chapter 9: a normal group of friends

Missing In Action
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

" Yujin, that overgrown mutt flaked out on us! " 

Chaewon flailed like a fish out of water on Yena's bed when the girl shouted whatever she was so mad about. She rubbed her sleepy eyes and looked for Yena. The duck was sprawled on the floor with a bunch of clothes they took out from her closet to choose from for her outfit for Spring Fling. 

" I can't believe it! " Yena whined. Chaewon lazily picked up a pillow from the bed and smacked Yena with it. 

" You're so loud. " Chaewon felt her ears ringing. She wants to sleep some more but they have to get moving and put the goddamn cake that she and Yena baked. They stayed up all night following a cake recipe they picked in a Buzzfeed youtube video. Yena called Chaewon over the phone and told her that she can bake the cake by herself. Of course, Chaewon being the smart girl she is, doesn't trust Yena's cooking skills. Sure, Yena can do a lot of things like skating, she's a decent driver, a good dancer and she makes legos in her free time but Chaewon watched Yena ed up cooking a pancake once. 

It didn't end well for Minju's family kitchen. 

Chaewon has been helping Yena to ask out Yuri at the Spring Fling event. Yuri has shown clear signs that she doesn't want anything to do with Yena because she's more interested in Hyewon recently but Yena always persisted. Chaewon asked why won't Yena just give up on Yuri. Yena just shrugged nonchalantly and told Chaewon; 

" Well, I haven't asked her out officially. She had to say no to me first before I give up. " 

Yena's one-sided feelings for Yuri confused Chaewon more than watching 2001: A Space Oddysey. She just doesn't get it. Yena could have avoided an inevitable heartbreak from pursuing Yuri, but she will not stop until she gets rejected. The duck likes to take her chances. Even in battles, she knows she couldn't win. 

Still, Chaewon would come to Yena's aid. She'd be there if she was needed. Just like what a good friend would do. 

" What happened to Yujin, anyway? " Chaewon finally asked. She sat down on the floor with Yena and grabbed her half-eaten protein bar last night. She checked the time on the wall clock in Yena's room. They have exactly three hours before the Spring Fling event. They promised to pick up Minju at their house around six. Minju's house is quite far but Yena can make it to Minju's place in 20 minutes or so. 

If she didn't stop at red lights, of course. 

Yena pursed her lips as she sent the screenshot of her conversation with Yujin's mother on their group chat. " Mrs. Ahn said she's sick. She hasn't come out of her room since yesterday. " 

" Have you tried calling her? " Chaewon asked. 

" She's not answering my calls. " Yena replied. " I think I haven't told you this but, when Yujin was 14 years old, she got hit by a car and you know what happened? " 

Chaewon munched on her food. " What? " 

" The hood of the car got a big dent. The driver had a few injuries but Yujin was unscathed like she's Hercules or some ! " Yena was freaking out. It just bums her too much that Yujin can't come to Spring Fling with them. She's missing in action. " I can't believe she's taken down by a simple cold. " 

" Rest in peace, Yujin. " Yena said as she makes a sign of the cross. Chaewon followed shortly. Messages from their group chat flooded Yena's phone saying R.I.P to their fallen friend. 

xxx

Hyewon shouldn't have taken her eyes off Eunbi the second they entered the gymnasium. She can't believe her girlfriend is drunk and it's only just 6 p.m. Eunbi and Hyewon arrived first since Eunbi is a senior and she was needed for last-minute preparations. 

Eunbi approached Hyewon who was just looking at her so much concern but at the same time, her lips were formed into an amused smile. The blonde wrapped a yellow and pink streamer around Hyewon's neck like she's some sort of pole that she had to decorate too. The older girl giggles and slings an arm on her girlfriend. " Kang-chan, Kang-chan. " Eunbi called. 

" What's up? " Hyewon thinks Eunbi was being weird again but she's cute and she loves her so she gets a free pass from Hyewon's judgment. 

" Why are you so" Eunbi went in front of Hyewon and buried her flushed face on Hyewon's neck. " You're so popular with everyone...Even Yuri wants you. What do you think I'm supposed to feel about that? " 

Hyewon smoothed out Eunbi's hair. " Well, It can't be helped. You know how Yuri is. We both love her, right? " 

" Yeah. " Eunbi replied. " All of them are my babies. " 

" Her crush on me will pass eventually. You have nothing to worry about. " Hyewon said with so much love for the older girl. " After all, I was the one who asked you out. The first one to confess. The first one to kiss you. The first one to initiate - " 

" YO! EUNBI IS GETTING IT ON WITH HER SOPHOMORE GIRLFRIEND!! " 

Hyewon detached herself from Eunbi when Yves suddenly popped out from nowhere laughing at them. In her hands, Yves was holding a drink that looks like your average grape juice, except that it's not, because it's a spiked drink circulating for the seniors. Irene was very strict about bringing alcoholic drinks inside their school, but they always have their ways to have fun. 

" You want one too, Eunbi's girlfriend? " Yves shoved her cup to Hyewon's face. 

" No, thank you. " the younger girl politely declined. She focused on supporting Eunbi's weight and have her seat on the nearby table. Hyewon made sure that Eunbi's dress was not wrinkled in any way because the older girl looked beautiful in it. The older girl slept on the table using her arms as a cushion. Hyewon took Eunbi's Birkin and placed it on the table. She noticed that the bag was ped and there was a box peeking out.

Hyewon sighed when she realized that it's a Cartier box. " You don't have to give me expensive gifts. Being with you is more than enough for me. " Hyewon whispered, just enough for Eunbi to hear if she's still listening. She kissed Eunbi's head as she rest a hand on her cheeks. 

" How did I get so lucky? " 

 

xxx

The familiar black limousine stopped at Yuri's house. A man in a black suit came out of the limo and opened the door for Yuri.

" Thank you. " She managed to stay polite to Hitomi's driver even though she's battling her homicidal tendencies 40 minutes ago when a girl called Choi Yena texted her saying that she will not be picking up Yuri at their house because she has to do something important. 

Yuri sat next to Hitomi who gave her a refreshment as soon as she entered the limo. The three of them were silent for a minute. Which is a rare occasion because Yuri tells a lot of stories and sparks up arguments when she's feeling bored. Nako always immersed herself with Yuri's stories. Hitomi thinks that Nako likes psychoanalyzing Yuri that's why she can tolerate half of the that Yuri says. 

" Yena unnie?" Nako blurted out. She and Yuri looked at each other before Yuri started stomping her feet out of frustration. Nako knows Yuri like the back of her hand. 

" AHHH! I AM SO MAD AT HER RIGHT NOW! " 

Hitomi sighed as she popped a strawberry in . She likes pairing it with champagne " Wait, let me guess... Is it Yena unnie's fault or yours? "

Yuri pouted at Hitomi's question. " It's her fault this time, okay? " Yuri took a sip on the drink that Hitomi gave her. It was bitter and there was an after taste Yuri didn't like. She stuck out her tongue in disgust. " She was the one who kept pestering me about going to Spring Fling together and she even volunteered to pick me up in my house! " 

" Okay... " Nako encouraged her friend to continue. 

" And then she just texted me earlier that she can't drive me to school because apparently, she's doing something important. " Yuri scoffed. " What about me? Am I not important? " 

" Isn't she with Chaewon-unnie? " Hitomi stated. For someone who's not even dating Yena, Yuri acts like she's her girlfriend. The Japanese girl will never understand her friends. Just commit to one person, dammit! " She sent me a picture of Yena unnie's ridiculous socks. " she showed the picture that Chaewon sent to her. 

" Ooh, boy. " Nako muttered under her breath. She could see that Yuri is currently experiencing different kinds of emotions in a short amount of time. It was as if Yuri was processing all her feelings for Yena who had been nothing but loyal to her affections to the younger girl. 

" Hey, are you okay? " Hitomi poked Yuri's arm to get a reaction from her but the latter just stared at the black floor mat of the limo. " Nako, I think I broke Yuri. " 

" She's going to be fine. " Nako reassured Hitomi who's starting to get worried for their friend. " Her ego just took a hit so she's malfunctioning right now. " 

Hitomi mouthed o and continued eating her strawberries. " You think the others are already there yet? " 

" Cheyeon unnie and Kkura unnie arrived first. I think Eunbi and Kang-chan are already there too. " Nako replied. She secretly took a picture of Yuri looking like a soccer mom who had just witnessed her son's team get wiped out by snotty rich boys from a private school. Nako snickered to herself when nobody saw what she was doing. The picture might come in handy if Yuri decides to annoy the out of Nako just like that one time. 

 

xxx

Wonyoung kept her eyes on the girl in front of her. Her heart just leaped from her chest. The girl, no the lady in front of her was probably the most beautiful creature she has ever laid eyes on us. She was so beautiful that Wonyoug has to catch her breath. 

" I am a god. " Wonyoung said, touching her cheek to check if she was even real. Her white off-shoulder tulle dress made her look like she was a real fairy. 

Mrs. Jang just laughed at her daughter's antics. Sure, Wonyoung can be a little obsessed with herself, but she has every right to! After all, Mrs. Jang didn't give birth to some regular-looking human being. She gave birth to Wonyoung! It's the equivalent of Mary giving birth to Jesus Christ but the girl version.

Mrs. Jang dismissed their stylist because she promised her daughter that she will be the one to fix her hair. She started  by combing Wonyoung's long jet black hair to perfection. 

Wonyoung is a brilliant child. At the early age of three, she took up different kinds of hobbies and she excels in each one of them. Mrs. Jang and Mr. Jang didn't have to force Wonyoung to do those things because their daughter was the one to bring it up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter