him.