Goodbyes

Twist of Fate

 

It was the third week of February, in a cold winter, students and parents are getting down from the car one by one. It was graduation day. 

Byul came with her parents. She's excited, finally after four years of hard work, there she is, with her hard-earned bachelor's degree. Thanks to her hard work and kind coaches, numerous acting agencies are eyeing her, such as Namoo actors, Sagi entertainment, Huayi Brothers and some others. It took her some time to make a very important decision, she really opted for Huayi Brothers since that's the same agency where her long-time favorite actress is, Lee Dahee. There are many things she needs to consider, her family is not that rich, she doesn't want to rely on Yongsun and she don't want her girlfriend to get involved financially. She ended up choosing Sagi entertainment instead, in fact, she already signed the contract. Everything is already prepared for her, the manager, the dorm and the other fees will be shouldered by the company for the mean time, a bright future is ahead of her, she doesn't want to put it to waste.

 

"Where is Yongsun? Is she not gonna come?" Mr. Moon asked

Byul checked her phone, checking for any messages from her girlfriend -- "She's coming, maybe she's stucked in traffic on her way here" she replied, feeling uneasy 

The Moon family went to their respective seats, Byul is already wearing her graduation robe, checking her phone from time to time. 

She's losing her patience, Yongsun promised her that she will come, it's almost her turn to climb on the stage but there's no response on her calls and messages. She turn off her phone in annoyance.

 

-----

 

Yongsun came to the area where the guardians are seated, she's panting. She reached to Mrs. Moon, who is busy looking at the stage at the moment.

"Good day Mrs. Moon, Mr. Moon" she bowed to Byul's parents, giving hugs to her girlfriend's mother

-- "What took you so late Yongsun-ah? She's looking grumpy right on her graduation day, she's been waiting for you" Mrs. Moon spoke, scooting over her seat to give a room for Yongsun

"I'm sorry Mrs. Moon,I just needed to take care of some business, I've been going back and forth from Busan to Daegu these days so it's hard for me find time to rest. I hope she won't get mad" Yongsun said releasing a loud sigh, her hands are on her temples

Mrs. Moon squeezed her thigh in assurance, "Don't worry, she will understand"

Not long afterwards, Byul's name was called. The younger climbed on the stage, her eyes are wandering, looking for her parents. 

Her face lit up, smiling brightly revealing her indian dimples when her gaze found Yongsun, waving her hands and loudly cheering for her. 

When the event ended, they decided to eat out in a small restaurant near jeonpo-dong with Byul's family. 

"Yongsun-ah, don't be shy just order as much as you wish, it's my treat" Mr. Moon spoke as he took the menu.

Yongsun nodded, feeling embarassed. 

"Byul-ah, I messaged your sister to come here with your grandfather, in less than two weeks you will leave Busan right? It's better to have a proper meal as a family before you go. Is everything ready?" Mrs. Moon asked, turning her head to Byul 

-- "Don't worry Mom, everything's ready. My manager will pick me up and she has my contact number already"

"Does Yongsun knew about this?" 

-- "Yes Mrs. Moon, we have talked about this months ago, she's keeping me updated with everything so there's no any problem so far" Yongsun answered politely

"Yong, I think I will bring Yongkeey with me" Byul said, looking at Yongsun with serious look

-- "What?! No, I won't allow you" Yongsun answered, waving her hand signaling a no

"What? Come to think of it, you will stay here in Busan and you can still meet your dad and wheein,and you can still go to your favorite restaurants. I think it would be fair if Yongkeey stays with me"

Yongsun was flustered, she was totally against the idea "No, Byul-ah. You gave Yongkeey to me as anniversary gift, does it make sense if you will take her away?"

"Attorney, your argument has been confuted. You clearly said Yongkeey is OUR daughter, I have rights with OUR child's custody" Byul said with a teasing face

The couple teased each other until Mrs. Moon interrupted them.

"Byul-ah, you didn't tell us Yongkeey is your child. All this time I didn't know I'm a grandma already" Mrs. Moon joked, making Yongsun giggle with her dolphin laugh.

After a few minutes, Yesol came holding Yongkeey's leash on her right hand. Meanwhile, Seulgi is guiding her grandfather towards their table. 

"Oh, my dear Yongkeey-ah, come here, come to your grandma" Mrs. Moon welcomed Yongkeey, still teasing her eldest daughter.

Yongsun noticed that Byul is being silent, probably reaching her limit, her whole family has been ganging up to annoy her. Yongsun can't help but laugh at the view. She leaned closer, whispering to Byul.

"Okay, Yongkeey stays with you" 

Byul's eyes widen in delight, "Really?!" she then hugged Yongsun and kissed her in the lips.

Byul's grandfather faked a cough after witnessing the couple kissing. 

Mrs. Moon awkwardly laughed "Dad, she's Byul's girlfriend. They've been together since she started college" 

Byul's grandfather ignored the excuse, he continued munching on his food. 

Mr. Moon looked at the couple with apologetic eyes, telling them to be more patient with the old man.

When everyone was finished with their food, Yongsun gave an envelop to Byul's sisters. Everyone is confused, even Byul herself.

"Uhm, Seulgi-ah and Yesol, I heard you're really good in your studies, Byul proudly showed me your grades and I decided to ask for my grandpa's recommendation letter to give you a scholarship. I hope you will continue doing good in school"

-- "Yongsun-ah, you're not planning on cutting ties with us when Byul goes to Seoul right?" Mrs. Moon jokingly asked

"No Mrs. Moon, I just realized that after three years I've never done something for them"

-- "Ahhh, is this the reason you're going back and forth in Daegu?"

Yongsun laughed "No, Mrs. Moon" 

Byul held her hands and she squeezed them lightly, she mouthed a thank you.

 

------

 

Byul, Seulgi, Irene, Hyejin, Sandeul, Wheein, along with Byul's other friends are nonchalantly hanging out in a pub near Pusan, they're having their farewell celebration for Byul. 

"Is it really decided unnie? You're really gonna leave next week? Can't you just stay with us here?" Hyejin said

-- "Hyejin-ah, I already signed the contract, there's no turning back" Byul replied, caressing Hyejin's head

"Where's your girlfriend? She's not gonna come here?" Irene asked, she then turned her head to wheein "Hey Yongsun's sis, where's your unnie?"

-- "I don't know, why don't you ask her girlfriend? We don't live together" wheein backfired

"Are you guys drunk already? it's not even 8pm" Byul asked her friends

-- "We're not that weak" hey friends answered in unison 

"Hey Byul, where's Yongsun? It's boring here with these kids" Irene irritably asked

-- "She said she still need to work on something, she will be a bit late" Byul replied

Irene sighed in disappointment "Really, that nerdy ! Working her off during vacation breaks??"

-- "She said it's personal, so maybe about her father's business since she's in Hadandong right now"

"Wow! She's really hands on with both of her parent's businesses, but why is this shorty here doing nothing? Oh, I get it, you're the princess of the family" Irene spoke, she's reeking of alcohol, but still sober.

-- "Yes I am, Irene unnie" wheein replied, unbothered, taking a shot of her soju 

They drank to their heart's content, until only Seulgi, Wheein, Irene, Hyejin, Byul, and some of the guys are the remaining sober people.

"Hey Moon!" Seulgi called her

-- "What? You're drunk?" Byul asked

"What's your plan with Yongsun unnie? Is it really decided?" Seulgi asked in return, making her girlfriend curious too

"Right Byul, what's your plan with Yongsun-ah?" Irene spoke

Wheein and Hyejin are silent but both are curious too

-- "We talked about it months ago, I will do my thing in Seoul, she will finish graduate school here in Busan, and after she graduates she will stay in Seoul with me. It's only two years, I can wait" Byul answered as she took her last shot of beer

 Seulgi and Irene looked at each other.

"Wow, are you sure you can pull up that long distance relationship? Are you that confident?" Seulgi asked

-- "Yes! I can't think of any other partner aside from Yongsun, you can't find something better when you had the best"

"Wow! greatest love! I think you're only saying that because she's your first" Irene replied bitterly

-- "First? Yeah first kiss, first girlfriend, first hug, first date, but how about the first ?" Seulgi teased

"That's foul Kang Seulgi!" Byul playfully kicked her friend under the table

Wheein choked on her drink after hearing that, Hyejin tapping her back. 

When she's calmed, she asked "Unnie did what?" 

Seulgi answered "Wheein-ah, nothing happened" bursting with her cackling laughter

"Seriously?? For three years? Nothing happened? Totally?"

-- "I tried initiating something but she turns me down" Byul replied

"That's impossible" Wheein replied, looking confused

-- "We have our own reasons, so please stop asking invasive questions" Byul said, checking her phone.

"Are you guys not gonna have some? Before you leave at least?" Seulgi asked

-- "Kang Seulgi can you mind your own life?" Byul replied

"Well, mine's healthy so I'm really worried about yours" Seulgi backfired, making everyone laugh 

Hyejin spoke, changing the topic "You know unnie, I really admire you and Yongsun unnie. I really think you two are really perfect for each other"

"I know, we're just really clicked with each other, almost in all aspect" Byul said

"I know right, they even have their own kid" wheein spoke

 

Byul noticed the time, it's getting late. She checked her phone, she noticed a lot of missed calls from her girlfriend, she called back immediately.

"Babe? When are you gonna come here?" Byul asked

-- "I'm sorry Byul, I did something important but I'm on my way there" 

"Sure, we'll wait for you"

-- "Is everyone still there?" 

"Uhm some of my friends already went home but Irene and Seul is still here, and the kids"

-- "Wheein's there?" Yongsun asked in shocked

"Don't drink too much!"

-- "Sure,sure" Byul replied

"That's for wheein" Yongsun laughed

-- "Are you almost here?" 

"Byul" Yongsun's tone turning serious

Byul hummed in response

"There's this black car following me since I was in Handandong, I thought it's odd but it's following me everywhere, I took a picture of the plate number earlier I'll send it to you"

-- "Okay. Yong! Be careful" 

"I will. But byul, there's a lot going on in the family these days, wheein doesn't know any of it. Tell her to visit dad tomorrow, he has a high blood pressure when I checked on him, it's unusually high, the nurse warned me if he's not gonna take a break it can lead to or heart attack. He's really getting very weak these days"

-- "Okay, I'll tell her. I think you're mom is tailing you, don't you think?" 

"I think so too, since I reported her to the police"

-- "What?? Yong!" 

"Don't worry, I told the police to start the investigation after you leave Busan"

-- "Be careful Yong. I love you"

"I love you too" 

-- "I love you more" Byul replied

"I love you most"

-- "I love you so so so so much"

"Okay Byul, you won. I'm near, wait for me" Yongsun hanged the phone

 

 

 

 

 

They continued their drinking session, waiting for Yongsun.

"Wheein-ah, you should look after your dad more often" Byul spoke

-- "Why? Something bad happened?" Wheein asked

Byul only nodded

 

Not long after that, Wheein's phone rang, interrupting them.

"Hello? Dad?? Who is this?"

Wheein felt her body quiver, her legs weakened, and she bursted crying, she's wailing. 

Byul looked at her in concern 

"Wheein-ah! What happened?"

 

 


Yes, a cliff hanger. I really struggled thinking where to end this chapter so here you go guys. Thank you for reading