fine.

To Be Part of This World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
fine.

 

 

The three males wordlessly followed behind Chinsun like ducklings trailing behind the mother duck. After some clumsy tripping and bumping into each, they managed to reach the basement of Naesae all in one piece.

 

“So,” Baekhyun smiled nervously, “soul stealing huh?”

 

“Yes soul stealing,” Chinsun repeated as she dropped to the ground next to Jongin.

 

The two supernatural experts each had a chalk in hand and slowly moved away from each other to then meet again on the other side, drawing a circle on the ground in the process. Jongdae was ordered to stand in the middle, staring at them awkwardly as the circle came to life once it was filled with undecipherable symbols.

 

“To dream of a dead one is a bad omen,” Chinsun continued. “If the dream takes place somewhere near water it’s even more dangerous. Was it?”

 

Chinsun looked up briefly at Jongdae and the latter inadvertently looked away only to bump into Jongin’s piercing gaze instead.

 

“Yes,” Jongdae admitted reluctantly. “It was always at the secret beach, and dad— he— it always stood next to the sea.”

 

“According to legend, when you dream of a dead loved one who calls out to you, your soul will be stolen if you embrace them,” Chinsun sighed in exhaustion. “You dreaming of your dead next to the sea while it’s the middle of winter. I suppose explains the sensations we experienced. Being drowned by cold water and all that.”

 

Chinsun and Jongin threw their chalks aside simultaneously. After nodding at each other in agreement, they each kneeled on one side of the circle and pressed their palms together. Then they closed their eyes and breathed in deeply. When Chinsun exhaled, a high-pitched whistling sound flew out of her lips, imitating the sound of a flute. Jongin on the other hand let out a low hum — his voice even lower than normal, so deep that it sounded like it was coming from his chest.

 

The two voices twisted and turned and danced together in a rhythmic harmony. Even though Jongdae was the target of the cleansing ritual, Baekhyun felt his body loosening and his mind opening from being simply exposed to the sounds. Chinsun and Jongin seemed to experience the same effect despite being the ones conducting it all.

 

Jongdae allowed himself to be engulfed by the magic of the moment. An indescribable warmth grazed his skin before enveloping him in the embrace that he had been so desperate to obtain from his father in his dreams.

 

・・・

 

No one dared to utter any sound even after the ritual was over. Everyone remained still, rooted in their position, unable to break the equilibrium. Who knows how much time had passed until Jongdae carefully opened his eyes and allowed his eyes to travel across the room, to take in the faces of his loved ones, to thank them for their presence.

 

“Jongin’s right, Im’ such an idiot,” Jongdae whimpered weakly. “I’m such a idiot for doubting myself and being so weak.”

 

“What? No—”

 

“No it’s true.” Jongdae cut Chinsun off after fin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter