/ məˈræŋ /

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

F I F T E E N

Word of the Day – “Meringue”

 

The week flew by like a plane and it was officially time for the evaluation regarding her performance in dishwashing.

Miyoung didn’t know what to expect but she made it a point to be on very good terms with Sungjin the whole time so that they could work better together aka him doing most of the work but of course, that was between the two of them. They were sneaky about it.

“So, my dear. Congratulations on getting through the dishwashing training. I honestly didn’t know you’d get through it, let alone even agree to it.” Her father adjusted himself on the chair as he grabbed his cup of tea. “How did you make her agree, Kyungsoo? I really want to know.” He asked, chuckling in amusement.

Doh Kyungsoo quietly sat beside the old man, his gaze knowingly pasted in Miyoung’s direction.

She felt the tension on the back of her neck rise and did her very best to look back with pride while waiting for him to say something smart, just as usual.

“Eh, she’s pretty obedient when it comes to me so I didn’t have to do much, really. Although I had to cook instant noodles for her, that was about it.” Kyungsoo replied nonchalantly, her father looking way too impressed for her own liking.

Seriously? Miyoung stared at him in disbelief. Was the man trying to imply that she was that easy? That was not how it went at all. It didn’t take this bastard two seconds to inflict slavery unto her. And besides, cooking instant noodles was his idea, she didn’t even ask for it! “Yeah, just the worst instant noodles I’ve ever tasted. Dad, he overcooked the hell out of it. Does he serve food like that in our restaurant? You need to look into it.” She rebuked.

Her father raised his eyebrows in skepticism as he looked at his head chef. “We were—the thing was—” Kyungsoo paused, rolling his eyes all the way up as if he had run out of words.

The tables had once again turned and Miyoung reclaimed the top. She knew the man was never going to explain the truth about the mushy noodles. “Is that true, Kyungsoo? You overcook… instant noodles. Really?” Her father asked. He didn’t seem genuinely upset because a teasing smirk hinted on the edge of his mouth.

“First of all,” Kyungsoo clasped his palms together. “I’m so used to using fresh unprocessed ingredients that I have forgotten to handle simple food like … instant noodles.”

To her disappointment, her father seemed to have liked the witty answer and laughed even louder while palming Kyungsoo’s back. “You really know how to get away with things, huh? Okay, fine. I’ll take that excuse. I’ll let you off, son.” The older man joked.

“Anyway—” Kyungsoo took a sip on his can of cola. “—she failed.”

“WHAT?” Miyoung stood up, glowering back at him who gladly shared the eye contact while shrugging his shoulders.

Her father jammed his arms in between them across the table, using himself as a barrier. “Alright, no need to fight. Just—just sit back down, Miyoung. We’re going to talk about this like adults, okay? Sit down, please.” He ordered, nodding persuasively at her.

Anger rushed through her system, her dim gaze never leaving Kyungsoo’s laid-back ones. She tightened her grip on the edge of the table, physically abstaining from throwing hands. “You can ask Sungjin, he will tell you that I worked hard! You’re just failing me for no reason.” She defended herself, shifting her eyes from one man to another.

Considering her argument, her father peered at the other man. “Did you ask for Sungjin’s feedback, son?” He asked with an arched eyebrow.

“Yes, I did, Boss. And as expected, the kid did say that Miyoung worked very very hard together with him.”

Miyoung just stared at him in disbelief, not quite grasping what the problem was anymore. She knew there was more to it and she could already feel the bullets of sweat forming on her temples.

“But I’m the head chef. I know everyone very well so I know Sungjin was lying to me. I see everything, even during the times that I’m not in the kitchen, I still see everything.” He ended his feedback while flashing the gesture I-have-my-eye-on-you at her.

“Are you implying that I made Sungjin say that?” Miyoung hollered back.

The corner of Kyungsoo’s mouth tipped up boastfully as he rested his chin on the back of his hand. “I wasn’t even going there but … tell me more, let’s hear it.”

Before she could proceed to quarrel, her father snapped his fingers to end yet another incoming fight. “Guys, we don’t have to argue about this. Miyoung, it doesn’t matter. All that matters to me is that you had the experience. Now, hear me out.” He said with authority in his tone.

Kyungsoo nodded in compliance and leaned on his chair comfortably again.

“I have been planning this for months even before Miyoung got back but I think this will be perfect timing too, given the situation that she’s trying to gain experience in our field of work. And also, even if things were different, I’d still make her come along.” Her father started with an ambiguous announcement that had no other context whatsoever.

She noticed the same flustered look on Kyungsoo’s face as they both squinted towards the older man.

“What do you mean, Boss? Make her come along where?” Kyungsoo asked the same question itching the tip of her tongue

Miyoung’s father tapped his fingers on the glass table while smiling at the two of them. “Company trip. I rented a huge cabin in the countryside for the weekend! I’ve already made the arrangement and we’ll close the restaurant this coming Saturday and Sunday. Soobin had known for a while now and so she already made adjustments on our bookings and schedule.” He revealed.

Kyungsoo puckered his lips into an oooh, his eyes flaring in excitement from which Miyoung responded with a cynical giggle that quickly morphed back into a sour frown.

Company trip? She didn’t need it. A trip was definitely going to take her time to prove herself away from her even farther. It was going to cause a major delay. Why now? And why did she need to go? This day had barely started and she already wanted to end it, go to bed and scream herself to sleep.

“Why do I have to go?” She blurted out loud. “How is that going to help me with the so-called training this airhead’s doing for me?” She pointed at Kyungsoo.

Her father took another sip of tea. “Our team needs a break once in a while and it’s only going to be on the weekend. We treat each other like family and families go on trips. If our restaurant wasn’t so busy, I’d close it longer than just the weekend but it’s hard to do that. If you don’t agree to that idea then I’m quite worried for you to take over, later on, sweetie.” He replied with a genuinely concerned frown.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, took another swig of cola, finishing the rest of the can before crushing it in his hand. He was about to throw it just anywhere when Miyoung’s father lifted a finger and pointed at the trash bin a few meters away as if he was some kid who still needed commands in such things.

“Oops—yes, sir.” He scraped his teeth on his bottom lip before rushing to the trash bin to throw the can properly.

Miyoung crossed her arms against her chest and only focused her attention to her father. “Dad, they can have vacation or team-building trips all they want but why do I have to come? I’m not good at that.” She asked, anxiety already stacking up in her chest.

She never did well on trips. She was too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter