Chapter 7

Let it be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The night's wind blew cooled her body which was only covered with a thin t-shirt and sweatpant. According to doctor, she will have to be admitted to the ward next weekend. But for some reason, since this evening she has started to feel pain in her abdomen.

 

At first, Yongsun thought she was just having a normal stomach ache as a result of wrong-eating but now she was convinced that the baby in her womb was already looking forward to seeing the world.

 

Yongsun arranged her steps slowly, through under a palm tree that had just begun to sprout, towards her neighbor's house, Jung Hyeran. A neighbour who was asked by Auntie Shin Young to look after her welfare during her stay at her old house. 

 

"Ahjumma! Ahjumma!" called Yongsun as she knocked on the door of her neighbor's house repeatedly, expecting Hyeran to quickly open it. Her hope was poured into drain. Hyeran's door was still closed tightly.

 

"Omma, Yongsun unnie is calling. I think she is about to give birth," said Jeong-o after peeking through the window of their house.

 

She watched Yongsun's wrinkled face and her hand anchored on her stomach convinced Jeong-o that her guess was right. She was confident that Yongsun will have a baby soon, sooner than the doctor expected.

 

Jeong-o's heart was lulled with joy, she couldn't wait to see the cute baby that Yongsun would give birth to later. She kept hoping that her mother and father would allow her to follow along when they sent Yongsun to the hospital.

 

"I'm too lazy to tend that woman," said Hyeran. 

 

"Let call dad, mom. Maybe Yongsun unnie is about to give birth. Dad promised with Shin Young ahjumma to take her to the hospital if she wants to give birth. I also wants to come too. I can't wait to see Yongsun unnie's baby. They must be cute too." said Jeong-o while carving a smile.

 

Unlike Jeong-o, Hyeran's face turned sour as soon as she heard her daughter's words. She walked lazily into the room to find her husband who was still snoring since returning from work this afternoon. In less than two minutes, she stepped out again.

 

"Your father is sleeping, Jeong-o. Let that woman. Her baby won't come out until next week. She just wants to borrow some kitchen things." Hyeran muttered as she reached for her husband's shirt which already washed and dried this afternoon. She folded the shirt neatly before putting it in the basket.

 

Jeong-o's smile died with her unfulfilled hopes  How could her mother made the decision without discussing first with her father.

 

"Have a pity on Yongsun unnie, mom. Everyone has made mistakes," said Jeong-o, hoping that Hyeran would open the door to Yongsun who was still faithfully waiting outside. 

 

"Shut up, Jeong-o! What do you know? You're still small. Don't teach me what to do. That Shin Young too, leave her burden on us. Then, she happily back to Jeju. She thinks we are her slave? We are the ones who have to bear everything." said Hyeran arrogantly. She then sat on the couch in the living room. If earlier she was busy folding her husband's clothes, now she was busy sorting her children's clothes as well. 

 

"Mom, Let me open the door, yeah? If Yongsun unnie wants anything, let me just help her." said Jeong-o, offering to help. 

 

Jeong-o was actually not happy to see Yongsun who was pregnant waiting alone outside. After all, Yongsun was a good person. The girl helped Jeong-o a lot in her studies at school. Any questions of English, history up to the Mathematics, Yongsun sure had the answers. In fact, the girl was also fluent in English.

 

"Don't be so clever as to make your own decisions, Jeong-o! I told you not to care about that girl. Go to your room, finish your homework!" Hyeran's said fiercely. 

 

"My school work is already done, mom,"

 

"Even if its done, youdont need to read a book? Your exam is next month. Can you get full A's?" Hyeran Scolded her daughter who still did not want to give up to help Yongsun.

 

Hyeran was convinced that the doctor who treated Yongsun that she expected the young mother to give birth as early as next weekend.

 

"But mom..."

 

"Thre's no but, Jeong-o. Do you want to be like that girl when you grow up? Her parents also don't want to help her either!" said Hyeran. 

 

"Mom!! How could you talk to people like that," said Jeong-o as she pursed her lips, stepping angrily into the room.

 

"Always she has something to talk back." said Hyeran.

 

"Ahjumma!" call Yongsun for the umpteenth time.

 

"Be patient, my baby. Mommy will find a way," Yongsun said weakly as she rubbed her stomach. Slowly she gave up and walked back to her house. 

 

She sat in front of her house's door, unable to endure the pain after she called the ambulance herself. 

 

She raised her head to the quiet night sky that full with the moon and stars. The night wind constantly blew to her. She rubbed her stomach again. Her heart did not stop praying, hoping that her baby would be safely born to this world.

 

__________________________________________________________

 

 

Sweat splashed from her forehead as she pushed the baby in the labor room. The pain disappeared for a moment when the sound of her baby's first cry greeted her eardrum.

 

Despite the pain, Yongsun tried to raise her face, looking at the small child wrapped in a white towel in the arms of a nurse. Then the baby, who still looked red, was laid on her chest. Yongsun's hand trembled as she laid her hand on her baby's smooth skin.

 

"Congratulations, ma'am. You've got a daughter," said the nurse.

 

"Is there anyone you want me to contact to share this good news?" The nurse asked, offer herself to help.

 

"No one," Yongsun replied weakly.

 

"If you need anything, press the button next to the bed. I will come to assist you," she explained. Yongsun just nodded.

 

"Thank you, nurse," Yongsun said before the nurse disappeared behind the door.

 

The first time yongsun looked at the little girl, her heart was beginning to feel affection. Although her baby was born out of nowhere as Yongsun had hoped, her little face was pure white, free from the stain.

 

Through the look of her eyes, the baby girl she gave birth to was not identical to her appearance. However, it did not in the least change the feeling of affection that was already firmly ingrained in Yongsun's heart. She wanted to keep the baby. Her instinct as a mother did not allow the baby to be taken away from her as auntie Shin Young had planned before.

 

Her baby girl had a pointed nose, small triangle mouth and the shape of her eyes was narrow, probably exactly as her father who Yongsun didn't know who he was.

 

Ah, Yongsun was  tired of thinking about her baby's father. She bored aredy. The main question now, the baby she gave birth to was a child of her own blood. Yongsun was not willing to hand her baby over to anyone.

 

But can she raise her own child? Even her own career was not guaranteed. Yongsun was afraid that the desire in her heart to take care of her baby would not be fulfilled. Is she strong enough to keep fighting, trying to be the best mother among the best, trying to make her dreams into reality?

 

What about auntie Shin Younh? Will the woman accepted Yongsun's decision to raise her own child? Could it be that her auntie will urge her to hand over the baby to the adoptive family as planned before.

 

"My baby..." said Yongsun, holding her baby tightly to her chest. Her lips was brought closer to his daughter's face.

 

Even though her face and the baby's were not identical, the baby was still her flesh and blood. Nine months she became Yongsun's true friend. Nothing can change a mother's love for her child. The clear drops that fell on her cheeks were quickly wiped away. She was so happy with the birth of her child.

 

From a tiny particle to turning into an embryo, a fetus and then a baby, Yongsun has never tried to find a suitable name for her child. Her heart was embroidered with worry.

 

Yongsun was afraid that she would not be able to forget her baby after auntie Shin Young handed over her child to the family. But after seeing the baby, all of fear was disappeared. Yongsun was determined to raise the baby herself even though she knew their life journey will be mess. In fact, she could already guess that auntie Shin Young would not approve of her decision.

 

"Should we named you Byul? Because before you were born just now, we both looked at the night sky with full stars? Kim Byul? It sound weird, right? Ermm.. what you think ofKim Eun Byul? It nice?" Yongsun said to her baby. 

 

Her baby's eyes, which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter