will

To Be Part of This World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
will

 

 

“What will happen if one day there’s a whole generation of offsprings without the ‘sight’ in the family? Who will handle all the supernatural business? What will happen to Jeju or even South Korea? Will the world end and become ruled by the supernatural?”

 

Jongdae babbled on, oblivious to the bizarre looks he was receiving as he laid flat down on the bench in Naesae. Chinsun raised herself from her usual position behind the counter and exchanged a look of confusion with Baekhyun who poked his head from behind a bookshelf. Jongin on the other hand had only just emerged from the kitchenette halfway through Jongdae’s restless monologue and was already retreating. To his dismay, Chinsun had a faster reaction and latched onto his sleeve, preventing him from escaping.

 

“Imagine a generation Jongdaes,” the agitated male continued. “Who would carry on the secret family business? And the bookshop! Who would guard the bookshop? Someone without the ‘sight’ can’t possibly take on the role. No no no. Jongin and Chinsun, I don’t know what on earth is going on between you two but for the sake of tradition you two better creates lots of talented offsprings with the ‘sight’ okay?”

 

Jongin’s face twisted and turned, somehow managing to reach a whole new level of grouchiness. Meanwhile, Chinsun had a blank expression,one that was completely impossible to decipher. Jongdae blinked innocently at his cousin and childhood friend, wondering why neither of them was responding to his very serious concerns.

 

Eventually, it was Baekhyun’s inability to hold back his snigger that broke the pregnant silence.

 

“A generation of Jongdaes,” Baekhyun chortled. “That sounds like a real nightmare. Looks like you two just got even more responsibilities laid upon your shoulders.”

 

“I mean, you two have such strong spiritual powers. Surely your genes will be so strong that it will overcome everything and create model offsprings with the ‘sight’ that will protect our lands,” Jongdae exclaimed dramatically.

 

A constipated hiss could be heard coming from Jongin. Jongdae saw his cousin clenching his fists and let out a squeal of distress. If he knew one thing for certain was that he never wanted to be at the mercy of Jongin’s fists. Fortunately for Jongdae, Chinsun swept in like a saviour, poking Jongin in the ribs and sending him jostling back. She then gave him a firm stare, much like the one an owner would give to a misbehaving puppy before turning her attention to Jongdae.

 

“Why the worry?” Chinsun hummed with unexpected nonchalance. “We’ve still got Uncle Kim and Aunt Kwon. If necessary, those two can consider procreating for the sake of humanity.”

 

At the thought of that, Jongin’s stern expression cracked and was replaced by one of contrived amusement. On the one hand he did not dare imagine having mini Heechul and mini Boa running around the place. On the other hand, the mere thought of his uncle and Chinsun’s aunt getting together was an idea so out of this world that it almost deserved the award for joke of the year.

 

“So propose the plan to them first since they are first in line?” Baekhyun mused. “Seems only fair since you guys are the younger generation.”

 

Chinsun’s casual statement triggered an exchange of banter and teasing between herself and Baekhyun. Jongin though was all too eager to exit the premises and return to his duties in the funeral home.

 

As laughter and giggles filled up the humble and ancient bookshop, Jongdae’s lips were curled into a cheshire smile. However, his eyes remained hollow. The late morning sun flittered through the windows. The shadows formed danced in the interiors and Jongdae gladly allowed his features be veiled by them. Unbeknownst to everyone else, a seed of forgotten doubt and pessimism was now showing signs of blooming within male, and there was nothing to cut it off with.

 

Jongdae stared at Chinsun and then in the direction in which Jongin disappeared. Although Jongdae was sitting within arm’s reach of the girl, he felt an immense gulf planted firmly between them, preventing him from getting any closer. Jongdae loved Jongin and Chinsun unconditionally — there was no questioning that, but… But… But w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter