chapter 1: traffic jam

Missing In Action
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon had to throw the straw from her almost emptied iced coffee at Yena who is standing straight like a log, her hands on her back, nodding her head ever so slowly before she walked back and sat on the table with her friends, Hyewon and Chaeyeon.  

" You know what, I think I may have noticed something about Yujin and Wonyoung. " Yena started. She clasped her hands together which made Hyewon and Chaeyeon think that she's about to say something important once in her life.  

" What's up with the babies? " Chaeyeon asked.  

Yuri may have doubted Yena’s intellectual capability countless of time, but if there's something that Yena is intelligent at, it's about noticing the smallest thing about her dear friends. " There’s something off about Yujin and Wonyoung being best friends. I just don’t feel that vibe from them. “  

Hyewon frowned from Yena’s statement. " Girl, they knew each other for years. What are you on about? "  

Yena shook her head furiously as she gestured for her friends to come closer. " That's not what I meant! I mean sure, they call themselves best friends and they hang out at each other's cribs when they were babies, but don't you guys notice that they rarely spoke or interact with each other when it's the twelve of us? They might be talking when they are alone, but as long as I remember, the last time I heard them exchanged words is exactly one month and 13 days ago! "  

“How in the world would you remember that but not your multiplication table. “ Hyewon said.

“It’s called selective memory, bestie. “  

Chaeyeon, being the most levelheaded person on that table, sat back and leaned on her chair. Her eyes wandered all over the cafeteria looking for Yujin who seems to be more late than usual. " Well, to be honest, I do notice that as well but we're not exactly around Yujin and Wonyoung all the time so it's hard to assume what's really going on with those two... “ Chaeyeon paused and continues. “I remember that one time when Yujin went to our classroom and Wonyoung was also there too because she was talking to Saku-chan... and you know what Yujin did? "  

Hyewon bit her lower lip, fidgeting on her seat. " What? "  

" In the most dog like manner, she went and greeted all of our classmates in our room, that kid even lifted Sakura from her seat using her two bare hands and asked for scratches on her chin just like what Minju does to her and... "  

" Oh, for the love of Christ! Just tell the story already! Give us the daily tea, woman! " Yena slammed her fist on the table which earned a glare from Yuri who sat just three tables away from their table. Yena instinctively gulp and gave the younger girl a wave. Yuri just rolled her eyes at her and continued chatting with Hitomi and Nako.  

" She just looked at Wonyoung, not a single emotion evident on her face and then she went and lifted Hitomi who have just arrived from the classroom. So long story short, Yujin and Wonyoung might not be on speaking terms with each other and... " Chaeyeon trailed off with her words making Yena lose her mind. " Hii-chan definitely packs a lot of rage in that tiny body of hers. "  

" Hey, I heard that! " Hitomi shouted from the other table. 

"  SORRY! LOVE YOU, THOUGH!"

" Maybe they just had a misunderstanding... " Hyewon commented as she took the last sip on her bland iced coffee. She always asked the barista at Starbucks less ice on her drink but the staff there must be stupid or he simply hates Hyewon. She will never know. " Eunbi told me that teenage angst nowadays is the equivalent of 2000s weird obsession for emo goth boys and girls. Remember when we used to be crazy over Panic! at the disco? "  

" Kang-chan you're 18. " Chaeyeon deadpanned.  

" Remember when we thought Brendon Urie is a punk rock angel sent from above? but now he's like your regular white man. Suspicious and a 100% a closet . " 

The three of them cringed at their memories of their emo phase that they simultaneously had together. It was hell for their family.  

Hyewon shrugged. " I am 18 but I feel like I'm going to live until my 30s and just die.... probably from food poisoning. I'm not so sure... "  

" Eunbi will cry if she heard you saying that. " Chaeyeon nudged the older girl.  

Hyewon snorted and opened a bag of Oreos. “Oh, look. Yujinnie is finally here.” 

And here comes Yujin,  walking towards Yena's usual table in the cafeteria with that megawatt smile of hers. Behind her was no other than the queen bee of their school, Jang Wonyoung. Wonyoung waved at her unnies but she took a turn and joined where Yuri and the others were seated. Yena sat up straigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter