good

To Be Part of This World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
good

 

 

Staring absentmindedly at his surroundings through his only viable eye, Baekhyun wondered if normal life had always been so mundane. But then again, what was ‘normal’? Despite being back with his family, returning to the place he grew up in, somehow Baekhyun felt like a puzzle out of place. The empty spot that was previously occupied by him had changed  in shape and size. It was a subtle shift, however it was evident enough that it had been irking Baekhyun like an itch on his back that he could not reach.

 

Everything that happened since he met Chinsun and Jongin, since he knocked over that ancient book, since he had inadvertently gained the ‘sight’; very small detail and happening that led to that fated stormy day on the cliff; it all felt like a dream, a dream that left Baekhyun yearning for more. Would he have been able to overcome his writer’s block had he not stepped into Naesae and overheard Chinsun and Jongin’s hushed conversation? What would have become of his future as an author had he not been granted access to a whole other world seen through only their eyes?

 

The world through their eyes was addictive, so much so that Baekhyun still struggled to come to terms with his return to the ordinary. Yet again, what was the ‘ordinary’?

 

“When are you planning to move back to Seoul darling?”

 

The soothing voice of his mother interrupted Baekhyun from his endless thoughts. Blinking slowly, Baekhyun shifted his attention towards his ageing mother walking next to him. With the lively cityscape as backdrop, her silhouette was framed by the setting sun. Following the boisterous celebrations of the Mid-Autumn Festival, the mother and child duo finally had some moments of peace and had thus gone out on a coffee date.

 

They were now taking a walk around the city for some fresh air, despite the chilly wind dancing around them. Contrasting with the calm and quiet streets of Jeju that was unobstructed by edifices, Seoul was filled to the brim with obnoxious neon signs and snobbishly tall buildings that left no room for breathing. Baekhyun grew up as a city boy, yet he found himself questioning how he managed to feel at ease in such a chaotic and busy environment before.

 

“Move back?” Baekhyun echoed the words that tasted strangely sour on his tongue.

 

“Yes, move back home,” Mrs Byun repeated. “Or are you planning to stay in Jeju for a bit longer? I’m happy that you found inspiration for work at Jeju and you certainly look content, however you’re reaching the age where you should start settling down and making roots.”

 

“I… Haven’t given that much thought yet.” Baekhyun swallowed loudly, desperately knocking on his brain for a way to postpone the topic for as long as he could.

 

“Alright then,” Mrs Byun sighed . “How long are you staying in Seoul then? Your fath

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter