chapter 5: what are you doing in my lawn?!

Missing In Action
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi adjusted her gentle monster sunglasses as she stared directly at the sun. She was feeling a little bit poetic. A paper and a pen would be good, but instead, she's holding a tennis racket on her right hand a can of sprite on her left. She turned around and looked at her friends, who were nice enough to accompany her into the country club. 

" It's been a while since we hang out together. " Eunbi smiled. " This is nice. " 

Wonyoung picked up the tennis ball as it was her turn to serve. " Unnie, where were you even? " 

Minju gripped her racket tightly as she anticipates the serve in her direction. She swings her racket but completely missed the ball. Minju looked at Eunbi, her partner, who was spacing out, her hands in the sky. 

" I have a job, now. " Eunbi stated. Chaeyeon crossed the other side of the tennis court and shook Eunbi's shoulder. 

"Are you serious? You missed one week of school and only attended classes every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday because you have a job? " Chaeyeon turned around to look at Sakura, sitting on a fancy chair while playing some game on her phone to get a reaction from her friend. Sakura just shrugged at Chaeyeon and paused her game to focus her attention on Eunbi. 

" You're not poor. " Wonyoung stated her hands on her hip. " You go to school with different designer bags every day. Why do you get a job all of a sudden? " 

Sakura shook her head at how much of a spoiled brat Wonyoung is. Thank god, she's a cute girl. 

Minju approached Eunbi and was genuinely worried about the older girl's situation. " Did something happen? Can we help in any way? " 

Eunbi took off her glasses and gathered around the girls in her side. Except for Sakura, who stayed in her chair. " I don't want to spill any beans today, but I'll give you guys a hint. " 

The three of them huddled together, curious and excited at their unnie's big revelation. 

" I'M DATING SOMEONE NOW!!!! " 

People in the country club were alarmed when four high-pitched squeals echoed in the whole area. 

" What did she say?! " Sakura shouted from her place. Luckily, she covered her ears when Wonyoung, Minju, Chaeyeon, and Eunbi screeched like middle school kids. 

" She said she's dating someone! " Chayeon answered Sakura. 

" Oh, wow. " Sakura paused for a moment as she processes the information that the Mom of their friend group is currently dating. " What a lucky guy. " 

Wonyoung has never had a crush or interest in someone in her 16 years of existence. But she did fall in love... with herself, of course, but she's happy that Eunbi, the girl who takes care of her and their other friends, has met someone who makes Eunbi happy and loved. Wonyoung was curious who it was. She grabbed hold of Eunbi's shoulders and shook the older girl. 

" So who is it? When can we meet him? Is he hot? Does he dress well? Because if he's a sneakerhead, then break up with him! Men like that rely heavily on their shoes, but they hesitate to work on their fashion sense, especially their face-" 

" Okayyy~ Too much enthusiasm, Wonyoungie! " Chaeyeon pulled Wonyoung's arm to calm her down. Eunbi almost spilled half of her sprite because of the younger girl. 

" You're acting as if I was dating a celebrity... " Eunbi felt the bones of her back cracked when Wonyoung was shaking her. Sometimes the younger girl forgets that her height towers over the rest of their group. Though, they have discussed that sometimes Wonyoung is taller and sometimes Yujin. 

Minju sobbing caught their attention. Eunbi scooped Minju into her arms. " Minju, what's wrong? Why are you crying? "

" A-are you going to marry him? " Minju cried. Sakura threw her head, laughing at Minju's question that she almost fell from her chair. 

" Sweetie, we just started dating. " Eunbi chuckled. Sometimes she wonders if she accidentally adopted 11 girls to take care of without her knowing." Wonyoung handed Minju her silk Louis Vuitton handkerchief to let the girl wipe her tears, but Minju blew her nose on it instead. 

" Thank you, Wonyoung-ah. " Minju sniffled, handing the snot-covered hanky to the taller girl. Wonyoung scowled at the state of her hanky. She inched herself from Minju. 

" Ugh. Just keep it. " 

When the four girls started to act less embarrassing, Sakura decided to join in the conversation by asking about the underlying issue. "So, unnie... Why did you get a job in the first place? " 

" Oh, I want our first date to be special, so I'm earning money for our date. " Eunbi replied proudly. " I'm rich and all, but it's more romantic if I worked hard for it, right? " 

" What kind of job do you have? " Chaeyeon asked. 

" Stocks. " 

Wonyoung and Minju nodded their heads as if they agree on what their unnie said. Chaeyeon, on the other hand, started to doubt the identity of Eunbi's boyfriend. 

" Oh, that's cute. " Sakura replied, quickly losing interest in the conversation. 

" Saku-chan, at least try to look like you're happy for unnie." Chaeyeon reprimanded Sakura. " The second we got here, you haven't moved from that spot." 

" That's right, unnie. Why don't you play tennis with us? " Minju added. Sakura just sighed and dragged her feet to approach her friends. 

" No offense, Sakura, but you look like you're dying from the heat. Why did you even let Chaeyeon bring you here? " Eunbi placed a hand on Sakura's forehead. She doesn't look sick. She just acts like one. 

" That's precisely why I brought her along... She needs some sun. " Chaeyeon answered in Sakura's stead. 

Wonyoung furrowed her eyebrows. " Why? Is she some kind of plant? " 

They looked at Sakura, who just simply rolled her eyes at them. It's not her fault that she likes staying indoors with her trusty PC and gaming consoles. Unfortunately for the Japanese girl, she got a Lee Chaeyeon for a best friend. The epitome of sunshine itself. 

Eunbi is now the center of attention. She even saw some people looking in their direction. Probably to eavesdrop on their conversation.

" So... who's the guy you're dating? " Sakura asked. 

Eunbi started to get nervous. She can't drop a bomb by telling them that she's not dating a guy. More importantly, that's what not concerns Eunbi the most. 

It's because she's dating Hyewon. ONE OF THEIR FRIENDS. The unofficial photographer of their group. Ms. Steal your heart, Kang Hyewon. 

If she told them

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter