Taemin POV: Ch. 20

A Prince in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin

 

He did not choose this life for himself. He is innocent. Not only did he not kill Captain Lee, he did not commit the other crimes either. He took all this upon himself so that his cousin could live a quiet life.

Couldn't they have just told the truth?

 

What kind of uncle would send his own nephew out on the street? But after all I have heard, all I have seen, I know better. It was the only way out. At the Peace Festival, the guard wanted to violate me there too. And in the village of Aespa, the guard also treated me like a piece of dirt. They didn't want to help the mother and the baby.

How can something like this happen over and over again?

No wonder Minho treated me so badly in the beginning. He only experienced rejection, exclusion and exploitation of power from people in the royal circles.

 

Even if there had been an honest man among them, would that have been enough not to punish Yoona? With Jonghyun, it did no good. He was opposed by his entire unit.

I can feel the anger boiling up inside me. I'm not going to let this happen anymore.

 

I will no longer ignore the suffering of innocent people. I wonder how many people have come to live like Minho. I cannot imagine. And then I make a deal with that monster Shindong. How could I even think of marrying him? All I wanted was for Minho and the others to be all safe. But I only made things worse! If I become king and have someone like that at my side, I will never be able to win the trust of my people.

 

But I will put things right, and if I have to give up my title as king to do so, I will gladly accept it. I dry my tears with my sleeve. I look at Minho urgently.

"I will get you out of here, I promise." I am firm, and Minho recognizes that determination in my gaze.

"Thank you for telling me." I now know what to do. I nod to him in farewell. But as I turn around, I feel his big hand wrap around mine and pull me back slightly. I flinch a little and all of a sudden my heart is beating fast. His fingers are long and slender. I feel the many scratches on his hands and want to know how each one got there.

 

"Taemin, wait..." Abruptly he lets go of my hand as he sees my puzzled face. I think he is uncomfortable and thinks he has scared me because a slight blush taints his cheeks.

"Please..." He has never spoken to me so tenderly. After such a long life on the run, I didn't think he could still speak so gently. I stand in front of the bars again and look into his dark eyes.

"There's something else I want to tell you." But before he can say anything further we hear noises outside the dungeon door. I am grateful that I have had the time to hear his story. But I don't want it to be known that I was here. I have to hurry.

"Tell me as soon as you are free. I have to go now." I say to him and give him a smile before heading off.

 

I wonder what he was going to say. I would have loved to stay there for hours, listening to his voice.

 

I hear Kibum urging the guard on and quickly hide behind the corner again.

I wasn't caught, so why is my heart beating so fast? 

 

 

With my plan in mind, I move forward quickly.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter