Chapter 4

Ms. Little Assassin

"You know Sarang has a crush on you" I say. Taehyung looks up from his bowl. I scroll through Mr. Kang's schedule on my phone trying to plan my next hit. I will have to do this upclose and personal. Maybe make it look like a suicide? I am not sure. 
"Really?"
"Yup". I look up and Taehyung is smiling at me. I don't know why but it doesn't feel too good. The fact that he is smiling over what I told him. 
"Well that doesn't really matter because I like you" he says. I roll my eyes and put some ddeokbokki in my mouth. The plan was to get take away and eat at home but Taehyung insisted on  coming with me and eating at the restaurant, and to be frank I didn't mind it too much. Taehyung giggles and I look back down at my phone. I can't poison him again can I?
"So, your apartment. Do you live alone?"
"You ask too many questions"
"You don't ask enough". I look up at him and he is raising one eyebrow. Mental note taken, do a background check on Kim Taehyung. 
"I am just sad you're not as interested in me as I am in you" he says. He is sounding suspicious. Who is he?
"How about we hang out at your place tomorrow then?" I say.
"I can't. I gotta help my aunty out at the restauarant"
"You work?"
"Only when she is short staffed. My parents send enough money so I don't have to work. They want me to concentrate on school". He smiles at me, "I am glad you wanna hang out with me" he says and then looks down blushing. I finish up my food and decide to not tell him that it wasn't that I wanted to hang out with him but rather I wanted to make sure he was who he said he was. 

 

My phone slipped from my fingers as my mind was racing. I knew this day would come. Ahjussi would get taken hostage, or something along those lines. If words slipped out of his mouth, everyone associated with our organisation would fall down. Ahjussi was the glue to the upper levels and the lower levels of the organisation. I don't know much about BAM, because I wasn't supposed to, I kill and they gave me money so I could have a roof over my head and food to eat.  But what I knew is that all my victims had always done something bad, and were all in power positions. I also knew that there were other organisations and governments out there that didn't like our existance, sometimes they take hostages to extort information, they try to track us down, or even attack us. They almost never succeed, because it's hard to know who is in BAM, I don't know anyone else in BAM except for Ahjussi. All my knowlegde comes from him, my skills in hacking was thought by him to me at the age of 8. He thought me to fight ever since that day he picked me up at the orphanage at 6, and told me if I don't fight, I don't survive in this cruel world. 

And now he had sent the code. The code that meant I had to come for him. I pick up my phone and run into my work room. I type on the computer, and while its loading the information I change fast. I put change of clothes into my backpack and make sure all electronics I need to bring along is in it. I go back to my computer and see it's finished loading. I've tracked down Ahjussi's phone, I write down the adress, disable the cctv in my apartment building for the next 10 minutes and run out.

 

I hear the pain in his voice as he is screaming. I try to not let my head get clouded from emotions. I walk in not making myself obvious. They are asking Ahjussi questions about BAM and he is quiet. Not talking. His hands tied behind his back with rope that goes all the way up to the roof forcing him to barely stand up or hang by his wrists as he is bleeding from all the beating. He sees me but his face expression doesnt change. There are only 5 people in this room. It should be easy to take them out. I walk right up behind one of them, put one hand on his mouth stopping him from making a sound as I make him uncouncious by pressing at a specific part of the back of his neck. He falls into my arms and down on the ground. The sound makes the other 4 men turn to me. I wave at them before they start charging towards me.

The 5 men are all laying on the floor, I take out my knife and walk to each one, stabbing their gut once, just to make it diffult for them to run or attack us after they regain conciousness. I think I am done but appearntly not.
"There's another 10 of them" Ahjussi says. And they start running in. And that's when he appears. He's right beside me, the same outfit as last time, he looks at me with those familiar eyes and something tells me, he is not here to fight me. He charges at the mobsters and so do I. We fight them, I make sure to stab most, I don't let anger take over, if you are emotional during a mission it never ends well. This is just a job. When I see there is 3 people left to fight I let mystery man deal with it and run to Ahjussi to let him free. I cut the rope with my knife.
"That's all of the people that were in the building. We should be fine now" he he says as he is removing the rope. For someone whos is bleeding that much he seems to not be too bad. I look towards mystery man and he's just knocked the last man unconcious. Our eyes meet before he turns around and starts running. 
"I'll be back" I yell to Ahjussi as I start running after the mystery man. He is fast but I am right after him. We get to a dead end and he is trapped, he doesn't know this place well. That means he came here in a hurry. I am slowly taking steps towards him.
"Who are you?" I ask.
He doesn't answer but I am approaching him. He starts taking steps towards me and I am confused. 
"I said who are you!" I am angry this time. My hand reach up to take his hood off but he slaps it away and instead his right hand go to cover my eyes. And it's like all my reflexes have left my  body. I could simply take a step back and not be blinded but I am stuck in place. His hands on my eyes are soft. I feel him swiftly pull my mask down wrap his other arm around my waist and then magic. I am short of breath, still blinded, with his soft lips on mine. I don't understand what is wrong with me, I should move, push him, reveal his identity, but I do none of that because I am frozen. Frozen by how delighted I am to be touched, to be kissed, to be held so close to another body. And when he pulls away, pulls his hand off my eyes and I am staring at him, I do nothing. Nothing and just let him run past me. 

"Thank you for coming for me" Ahjussi is resting in my couch. 
"I just followed protocol" I say handing him tea.
He looks a little dissapointed. He gestures me to come over to him and I do. I sit beside him on the couch and he holds my hand.
"I am sorry I raised you to be a sociopath" he says. And I don't know if he is joking. He hits me playfully.
"Yah, your father almost died and that's your response?" he says. And I know something is wrong. Ahjussi never shows me compassion, never shows me fatherly love unless something is wrong.
"What's going on?"
"I have to go into hiding for a few months to get them of my tail"
"No"
"Jia, listen you'll be f-"
"No! You can't leave me!" I yell getting up. Ahjussi sits up straight on the couch, looks at me with hard eyes. 
"Kim Jia! What have I told you about being emotional?" he is stern. I am not being emotional. I don't know what emotions is, but I knew that the only constant in my world could not dissapear. Not like this. Ahjussi always moved around with me, I'd never gone a week without seeing him in my entire life.
"I need to go away, travel for 6 months. I will be back. I wouldn't leave you alone if I didn't think you're grown and strong enough to do this. It's for your own safety as well. We don't want you to be discovered" Ahjussi explains.
He tells me how everything will work. How my missions will be sent to me by mail. Whom I need to call when I need help. How the money will be transfered to me through crypto. How I still need to maintain my fake identity as well as possible. He tells me to fit in, be a kid, enjoy highschool. And then he leaves.