Chapter 12

Let Me Love You | XiaoDery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment the sun shines into Xiaojun's room, his eyes lit up. He vividly recalled being sick suddenly yesterday, which was unusual for him.

He's well, and he even kept on staying in their house for the whole four days to avoid seeing his best friend. Then, what caused him to become sick?

Speaking of the devil, Xiaojun remembered his memories of Hendery before falling asleep and waking up sick the next day. He also dreamed of him, and everything that happened to him seemed weird to him.

Did he get sick because of him?

How is that possible?

Xiaojun touched his forehead down to his neck to check if he's still burning hot. Thankfully, he's not anymore and surprisingly, he feels well.

Did someone take care of him?

His hunch was right when he went down to their kitchen and found Hendery making breakfast for him while talking to his sister on the phone.

For once, he didn't doubt Hendery. Despite their conflicts, whenever Xiaojun needed help, Hendery would come to his aid. He does the same to him, and at the end of the day, they make up and share their favorite mint-choco ice cream.

Their friendship is the most important to Xiaojun. Honestly, it's not hard to love Hendery but dating him never crossed his mind. He just finds him very attractive sometimes and blushing for no reason and even scolds himself for thinking that way.

And Xiaojun thinks the one he likes is Lucas.

Or is it possible that he used to like Hendery but didn't mind, or because he is simply unaware?

"Please tell Lucas that I am unavailable. I won't be able to accompany him today, bye!" And then he hung up the phone.

Hendery sensed a familiar presence and turned to face Xiaojun. He was clearly watching him, and he seemed to be deep in thought as well.

His plan was to make him breakfast and leave quietly but apparently, he woke up.

"Hey Dejun." He smiled awkwardly. "Good morning." He added. "I know you probably don't want to see me now but your mom asked me to check you because she's worried that you're sick."

Xiaojun pursed his lips and nodded, and leaned on the chair while staring at the breakfast that Hendery had prepared for him.

Strange. Why does he want to cry?

Is it because he's missed him?

He won't deny that, but he can't say it out loud just like that.

Apart from that, Hendery continues to talk to him as though nothing has happened. It frustrates his heartache.

"Thank you." He said this as he was about to take Hendery's hand and kiss it, but he immediately stopped himself.

It had been his habit, but now is probably not the time to do so.

Hendery seems to have realized that Xiaojun has stopped himself and sighs. He believes that his best friend now hates him.

"How do you feel?"

"I'm fine. I g-guess."

"Great." Hendery's lips were pressed into thin lines, and he was continually fidgeting. He just wants to talk to him, but Xiaojun is too distant.

Sighs the younger. "I'm sorry, Dejun-ah. I know our friendship means a lot to you, and I know how much you cherish it, so here I am, ruining it because of how I feel. Believe me, I have no idea where it all began." Hendery sighed and bit his lower lip. "I understand if you hate me and want to push me away. It's all right. I don't deserve you in the first place, and I believe you'll be fine even though I'm not with you."

When Hendery said that, Xiaojun eventually met his eyes and gazed at him puzzledly.

What exactly is he talking about?

Xiaojun became nervous all of a sudden.

"Hendery I-"

"You don’t have to say anything. You deserve more, you know. Not a friend like me who would destroy our precious friendship and take the risk. It’s just, I don’t want to be a coward anymore.  I'm very sorry, Xiaojun, and I wish you the best of luck. I'd like to express how proud I am of the fact that you made friends on your own."

"Hendery!"

"Shh." Hendery hushed him with his pointer finger and smiled bitterly and he slowly turned his back on him.

What is he thinking?

"Are you going somewhere?" Xiaojun asked but Hendery did not answer and started walking away.

That's why Xiaojun stood up from his seat.

"Where are you going? You're leaving me?!" Xiaojun shouted at him the moment he turned his back. Hendery tried to ignore him and keep walking because if he stopped, he wouldn't be able to stop himself and run back to him and hug him.

"Yah! Why are you being like this?"

"Keep walking, Hendery you idiot."

"YAH WONG GUANHENG!!!" Xiaojun cried. When he calls his real name, it means it's getting serious.

But still, Hendery keeps walking.

"I'm sorry, but you deserve better."

Aish this fool.

"Yah!"

Xiaojun greeted his teeth and removed his slipper from his left foot, tossing it to Hendery. When it fell on his head, he turned to face Xiaojun, but he abruptly stopped when he felt his arms wrap around him.

Hendery flinched, as if he hadn't seen this coming.

Xiaojun's arms were closely wound around him, and Hendery found himself gently hugging him again.

"Why are you apologizing to me? It's not your fault Guanheng. I am the one who should apologize. I'm sorry, I made you think that way and even felt bad about it. I became selfish, I'm really sorry." Xiaojun said, still holding Hendery's arms and refusing to let go.

"B-but," Hendery mumbled, "I ruined our friendship."

He felt like crying as he felt Xiaojun's warmth against him. He clearly missed him, but he messed up. 

"No you didn't, you didn't. I'm really sorry Guanheng, I didn't mean to hurt you like that. I'm just, I...I don't want to lose you just like that. I thought I was protecting our friendship but I didn't realize that I'm hurting you too."

Xiaojun slowly released his grip and looked his best friend in the eyes. When he saw Hendery's tears falling from his eyes, his heart shattered, and the younger is trying not to cry.

Hendery is the most cheerful between them and seeing him like this for the second time made Xiaojun's heart ache once more.

"Please don't feel guilty about it any more. I will never, ever hate you." He wiped the younger's tears away, pulled him in for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter