Ride home

Twist of Fate

Moonbyul is an 18-year old film student studying in Pusan National University. Her dream is to become a well known actress like her long time idol Lee Da-hee.

 

 

She walked past the busy streets of Busan, almost running, not minding the noise and the people bumping on her. 

"oh , I'm gonna be late"

She ran in tremendous speed after looking at her watch. She entered the subway and took a deep sigh after seeing how crowded the train is. 

Minutes have passed and she reached her destination.

"Whoa unnie! am I seeing things right? Your late?" a pretty lady with an amusing charisma shouted upon seeing her arrival.

-- "Hey! Hyejin-ah" she lightly pinched the cheeks of the woman

"Ouch unnie! Stoppp" she said while glaring at moonbyul

"So what happened? Why are late huh? It's a rare sight to see I should put this on my diary" they both chuckled 

-- "Nothing really, my mom just forgot to wake me up and I was dead tired last night after doing this film reviews for this one annoying subject"

"As expected!" and she realeased a deep sigh "Unnie you know, you need to let off some steam. It's college unnie, you should take your time having fun, come with me sometimes I got your back unnie"

-- "I know, I know but it's really hectic these days, I promise I will come with you next time"

"You promised!" 

-- "Okay, Okay" nodding her head while parting ways with hyejin to go to her class

 

-----

She stretched her arms after her professor left the room. That was her last class.

"Seriously do we really need to go to that museum to write an essay?!?! Seulgi-ah, can't we just search it on the internet or something?" 

-- "I was thinking about that too byul-ah, but that old man requires us to have a documentation while observing s"

"I guess we really need to" she spoke in her defeated tone

"So are you up to go today?"

-- "Right now?"

"Yeah, right now, as in right now"

-- "Woah! Why are you in a rush? the due is next week young lady"

"I know, I think I'm going to very busy soon because of the theater prod, You know it's my first lead role" 

-- "Well you seemed so excited, good luck then. But really, I can't go with you I promised a date with Irene"

"I think I will go without you then, okay, bye"

-- "Wait you're going alone?"

"Yup"

-- "It's late byul, just ask sandeul to come with you. Buses are rare in Hadandong, particularly at night"

"I can take care of myself Seul, besides Sandeul still has a class until 7pm"

-- "Okay, goodluck. Call me if you need help"

"Sure, thanks"

 Moonbyul started to pick up all her stuff and she went to canteen to buy some club sandwich and drinks before heading to the bus station

'maybe three club sandwich is enough, I'm not sure if I can eat dinner at home at this point' Moonbyul said to herself

She scanned through her notes and schedules before noticing the bus in front of her. She quickly checked her things and hopped on a bus. She knew the ride to Hadandong would take an hour. She positioned herself at the back and set an alarm. She yawns and prepared herself to take a nap. She was lucky the bus is not crowded unlike the subway, maybe bacause it's barely 5pm. She checked her watch. 3:35pm, she slowly closed her eyes and went to sleep.

 

*Rings*

Moonbyul was startled with the noise and immediately answered her phone.

"Hello, Mom?"

--"Moon byul-yi when are you gonna come home? Your classes ends at 3, you think I don't know?"

"I'm at Hadandong right now, I need to check something, school related" she said leaning her head on the window to check her surrounding

--"Okay, come home early your sisters are looking for you"

"Hmmm okay, love you"

After ending the call, she took her notebook and scanned her notes about her professor's instructions about their essay.

'He's surely so demanding, I just wish all my hardwork for this subject will be worth it' 

She noticed that she's near the museum of contemporary art, she pressed the button and hopped off the bus. It took a little walk to reach to museum. It is covered with a plants due to the vertical garden. She was amused and went inside. She was observing everything with her curious eyes, she saw a lot of abstract painting, weird sculptures, she was captivated with the beauty and depth of the artworks inside the museum. She was intently staring at the biggest abstract painting at the corner of the museum and she lost track of time.

"Hey, you've been staring at that painting for almost 10 minutes, I'm afraid it might melt" 

Moonbyul was startled and took a step back. She didn't realize that the woman is just behind her. She was tense when she felt a hot breath on the nook of her neck.

"Hey, becareful"

-- "I'm sorry" she shyly smiled but she felt her heart beating faster after seeing her face. She was beautiful, she has a charming smile, totally a head turner. The woman looks a bit intimidating in her dresspants and blazer, but something about the woman makes her feel interested, she was curious about the woman.

"Hi, you seemed preoccupied"

-- "No, it's just that umh-" before she could reply the woman spoke 

"I'm Kim Yong-sun" offering her hand for a handshake

-- "I'm Moon Byul-yi, you can call me byul"

they shared an intense eye contact while shaking their hands but yong-sun averted her eyes and looked on her ID 

"You must be smart, you're from Pusan National University?"

-- "No, I just got lucky" she said looking at the ground

"Hey, don't be shy I'm not gonna bite you" and they both chuckled

"By the way I'm from Dong-A University, I'm studying law"

-- "I can easily see the lawyer aura at first glance, and you must be rich, Dong-A University I see" 

"Hey, don't say that. How about you? you're studying what?" she said while laughing in between

-- "I'm a film student, I'm preparing to become an actress"

"Really?! With that shy personality you have? You're going to become an actress? seriously"

-- "Hey, I'm being serious. You're so quick to judge, you haven't seen me act yet"

"Okay, I'm sorry but it's really surprising to know"

Their chat were cut short when Yong-sun's phone rang. She took a steps far from Moonbyul and answered her call.

"Hi, thanks for a nice talk, byul isn't it?"

-- "Yeah, you must be busy, I think I'm good to go, it's late"

"Sure, my dad called me for an errand. See you around" and she bowed her head to Moonbyul 

------

Moonbyul checked her phone and got shocked at the time '8:45pm, oh no I have so much thing to do' she is waiting at the bus stop and ate one of her club sandwich. She noticed that the bus is taking a lot of time so she decided to start her essay on her phone. She didn't realize that she finished her essay in that uncomfortable spot, mosquitoes preying on her legs and arms. she checked the time and left a long sigh 'its already 9:30, mom's gonna kill me.' The museum is already closed, there is almost no people at the area, all she can see are guards and museum staff. She's starting to have a bad feeling, she double checked her essay so it would be convenient if she transfer it at her desktop at home. She's starting to get worried and called Seulgi

"Hey, I know it's late but can you pick me up?"

-- "Where are you?"

"I'm still in Hadandong" she is starting to get anxious, biting her lips, and nails

-- "What?? It's 10pm b*tch, why are you still there?"

"I'm waiting for the bus for almost 2 hours now"

-- "I'm sorry, I checked it just now, there's a check point on the way to Hadandong. My seatbelts are broken bro. I'm just gonna get you a taxi"

Before she could reply she heard someone calling her name. She leaned to look where it was and she saw Yong-sun.

"Thanks Seul, but don't call a taxi. I'll be fine"

Yong-sun walked to her. "Hey why are you still here?"

-- "I don't see any bus home" she nervously left out a chuckle

"Buses are rare here that's why most poeple brings their our car or sometimes they book a taxi"

-- "I'm sorry, I'm not really comfortable being alone with stangers that's why I don't like taxis"

"It's okay, I can give you a ride home"

Moonbyul blushed and she can't come up with an excuse

--"I just said I don't like being alone with strangers" she said shyly in a soft tone but enough for yong-sun to hear

"We just talked earlier?"

-- "But we just met today"

"Okay, I'm not gonna kidnap nor harm you or anything, come with me I will give you a ride. I insist"

Moonbyul just nod and followed yong-sun to where her car was parked. Once inside, Moonbyul felt hot, she was blushing and everytime yong-sun will look at her, she felt her heart beating faster. She can't really understand herself. She's confused and weirded out by everything.