Taemin POV: Ch. 03

A Prince in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin

 

Kibum recites the list of my duties for the Peace Festival while I am being measured for my new robes for the same.

"Cut the cake when the first star appears in the sky. Kiss a baby..." that's when I stop him for the first time.

"You want me to what?"

"It's for good luck!" he explains, already mad.

"For me or the baby?" And there it is again, the epic, annoyed look on Kibum's face.

"Please Lord, give me strength to get through today as well." He whispers not exactly quietly to himself and presses his palms theatrically against each other in front of his chest.

Before he continues to grumble, he collects himself and takes a deep breath.

"For the baby's family! You should know that. It's tradition, after all. You are now of age and must take over what the king has done. Once you're king yourself, it'll all be easier for you."

 

Not that again. Why does everyone think that I have to be king so soon? The country is at peace. Father is doing well, he still has many years ahead of him. And I know my country only from books and stories. How can I become a proper king?

 

Mr. Park holds different fabrics in front of my body. I am wearing only a light white robe made of silk, so he can adjust the robes to my physique perfectly. I couldn't decide what to wear. Everything feels soft and shines in different shades of blue.

But I can't focus on the beautiful cloths for long, as Kibum's list seems endless.

 

"Rate the best cake." He therefore continues to enumerate.

"I thought it's a festival?" My whining sounds more pathetic than I wanted to let on.

"And you'll be part of everything that comes with it." Key replies dryly, turning his attention back to his list.

"I'd rather have given the speech then." I sulk quietly to myself so that he doesn't hear.

 

I used to be allowed to participate in everything, but on my own terms, not because it was my duty. But now with my coming of age, it's a different story.

 

"And when do I get to go out?" I ask, slightly frustrated but serious. Shouldn't I have some rights then, when I get so many responsibilities? Abruptly, he looks over at me.

 

"Go outside?"

"Yes, outside." I point demonstratively out the window which lets the sun shine through generously.

"Where do you want to go out? You have obligations to fulfil!" I can literally see how even bats bleed from their ears at his shrill tone.

"I mean to the people." Now he doesn't say anything but just looks at me.

"My people? Or don't they celebrate?" I regret my sassy tone directly.

Kibum doesn't deserve to be attacked by me like that, after all, he can't help it. But he is not angry with me. His gaze becomes warm and empathetic.

"You know that's not possible." Yes Kibum is nagging, yelling and annoying. And he does it every day. But he genuinely loves me and only wants the best for me.

"What if you come with me?" I take a few steps toward him so that Mr. Park is unable to continue working for the moment.

"Where?" He tries not to look me in the eye. Because my request paired with my puppy dog eyes and trembling lower lip, even he can't resist.

"Kibum!" I put my hands on his shoulders and force him to look into my sweet face. He sighs as he looks at me and drops his shoulders. Inside, I'm already celebrating my victory.

"All right." He shoves my hands off his shoulders in annoyance and nods in the direction of the tailor. Satisfied, I walk back to Mr. Park and let him continue his work.

"But not alone." His words can't put a damper on my mood.

"And not at on the celebration day, and under one condition."

"I'll do anything!" I promise him.

"I want to see you take your duties seriously. Starting today." He points to his list and I nod vigorously.

"Super serious! I promise. I'll get right on it! Mr. Park?"

"Your Highness?" The tailor doesn't dare look at me and talks to me very respectfully. A nice change from Kibum, I think.

"When you finish my robe. Tailor one for my bride, too, please." I say proudly.

"Bride?" Kibum's jaw drops wide open. I wish the painter could make a portrait of just that horrified expression.

"Bride-to-be." I immediately correct myself, however. Mr. Park doesn't seem to know what to say.

"Your Majesty, I didn't know you were engaged. This is most delightful news." 

"I am not." I quickly wave it off.

"Oh." The tailor looks confused.

"Thank God." Kibum looks like he's aged ten years in those few seconds.

"But these fabrics are so beautiful, I'm sure my future wife will love them." I explain to him.

"Yes your majesty."

 

I show Kibum two thumbs up and can't stop grinning. "Well?" I want to know. "Wasn't that totally dutiful?"

 

 

My new garment looks wonderful. Both the jacket and the waistcoat are a light blue and have golden appliqués and buttons. Our emblem, a diamond, is embroidered in golden colours on the back. The turtleneck is made of snow-white lace and fans out into my shirt with a beautiful transition. My trousers are also white, and most importantly, comfortable.

 

Kibum helps me get dressed.

"Tell me. Where is the festival more fun?" I ask him excitedly as he closes the buttons of my silk shirt one by one.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, here in the palace, or outside?" He picks up the waistcoat and puts it on me.

"Well...In the palace, everyone wears beautiful robes." He looks lovingly at my new ensemble, not looking bad himself.

Our emblem is visible on him a little above the pocket of his black jacket in a light shade of blue. He wears a high white collar decorated with a silk bow.

"Everything is beautifully decorated and there is all the food you can imagine. Even a fountain made of chocolate."

"But?"

"There is no but. The music is lovely..." he rattles it off quickly, as if he doesn't want me to hear that it's apparently nicer outside than it is here.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter