Chapter 3

Ms. Little Assassin

I am staring at Taehyung. His face goes from shock to embarrassment, not what I expected.
"How did you get into my phone?"
"I hacked it"
There is a silence. I raise my left eyebrow.
"So, why do you, Taehyung. Have a picture of me from weeks ago?" I ask slowly.
He sighs. "I saw you on the streets a few weeks ago and thought you were really pretty". His cheeks are rosy again, and he bites his lip a bit, breaks eyecontact with me, looks at his fingers and then back up at me, "so I decided to take a picture. I don't usually do that to random girls. But it felt like you were special and I'd never see you again. But then you started our school and I got happy, I got a chance to get to know you" he says. And I can't tell if he is telling the truth, I can't read him like I can everyone else. But for some reason I want to believe him.
"So you are saying, you are attracted to me?" I ask.
He bites his lip again, "I thought that was obvious" he mumbles. 
"No, I can't seem to tell when it comes to you" I say breaking one of my personal rules, don't give more information than necessary. I throw his phone to him.
"Ok"
"Ok?" he looks confused. 
"Ok I believe you"

"What about what I said? About having a crush on you?"
"What about it?". I am over this conversation. I want him out of my bed and flat. 
"Do you like me back?"
"I don't think I am capable of having romantic feelings. And I don't want to be. It only leaves you with a weakness". I did it again, giving out more information than necessary.  Taehyung seems to not know what to say to that because he is quiet. 
"I need you to leave soon. I got things to do and sort out" I break the silence. He nods and gets out of my bed. 
I watch him with every step. Gathering his thoughts. Drinking the second cup of water on the bedstand , putting his socks on, walking out of my room, through my living room to the front door and putting his shoes on. He is ready to leave when he smiles at me. He pushes my hair back behind my ear and I have to fight myself to stop my reflexes to dogde and punch. 
"Thank you for taking care of me" he says. I nod and he turns around opens the door and leaves. 

 


I click the button closing the door behind me as I go to sit infront of the computer. I type a few things and I have hacked into the Dynasty system. Dynasty is Kang Hyungjin's legacy, the legacy he built illegaly. It might be one of the biggest companies in south korea but it definetly didn't deserve to be. I look at Hyungjin's schedule, he is abroad and is supposed to be coming home tomorrow. I am thinking, what would be the easiest way to off him gauranteed he would die. I look at my poison shelf, Thallium sulfate. I tap keys on the keyboard and hack myself into the security system at the Kang residence. I study the family for the rest of the day.
 


I am in all black hoping I blend into the background. I remember, before I reach the first camera, I pull out my laptop real fast, type, and the security video in the residency gets swapped out to an old repeating one. ALL OF THEM. I have  20 minutes before they switch back to usual. I turn my timer on, look back at the computer, type a few things and the whole security system is shut off, all doors are open. I put my laptop back in the bag and  I slowly open the door.

I am looking at the small monitor that I have strapped to my forearm and am switching between the  real cctv videos, making sure the rooms I am about to enter are empty as I go through it the mission. 

I have made it into Kang's room with no trouble and without being discovered. I look at the time. He takes his meds around this time. I look at around and find the water on the table with medicine beside it. I take out the Thallium Sulfate and pour some into the water. This is the most boring way to assasinate someone but it was also the least suspicious way. I look at the monitor and see that Kang is on the stairs heading to his room. I close the poison, put it back in my bag and hide in the closet. I am watching closely as he walks into the room.  Kang sits at his desk while he rubs his temples, and then he gets back up, paces around a bit before he decides to finally go for the medicine and the water. He puts the pill in his mouth, raises the glas to his lips and.
BAAM

The door opens, Kang looks back, and he walks up to him. He is dressed similarly to me,  all black, backpack, a black  mask covering his nose and mouth and a hood to hide the rest only revealing his eyes. He grabbs the water from Kang and throws it on the floor. He is here to stop my mission. . . . Kang is yelling, he is saying he is going to call the security. But the guy doesn't seem to care instead I see him turn to me, he knows I am in the closet because I can tell he is smiling through his eyes and they seem oddly familiar. And then he looks at the window and starts running. I open the closet getting out. I have to catch him. Kang is yelling saying something but I am tuning him out as I bolt through the window.

I lost him. I lost him. I lost him. I am walking back in the rain , mask off. A blue hoody ontop of my mission clothes and hair down. Kang had probably notified the police and they had a description, I had to look normal. And this is the most normal I can look changing in an allyway. I put my earphones in and call Ahjussi.
"Who the was that? Was he one of ours?" I ask.
"I'll see you in your flat". He drops the call and I find myself more aggitated than before.

 

Ahjussi has made me tea. He is looking at me fondly but this is not the time. I am angry. And I realise that's why he is looking at me fondly. Ahjussi pats my head and I calm down a bit. In all senses this man is my father, he picked me up at the orphanage and raised me as his own. But he raised me to become an assasin. He raised me and trained me to be who I am today. I was just an investment. That's what I tell myself but in moments like this I can't help but think otherwise.
"The government has been countering our strikes lately. They have a divison for this. They assasinate as well, and save, depends on what fits them. They can't really arrest us or that would reveal their division and all their crimes. So instead they sometimes hack our systems and counter our missions". Ahjussi takes a sip of his cup.
"We don't have our assasins profiles in our systems, so they don't actually know who you are. It wasn't personal. Don't worry".
"I am not worried. I am angry, this is my first failed mission".  Ahjussi shoots me a smile and tells me it's ok because it wasn't my fault. After tea we train as he asks me about how I am doing in school.

 

"Hey Ji". Since when were Taehyung and I on nickname basis? He sits down infront of me smiling and I put some kimchi into my mouth. His hair is styled downwards towards his eyes, still a little too long for school dress code regulations. 
"How was your weekend?" he asks as he starts to eat. I think for a little while and I decide to not answer. 
"I thought we were moving forward. But I guess you still don't want to be my friend" he mutters.
"I don't have friends" I say and then look right into his eyes. They're brown and warm. His cheeks go a little red and he opens his mouth to answer but before he is able to Sarang sits down beside Taehyung chiming "Hi" and Namjoon sitting down beside me. The rest of the cafeteria notes this, that Sarang is hanging out with me. Taehyung greets her back, I don't say anything but keep eating. Taehyung and Sarang talk while Namjoon scrolls on his phone. Sarang giggles at Taehyung's joke and I realise, the look in her eyes.