Taemin POV: Ch. 13

A Prince in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin

 

Night has fallen upon us. I hear the steady breathing of the three men. They know nothing of my arrangement with Minho. Only he is not here. I didn't want our last conversation to be like this.

I wanted to know his story. How he came to have such a life, such a reputation. I'm sure he's innocent, even if he claims otherwise. Only a good man is followed by other good men. But I can forget that now. He has clearly shown me what he thinks of me.

And he is probably right. I will never know what it is like to be poor and hungry. I will never forget the despise in his eyes towards father.

 

He knows I will not betray them. My bond with the sleeping men is too strong. But what he does not know is that I will not betray him either. He didn't kidnap me because he enjoyed it, but out of concern that his men would be in danger. All those stories about him, I can't believe them. He's bad-tempered, mean and a grump. But he also took in all those men and gave them a home when they didn't have one.

 

I put on my white scarf. One last time I look into the dark room behind me.

I hope for Lucas' sake that they manage to free his brother. I would have liked to be there. Maybe then he would have spoken. I will try to talk to Siwon. I don't know yet how to convince him to let Jonghyun back into the army without betraying the men and their whereabouts, but I will do my best. I would like to have a man like him in our army.

My heart grows thoughtfully heavy at the thought that I will never see Jinki again. I have learned so much from him. From the first day I met him, he made me feel welcome. Maybe I can get his bounty cancelled and the search for him stopped. He deserves a happy life.

 

Silently, I close the door behind me. The corridor in front of me is only mildly lit with candlelight.

I look forward to seeing Kibum, Siwon and especially Father again soon. But I cannot deny that I will miss the men.

The floor creaks softly under my feet.

 

I still have a chance to return. To sleep my first night in a real bed in a long time. I could get up with them as if the conversation with Minho had never happened. But even if I continued to travel with them, what would happen? I wouldn't be able to help them free Luca's brother. I would only stand in their way. Would they even trust me enough to let me help them? And then what? Would they continue to be on the run? For the rest of their lives?

 

If any of the guards or troops recognized me. Not only would I lose the trust of the men I've accompanied these past few days. No, Siwon would be disappointed too, father, the nation.

The prince's involvement with a band of bandits must never come to light.

 

But what will I tell father and the others where I was? Shall I let them hunt ghosts?

 

In the taproom of the inn there is only one person, alone and hooded. Back then I didn't know which face was hidden under the hood and today I want to find out everything about it. How have the wrinkles settled there over the years? What does it look like when it laughs?

 

Minho lifts his head and our eyes meet. Our last conversation in the back of my mind, I am embarrassed to look at him, but I have to. I don't want to forget it. I want to memorize all of it. He's never looked at me like that before. I never noticed before how dark his eyes are and how endlessly deep they seem.

I feel a weight being lifted from my shoulders. Even though our last conversation turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter