chapter 10: mcdonalds parking lot

Missing In Action
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju found out that she can probably outrun half of the boys in their class when she came running to Yujin's aid. Sure, Minju didn't know exactly what kind of help Yujin needs from her, but Minju did not expect that she will help Yujin to trespass inside their school. Before she went to the back of their school to meet Yujin, Minju had to take care of Eunbi who vomited inside her Birkin bag. Minju swore she saw a box of Cartier inside. Oh, how Eunbi will regret drinking too much. Luckily for Minju, Wonyoung had already arrived with Hyujin and Jeong-in while Hitomi and Nako have returned from the comfort room so she passed Eunbi to their care. 

" Oh my god. " Minju felt like she was experiencing some kind of fever dream. She is a proud member of the student council. She is a responsible role model for the students and she earned the faculty's trust in a short amount of time, but never in her life, she thought that there will be an instance where she has to sneak inside the faculty to get the keys and help someone like Yujin to break the rules.

" Yujin, this is ridiculous! Get down from there! " Minju looked around to see if guards are patrolling the area. " Didn't I tell you to wait for me? I got the keys to open the gate! " 

As much as she wants to argue with Minju, Yujin was making sure that she will not lose her balance on the wall that she climbed just to get inside their school. She wished she didn't leave their house abruptly without changing into more appropriate clothes. Her oversized Kappa shirt and her Kermit the frog shorts did not protect her from the cold at all. 

" For the record, you were taking your sweet time getting the key. " Yujin was now sitting on top of the wall. " Were you on a field trip or something? " 

" What are you even doing here? I thought you were sick! " Minju argued. 

" I could be sick if I want to but I have something important to do here. It's so important to me that I have to jump off this wall. " Yujin declared, mustering all her courage.

Minju bit her nails. Her voice trembling. " A-Ahn Yujin! You're going to hurt yourself! "Whatever Yujin is up to, it was the first time Minju saw the younger girl look so determined. Yujin was competitive but the fire in her eyes was different this time. 

" What other choice do I have? The guards wouldn't let me in because I was dressed like a homeless person. " Yujin replied, her eyes looking down at the shrubs and plants that would support her fall. " I might as well jump, right? " 

" You're crazy!" Minju covered her eyes. " That wall is probably 12 feet tall! " 

Yujin took deep breaths. She would be lying if she says that she's not scared just even a little bit with what she's trying to do. But Yujin promised herself that she will not hesitate to do things tonight. 

Her bones might get broken but at least she gets to see Wonyoung. 

" The things I do for love. " Yujin whispered to herself. 

And then she let gravity do its thing. No thoughts inside her head. Just pure teenage adrenaline. 

" Yujin!!! " 

" AHH! MY BACK!!! " 

Yujin heard her back crack like a light stick. Fortunately, the shrubs she landed in lessen the impact. Although it still hurt like a . She opened her slowly and the first thing she saw was Minju's worried face. 

The older girl looked like she was about to cry. Yujin noticed the black dress that Minju was wearing. It had intricate patterns that complimented how feminine Minju is. 

" You look pretty, Minju unnie. " Yujin said, still lying down on the shrubs like a dead person. 

Minju was taken aback by the sudden compliment. The worry she had for Yujin earlier was now replaced with fondness. " R-really? " 

" Yeah. " Yujin replied without putting much thought in her words. 

" Oh. " Minju's face was hot. " You're the first one to compliment me tonight. Thank you, Yujin-ah " 

Minju helped Yujin to get back on her feet. The older girl is surprised that Yujin still managed to stand and walk like it was nothing. They entered the school through the cafeteria and successfully made it inside their building. 

66 by the Afghan wings can be heard from the hallways. The noise inside the gymnasium made Minju a little bit nervous about going back inside the gym. Yujin noticed how Minju was biting her lips, the worried look on her face is evident. 

" Are you okay? " Yujin asked. She made Minju face her by turning her around. " Nervous about the coronation? " 

Minju shook her head. " No, not that. I just feel alone. " 

" Why? " 

" It's just that everyone is so busy, you know. Chaewon unnie and Yena unnie are up to something and I can't even hang out with them anymore. " Minju laughed sheepishly. She's kind of embarrassed even. After it was one of her many insecurities that she's telling Yujin. " They have so many things going on for them, and I just... felt left out. That does make sense? " 

Minju felt a hand on top of her head. Yujin was patting it softly to comfort her. She looked up to meet the taller girl's eyes.

" Oh. " The light bulb inside Minju's mind . She realized something. She figured out that she never saw Yujin in a different kind of light before until now. 

" I'm sorry that you feel that way, Minju unnie. " Yujin said, her hand still on top of the older girl's head. " Do you want me to stay with you? " 

Minju took a step back to distance herself from Yujin. She had to stop herself before she does something selfish. " N-no, I'm fine. " 

" Are you sure? "

" Yes! " Minju started walking ahead. " You said you have something important to do right? "

" Yeah, it is really important. " Yujin replied. She saw their school mascot, the rabid dog, getting a snack from the vending machine. Yujin devised her plan. " Are you going back now? " 

" Aren't you coming with me inside? " Minju questioned. She noticed Yujin eyeing the mascot in front of them. 

" No, you go ahead first. I'll be there in a bit " Yujin replied mindlessly. " Did Wonyoung already arrive? " 

" Yes, she came with Hyunjin and Jeong-in. " 

Yujin frowned at that thought but she did not let it bother her. After all, she will make sure that she will be the one to spend the night with Wonyoung after the Spring Fling event. 

xxx

Wonyoung stood amongst the students who were jamming to Travis Scott's Sicko Mode. She did not like the song because all the boys who dared ask Wonyoung out on a date always wore a Travis Scott merch or whose idea of a romantic dinner is the Mcdonald's Travis Scott Meal. She did not move an inch from where she's standing and just resorted to watching her friends go crazy in the middle of the dance floor. Yuri was hogging Hyewon to herself, Hitomi and Nako were hyping Sakura's chicken dance, and Chaeyeon who was having the time of her life seeing Sakura let loose. They were the center of attention and some students even joined them. The bunny checked once again if Eunbi has woken up but much to her dismay, the older girl is still passed out. 

She promised her Mom that she will try to have fun but Wonyoung seems more to be more irritated than entertained. 

Hyunjin left his group of friends when he saw Wonyoung standing like a prude on the sideline. The freshmen had the biggest frown on her face which worried Hyunjin. When he picked up Wonyoung to their house, the girl didn't have the usual glow on her. It was a rather bit dull. He approached the girl and bumped their hips together to get her attention. 

" Hey there, cool cat. " Hyunjin grinned at the girl. But his smile faded when Wonyoung just rolled her eyes at him. 

" Of course, you watched Bratz growing up. " Wonyoung said, checking her nails. " It explains so much, considering you had your hair insured for a thousand bucks."

Hyunjin gritted his teeth. " Why do you keep on testing people? Who are you, Jesus? " 

Wonyoung scoffed. " No way, You'll never see walking around with a name llikeJesus. No offense to him but full offense to Mary and Joseph who came up with a stupid name. " 

" You're going to hell, sweetheart. " Hyunjin crossed his arms. He can't believe he's having this conversation with the Jang Wonyoung. 

" They better have a red carpet laid out for me when I pole danced my way down there. " 

Hyunjin had enough of Wonyoung's sarcasm. He doesn't vibe with the negative energy that Wonyoung is giving off. He cannot let her ruin what's supposed to be a memorable night for him and Jeong-in. 

Wonyoung glared at Hyunjin when the blonde put his arm around the girl's shoulder. " What are you doing? " 

" Look, I don't want you going up there on the stage looking like you ended two happy marriages. " Hyunjin sighed. " Tell me what's wrong. Pretty people got to have each other's backs, yeah? "  

" Who said you were pretty? "

" My boyfriend and everyone that have seen my face " Hyunjin smirked. " I'm sorry that you don't have your girlfriend to tell you that. Oh wait- she's not even your girlfri- " 

Before Hyunjin could finish his words, Wonyoung has already kneed him in the stomach. " I told you Yujin is not my girlfriend! " 

Hyunjin was on his knees, his arms wrapped around his stomach. " Y-yeah.. good talk. "

Everyone witnessed how Wonyoung and Hyunjin were arguing. Some of them who assumed that they were dating in the past few days had become skeptical about their relationship. Also, they had never seen Wonyoung so mad before that she had to be violent. Whatever they were arguing about, Hyunjin must have hit a nerve. 

" And she's not even here so thank you for adding more salt to the wound, . " Wonyoung hissed. Still, she helped Hyunjin to get back up on his feet. Damn, she is having a temper today. 

" Can I ask you a question? " Hyunjin asked.

" Can you go die? " 

He took that as a yes. " I know it's none of my business but I think you should have a long and honest talk with Yujin. " 

" What do you mean by long and honest talk? " Wonyoung was confused as to what Hyunjin was insinuating. 

" The Oprah kind of talk. " 

" Oh. " 

" I don't know what's up with the two of you but I think your beef with Yujin could be resolved if you just talk. " 

Wonyoung slumped her shoulder. She can't believe that she's making it obvious for other people her frustration. " Whatever. " 

xxx

" Tell me something, Chaewon. "

Chaewon just hummed in response. Her gaze not tearing away from the cake that has a hole same as Yena's fist. Her cream bread fist. 

" Do you think I'm annoying? " Yena asked. She was sad to see that the cake she and Chaewon baked for Yuri was ruined just because she was not careful enough to handle it. 

" I mean.. yeah, but it's endearing you see. " Chaewon replied, she looked at Yena who's disappointment she cannot conceal by her outgoing personality. It was one of the rare times when Chaewon gets to see Yena vulnerable. She didn't like how sad she looked. She didn't like how Yena beats herself over a simple case of mishandling something. 

" What's so good about love, anyway? You'll just get hurt. " Chaewon thought to herself. She took the cake from Yena's hand and carefully placed it on the floor. They were at the entrance of the gymnasium when Yena accidentally slipped and punched the cake. They were standing outside for almost 20 minutes because the older girl had a mini breakdown. 

" Am I overdoing it? " Yena asked. She started kicking the pebbles beneath her feet. " Is that why Yuri just won't say yes to me because I always mess up? " 

Chaewon was known for her temper. She doesn't think she has anger issues but people find it funny that she reacts the best when she's being teased. Now, she started questioning herself what's the discomfort she always feels when she sees Yena hopelessly pining for Yuri. It's not that she dislikes Yuri, she loves her even, but Chaewon wishes that Yuri would stop leading Yena on if she has no intentions of reciprocating her feelings. 

" I think I should just give it up. " Yena sighed. She sat down on the cold floor as fatigue starts to kick into her body. Her mind is filled with negative thoughts. She wished she would have just spent the days she wasted on just being with Yuri than trying to get her approval. " I mean come on, I'm just Choi Yena. How in the world would Yuri want to be with me? I don't think anyone would want to be with me. " 

Chaewon sat across Yena. Her person. " I'm going to say this once so you better not make fun of me. " 

Yena laughed weakly. It was cute seeing Chaewon looked so embarrassed. After all, she is not the type to express her feelings just with anyone. It would actually take for someone important to Chaewon to die first before she could tell her true feelings. Just like that one time when Yujin choked on some barbecue ribs and Chaewon was cradling a still choking Yujin, saying that Yujin was the sister she never had. 

Chaewon took Yena's hand and intertwined it with hers. She looked at her straight in the eyes, hoping that her words will somehow uplift Yena's spirit. 

" You're the only person I genuinely don't mind being around with. " Chaewon started. " I don't think I want to be around with anybody if it's not you. "

" Chaewon... " Yena muttered. 

" Zip it " Chaewon shushed Yena. " I'm not finished. " 

A smile formed on Yena's lips. 

" You always have the biggest smile when you talk about Yuri. It suits you the best. So, if you still feel like going inside and confessing you're feelings for her, I will be there beside you. If we have to spend countless nights brainstorming again on how to woo Yuri, then you could just always call me. I hate it when you always drag me to your shenanigans but I guess I like it more when I see you happy... So, stop sulking and make Yuri eat the cake and give her that expensive necklace you bought for her, okay? " 

Yena had to snatch her hands away from Chaewon to hold her sides. Her laughter filled the empty hallways. And even if the music was loud inside, Chaewon could only hear Yena's hearty laugh and the own beating of her heart. 

The duck wiped the tears from her eyes as she pulled her friend into a tight hug. " You said all of that corny stuff as if you were in love with me. " Yena chuckled. " 

Chaewon was about to protest but decided to keep shut. She didn't have a reply to that. 

" Thank you, Chaewon. You're the best! " 

They quickly pulled out from the hug when a sophomore, Yuta interrupted their moment. The boy was wearing nothing but a pair of washed jeans. Yuta looked terrified as if he was mulled by gangsters and took his clothes. 

" What happened to you? " Chaewon asked. He tried reaching for the boy but Yuta jumped to his toes and cried. 

" No!!!! "

Yena scratched the back of her head. If Irene saw Yuta walking in his underwear he would get expelled. " Aren't you supposed to be the Rabid Dog? Where's your costume? " 

Chaewon took from the guy and tossed him the oversized taupe blazer she was wearing. Yuta seems to be less tensed and managed to have eye contact with the girls. 

" S-she stole it.. " 

" Your mascot costume? " Yena asked. 

Yuta sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter