chapter 8: cool as a cucumber

Missing In Action
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung stood with her Mom in the doorway as they watch a Mercedes Maybach sedan on their driveway. She can feel her Mom stare at her, especially when the driver went out of his car. 

" Who's that handsome young man? " her Mom nudged Wonyoung.

" My partner for Spring Fling. " Hyunjin waved from his car. His eyes disappeared when he smiled. He resembled the dragon from the animated film that Yujin liked. 

" Is he your boyfriend? " Wonyoung swears that her Mom is getting more annoying as the day goes by. Still, she loves her Mom, and she cannot talk back to her even if she wants to. 

" No, Mom. " Wonyoung looked at her phone's camera for the last time before she kissed her mother goodbye. She walked towards the car and gave Hyunjin a small wave. They examined each other for a moment before Wonyoung decided to say something. 

" You're not going to kill me, right? " she joked, her face remains expressionless.

" Of course not. " Hyunjin replied. He ran his fingers through his shoulder-length blonde hair. " I just want to talk about you know... " 

Wonyoung got the context of what Hyunjin is trying to say, so she just nodded her head. She noticed how the latter was shifting his weight from side to side, a clear implication that he was feeling uneasy. Well, who wouldn't be? After all, it's not every day you encounter a jock like Hyunjin making out with the resident good boy. Wonyoung noticed that her Mom, the gardener, and her Mom's personal shopper was huddled together outside their house, watching her and Hyunjin's interaction. 

" You have one guy go to your house, and suddenly it became everyone's damn business. "  Wonyoung clicked her tongue in annoyance. She kept her thoughts to herself and gestured to Hyunjin to open the door for her so that they can leave already. 

" Of course. " Hyunjin mouthed. He remembered how much of a diva Wonyoung is. 

Hyunjin opened the door at the back seat for Wonyoung and waved at the girl's Mom before they drive away. Wonyoung settled on the back and saw Jeong-in on the passenger seat. They used to be classmates in 7th grade. He was a nice and quiet boy. Their classmates and teachers alike were fond of Jeong-in because he always had a smile on his face wherever he goes. A bit naive, but it's also part of his charm. But Wonyoung's impression of him is now different. She did not see it coming that someone like sweet and timid like Jeong-in would shove his tongue inside another guy's mouth. 

" Hello, Wonyoung. " Jeong-in greeted the girl. He offered the Mcmuffin he bought for breakfast to Wonyoung, but she just politely refused it. 

" Hi. " the bunny acknowledged. 

" So. " Hyunjin looked at the rearview mirror to address the girl. " Spring Fling is just two days away, huh? Do you think you will win? " 

" Yes.. " Wonyoung replied. " Losing is such a foreign thing to me, you know? I don't know what to do if I lose? Do I have to cry or turn my anger into someone? " 

Jeong-in thinks that Wonyoung is Kanye West and Mariah's love child. Her ego and narcissism are off the charts. 

" Hmm. Feisty. " Hyunjin remarked. " I'm sorry about not being able to talk to you about our alliance to win the title... I was busy. " As Hyunjn said those words, his eyes directed at Jeong-in. Wonyoung knew what he meant by that. 

" It's okay. Let's discuss it once we're at school. I believe that we're second place in voting polls. " 

" That's not bad. " Hyujin hummed. " Considering we haven't even started promoting ourselves personally, we still got many votes. I think we have a chance. " 

The three of them were silent for a minute. Wonyoung notices how Hyunjin kept on looking at her. 

" If you have something to say, just say it. " Wonyoung said. Jeong-in turned around to look at the girl. He looked like he was about to cry any moment now. 

Hyunjin cleared his throat ad rested a hand on Jeong-in's thigh, the other one the wheel. " You saw us, right? " 

" Yes. " the memory flashed again on Wonyoung's mind. The only time she sees two-person kissing is when her Mom and Dad would do it out of affection for each other. She thought it was sweet and dreams of having that kind of love that her parents shared in the future, but it never crossed Wonyoung's mind that people of the same can share a passionate kiss like that as well. 

She's not homophobic, mind you. Wonyoung just never thought about stuff like that.

" Can you do us a huge favor and not tell anyone about it? " Jeong-in spoke. His eyes were pleading. Wonyoung felt bad for his old classmate and gave him a reassuring pat on his shoulder. 

" I won't. It's none of my business. " Her words came off as cold, but Wonyoung genuinely means it. 

" How about your girlfriend, though? Did she saw us too? " Hyunjin asked. He watched Wonyoung's usual resting face turn into a confused one. It was a new look to her. 

" She's not my girlfriend! " Wonyoung raised her voice which alarmed the two boys. " Why would you even think that she was? " 

" Well, when we're still in the same class together, you and Yujin always have your own little world. " Jeong-in answered. " I thought at first that you're not really close with each other because you don't interact as much when you guys are with other people, but... " 

The 13-year-old Jeong-in frequently spots Wonyoung and Yujin in their classroom alone even after classes were over. They would talk about what happened to their entire day even though they share the same room. He found it weird that the two of them will ignore each other but tell the highlights of their day like it was a conscious practice for them. 

Jeong-in eventually realized that he wants the same relationship like what Wonyoung and Yujin have. A relationship not bound by labels and expectations from other people. 

" But what? " Wonyoung felt uneasy. But she's hanging to every word that Jeong-in was saying. 

" Well, you know the feeling of being stuck in school and all you think about is going home? You guys are like that. " Jeong-in continued. Hyujin was confused. Wonyoung, agape, equally perplexed, just like Hyunjin. 

" Jeong-in. " Wonyoung called. " I don't know what kind of crack you're smoking, but you should stop that. It's bad for your health. " 

Jeong-in buried his face in his arms. His ears were red as a tomato. Wonyoung has it all. The brain, the beauty, legs longer than a mile, but she's definitely a dense . 

When they finally arrived at the school parking lot, Jeong-in saw his friends and ran up to them, leaving Hyunjin and Wonyoung alone together. 

" I have something to tell you, Wonyoung. " Hyunjin said. 

" What is it? " 

" I want to win the title of Spring Fling King. " 

" Me too. " 

Hyunjin put his arms around Wonyoung. Students were looking at them, and it's a good strategy if they want to win more votes. " Are you okay with this setup? " 

Wonyoung just nodded her head. 

" I'll say sorry in advance. I plan on winning the title so that I could tell the whole school that I'm dating Jeong-in. " Hyunjin laughed sheepishly. " I insisted on keeping our relationship to each other as a secret even to our friends.. and I feel bad that Jeong-in has such a cowardly boyfriend that won't take risks, you know. " 

Wonyoung wished for the same relationship that her parents have, but she convinced herself that she would not meet the love of her life in high school. Most of the couples in high school break up after entering college anyway. So what's the point of investing time in someone you're not sure you have a future with? 

But alas, Wonyoung understood Hyunjin. At least she tries to. " Sure. Let's win this thing together. 

xxx

Hitomi was bored out of her mind. She felt like she's been sitting at the library for 9 hours, but Nako told her that it has only been 15 minutes. The school principal announced that he would give the entire student body and the seniors two hours to do final preparations for the Spring Fling event tomorrow. Club meetings were not allowed, so Hitomi and her fellow cheerleaders can't do much but sit around to pass the time. 

She adjusted her position from the couch when Yena leaned on her shoulders. Chaewon was sleeping soundly on Yena's lap while Hyewon was playing a game on her phone next to Hitomi. Yuri, Chaeyeon, and Nako sat on the opposite couch from them while playing Jenga. Nako toppled the tower and decided that they will not be playing another round. 

The seven of them collectively sighed. They all wanted to go home. 

"Where's the others? " Yuri asked, her voice breaking the silence in the library. 

" Saku-chan and Eunbi unnie are decorating the gymnasium since they are seniors. Wonyoung is probably doing some campaigning with Hyunjin. Minju is part of the student council, so she's probably doing errands for the president. " Chaeyeon supplied.

" How about Yujin? I think I haven't seen her around? " 

" Who knows? " Hyewon stood up from the coach. She can feel Yuri's eyes as she stretches her body. " You guys want to eat out? " 

Yuri quickly raised her hands. A knowing smirk on her face. " Eat me out, Kang-chan! " The girl shouted shamelessly. Everyone in the library shoots them a look. Yena was resting her eyes. She and Chaewon stayed up all night to make something special for the event tomorrow. But after she heard what Yuri said, Yena just pretends to sleep. Yuri's words probably didn't mean anything. She hopes. 

Hyewon was caught off guard by the younger girl's eagerness. She approached Yuri and ruffled her hair for being cheeky. " What I meant is if you guys want to eat outside the library... Like the cafeteria. " 

" I'd say yes to both things. " Yuri said. 

The seven of them were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter