Final

Out Of The Shadows [Series]

Kihyun could tell something was wrong as soon as the song started. The host, who had left him on the stage after the fifteen-minute introduction, reappeared momentarily with a worried expression before someone called him back. Being the professional he was, Kihyun focused on singing the first verse and remained looking out into the sea of press and Starship personnel. The lighting was moody to go along with the words he sang, and it helped that it wasn’t shining directly into his eyes.

It enabled him to look out into the faces in front of him.

Just as he neared the chorus, he spotted s sitting there, though Changkyun was getting up and going somewhere. Why? He didn’t have a clue, and nor could he show that it had thrown him off a little. It was a good thing that he knew this song enough to sing it in his sleep.

The practise he had put in with Nina lately also had his body on autopilot, swinging towards the side of the stage where Starlet would appear. He held a breath for some reason, waiting for your voice to come through from behind the wall that separated you both.

Instead, it came from the top of the stairs.

It was as if the world has stopped moving. There, instead of the red hair and midnight gown he had seen earlier, something sparkled. Slowly, as the lights above swung up the dark grey gown, a thousand stars illuminated back at him.

He couldn’t believe what was happening.

You managed your way down the stairs as if you had been the one practising this stage with him. Your voice didn’t falter, and whilst you didn’t look at him, he could feel your full attention washing over him. Asking him to lead, even though you were doing a damn good job of it yourself.

The stunned expression on his face moved into one of affection, his lips and eyes curling up in greeting when you finally caught his eye. He extended his hand out for yours, taking you in as you both began to sing together.

Just like before.

Except it was completely new too. Under the lights, you shone like the star he had envisioned you to be. You weren’t the meek woman who hid herself in a practice room. Or one who wore clothing to deflect what felt broken beneath. Here on this stage with him, you had stepped out and away from the shadows.

You outshone him in every way.

His voice came out stronger, his emotions laced with every word. It was as if you had both stood on this stage a hundred times before. As if this moment wasn’t your first debut in front of a crowd. Looking out into the audience for the first time, Kihyun was proud to be standing here with you as they snapped the biggest scandal of the year.

He almost began to laugh. Would they be more concerned that you weren’t Starlet’s so-called manager but the actual voice behind the act now? He wanted to know what Breaking News within the hour on all the media outlets would be.

As you headed into the high notes together, Kihyun turned back to you, breathing you in and singing you out, right as you did the same for him. You were one on that stage, perfectly in sync, perfect together.

He couldn’t ever imagine anyone else for him now.

The song drew to a close, and it wasn’t until you looked at him again that he realised a tear had slipped down his cheek.

You had done it together. He didn’t care what the cost would be when you were both off this stage. Gripping your hand, you squeezed it back, shooting him a smile that said it all.

I finally got my dream. Thanks to you.

 

Of course, as soon as Kihyun had pulled you backstage, there wasn’t even a moment for him to ask what had happened. Terry had pounced like a tiger, and Changkyun had punched someone again. This time, it wasn’t Kihyun, which he was somewhat grateful for, especially since he hadn’t been punched in the nose like Terry was.

“I don’t care if you try to take legal action on me for that,” the youngest of Monsta X proclaimed, staring down at the man whining on the ground. “You want to know who is at fault here? Take a look in the mirror, .”

Five minutes later, Viviana had produced a bag of ice from somewhere and Kihyun was huddled next to his friend. “Well, I suppose I shouldn’t be jealous that you punched him after all. Did you break your hand?”

“You shouldn’t have done that,” you cried, holding the ice gently to Changkyun’s swollen knuckles.

Changkyun grunted in pain. “It was worth it. And before you ask, Nina is fine. I helped her hide.”

“You both planned this?”

“Actually, the mastermind is here,” Jooheon announced, walking into the room with a smug smile. “Aren’t I clever?”

Hyungwon brushed past him. “Don’t listen to him. I was the one who suggested it first. He’s just rolling with it because he has the bigger mouth.”

“You all were in on this?” you asked, looking around at the members filtering into the dressing room. You then stared at Kihyun. “Did you know?”

“No.”

“Neither. Not until five minutes before I went up.”

“You look beautiful, Y/N,” Hyunwoo announced as Minhyuk let out a low whistle.

“She ought to for how big this scandal is. The Press are trying to break backstage as we stand here. I think we should head for the exit, don’t you?”

“I’m probably going to need to stay here, aren’t I?” you commented quietly, looking down at yourself as if you were seeing everything finally. You fisted your dress in your hand tightly. “What do I say?”

“Nothing, because you’re coming with us. Let management handle this. After all, they know what to say to make everything alright again,” Minhyuk stated with a wicked smile. Kihyun couldn’t help but laugh.

He wondered how Starship would pull themselves out of this mess.


 

“Y/N, your client is here!” Boah called out, and Kihyun chuckled at the statement. His original vocal trainer rolled her eyes. “What?”

“Did I say anything?”

“No. Not for a very long time did you say a thing to me,” she reminded, and he rolled his eyes. Boah had been at him like this for months. Granted, he understood why. She hadn’t been too thrilled about your idol career, and how it had ended.

After your first performance out on that stage, you had opted to quit. Starship scrambled their way through the scandal of using both Nina and you as one idol, and thankfully due to the media hype, enough lawyers had reached out to help you both break free from the contract. There was a loophole found and the court ruled in your favour quickly. For the fans, the outrage of being duped had come and gone, with more people supporting both you and Nina than dismissing you. Calls still came in for your voice, and Nina had moved on to teaching dance at one of the top studios in Seoul.

Neither of you wanted to climb back on stage again, admittedly.

But that didn’t mean your singing career was completely over. You had recorded another album from Changkyun’s studio he now owned outside of Starship. And Sewoon had gotten his duet with you finally too.

However, these days, Kihyun found you back where he had discovered you first.

You grinned at him as you appeared in the doorway of your practice room. “Are you coming in for your session, or should I have booked another client instead?”

“Miss Vocal Coach, you certainly are hard to schedule time in with lately,” Kihyun announced as he stepped into the room and shut the door.

You shrugged. “I guess someone told the world I’m good at singing but not so great at the idol business.”

“I guess that someone should be pleased with herself for giving it a go and now getting to help others with their idol dreams too, huh?”

“I believe that someone is pleased, yes,” you confirmed, stepping into his space and sliding your arms around his waist. Kihyun leaned down to kiss you, savouring your taste on his mouth. “I didn’t book you in to have an hour of kissing my breath away, Yoo Kihyun.”

“Did you perhaps book an hour with me so I could spend some time with my very busy girlfriend, though?”

“Hmmm.”

“I’m a paying customer,” he reminded, kissing you twice more before he stepped back to size you up. Lately, you had been changing your fashion. Of course, you still wore what was comfortable. But now dresses, like the navy number you had on, had mixed into your personal style. He happened to like it a whole lot.

He had insisted on buying the dress you wore that night on stage too. It was framed and hung up on the wall of your shared apartment as a reminder of what you had gained from stepping out of the darkness that had consumed you for too long.

“Sing with me,” you asked as your hands slipped down to take his. He allowed you to pull him over to your setup, your growing smile making him pause for a moment before he sat down.

“What are you planning?”

“Remember the first time I met you in here?”

Kihyun chuckled. “How could I ever forget? You were trying to hide your hands up your sleeves every five seconds.”

“Don’t poke fun at me! I meant the song we sang together.”

“Natural?” You nodded, and Kihyun finally sat down. “Why are we returning to that song today?”

“I never got to tell you how I truly felt after singing that with you.”

“And now?”

“Now, I just want to remember how that moment felt. Sing with me, Kihyun. For old time’s sake.”

“No.”

“Why not?!”

“Not for old time’s sake, Y/N. I plan to sing with you every day for the rest of my life.”

“You do realise, as an idol, you’re hardly going to be here every day of our lives. You’re off touring and—”

Cutting you off with a chaste kiss, Kihyun then groaned. “You’re supposed to be falling for my charming words, right now, not being so sassy and logical.”

You grinned, sliding a hand over his jaw before leaning in close once more. “I already fell for you and your charms. Isn’t that what got me out of the shadows in the first place?”